PDA

View Full Version : Squat question on wide stants toe position

george okunev
06-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Hello.

I am just under 6'3 and squat wide stants. I weight in at around 255 moving on to 275 next year. So I am quite lean. I started out squating with my toes pointing straight. I was later told to have my toes pointing outwards (45 degrees out) as it gets the glutes involved more. The more muscle groups you invole the more weight you can move in the long run. I have recently purchased an Ace pro squatter. I tried it out a couple of days ago with 573lbs on the bar. I couldn't even come close to depth with the straps up but very loose.

I was than told that I need to have my toes pointing forward because toes out puts more straing on the groin and limits the amount of work my hamies can do. The person that told me that is almost a foot shorter than me but he is a good squatter. All the videos I see of big squaters all have there toes out.

What is a better way to squat in the long run?

thank you

Mark!
06-14-2010, 04:27 AM
All I've been told is to not let the toes be pointed out at a crazy angle. Mine are pointed less than 45 for sure.

Sean S
06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I've always found it easier to push my knees out and stay the the right position with my toes pointed out some. As long as it's not excessive, it's fine. I've seen plenty of big squats at different meets I've been to over the past few years and I don't recall anyone with their toes pointed straight forward.

IronDiggy
06-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I had a similar issue with my suit. I point my toes way out but my problem wasn't with my toes it was the stance, when i brought my feet in a bit I was able to hit depth pretty easy.

ScottYard
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM
When I squatted wide I would point my toes out slightly. This allowed me to get my knees out. DOnt go too crazy though as a slight twist makes a huge difference.

george okunev
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
thanks guys. My toes are about 45 degrees out. sounds like i need to get them a little straighter.

Thanks for the advice on the suit. I will try to bring my stance in a little and see if I can get lower. I just find it more natural to squat wide. Maybe as my weight goes up, i'll be able to bring my stance out also.

Thank you.

AJ Roberts
06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
My toes are pointed out, probably right around 45degrees. Louie is always yelling at me to point them forward but anytime i do this i get some serious knee pain.

NickAus
06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
45 degrees for me, feels better- any more than that and your balance may be off.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2010, 05:29 AM
My toes are at about 45 degrees, helps with forcing my knees out for me - and hip flexibility seems to be better. I can sqaut to a 12" box with my toes touching the mono feet.

mastermonster
06-15-2010, 10:29 PM
The best way to gauge how much to point them out is to get in your squat stance without a bar on you. Just squat straight down so your kness break forward first (not like you'd squat under weight). Watch the path your knees are traveling in verses the direction your toes are pointing. If your knees are traveling straight over your knees they are in the right position. Anything to the inside or outside puts either the inner or outer ligaments of the knee at risk. For a typical wide stance squatter they will probably be about 45 degrees. Hope this helps.

IronDiggy
06-15-2010, 10:40 PM
now all you guys say 45 degrees, just out of curiosity do you mean 45* compared to the other foot. or each foot is 45* out from the front of you? cause my heels look like they would make a perfect 90* when I squat.