PDA

View Full Version : Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

Pages : [1] 2

Joe Black
06-15-2010, 06:07 AM
I have been maintaining a journal for the last year or so and during that time I managed to get my fat ass down from 205lbs (unknown bodyfat - just fat lol) to 171.5lbs (12.5% bodyfat).

My original goal was to push down to 10%, but after 12+ months of getting my weight down I've decided that it's all getting a bit draining and I need to focus on gaining some lean muscle as once I cut down I realised there wasn't much there (it's amazing when you are fat, how you kid yourself you have a ton of muscle under there).

I've spent the last 15 weeks or so with Shelby Starnes as my diet coach and most of my progress has actually been made during this window and am sticking with him for my new phase - a lean bulk.

I'm quietly confident that I should be able to maintain my current level of leanness because with the very low carb plan I would tend to stick with it for anywhere between 7-10 days but then fall off for the wagon2-3 days and eat TONS. This type of inconsistency has meant it took me longer to get lean.

With the new plan, I still have low carb days and some cardio to do, but I get to enjoy some high and med carb days and I feel confident about being more consistent with this place which you never know.. might even mean my overal calorie intake over a given month isn't miles away from what it is. But we'll see.

So my main goal is to get back to focusing on strength (I'm weak as hell right now) and to put on some quality lean muscle without putting on much bodyfat - hence a lean bulk.

I have a vacation on July 24th, so I am gonna do a mini 2 week cut either side of it, but apart from that it's lean bulk/gain strength through to summer 2011.

The overall plan is:

full body weights, 3 times a week
2 hours cardio a week
2 high carb days, 1 medium carb day and 4 low carb days

So, a bit like this:

Mon - weights: full body (high carb)
Tues – 10min intervals + 45min medium cardio(low carb)
Weds - weights: full body (high carb)
Thurs - off (low carb)
Fri - weights: full body (med carb)
Sat – 10min intervals + 45min medium cardio(low carb)
Sun - off (low carb)

Wish me luck :)

tomv
06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Good to see you following a path that will hopefully make you far happier, Dan. You've got the drive and determination, the consistency will bring results.

Joe Black
06-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Monday 14th June

Monday was an awesome day, my first high carb day for a LONG time. Ok, well when I was slipping I was eating very high carb days, but I mean a proper high carb day on the plan :)

I hit it 100%, although I shifted my post workout carbs (normally Opticen) into my next meal (an hour after training) so I could have some carbs with my early evening meal (6pm)

Looked like this:

Meal 1

75g Quaker Oats
300ml half fat milk
1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

Meal 2
1 x Apple
1 x Novus Protein bar

Meal 3
Beef Steak 150g
Rice (125g) +1 Oat Cake
1 cup Veg

Meal 4
Beef Steak 150g
Rice (125g)
1 cup Veg

Meal 5 (pre workout)
2.5 x weetabix
100ml s/s milk

Meal 6 (post workout)
2 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)

Meal 7
150g chicken
250g sweet potatoes
2 cups veg

This was PURE HEAVEN!

Training went like this.

1. Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90KG
2. Flat Barbell Bench Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 7 @ 60KG (OH MY GOD, THIS SUCKS SO SO BAD)
3. Elevated Split Squat - 3 x 10 (lots of rest pausing going on)
4. Lat Pull Down Band Pull Aparts - 3 x 15
5 a .DB Bicep Curls - 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 15KG DBS
5 b. Bar Roll Outs - 3 x 6

We supersetting the last 2 exercises and my main focus was my form, I want to build a good foundation of strength with really solid form.

We onnly took 1:30 rest periods inbetween sets so it was reasonably tiring.

Oh and normally exercise 4 would be DB Rows, but I am struggling with some elbow tendonitis (I think from too much chinning) so I am laying off stuff that causes me pain - mainly db rows and chin ups. Sucks but it;s the right things to do.

Today (Tuesday) is a low carb day which I feel SO good about hitting 100% because of the nice high carb day yesterday!

borracho
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
GL on the new venture Daniel! I am looking forward to watchin!

Coke
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Wish you the best with these new plans and any future endeavors Mr Clough!!

Joe Black
06-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Cheers peeps, so far this week I have just felt SO much happier - I love it.

Tuesday 15th June

No training today which was a bit lame. I really should have gotten some cardio in as I am away Friday and all weekend on a bachelor party and it's gonna kinda **** up the week. So front loading my week with activity would have been the smart thing to do :(

As for diet, low carb 100%.

100g Low Fat Greek yogurt
0.75 x Granola Bar
1.5 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)
3g fish oils

0.75 x Granola Bar
1.5 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)
3g fish oils

Chicken Breast (150g)
1 cup Veg
1.5 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

Chicken Breast (150g)
1 cup Veg

2 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)

gammon
2 cup vegetables

The plan is to get some cardio in Weds, Thurs and super early Fri morning (we leave at 9am) so I can go into the long weekend with 2 hours behind me and then I'll just relax for 3 days and get back on it for Monday.

Looking forward to a high carb/lifting Weds :)

Mark!
06-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Awesome stuff buddy, welcome back! Good luck with this new journey, we'll all be here for all the great progress man.

Joe Black
06-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Cheers Mark, I seem to be a different person following this plan :)

Weds 16th June

High carb day today and diet was a bit off to be honest. Not in a cheating way, I just I didn't get the right amount of meals in and I didn't count my calories or macros as closely as I normally do. Overall though they were definately under what they should be, which is not neccessarily a bad thing considering I have 3 straight days off training and eating this weekend (bachelor party!)

