PDA

View Full Version : How do you deload?

fixationdarknes
06-10-2010, 02:23 AM
On Monday my Squat work sets looked like this:

215 x 5
215 x 5
215 x 10

The last set took a lot out of me, really pushed it hard there (didn't actually plan on being able to get that many reps).

So this Wednesday my working sets ended up looking like this:

185 x 10
185 x 8
185 x 6

It was still hard because I was still a bit rocked from Monday, but obviously I eased up on the load of the barbell there a bit, and went for more reps. Should I have used less weight? Should I have done less reps? More reps? It's just I don't want to go so light that it's not even productive, but I don't want to go too heavy that I don't allow myself to recover for heavy Deadlifts on Friday.

Any input would be appreciated.

Lones Green
06-10-2010, 03:19 AM
I'd probably skip squatting all together and just do the assistance on a deload

tnathletics2b
06-10-2010, 04:37 AM
The 5/3/1 deload week percentages was around 40% if I am not mistaken. It's basically no more than a warmup. Same rep scheme as well, btw.

NickAus
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I would do things that are not very taxing on the system, no heavy squats, pulls or pressing.

Personally I like to do a bunch of lat work and not much else.

Another option is to work on form on the big 3 while keeping it light, then do a small amount of assistance work.

Deload should be a deload.

robchris
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I generally do no more than 50-60% of 1rm for 3x5... After 4-6 weeks of heavy weights your body really needs a break so dont push it on deload week!

fixationdarknes
06-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Hm... well, I do full-body sessions 3x/week so there really is no "assistance" work. I suppose I could swap in a Leg Press which is sorta what I used to do. Also, I don't know what my 1RM for Squats is right now, so I'm not sure how to calculate the 50% or whatever it is.

ThomasG
06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Hm... well, I do full-body sessions 3x/week so there really is no "assistance" work. I suppose I could swap in a Leg Press which is sorta what I used to do. Also, I don't know what my 1RM for Squats is right now, so I'm not sure how to calculate the 50% or whatever it is.

Your 1rm for squats is going to be around 287lbs.

tnathletics2b
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM

I would qualify assitance work as anything that wasn't part of the big 3 plus military press. I have been doing full body workouts to, but I consider my chinups, good mornings, dips, etc., assistance to my deads, squats, and bench.

Deload weeks I will do 40-50% of my powerlifts, then nice, fluid reps on assistance work. It is meant to be kinda easy- I just like to break a light sweat then I am done.

ScottYard
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I just had a deload day yesterday.

I do little to nothing on a deload day and I do it every 4th week. \

MY best competition lifts for the squat and pull are a raw 750 for both.

yesterday on my deload workout I worked up to 405 on each lift for a couple easy reps.

Thats 55% of my best single.

I like to take it very easy on a deload day. No need to do hardly anything but get extra rest in for your tough workouts to come.

SELK
06-11-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think I put enough stress on my body to deload every 4th week, I usually deload every 12-16 weeks but I have gone longer. I do however, find taking the week off before a contest and tapering the training the final 3-4 weeks before that makes me stronger on the platform.

fixationdarknes
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Hm... alright I see. So, am I using the wrong term here saying "deload" then? This is something I'd do every week. I squat heavy on Monday and Deadlift heavy on Friday, and so on Wednesday I don't want to go too heavy with Squats so as to give me a bit of rest for Deads on Friday.

For reference, my workouts this week (everything other than the Squats/Deads rotate on an ABA--BAB pattern) looked like:

Monday: Squats (full intensity), OH Press, Rows, Dips
Wednesday: Squats (deload?), Bench, Situps, Chinups,
Friday: Deadlifts, OH Press, Rows, Dips

The main purpose for Wednesday is so that my lower back doesn't get too rocked for Friday. Should I just do a Leg Press or something on Wednesday or keep it light with the Squats? Would light Squats there just be a waste of my time?

Eric Downey
06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
nothing over %80 for 4 to 6 weeks

IronDiggy
06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
If it's just a training deload I take a few days off and just relax. For a meet I take a week off before and after.

BloodandThunder
06-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Before a meet, I usually stick to the main lifts 70% or less for frequency
After a meet, I avoid barbell lifts for a week
Otherwise, if I know I'm going on vacation or driving home for a weekend, I'll plan my training to accumulate fatigue so I can sit out for a week or short time and rest.

