PDA

View Full Version : Knee Sleeves - APT vs Elite FTS

StLRPh
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Has anyone tried both brands? I have EFS's heavy knee sleeves in a large and I'm having a real hard time getting them on (gained about 15lbs since I bought them). My first pair of knee sleeves were the red and black APT knees sleeves which I also outgrew.

I'm really curious how the 2ply Convict sleeves compare to the heavy knees I have now. Are they more comfortable/easier to get on? More or less carryover? General impressions?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

edit: Also curious about the Inzer XT's, any experiences with those?

Thanks,

matt

44pirate
06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
I've been using APT double convicts XL. They are kinda worn. Thought I would get another new pair, good luck, the've been out of stock for a year. Got a pair of the Elitefts heavys. They are of the same construction. I got an XL in them also. I can't get them over my knee yet. I need to stretch them a bit. I would say they are the same. Convicts are black and white striped. Elites are Black.

Tom Mutaffis
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Has anyone tried both brands? I have EFS's heavy knee sleeves in a large and I'm having a real hard time getting them on (gained about 15lbs since I bought them). My first pair of knee sleeves were the red and black APT knees sleeves which I also outgrew.

I'm really curious how the 2ply Convict sleeves compare to the heavy knees I have now. Are they more comfortable/easier to get on? More or less carryover? General impressions?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

edit: Also curious about the Inzer XT's, any experiences with those?

Thanks,

matt

EFS has had all kinds of problems with their sizing, I guess that they sized them way too small and so an XL fits someone who would usually wear a Medium in other sleeves. I have heard mostly good things about the Inzer sleeves except that they are pricey and can seperate (it is basically three wraps stiched together).

Are you set on cloth? Or would you consider neoprene?

Currently I alternate between a pair of Double Ply APT Convict sleeves and Tommy Kono neoprene sleeves. For a heavy knee sleeve you cannot beat the APT convicts - they are comfortable/supportive and probably do give a little bit of carryover as well.

StLRPh
06-13-2010, 06:27 AM

I'd be OK with anything really but I do want something with good carryover

Tom Mutaffis
06-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd be OK with anything really but I do want something with good carryover

If you want carryover then you should be using knee wraps, not sleeves.

Purchasing a sleeve that is tight enough to give any carryover will defeat the purpose since you will have to take them off between sets and it could take the same amount of time to reset them as it would wraps - but with less carryover.

If you want something practical for everyday gym work (minimal carryover but good support) then I would go with a heavy knee sleeve like an InzerXT or APT Convict - just be very sure to size them properly.

CosmicForce
10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Are ATP Convicts appropriate for Oly Back Squats? Blue Rehbands are expensive. I need a knee sleeve for support.

gatorman2k6
10-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Are ATP Convicts appropriate for Oly Back Squats? Blue Rehbands are expensive. I need a knee sleeve for support.

I've got the convict sleeves and they work fine for oly back squats. They are the only sleeve I've tried and I really like them, but I don't know how much carryover they have, if any.

CosmicForce
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I've got the convict sleeves and they work fine for oly back squats. They are the only sleeve I've tried and I really like them, but I don't know how much carryover they have, if any.Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I am interested in the double ply convicts for support.

Does anyone know if the sizes listed are in kgs for the bodyweight of the lifter? My guess is yes. I have emailed the company twice, but I have not received a response.

vdizenzo
10-27-2010, 05:34 AM
I have the Inzer and I am not a big fan of them. They bunch up in a weird way. Plus to bend down to tighten and loosen them you could just use regular wraps. I have never tried the APT sleeves, but I hear lots of people are having trouble getting in touch with APT. That does not instill confidence. I do own the EFS heavy sleeve and I like them very much. If you get them really tight you'll get some decent carry over, however, you'll have to push them up and down between attempts. With a bit of a looser pair you can leave them up. I prefer a tighter pair that I pull up and down between attempts.

44pirate
10-27-2010, 08:16 AM
APT haven't had double convickt XL, XXL in over a year for stock. So don't even bother. Go with EFS.

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I am interested in the double ply convicts for support.

Does anyone know if the sizes listed are in kgs for the bodyweight of the lifter? My guess is yes. I have emailed the company twice, but I have not received a response.

I have the APT double ply convicts and I really like them, they give a lot of support and make your knees feel stable regardless of how heavy you are lifting. Right now the sleeves are out of stock but for future reference the sizing chart is in pounds, not kilograms.