Went like this:

Meal 1
75g Quaker Oats
300ml half fat milk

Meal 2
1 x Apple
Novus Protein bar

Meal 3 (Lunch out with friend)
1 x Chicken Breast
Tomato based sauce
Fries
Veg

Meal 4 - POST WORKOUT
1 serving Opticen
1 Banana

Meal 5
200g Lean Beef Mince
Half marrow
small amount of cheese

Training was also a mixed bag. It didn't feel as intense as it should have which I am putting down to the rest between sets being a little long and also I had to switch chin ups for some blast strap rows due to elbow tendonitis which are not really that intense. Plus, I am still getting used to some of the new movements and especially with stuff like deadlift, I wanna take it SLOW as to not screw up my back or anything. Once I get going and get chins ups back in I think it will feel better.

Looked like this:

Foam Rolling & Dynamic Warm up - 20 mins

1. Barbell Hip thrust - 1 x 10 @ 60KG, 2 x 10 @ 70KG, 1 x 8 @ 70KG (up 10Kg from last week)
2. Deadlifts - 70kg - 3 X 10 @ 70kg (up 10Kg from last week)
3. Blast Strap Rows - 3 x 10 @ BW
4. DB Bench - 3 x 10, 10, 8 @ 22.5KG DBS (better quality reps and more reps than last time)
5a. Strict Lateral Raises - 2 x 12 @ 7.5KG DBS
5b. Posture sit up - 2 x 8 @ BW

And thats it.

I am typing this after hammering out 60 mins of fasted cardio (mixture of intervals and medium pace cardio) and it's a low carb day. Feeling great to have that cardio under my belt by 9am.

Joe Black
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
So, wow the stag (bachelor) party was pretty crazy. The weekend was mostly spent drinking beer, eating bad food and watching football - good times :)

I've also made a decision today to return to cutting :omg::omg::omg:

I kinda feel a bit bad for keep changing my mind because I tend to switch my goals about too often, but I'm being forced into this one a little. My elbow tendonitis is still causing me a lot of pain both outside and inside the gym and I'm pretty much in a position where doing any pulling movements is giving me a real problem and just prolonging the tendonitis. And, without being able to do any pull up movements, it kinda seems a bit silly to have high carb days and be shooting for weight gain.

So, I'm just going to skip the pulling movements for a combo of pushing/pulling rehab movements and spend the next 4.5 weeks (what I have left till vacation) really pushing to cut as much weight as possible. I was gonna do the 2 weeks previous as a cut anyway, so it's just starting early and the last couple of weeks of eating a bit more and going on the stag do have gotten me feeling like I can easily handle a consistent 4.5 weeks of cutting.

So, it's back to 5 hours cardio a week and mostly low carb days I reckon.. I'll check in with Shelby but pretty sure he'll just put me back on the last plan.

Up at 6am tomorrow for intervals and steady state then ;)

Joe Black
06-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Tuesday 22nd June

Tuesday was ok. I didn't train which was a bit lame, but I was right back to low carb and I skippeda meal to take into account not getting into the gym. Not the right way to do things I know.

Day looked like this:

0.5 x Granola bar
1.75 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
2g fish oils

0.5 x Granola bar
1.75 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
2g fish oils

Chicken Breast (125g)
2 cups Veg
1 tbl p/b

Chicken Breast (125g)
2 cups Veg
1 tbl p/b

2 pork suasages
2 cup veg

I also went for an hours walk with the girlfriend and dog, so at least I got moving about a little.

I weighed myself this morning and I was 178 :god: BEar in mind that is from 2 weeks of eating more (still clean) and 3 days of total badness on that bachelors party, so my goal is to really go for it and get sub 170 in 4 weeks time. It'll mean 5 hours minumum of cardio and NO slipping on the diet and no more excuses about not getting into the gym.

Today (Weds) the goal is to do 60 min weights and 30 min cardio. I'll need to follow that with 4:30 in 4 days which will be tough but doable!

Joe Black
06-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Wednesday 23rd June

It's amazing how some consecutive low carb days affect you.

On the plus side, I look tighter and have dropped 4 lbs. On the neg side I am starting to feel tired and a bit drained. I just gotta fight it though, I wanna string together 5 or 6 in a row, they are much needed after the weekend.

Wednesday was a goooooooooooood day.

I hit my low carb numbers 100% which felt really good, considering I was eating 200g chicken and veg whilst my girlfriend tucked into a prawn curry, mushroom rice and nann bread. Her portion was like 4 times mine. ****, this sometimes gets to me, but this is my decision to be like this so I can't get pissed at people around me that don't share my goals.

Training was really good too.

I got in early and nailed some cardio on the rower.

4 mins @ 2:10/500M
6 intervals of 30 secs @ 1:40/500M and 90 secs @ 2:05/500M
4 mins @ 2:00/500M

Total - 20 min

This was tough, literally looking like someone has thrown a bucket of water over me lol.. Plus probably not the smartest thing to do before a weights workout, but I'm behind on cardio for this week so gotta man up and get it in.

Weights workout went like this:

1. Barbell Hip Thrust - 4 x 12 @ 75KG (I think it was 75, it might have been 70)
2. 3 x Medicine Ball Slam - 3 x 30 , 60M medium sprint (chin up substitute because of elbow tendonitis)
3. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 75KG
4. DB Bench - 2 x 12 @ 22.5KG Dbs, 1 x 9 @ 22.5KG DBS
5a. Strict Lateral Raises - 2 x 12 @ 7.5KG DBS
5b. Posture sit up - 2 x 8 @ BW

Joe Black
06-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Thurs 24th June

Awesome, awesome, awesome day.

