PDA

View Full Version : Smoothie King

RebelDogg
06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Not sure how many of you will be familiar with Smoothie King. I know they are New Orleans based and are all over down here. I think they're in a lot of other states as well, but just not sure how common they may be in other areas of the U. S.

But to those that know them: I have been CRAVING a smoothie so bad for a while. But I stay away because I figure they're probably not nearly as healthy as they seem. So I decided to go online and check some nutrition info. I figure I can ditch a meal one day and enjoy some nice cold smoothie goodness on a hot day. Some of them are pretty high in calories and such, but others don't seem too too bad.

In particular the lo-carb flavors have high protein content (39g for 20oz smoothie) and I think the total calories were around 288 or something... I don't remember the rest (you can get it from their web site) Muscle Punch surprised me with a paltry 5g of protein...

But then I noticed a smoothie flavor I'd never seen before. The Gladiator. 180 calories, 45g of protein for 20 oz. I don't know if it's an actual smoothie, I think it may just be an additive. I may find out today if I go over to the nearest location. Also don't know what kind or the quality of the protein. Apparently you can also buy it in powdered form. Not sure how it compares to ON Gold Standard. I think it's a whey/egg blend. But honestly I don't know much.

Just wondering what people thing about Smoothie King in general and whether some of the higher protein content smoothies may be a good thing post-wo. I'm a fat guy trying to get my weight down while working on lifting. I do want to bulk, but I need to work on severely de-bulking first I think.

So whaddaya think? Keep my tubby ass away from the smoothies and eat an apple?

dirtyd
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
it is an actual smoothie - good stuff

all the smoothie kings by me use IsoPure protein. I like the chocolate gladiator with banana and strawberry as the fruit.

or vanilla gladiator with strawberry, orange and kiwi (extra $$ for a third fruit).

keep in mind the calories on the sheet for the gladiator are before you add the fruit.

a 32oz gladiator will be a nice MRP on a cut or just a nice treat

RebelDogg
06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
... keep in mind the calories on the sheet for the gladiator are before you add the fruit.

a 32oz gladiator will be a nice MRP on a cut or just a nice treat

I figured that about the fruit. Do you know by chance (and I guess I'll figure this out tomorrow when I go, didn't go today) if you can get the nutrition information in the store? I'm counting calories and would feel better if I knew. But I guess as long as I get a measurement of the fruit I can figure it out at home.

Also, stupid question here, but a lot of these abbreviations throw me off. What's MRP stand for?

Flowtron
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I figured that about the fruit. Do you know by chance (and I guess I'll figure this out tomorrow when I go, didn't go today) if you can get the nutrition information in the store? I'm counting calories and would feel better if I knew. But I guess as long as I get a measurement of the fruit I can figure it out at home.

Also, stupid question here, but a lot of these abbreviations throw me off. What's MRP stand for?

I think it stands for meal replacement.

As far as caloric smoothies go, I'm a big fan of peanut butter/banana.

That said, I just stick to fruit/veggie smoothies. I have a Vitamix blender, so I get the healthiest smoothies you can buy, and it's so much cheaper than Jamba Juice, which uses frozen yogurt as the base of all their smoothies. You get kale, spinach, apple, mixed berries, and whatever else you're into. No added sweetener. All natural. Nobody sells you smoothies that pure and healthy.

RebelDogg
06-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd love to blend my own smoothies and stuff... I've just been procrastinating buying a blender. Always seems to be something else I need to spend my money on. My mom has one that she only uses at Christmas and I'm trying to bum it from her for a while. I just haven't been over to her house in a while. But I've never had a veggie smoothie, sounds like a good idea.

Flowtron
06-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I'd love to blend my own smoothies and stuff... I've just been procrastinating buying a blender. Always seems to be something else I need to spend my money on. My mom has one that she only uses at Christmas and I'm trying to bum it from her for a while. I just haven't been over to her house in a while. But I've never had a veggie smoothie, sounds like a good idea.

If you're gonna get a blender, get it right the first time. Get a Vitamix.

I had the conventional Oster blenders in the past, and I rarely used them, if ever.

I use the Vitamix at least once a day, and I don't feel guilty for passing on the salad anymore.

Tom Mutaffis
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
RebelDogg -

45 grams of protein is 180 calories so the shake that you are looking at is probably 400-500 calories (protein is 4 calories/gram).

If you are going to drink smoothies on a regular basis then I would definitely make them at home unless you have a lot of extra money; making them at home also allows you to adjust the macronutrients based on your needs. My girlfriend makes them everyday and we have an Oster blender from Target that works well.

RebelDogg
06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow... for that price tag I don't think I'll be getting a Vitamix any time soon...

I would like to make smoothies and stuff at home, Tom. But I don't think I would be drinking them on a regular basis. As for the Smoothie King trip, that was just a rare treat I allowed myself. Made sure to leave room in the budget for the calories.

But maybe some time in August I'll look at getting a blender. I'm getting a power cage next month (hopefully) and that'll be all my extra money for the month right there. Until then I'll make due with my moms... I'm pretty sure the thing is almost as old as I am, but it works.

Holto
06-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd love to blend my own smoothies and stuff... I've just been procrastinating buying a blender.

Get a stick blender. $20 and you'd be surprised what it can do to frozen fruit. I make one every AM as my breakfast with a scoop of berry blast whey and I'm off to work. I sip it at my desk until it's almost lunch time.

Partyfoul
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Anyone have any good smoothie recipes? I go to smoothie king all the time because the smoothies I make taste like ****.