Since you are doing OLY squats and I assume looking for something that you can wear throughout your workout I would pick up some Tommy Kono sleeves. They are about the same price as the APT Convict and will provide plenty of warmth along with some support.

APT sells the TK's for $39.95/pair and if you use the code "PLWATCH" they will be $33.95/pair plus you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. APT has fast shipping and they send everything priority mail so you should receive your package within a week with only about a $5 shipping charge.

CosmicForce
10-27-2010, 06:04 PM
I have the APT double ply convicts and I really like them, they give a lot of support and make your knees feel stable regardless of how heavy you are lifting. Right now the sleeves are out of stock but for future reference the sizing chart is in pounds, not kilograms.

Since you are doing OLY squats and I assume looking for something that you can wear throughout your workout I would pick up some Tommy Kono sleeves. They are about the same price as the APT Convict and will provide plenty of warmth along with some support.

APT sells the TK's for $39.95/pair and if you use the code "PLWATCH" they will be $33.95/pair plus you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. APT has fast shipping and they send everything priority mail so you should receive your package within a week with only about a $5 shipping charge.Thanks Tom. Not to nitpick, however I got confused because the size chart drop down menu for Double Ply Convict Heavy Kneee Sleeves says:

Small up to 70
Medium 71-90
Large 91-110
OUT OF STOCK XL 111-130
OUT OF STOCK 2XL 131-150
OUT OF STOCK 3XL 151-190
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129177

I weight 180lbs

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks Tom. Not to nitpick, however I got confused because the size chart drop down menu for Double Ply Convict Heavy Kneee Sleeves says:

Small up to 70
Medium 71-90
Large 91-110
OUT OF STOCK XL 111-130
OUT OF STOCK 2XL 131-150
OUT OF STOCK 3XL 151-190
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129177

I weight 180lbs

That sounds about right in terms of sizing; I have a pair of the XXL and they are the same as a size Medium in most other sleeves. I can see how you might think Kilograms though since it would make sense that XXL or XXXL would be for someone who is 300+ lbs (not 150 lbs).

chris mason
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I always like to support APT and have found their products to be excellent.

KoSh
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm looking for knee sleeves myself, but APT is pretty much out of stock on everything. Again. I love their products but it seems like every time I want something they're out of stock.

StLRPh
10-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I ended up getting some Inzer XTs from House of Pain and really like them. Having tried all three, I'd they are all good but my preference is APT, then Inzer XT and then EFS.

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm looking for knee sleeves myself, but APT is pretty much out of stock on everything. Again. I love their products but it seems like every time I want something they're out of stock.

I emailed Alan the other day and he said that they expect the sleeves to be back in stock in 30-45 days. Hopefully they purchased a large inventory of them this time.

CosmicForce
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I always like to support APT and have found their products to be excellent.I bought my grey rehbands from ATP two years ago in Dec/Jan. They are excellent and have served me well, however I think I need something tighter. Size small grey rehbands are 33-35 cm and size Small Blue rehbands that Jackals gym sells are 30-33 cm.

The reason I posted on this thread is because my knees have been bothering me lately.

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
I bought my grey rehbands from ATP two years ago in Dec/Jan. They are excellent and have served me well, however I think I need something tighter. Size small grey rehbands are 33-35 cm and size Small Blue rehbands that Jackals gym sells are 30-33 cm.

The reason I posted on this thread is because my knees have been bothering me lately.

Your best bet would be to contact Jackals Gym to ask Karl how the sizing compares between the two styles of Rehband sleeves, I would not simply rely on the sizing chart - especially since they are $33.95/sleeve.

CosmicForce
10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Your best bet would be to contact Jackals Gym to ask Karl how the sizing compares between the two styles of Rehband sleeves, I would not simply rely on the sizing chart - especially since they are $33.95/sleeve.I will. The blue sleeves are 2mm thicker than the grey ones according to Jackals Gym website, but for the same price. 7mm v. 5mm JG sells the grey ones in XS

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I will. The blue sleeves are 2mm thicker than the grey ones according to Jackals Gym website, but for the same price. 7mm v. 5mm JG sells the grey ones in XS

The blue sleeves are 7mm thick and a much better overall sleeve than the grey (larger coverage area, more durable, etc.).