Low carb day was hit nicely. I did have a slightly non standard evening meal which hat a bit higher fat in it than usual, but I skipped the meal before so calories would be a touch under and maybe protein a bit low but in the grand scheme of things, very good. Looked like this:

Meal 1
0.5 granola bar
1.5 scoops nitrean (in water)
2 fish oil

Meal 2
0.5 granola bar
1.5 scoops nitrean (in water)
2 fish oil

Meal 3
Chicken Breast (125g)
2 cups Veg
1 tbl p/b

Meal 4
Chicken Breast (125g)
2 cups Veg

Meal 5
2 chicken thighs (with skin on)
Salad with olive oil and sunflower seeds

And about 3 coke zeros to keep me sane lol.

Man, I smashed a hell of a cardio session too - 60 min.

Stationary Cycle - 15 mins:
2 mins @ 95 reps/min
6 x 30 sec @ 120rep/min, 90 sec @ 95 rep/min
1 min @ 95 reps/min

Cross Trainer - 20 mins

Skipping - 10 mins

Cross Trainer - 15 mins

This morning I weighed 174. I'm strangely motivated to hit 167lbs right now, which would be just under the 12 stone mark which would be a bit barrier for me. I'm not even sure if that's possible in 4 weeks, but I'm gonna give it my best go!

Off Road
06-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Found the new journal...you can't hide for long :)

Good luck with your cut again. Maybe the brief bulk will help with the motivation, kind of like a vacation.

borracho
06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Cheers peeps, so far this week I have just felt SO much happier - I love it.

I've also made a decision today to return to cutting :omg::omg::omg:

So, I am back to bulking and sooooooooooo much happier!

:D

Just playing Daniel. GL on the new( old) journey. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this with renewed motivation.

Joe Black
06-26-2010, 02:46 AM
OffRoad - Glad you found me :)

Borracho - lol, I hear you on th switching goals stuff. To be honest I've been pretty good at staying to true to the one goal (fat loss) for ages now and since my decision to switch to more of a lean gain I was feeling great and would be still on it had it not be for the pain in my elbows pretty much stopping me doing ANY pulling movements. So I figure, just get focused on a goal where my limitations are irrelevant.

Friday 25th June

A good day. My diet was pretty random as I was eating out (Japanese) so I planned it all in fitday to ensure I would keep within 1600 calories and even though it came out lower protein and higher fat than it should, carbs were still very low and I was within 1,600 AND I felt like I ate something decent so pretty good going really.

Training was also pretty good. Strength is starting to b affected again from the low carb days on the run and lots of cardio, but it is what it is. Those 2 weeks of high and med carb days gave me a taster of what is to come later on, so I can be patient.

1. Front Squat - 1 x 8 @ 70KG, 3 x 12 @ 60KG
2. Rowing Intervals - 2:00 @ 2:10/500M and 3 intervals of 90/30
3. Single Leg Squat to bench - 3 x 12 @ BW
4. Floor Press - 50KG - 3 x 10
5 a. Hanging Leg raises - 2 x 8
5 b. Crunches - 2 x 8

Even though not the toughest looking workout, rest period were literally 30 secs to 1 min so it was reasonably intense.

Still weighing 174, hopefully I can get that down to 172 by Monday with a good weekend. (It's 9:46am and I've already done a good 45min cardio and about to go for a walk with the dog and not ate anything so it's starting well :) )

Have a good weekend guys!

ThomasG
06-26-2010, 05:58 AM
What do your macros look like for a low and high carb day? I see you've fallen victim to coke zero. I made a thread about them yesterday. Novus bars are life savers on low carb days. Nice to see some hard dieting in here keep it up, it will be so worth it!

Off Road
06-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Not a tough looking workout? Are you kidding? As soon as I read 3x12 on front squats I thought, "That's gotta be tough with any kind of weight." Nice work Daniel.

J.C.
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I saw the new title in your sig Dan and thought I'd check how our co-captain was doing.

At first I felt good for you because I've picked up comments you've left around the board about cutting for so long and I thought "Yes, somebody give the man a donut! He's finally switching to a higher calorie diet!"

Then I scrolled down... Sorry to hear you're back on the cut again. 12% body-fat is still pretty low. Have you considered maintaining around there for awhile, gaining some strength and then going back to cutting? I'm very impressed with your discipline at sticking to the plan, I'd have wanted a break in there just to stay sane.

Joe Black
06-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks JC.

To be honest, I had a good week and a half with some med and high carb days and then a 3 day bachelor party, so I consider that a bit of a break. And, it just seems silly to get my eat on when I cannot even do a pulling movement!

I just wanna get sub 170 for July 24th (vacation) and I will feel awesome!

I'll be eating a donut on my vacation for sure :)

Joe Black
06-27-2010, 01:21 AM
What do your macros look like for a low and high carb day? I see you've fallen victim to coke zero. I made a thread about them yesterday. Novus bars are life savers on low carb days. Nice to see some hard dieting in here keep it up, it will be so worth it!

I think carbs were at about 300, protein 280 and fat pretty low. I think. Bear in mind I only count the grams in the lean source of each macro so there are some other calories going on.

