PDA

View Full Version : Did I mess up buying this creatine?

RebelDogg
06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I know there are enough creatine threads on here to knit Andre the Giant's drawers, but I just have a question here. Even though by time anyone answers it'll really be too late for me anyway. But here goes:

I've decided to go ahead and start taking creatine. So I go to GNC to get some, planning on getting ON, since I've been happy with their whey. Unfortunately, GNC seems to not sell ON creatine. They have two choices, some pharmaceutical grade stuff for $60 per 2.2lbs and the GNC brand for $30. I settled for the GNC brand and figured I'll just be ordering the creatine online when I order my whey. I'm realizing now how stupid it is to purchase this stuff locally... I'm gonna go broke. But I wanted to start loading it now and make the switch to ON after I finish this tub.

I'm just automatically mistrusting of any store brand (except Great Value (Wal Mart) Cottage Cheese, which is really good...) I'm wondering if the GNC brand micronized creatine is okay or am I pissing my money away on it? I've heard there are basically two places it comes from: China and Germany. If it's China it's crap (and probably poisonous... haven't heard that, just saying...) I don't know how to find out if GNC's is Chinese or German.

Also, and I'm sure this isn't that huge a deal, but I spaced and forgot to buy grape juice on the way home. I'm just gonna toss my first dose in my whey shake post-wo and probably again in the morning until I can get to the grocery. Is it really that big of a deal to mix it in juice or powerade, etc...?

Also, if someone doesn't mind looking in the article discussion forum, I had another creatine question. Actually the second question here about the juice was part of it. If someone has a sec to answer that I would be grateful. I'm really iffy about supplements, even if people do say they're safe, and would like some reassurance that I'm doing things correctly.

EDIT: Ugh... just realized it's not micronized... didn't look at it in the store, just took the guys word for it. Oh, well. I don't guess it's that huge a deal.

ThomasG
06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Isn't it just the 100% micronized monohydrate? If so you're fine. Never go for the fancy stuff just straight up 100% monohydrate and save you money. Also the loading phase is useless IMO. 5g a day everyday till you cycle off.

RebelDogg
06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
It doesn't say "micronized" anywhere on the container. I don't know if you can tell just by looking at it... mixed pretty well in with my milk and whey, had to put a little water in the cup to get a tiny bit of it out. Heard the monohydrate didn't mix so well, so I don't know. But I figure if it was micronized, it would say on the container. But I'm not gonna fret about that. I was just unsure how much the quality of the creatine could vary from brand to brand.

As far as the loading and dosage... I got such a headache trying to figure that out. Read so much stuff, and everyone saying something different. Not that I'm arguing your point at all, I'm not educated enough to do that. Just saying that I've heard so many different things... the WBB article says 2g a day... the one on creatinemonohydrate.net says I think 3.6... the container of the stuff I have also says 5. I think I'm just gonna toss in the 5 (since the container says 1tsp is 5g) and be done with it. If it's too much I'll just piss a bit out. :)

The loading phase may be useless, as I've heard people argue. But if it doesn't hurt I think I'm just gonna do it. I'm impatient and if it will REALLY get me lifting 10% more faster (not sure how true that is) then I'm all for it. I shame myself every workout... I wanna be stronger. If this can help me, I'm willing to do it.

dynamo
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
well you certainly have the right attitude. you'll figure it out soon enough. when i used creatine i did the loading phase then the next time i didnt do the loading and i couldnt tell much difference and now i havent used it in years. lifting is hugely mental and if you think it will help it probably will.

malkore
06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
No, creatine won't make you lift 10% more. So forget that idea completely.

No need to load either. 5g a day, every day, for 3 weeks...you'll reach saturation.

ALL creatine will do is allow you to generate more reps in your workout. Creatine (ATP) and calcium are what fire explosive muscle contractions and when you run low you start fatiguing. Creatine helps delay that fatigue.

So indirectly, creatine lets you do a little more workload, which then might lead to better gains, IF everything else is "right" in your diet, training, and rest/recovery.

Holto
06-14-2010, 01:38 PM
It doesn't say "micronized" anywhere on the container. I don't know if you can tell just by looking at it... mixed pretty well in with my milk and whey, had to put a little water in the cup to get a tiny bit of it out. Heard the monohydrate didn't mix so well, so I don't know. But I figure if it was micronized, it would say on the container. But I'm not gonna fret about that. I was just unsure how much the quality of the creatine could vary from brand to brand.

As far as the loading and dosage... I got such a headache trying to figure that out. Read so much stuff, and everyone saying something different. Not that I'm arguing your point at all, I'm not educated enough to do that. Just saying that I've heard so many different things... the WBB article says 2g a day... the one on creatinemonohydrate.net says I think 3.6... the container of the stuff I have also says 5. I think I'm just gonna toss in the 5 (since the container says 1tsp is 5g) and be done with it. If it's too much I'll just piss a bit out. :)

The loading phase may be useless, as I've heard people argue. But if it doesn't hurt I think I'm just gonna do it. I'm impatient and if it will REALLY get me lifting 10% more faster (not sure how true that is) then I'm all for it. I shame myself every workout... I wanna be stronger. If this can help me, I'm willing to do it.

Best advice re: creatine I've ever been given. Put the absolute minimum amount of water needed in a glass and just down it. No need to actually drink that gritty nastiness.

GNC is Satans Stronghold but they do actually test their products. I don't think any other supp chain can claim that. So what you bought is probably quite pure.