If you are looking at something similar to the grey rehbands I would go with either TK sleeves ($35/pair) or Vulkan sleeves (5mm thick, similar coverage area to blue rehbands but not as durable) - $20/each. I personally own two pairs of the TK's and would recommend them; they are available in a small size.

CosmicForce
10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
EFS has had all kinds of problems with their sizing, I guess that they sized them way too small and so an XL fits someone who would usually wear a Medium in other sleeves. I have heard mostly good things about the Inzer sleeves except that they are pricey and can seperate (it is basically three wraps stiched together).

Currently I alternate between a pair of Double Ply APT Convict sleeves and Tommy Kono neoprene sleeves. For a heavy knee sleeve you cannot beat the APT convicts - they are comfortable/supportive and probably do give a little bit of carryover as well.I called EFS today to inquire about EFS Super Heavy Knee Sleeve. I told customer service my bodyweight and the circumference of my knee. The CSR suggested that I get size large instead of medium because medium is tight and I may have trouble getting them over my knee or have circulation issues.

* 185lb and below - Medium
* 186 - 210lb - Large

The blue sleeves are 7mm thick and a much better overall sleeve than the grey (larger coverage area, more durable, etc.).

If you are looking at something similar to the grey rehbands I would go with either TK sleeves ($35/pair) or Vulkan sleeves (5mm thick, similar coverage area to blue rehbands but not as durable) - $20/each. I personally own two pairs of the TK's and would recommend them; they are available in a small size.I would prefer the blue rehbands. I see a lot of strongman competitors and olympic lifters wearing the blue rehbands so they must provide good support. I want to make an informed decision based on knee support and affordability. I may have to break my student budget and spend the extra money.

Tom Mutaffis
10-29-2010, 06:35 AM
I called EFS today to inquire about EFS Super Heavy Knee Sleeve. I told customer service my bodyweight and the circumference of my knee. The CSR suggested that I get size large instead of medium because medium is tight and I may have trouble getting them over my knee or have circulation issues.

* 185lb and below - Medium
* 186 - 210lb - Large

I know that they did make efforts to correct the sizing issues.

You may want to ask them for measurements instead of bodyweight, one of my coworkers here was looking for a knee sleeve and it turned out that their knee was only 1/2" smaller than mine but we are both the same height and I weigh 85 lbs more than they do (140 vs. 225 lbs).

I would prefer the blue rehbands. I see a lot of strongman competitors and olympic lifters wearing the blue rehbands so they must provide good support. I want to make an informed decision based on knee support and affordability. I may have to break my student budget and spend the extra money.

I would not necessarily say "support" if you are talking about something that will provide a lot of compression or a cast-like feeling, but they are very good sleeves.

What exactly are you using the sleeves for? In some cases you may be fine with $10 neoprene sleeves from a sporting goods store and anything more would be unnecessary.

CosmicForce
10-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I know that they did make efforts to correct the sizing issues.

You may want to ask them for measurements instead of bodyweight, one of my coworkers here was looking for a knee sleeve and it turned out that their knee was only 1/2" smaller than mine but we are both the same height and I weigh 85 lbs more than they do (140 vs. 225 lbs).

I would not necessarily say "support" if you are talking about something that will provide a lot of compression or a cast-like feeling, but they are very good sleeves.

What exactly are you using the sleeves for? In some cases you may be fine with $10 neoprene sleeves from a sporting goods store and anything more would be unnecessary.Two years ago, I started feeling discomfort in my knees while squatting so I started wearing a pair of McDavid neoprene sleeves from Modells, however I still felt discomfort in my knees. Then I bought the grey rehbands. When I started wearing the grey rehbands while squatting, the discomfort went away. I never felt discomfort in my knees again.

It was not until recently that I started feeling discomfort again. I cannot figure out what is causing the discomfort.

Tom Mutaffis
10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Two years ago, I started feeling discomfort in my knees while squatting so I started wearing a pair of McDavid neoprene sleeves from Modells, however I still felt discomfort in my knees. Then I bought the grey rehbands. When I started wearing the grey rehbands while squatting, the discomfort went away. I never felt discomfort in my knees again.

It was not until recently that I started feeling discomfort again. I cannot figure out what is causing the discomfort.

You may want to look at your training program and other factors before just looking for a better sleeve, the sleeve is more of a temporary solution rather than a true "fix".

Do you think that the discomfort is tendonitis or something more?