Yeah, diet coke or coke zero feels like a treat! :) novus bars too!

Cheers matey, appreciate you popping in!

Joe Black
06-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Weekend wasnt good. I ate too much on Saturday, which was a stupid thing to do - sunday was ok though and only 45 min cardio over the weekend as a whole - rubbish.

I spent Sunday and most of today pretty demotivated. I hate feeling like this. I'm not even exagerating when I say I just feel like punching a ****ing wall lol I just keep yo yo'ing and find it SO hard to put together a decent level of consistency 9more than say 7-10 days) and as a result it's taking me an age to make progress others do in a reasonablty time frame.

Not even sure what the answer is. The plan is solid, it's just me - I gotta find the key to sticking to the plan and not falling off.

If I can string together a patch of consistenty between now and the 24th I can go on holiday sub 170 and feel aWESOME. I know I can.

Or..

I can yo yo and go on holiday at 176ish and be pissed.

The choice is mine and it's mine to throw away or nail.

Joe Black
06-28-2010, 06:45 AM
The only good thing about the weekend is we made some brilliant progress on the new atlarge site, I'll post some screenshots soon for some opinions from you guys!

Joe Black
06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Monday 28th July

Good start to the week – low carb day 100% and I got a fairly decent session in at the gym. It’s a back off week this week and what with me having to also lay off pulling movements, workouts feel a bit lame at the moment, but at the end of the day cardio and keeping calories low is the most important things right now – I can worry about eating and progression from September!

Training session looked like this:

Row – 20 min
- warm up - 4 min @ 2:10/500M
- intervals – 6 x 30 sec @ 1:40/500M, 90 sec @ 2:10/500M
- Steady state – 6 min @ 1:55/500M

Romanian Deadlift – 1 x 8 @ 105KG, 3 x 12 @ 60KG
Bench Press – 3 x 8 @ 50KG
Elevated Split Squat – 3 x 10 @ 5KG DBS

Row – 10 min @ 2:00/500M

I am shooting for 45 min cardio per day, so I felt short here but I also cycled to the gym and back which is a total of 20 min so I just about made it 

Tuesday 29th July

Ok, a bit premeature as it’s 5:30pm as I write this, but a solid day. Weighed 174lbs this morning and feeling good.

I skipped morning cardio and hit the gym at lunch and got through 60 min.

stationary cycle - 10 min
cross-trainer – 20 min
skipping/punchbag – 20 min
cross-trainer – 10 min

And low carb is nice and on track.

Feeling nicely motivated right now....

ThomasG
06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Good job on staying on track with low carb days. They get easier with time, don't they?

borracho
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Borracho - lol, I hear you on th switching goals stuff. To be honest I've been pretty good at staying to true to the one goal (fat loss) for ages now and since my decision to switch to more of a lean gain I was feeling great and would be still on it had it not be for the pain in my elbows pretty much stopping me doing ANY pulling movements. So I figure, just get focused on a goal where my limitations are irrelevant.

I hear you...I've been lucky and not had any serious injuries that have limited my abilities as of late...

Keep up the hard work Daniel!

tomv
06-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Have you had the pain diagnosed, Mr. Clough?

Joe Black
06-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Good job on staying on track with low carb days. They get easier with time, don't they?

yep, but after 4 or 5 the tiredness and fatigiue kicks in... Just gotta keep fighting and looking forward to that refeed!

Joe Black
06-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Have you had the pain diagnosed, Mr. Clough?

Yeah, the guy said it wasn;t tendonitis, but just some pain/inflamation probably caused by dong too many chin ups.

He gave me some mobility exercises to do for a bit which he reckons will clear it up. We'll see.

Joe Black
06-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Weighed 172 this morning and feeling leaner. My tummy definately feels flatter right now and I am motivated to really get sub 170 now an hold it till vacation..

Off Road
06-30-2010, 07:32 AM
2 more pounds...you got this :)

Joe Black
07-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Wednesday 30th July

Ok, before I get started with Wednesday's update, I stepped on the scales this morning (Thurs) and I weighed in at exactly 170lbs! That's a PR by a big 2lbs. Man I am happy about this, but I gotta stay REAL focused and get below it. 168 = 12 stone exactly and getting sub 12 stone has been my goal from the beginning, so 3 more lbs and thats achieved. I'm def looking tighter too, everything is going SWEET right now.

Diet was an odd one today and probably helped the weight PR.

I only had 4 of my 6 meals on my low carb day. The first 4 were 100%, but then we went to a friends house about 6pm and stayed till 10:30pm and although I refrained from eating or drinking anything that had calories in it whilst I was there, when I got home I was pretty hungry, so I had some type of raison bar which had 30 carbs in it at 10:30pm ouch, but..... I was still well under my normal calories, so I wasn't too bothered.

Training was ok too. Back off session 2, so at 60%, but got 25min of cardio in before the session and in place of pulling movents. I need to step up at hit 65min cardio today to keep an average of 45min per day which IS GOING TO HAPPEN. IF I nail today, I could well be under 170 tomorrow.

COME ON.

f=ma
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
nice, didnt spot the new journal. i see youre making progress in here. raisin bar at 10pm isnt going to affect anything.. your overall daily and weekly calorie intake average are much, much more important. keep at it man

Joe Black
07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Cheers buddy.