As for the loading your rationale is fine. It can only hurt your wallet and it's pretty minor. The science has shown that it simply takes time to reach saturation. So loading has no effect. It's similar to the glycogen super-compensation we experience. If we're out of the gym for a few months it takes 3-4 workouts to get it back. It will take you 3-4 workouts before you really start saturating your muscles with creatine.

RebelDogg
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
...when i used creatine i did the loading phase then the next time i didnt do the loading and i couldnt tell much difference...

I was thinking something like that. Since it's my first time using it, I'm going through with the loading, 10g 3x a day then dropping to about 5g starting Friday. After I cycle off of it, I'll probably skip the loading when I get back on.

No, creatine won't make you lift 10% more. So forget that idea completely.

ALL creatine will do is allow you to generate more reps in your workout. Creatine (ATP) and calcium are what fire explosive muscle contractions and when you run low you start fatiguing. Creatine helps delay that fatigue.

So indirectly, creatine lets you do a little more workload, which then might lead to better gains, IF everything else is "right" in your diet, training, and rest/recovery.

Thanks, malkore. I wasn't really under the impression that this was a miracle sup that would turn me into the hulk, I don't even remember where I read the 10% thing. But I didn't know about the fatigue thing. Hopefully I'm doing everything else right (well, my rest/recovery I know sucks... but that's difficult to fix. Sleep issues...)

Best advice re: creatine I've ever been given. Put the absolute minimum amount of water needed in a glass and just down it. No need to actually drink that gritty nastiness...

I've read to take it with grape juice for the insulin spike. Wasn't sure how much I needed, so I just take 8 to 10 oz. Would rather use less if I can because of the extra calories. I think 160/8oz. Actually, today I just took two teaspoons to the mouth and swished the grape juice around in there. Saved dirtying a cup and kept me from having to rinse the glass to get all of the creatine that didn't get drank the first time. Seems like a good way to use less grape juice every time, too, but I was unsure of how much I needed to get the most out of the creatine.

RebelDogg
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
y'know what? Screw loading. I was going to keep up with it even though everyone told me not to. Just to say I did it at least once and be able to judge the difference for my self.

But ya know what? I'm sick of crapping water. It started when i started the creatine, I figured a few days later I'd be okay. Not the case. That's it... 5g a day from now on. Remind me never to ignore you guys again. I can't handle this until Friday... and I'm really hoping it is the creatine that's doing this. I've read it was a side effect of the stuff.

Holto
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I was thinking something like that. Since it's my first time using it, I'm going through with the loading, 10g 3x a day then dropping to about 5g starting Friday. After I cycle off of it, I'll probably skip the loading when I get back on.

Thanks, malkore. I wasn't really under the impression that this was a miracle sup that would turn me into the hulk, I don't even remember where I read the 10% thing. But I didn't know about the fatigue thing. Hopefully I'm doing everything else right (well, my rest/recovery I know sucks... but that's difficult to fix. Sleep issues...)

I've read to take it with grape juice for the insulin spike. Wasn't sure how much I needed, so I just take 8 to 10 oz. Would rather use less if I can because of the extra calories. I think 160/8oz. Actually, today I just took two teaspoons to the mouth and swished the grape juice around in there. Saved dirtying a cup and kept me from having to rinse the glass to get all of the creatine that didn't get drank the first time. Seems like a good way to use less grape juice every time, too, but I was unsure of how much I needed to get the most out of the creatine.

Taking it with grape juice doesn't mean it has to be in the same glass and lots of guys on here just spoon it into their mouthe's as you suggested.

I'm confident in saying grapejuice isn't going to give you an insulin spike. An insulin response, yet, but not a spike.

If you're cutting you can skip all the carb+creatine protocols. It will get absorbed and utilized.

RebelDogg
06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
yeah... I need to rethink the grape juice thing. I screwed up on my nutrition today. Got lazy with my journal and thought I was further behind... the damn grape juice was adding 200 calories a serving (10 oz) so that was 600 extra calories today (took the third loading dose, but I'm going down to one spoon a day from tomorrow on) So I feel bad about that... the only good thing is that I'm eating WAY below where all the math says I'm supposed to. I'm taking in between 2700 and 3300, trying to hit 3000 every day. I'm at 268 and 6'4. I forget what they say I should be taking in, but I think I hit closer to that today at almost 3700 calories... damn grape juice... :tuttut:

Holto
06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
yeah... I need to rethink the grape juice thing. I screwed up on my nutrition today. Got lazy with my journal and thought I was further behind... the damn grape juice was adding 200 calories a serving (10 oz) so that was 600 extra calories today (took the third loading dose, but I'm going down to one spoon a day from tomorrow on) So I feel bad about that... the only good thing is that I'm eating WAY below where all the math says I'm supposed to. I'm taking in between 2700 and 3300, trying to hit 3000 every day. I'm at 268 and 6'4. I forget what they say I should be taking in, but I think I hit closer to that today at almost 3700 calories... damn grape juice... :tuttut:

The only way to ever know for sure what your intake should be is to track it and observe weight changes. If you hit 3300/day and are slowly dropping weight then you're bang on.

gregory.rox
06-15-2010, 10:24 AM
You don't have to use just grape juice, you can probably use all different kinds of juices. It might mix well in low calorie gatorade... But I've always mixed it in a glass of kool-aid and then a bit of water to get the last bit (but I always drink out of the cup for the rest of the day to make sure I didn't leave any behind :P)