The more years you accumulate in this sport, the more you need to listen to your body and take a break or deload by waving your intensity and rep scheme. I'm not at that level yet, so if I seem beat up, I'll do a week where I completely change my routine up or just hit GPP hard and do light lifting. More often that not, if you're asking if you need to deload, you really don't have to.

fixationdarknes
06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, but I guess I sort of re-phrased my question. Can you offer any direct input here:

Hm... alright I see. So, am I using the wrong term here saying "deload" then? This is something I'd do every week. I squat heavy on Monday and Deadlift heavy on Friday, and so on Wednesday I don't want to go too heavy with Squats so as to give me a bit of rest for Deads on Friday.

For reference, my workouts this week (everything other than the Squats/Deads rotate on an ABA--BAB pattern) looked like:

Monday: Squats (full intensity), OH Press, Rows, Dips
Wednesday: Squats (deload?), Bench, Situps, Chinups,
Friday: Deadlifts, OH Press, Rows, Dips

The main purpose for Wednesday is so that my lower back doesn't get too rocked for Friday. Should I just do a Leg Press or something on Wednesday or keep it light with the Squats? Would light Squats there just be a waste of my time?

Sean S
06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Based on what you are asking, I would just keep the weights pretty light on Wed. Something along the lines of 70-80% of what you used on your Monday SQ sets. Use that as a starting point. If you still feel your DL's on Friday are compromised, then back off even further on Wed. What you are really asking is how to do a "light" day, not really a deload. A deload is usually refers to a longer time period than one training sessions where you are trying to decrease the overall training stress to recuperate and supercompensate from recent heavy training.
I'm guessing not many here in the powerlifting section are using a three-day full body split like you are, so it may be difficult to get very specific advice. Thus, you may have to just pick a starting point and use some trial and error from there.

fixationdarknes
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Okay that makes sense, thanks for explaining. Well, here's where I am dilemma'd though. The main reason my Friday DL's would be compromised is due to the lower back work that Squats take. So, would it be wiser to do a light Squat day on Wednesday or a heavy Leg Press day or something? I think my legs can handle the work, but my back just needs to take it easy. I'm not sure what would be more effective use of my time.

Sean S
06-16-2010, 08:01 AM
I would start by leaving the squats in there, just really light. If after a few weeks your low back is still a problem for DL's on Friday, then you can try and swap it out with leg presses or something. Ideally you could do something like a belt SQ on Wed, but most people don't have access to one.

fixationdarknes
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
So by going "light" with Wednesday's Squats though, what exactly am I accomplishing? Does this help my strength or recovery in the long run? Does it still help in a bodybuilding sense in any way? (I know this is a powerlifting forum though)

Also, if I get a belt and use it on Wed, should I still be going light? Or would that allow me to keep my lower back unstressed when going for the same weight or even a PR on Wednesday?

Thanks.

Phenom
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm on the Wendler routine, the deload week is 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5 of 90% of my 1RM. So effectively it's 3 sets of 5, the weights are 36%, 45%, and 54% of my 1RM.

ironwill727
06-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Why not just ditch squats on Wednesday? Going light never made anyone strong. Just make Wednesday a bench/upper day.

fixationdarknes
06-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Why not just ditch squats on Wednesday? Going light never made anyone strong. Just make Wednesday a bench/upper day.

Well because I'm doing 3x full body workouts each week. It wouldn't make sense to me to just do upper on Wednesday =/ Should I do a fairly heavy Leg Press on Wednesday (since that would leave my lower back free to rest) as opposed to light Squats? I'm not sure what would be better use of my time.

Sean S
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Remember that "light" training can be useful in the proper context. If you rely exclusively on light training, of course you probably won't optimize your strength, but if it's used correctly in an overall program it can be good. Many powerlifters utilize dynamic effort training (which by definition isn't heavy) and find it seems to help in the overall process of building strength. Use your Wed squats (with light weights) to really solidify your technique by getting some quality reps in.
Again, you are just going to have to try something for a while and see how it works. All of our theorizing doesn't mean as much as you getting under the bar and trying some things out to see what works best for you.

fixationdarknes
06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Okay I see, thanks. Last Monday my Squats looked like:

-220 x 5
-220 x 5
-220 x 8

On Wednesday they looked like:
-175 x 5
-175 x 5
-175 x 5

I didn't have a belt though for the light stuff (I've never really actually used a belt before). Does that seem about right? It didn't really push me too hard but I still felt I got some work in.