Its 12:38pm right now and I'm hungry as hell. Can't wait till my next meal just for that table spoon of peanut butter ha ha. Then it's 60 min cardio :(

Joe Black
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Thursday July 1st

Well I smashed another 60 min cardio today:

cross-trainer – 20 min
skipping/punchbag – 20 min
cross-trainer – 10 min

And low carb has been 100%.

Gonna be interesting to see what the weight is tomorrow morning!

Joe Black
07-02-2010, 12:53 AM
oh my - 168.8 this morning.

f=ma
07-02-2010, 02:50 AM
nice dude. hows the mirror looking?

Joe Black
07-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Yeah, good. I definately look the leanest I have been - tummy is flater and abs are more defined upon tensing. I figure getting to 165 or so and they will show at relaxed!

My back is also showing as more defined too.

Can't wait to see what 3-4 more lbs lighter looks like.

Off Road
07-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Looks like that brief vacation from the cutting got your engine fired back up.

Joe Black
07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Yep, seems so!

Just spoke to Shelby too and I think he is gonna give me a high carb on Sunday seeing as I am dropping fast - I need it psychologically at least to keep me going. I feel totally energyless right now - low calories, low carb, 45 min cardio days on the trot kill me.

I took a pic of me at the gym this morning @ 168lsbs - crappy quality (taken with phone) but I figured I would finally post something so you guys can see where I am at.

I'm obviously happy I am no longer fat ;) But at the same time it is a stark reminder that I am lacking in the lean muscle department. For example I must be like 11% now and I am only just showing 4 abs and thats mainly because I do not have much abdomnial muscle - you cannot show whats not there!

I SO cannot wait till the first week of September where I have 8 months of lean gain ahead of me and if I apply the same level of determination that I have done the last month to those 8 months I should start to feel a bit better about how I look and my strength levels.

Well, here you go:

http://www.danielclough.com/pics/IMG_0024.jpg

And here is a pic from Nov 2009. (I guess I am around 200 here, about 15lbs down from my heaviest ever (215).

http://www.danielclough.com/pics/nov_2009.jpg

Joe Black
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
And another pic of me looking a bit puffy - this must have been about July 2009 - 215lbs.

http://www.danielclough.com/pics/old_racing.jpg

Joe Black
07-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Friday July 2nd

Today was pretty good. Kinda off the wal in respect to my diet, but in the grand scheme of things still good.

I knew I was going round to a friends in the evening for a BBQ, so I went with a fasting strategy to deal with it.

I didn't hit the gym at 10:00am on an empty stomach and did:

cross trainer - 20 min
cross trainer - 10 min
TOTAL - 40min

I drank a BCAA drink through my workout.

Then i went to meet a friend for lunch and whilst watching him drink two beers, have a chicken wrap and fries, I drank diet cokes. urgh.

Then off to the private facility where I did a bit of a half asses workout, but you gotta understand I was feeling very low on energy due to the fast and cardio. Plus it's still a back off week :)

Row - 5 min
Front Squat - 4 x 12 @ 40KG
Elbow mobility - 5 min
Elevated Single Leg Squat - 3 x 10 @ 5KG DBs
Floor Press - 1 x 10 @ 50KG, 2 x 10 @ 40KG
DB Curls - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KGs, Hanging leg raises x 8
DB Curls - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KGs, Hanging leg raises x 8

DONE.

Again, drinking a BCAA drink through my workout.

When i got home I had 100 Greek yoghurt, about 120 calories.

A walk of the dog then off to my friends with 2 gym sessions under my belt, and just 120 calories + 2 x BCAA drinks consumed.

I had 3 glasses of red wine, a burger with a bun, a chicken drum stick, a piece of halumi and a sausage. Then some chocolate Torte and Cream for desert... hmmm.

I would guess it was about 2,000 calories overall, so a bit over but considering the activity, low weight the last couple of days and the fasting, I'm happy.

This morning (Sat) I weighed 168.2 and I am sitting here typing this after 60 min tough fasted cardio.

I cannot WAIT till my high carb day on Sunday. I think I will go to the coast with Ella and the dog and have some fish and chips :)

When I got home

f=ma
07-03-2010, 05:55 AM
looking very lean man. enjoy that high carb day... and by fish and chips, you mean fish and freedom fries, right? haha

LuNa
07-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Amazing work Daniel. Congrats on the weight PR, that is brilliant. Keep it up! Im really looking forward to your lean bulk towards summer 2011.

Off Road
07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Inspirational Daniel.

Joe Black
07-07-2010, 12:45 AM
f=ma - ha ha yeah fries, we call them chips. They were lovely :)

Cheers Rv, I cannot wait to get my lean bulk on.

OffRoad - thanks buddy.

Ok, as per usual, a planned cheat day turned into an extravaganza lol. We ended up staying over on Sunday night so Monday was a write off too and Tuesday was better but not on the plan - no training for the 3 days.

Weight is at 174.

Strangely enough I am not that bothered. Quite frankly I don't see much benefit than being lighter than 168 for my vacation on the 24th, it just doesn't serve any purpose at this point. As long as I can board the plane weighing 168, I have achieved my original goal and I can go on vacation happy and with the knowledge I am not fat and know how to diet successfully, something that has not been the case for the last 10 years.

The plan is now to string 10 days low carb, 45 mins cardio together which should see me easily at 168 and it'll be the 17th July. I have a bachelors party evening that night, so I will then take the Sat and Sun off and then another 3-4 low carb days to bring me into the 24th (vacation time).

So the hard work starts again today, man I hate cardio and low carb. Was lovely to eat fish and chips and not do the cardio, but I don't want to return to my old self so I better get cracking.