CosmicForce
10-29-2010, 06:46 PM
You may want to look at your training program and other factors before just looking for a better sleeve, the sleeve is more of a temporary solution rather than a true "fix".

Do you think that the discomfort is tendonitis or something more?I honestly do not know what tendonitis is or what it would feel like if I had it.

My uneducated guess for the discomfort could be a combination of things. First, I need better footwear. The two years I trained without discomfort, I wore cross trainers. The cross trainers have worn down from wearing them and my stance feels unbalanced. Correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding weightlifting shoes are more appropriate for Olympic squats than cross trainers.

Second, I have always trained at home. I moved into a new first floor apartment recently and the entire floor of the apartment tilts downwards towards the street. I tried squatting in both directions, however my stance felt unbalanced either way so I started squatting with a 1/2 to 5/8 inch board underneath the heels of my feet to even things out. The board worked as far as solving the balance issue, however I started feeling discomfort in my knees after I started squatting with the heels of my feet underneath a board.

Neal Bates
11-07-2010, 12:02 PM

APT sells the TK's for $39.95/pair and if you use the code "PLWATCH" they will be $33.95/pair plus you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. APT has fast shipping and they send everything priority mail so you should receive your package within a week with only about a $5 shipping charge.

Tom, do you know if APT is still offering the code "PLWATCH" or has that expired already? Thanks!

Joe Usher
11-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Tom, do you know if APT is still offering the code "PLWATCH" or has that expired already? Thanks!

I do not think it ever expires. I ordered a couple of times from them and used the code to get the free wrist wraps.

Neal Bates
11-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I do not think it ever expires. I ordered a couple of times from them and used the code to get the free wrist wraps.

Thanks Joe !

dedsqtbnch
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
got the elite fts super heavey elbow and knee sleeves just in 2 weeks ago can only get them on with bags under lol and got the sizes i needed to but i guess when they ask your weight they might mean if you all muscle cause im 225 and about 20%bodyfat and those muther fers are tight no leaving them on i panic the first time i put them on and could not get them off lol toes were like:omg::drooling:

dedsqtbnch
11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks Joe !

thanx from me too

Neal Bates
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I placed my order with APT Tuesday night and UPS had them to me Friday afternoon. The "PLWATCH" code is good for 15% off total and a free pair of wrist wraps. I'm super happy with APT and will be doing business with them again!

As for the Tommy Kono knee bands, I ordered mediums and they are snug, but not super tight.They feel really good and I"m glad I didn't order the Large as I started to. I don't foresee any problems with the bands sliding down.

If I try to simply slide them on as they come with the fabric on the outside, they will go over my calf and stop. I turn them inside out as others have said and roll them back over the knee and they go on like a snap!

Tom Mutaffis
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I placed my order with APT Tuesday night and UPS had them to me Friday afternoon. The "PLWATCH" code is good for 15% off total and a free pair of wrist wraps. I'm super happy with APT and will be doing business with them again!

As for the Tommy Kono knee bands, I ordered mediums and they are snug, but not super tight.They feel really good and I"m glad I didn't order the Large as I started to. I don't foresee any problems with the bands sliding down.

If I try to simply slide them on as they come with the fabric on the outside, they will go over my calf and stop. I turn them inside out as others have said and roll them back over the knee and they go on like a snap!

I am glad to hear that everything worked out with your order from APT and that you are happy with the sleeves.

dedsqtbnch
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
If I try to simply slide them on as they come with the fabric on the outside, they will go over my calf and stop. I turn them inside out as others have said and roll them back over the knee and they go on like a snap![/QUOTE]

im going to try that next time i use mine

CosmicForce
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I bought blue rehbands and a pair of weightlifting shoes. I did olympic squats last Saturday and my knees felt fine.

Cmanuel
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I bought blue rehbands and a pair of weightlifting shoes. I did olympic squats last Saturday and my knees felt fine.

My rehbands came in today. Haven't squatted in them yet, but they are friggin' nice. I have the APT sleeves too, doubt I will ever use them again

johnnyo_99
12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
My rehbands came in today. Haven't squatted in them yet, but they are friggin' nice. I have the APT sleeves too, doubt I will ever use them again

I'm getting the TK sleeves, for the price i thought I would try them out.

KoSh
12-02-2010, 06:32 AM
I go the Vulkan knee sleeves. They are awesome.