Joe Black
07-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Oh I meant to say, the Get Real article, even though I read it months ago, really resonated with me yesterday.

I often look in the mirror and get mad that I do not look big and ripped. I just look skinny with a small amount of muscle (perhaps more than the average person) and not fat. Kinda sucks, but I have to keep that perspective. For the last 10 years on the run I have made several attempts to reduce my bodyfat, each one failing miserable. I've literally been on a main vacation at least 20 times during that period and been very pissed off about my inability to get lean.

This year, it happened. I am officially not fat. And thats a big thing for me.

Ok, I do not have much lean muscle and I could be leaner, but I am weighing 168 which considering I have been over 200 for about 10 years is pretty darn good. And more important than the achievement itself, I feel I have finally overcome my battle with food - I know what plan needs to be executed to get lean and I have the confidence that I can put it into practice and get the results which is pretty powerfull when you have failed to lose weight for most of your adult life.

The whole being big and lean thing has to be a five year goal if I am realistic. I need to put in a solid 3-4 years of 9 months lean bulk, 3 months cut. 3 years of trainnig hard, dieting consistently with that plan and I know I can come in around the 180 mark at sub 10% which would be FANTASTIC.

Just gotta keep the bigger picture in mind, stop comparing myself to others and get to work!

Off Road
07-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Sounds like you have a great plan and realistic expectations. Oh, BTW, you are far, far, far from fat now. So, just get that out of your head mister :)

borracho
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I SO cannot wait till the first week of September where I have 8 months of lean gain ahead of me and if I apply the same level of determination that I have done the last month to those 8 months I should start to feel a bit better about how I look and my strength levels.

I am sure your dedication will transfer over quite nicely Daniel! I cant wait to see the next chapter of your journey.

Joe Black
07-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Cheers guys!

Ok, back on the grind - a quick update for today/yesterday and then I will get back to better updates!

Yesterday (Weds 7th) I nailed a low carb 100%, but didn't get in the gym. Just had a crappy day and lamed out which is rubbish behaviour.

Today (Thursday) another low carb 100%, but this time I got in and did 60min cardio (20 cycle intervals, 20 skip/bag and 20 crosstrainer). Felt great to smas that cardio, need to get some momentum together now so I can definately board that plan at 168 or below.

tomv
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Just checked in for the first time in a while, should have done it sooner.

Nice to finally see some pics in here bud! Good to see that diet appears to be coming along well. I'll have to work real hard to make sure you don't catch up to me when you do start to pack on the beef haha.

Joe Black
07-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Friday 9th July

ooooh, 4th day on track :)

Low Carb day nicely done and I smashed 50 mins cardio (20min cross trainer, 20min skip/box, 10 min cycle)

Weighed 170 this morning (Sat)

If I can hold this down all weekend and nail an hour cardio each day I should be weighing 168 again Mon morning then all I have to do is maintain that bad boy through to the 24th.

Some hurdles along the way include a bachelor party day/evening (Sat 17th) and also a trip to the coast with the girl (Mon 17th/Tues 18th). IF everything is perfect around these events and I up cardio around them I know I will be 168 for the 24th.... Bring it on!

f=ma
07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
looking solid man, im glad the consistency is tying in

know what the worst part about dieting down is? allowing yourself to fatten back up again. ugh lol

Joe Black
07-12-2010, 04:51 AM
heh, yeah I can imagine..... although because I am weak and lacking in lean muscle, I'm just gonna put those thoughts aside and just purely focus on getting stronger, packing on muscle and not getting too crazy so I get fat again :)

The weekend was here or there. I didn't count calories (this HAS to change when I go on a lean bulk or I am going to get fat) but through holding out on eating till later in the day it limitied damage.

Weighing in at 171 this morning, so some SERIOUS work to do this week....

Mon - Fri are going to be low carb, lower calories and a min of 60 min cardio per day to get back to 168 or even below. I def need to be hitting the weekend at no more than 168 or the whole boarding the plan at 168 or below just ain;t gonna happen.

Feeling good about it though, just gotta get it done. Just 12 days till my vacation now - I CANNOT WAIT.

LuNa
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Sounding good Daniel, that 168 is yours!

Joe Black
07-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Maybe.............. ;)

Monday 12th July

Worst day ever so I am going to keep it short as to not annoy you and myself lol.

Diet = 100% low carb, that was about the only good thing that happened.

Went to gym but started havnig pains in my chest (think it was indigestion) so I couldn't work out. LAME.

Got home and realised I had left my Iphone4 at the post office. GONE. Had to bar the phone and sim card and I have no insurance. RUBBISH.

So no phone, no gym and I was in a MEGA mood.

Seem to have snapped out of it today and am gonna pull a monster cardio session to get myself back on track.

Off Road
07-13-2010, 08:01 AM
That sucks about the phone. Anyway, I wish you luck on the 168 lbs. Get it so you can enjoy your vacation.

Joe Black
07-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Tuesday 13th July

Diet was really good today - I strayed a bit from the macros but calories were nice and low as were carbs.

60 min cardio:

crosstrainer - 20min
skipping and punch bag - 30min
bike - 5min
crosstrainer - 5min

Still weighing 171, things should drop soooooooon though.

tomv
07-14-2010, 05:18 AM
waterload mate! then dehydrate just to get cut up for the holiday haha.

Joe Black
07-15-2010, 08:06 AM
lol, silly boy...

Weds 14th July

I absolutely smashed through things and had a great day.

AM - 45min steady state (10m cross trainer, 25min skip/bag & 10m bike)

PM - Weights - Hip Thrusts, elbow rehab, deadlifts, DB bench, lateral raises & sit ups. (can;t be bothered to write out the weights, just going through the motions really given the low calories and cardio).

Weighing in at 170 right now.

Whoop, whoop.

I cannot wait till I start my leab bulk still, updates may actually be half interesting at that point :)

LuNa
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Impressive cardio sessions Daniel. Good that you got out of your mood and got back at it twice as hard.

Joe Black
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
So been super slack with the updates.

The weekend was a bachelors party and Mon/Tues was spent at the coast with my girl. So not a lot of exercise (none) and food was pretty bad.

I am weighing 172 right now (4lbs over the 168 I wanted to be) so I have 3 days to end on a high - Weds, Thurs and Fri.

All of them are going to be low calorie, low carb and training WILL look like this:

Weds

AM - 30min intervals/complexes, 30 min steady state
PM - Weights

Thurs

PM - 30 min steady state & swim

Fri

PM - Weights

Joe Black
07-23-2010, 02:21 AM
I fully appreciate I am giving the worst updates ever lol.

I'm crazy busy trying to wrap up all work stuff before I go, but I am still putting in the effort gym wise and as described above.

One change though, I am gonna carb up today and hit the weights - probably help me fill out a bit and hey I just feel like it lol. I am weighing 170 right now, thats good enough for me.

Man, I cannot wait to spend a week eating, soaking up the soon and swimming!

I worked on my lean gain plan yesterday for when I return and here it is... Appreciate any feedback!

Mon - Weights - Total Body (High Carb)

Tues Steady State - 40min (Low Carb)

Weds - Weights - Total Body (Med Carb)

Thurs - Steady State - 40min (Low Carb)

Fri - Weights - Total Body (High Carb)

Sat - HIIT - 20min (Low Carb)

Sun - OFF (Low Carb)

The aim will be to do all of the cardio fasted and in the morning - that way I know its done and don't have to worry about it.

The total body training will be real straight forward - big compounds and in the 8-12 rep range. I just need to get stronger on the big exercises, period.

I would love to hit HCT-12, but I am training with my PT at his private facility so feel obliged to train with what he lays out as he is cutting me a GREAT deal.

But for example one of the sessions looks like this:

Romanian Deadlift
Bench
Pull Ups
Rows
Curls and Abs super setted

So, nice and simple.

Mobility will also be a big focus (A good 20 min before each weights sessions).

So good consistency on the diet, a focus on form and steady progression and things should work out well.

Man I cannot WAIT.

Off Road
07-23-2010, 08:32 AM
I like the plan...simple is best.

Wev expect a great vacation update when you get back!

LuNa
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a good plan! Hope you have an amazing holiday, Daniel.

Joe Black
07-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I am back and had a blast.

Italy was truly awesome - pretty decent weather other than a rainy day or two, 5 star luxury villa, lots of good ole italian food, plenty of red wine and a whole load of not moving around a lot ;)

Having said that I am also glad to be back and raring to start on the lean gain plan.

I weighed myself tonight and I was 175 which is not bad at all. I definately look fatter though and feel sluggish so I cannot wait to get back into the swing of training and eating right.

When I look back on the last 15 months of dieting, I lost close to 50lbs and was probably consistent about 50% overall which is obviously pretty crappy. Basically 4-7 days on, but then 2-3 days off and when I went off, I went OFF. So it took much longer than it needed too.....

Now that I have 2 high carb and 2 med carb days a week, I am hoping it will be easier to be consistent and I KNOW this is the number one thing that will get me the physique I want. I KNOW how to train and I KNOW how to eat, the plan is the easy bit. It's all now about executing the plan to a good level of consistency.

I've mapped out all of my high, med and low carb days and I am going to go shopping tomorrow (Sunday) and get everything I need and cook up 3 days worth of food to get me started on Monday.

Here is my shopping list!

Quaker Oats
Low Fat yoghurt
Granola Bars
Rice Cakes
Apples
Bananas
Chicken Breasts
Sirloin Steaks
Shredded Wheat
Weetabix
Rice
Sweet Potatoes
Fresh Vegetables
Coke Zero

My ONLY goals for the next 6 months are to be consistent to the training and diet plan 90%+, so BRING IT ON.

Off Road
08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm glad your vacation lived up to your expectations. A 5 lb gain, sounds like a good indicator of having a good time :)

Good luck on your new quest, we'll be watching...

Joe Black
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Cheers buddy - it makes such a difference knowing I have a few peeps watching what I am doing - the advice and accountability is invaluable.

Today was a very good start to the plan. Diet is going to end up being 100% for sure and it was good to get back into the gym and lift.

High carb today was SO awesome. It feels great to eat a reasonable amount of carbs again and it felt like I ate a lot of food and I felt energized for my workout.

Here is what the high carb looked like:

Meal 1
60g x Quaker Oats
200ml half fat milk
0.5 x Granola Bar

Meal 2
1 x Apple
Novus Protein bar

Meal 3
Chicken Breast (100g)
Rice (125g) + 2 x Rice Cakes
1 cup Veg

Meal 4 (Pre workout)
1 x Granola Bar
1x Oat Cake
40 carbs, 27g protein

Meal 5 (Post Workout)
1 serving Opticen (mixed in water)
1 x Banana
62 carbs, 40g protein

Meal 6
1 scoop of Nitrean (mixed with water)
1 x Crunchy Granola Bar (Nature Valley)
1 / 2 apple

Meal 7
Chicken Breast (100g)
1 Cup Veg
5 g fish oils

I am eating my pre and post workout meals earlier in the day now as I have switched my training to 2pm as it's easier for my training partner and it makes little difference to me - to be honest I prefer it as when iot gets to about 4pm I am starting to feel drained from work so this way I will be fresher.

As for training in general - I am starting light, being REAL patient with progression and focusing on form.

Todays session went like this:

Romanian Deadlifts - 3 x 10 @ 70KG
Back & Elbow mobility - 5 mins (whilst my training partner did chin ups)
Push Press - 1 x 10 @ 17.5KG Db's, 1 x 10, 1 x 9 @ 20KG DB's
Single Leg Elevated Squats - 3 x 10 @ 7.5KG DB's
Barbell Roll Outs - 3 x 8, 6, 5

I am super gutted I am still getting quite a lot of pain in my left elbow - this has been going on for months now so I am gonna get real focused on the rehab. I have daily exercises to do, have to lay off all pulling movements and am gonna ram down fish oil caps, ETS and Iboprofen till it clears up. I cannot wait to get back to pull ups and rows.

Thats about it.

Pretty slow day work wise - just bee catching up on all my emails and trying to work out what I gotta get done this week. Nearly done though!

Low carb + 40 min steady state tomorrow - urrghh. :)

borracho
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
glad to see ya back in the swing of things Daniel!! Lookin forward to watchin it as it rolls out.

Joe Black
08-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks buddy!

Not much to write home about yesterday, I just did what I had to do :)

It was a low carb day and I hit everything as planned, so thats 2 x 100% days on the run now - whoop, whoop.

Low carb looked like this in case anyone is interested:

Meal 1
30g x Quaker Oat Packs
200ml half fat milk
1.5 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
3g fish oils

Meal 2
1 x Granola Bar
3g fish oils

Meal 3
Chicken Breast (150g)
Up to 2 cups Veg

Meal 4
Chicken Breast (150g)
Up to 2 cups Veg

Meal 5
2 scoops of Nitrean (mixed with water)

Meal 6
Chicken Breast (150g)
Up to 2 cups Veg
5g fish oil

I had no troubles sticking to the plan, partly because its not as low carb as I was used to (twice as many) and also I know I have another medium and high carb day coming along real soon. Plus those tablespoons of peanut butter make it all worthwhile lol.

As for training, I got in and did my cardio but goddamn it kicked my ass. I was planning to do 45min, but only did 30 min as it was kicking my ass and my legs were super sore from split squats on Monday.

In fact I am sore all over and I felt like I hardly did anything. I can feel my shoulders sore from push press, legs are sore as hell from split squats and traps and ham strings super sore from romanian deadlifts and my abs.... man they are so sore I find it hard to sit up from lying down - all from 3 pussy sets at bar roll outs!

All good though, I love the feeling :)

Lastly, my weight is wierdly staying VERY low.This morning I was 169lbs :omg: How is that even possible lol? I was 172 when I boarded the plane for vacation and since then I have eaten tons and not worked out for like 10 days and my weight stayed the same and then went down 2 days back onto the program. Not moaning, I am hoping it is a sign that my metablism is better. I was always told it would be easier to maintain a weight than get there and this is SO true. I remember a time it didn't even feel like my body could go under 180lbs, now it feels the other way around lol.

What else....

Today is gonna be a bit tricky from a diet perspective. I am meeting a friend for breakfast and another for lunch, so I am not going to stick to the traditional meal plan and just make sure I hit may calories/macros which should be easy with sensible food choices. It's a medium carb day so I have a bit of flexibility too.

Work has been going good this week. Some really good articles been coming in lately and I am excited to publish them all which is always a good sign! Been cracking away at the new AtLarge Nutrition site too and it's coming along nicely. It's a pretty complex project actually seeing as we are moving from one site to another (would be much easier if it were a new start-up) because you run into all types of data import/functionality issues, not helped by the fact that the ecommerce software is different. Soon I will be able to show you guys some screenshots for some feedback!

Aight, thats it for now, I have rambled enough :)

Joe Black
08-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Not a bad day yesterday, although my diet went out the window.. Well... not out the window, but it wasn;t 100%.

I knew the day was going to be insanely hectic as I had 101 things to do, plus I was invited round a friends to eat... So, I didn't stick to the normal meal plans and just planned an unusual day which roughly hit my numbers.

And here it is - http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Cloughie&Year=2010&Month=7&Day=4

Now that would have been ok, but I ended up going into town with a friend after the dinner and had another 2 glasses of red and 2 caipirinha cocktails which probably stuck another 800 calories onto that. urggh...

It is what it is, but I have ot be careful not to get too lax about things or the lean bulk is going to turn into a bulk! It's a low carb/cardio day today, so I will eat a little less and also stick some extra intervals in to make up for it which should hopefully balance things out a little.

Anyway........ I did train and whilst I enjoyed the workout, the intensity and volume is definately not where it needs to be for 2 reasons - I am getting back into things and taking it slowly and also I still cannot do any pulling movements. But, I'm being patient and focusing hard on the things I can do for now.

Bench Press -3 x 10 @ 50KG (I am going to kill myself if my bench doesn't get to a respectable level soon)
Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 70KG
Elbow rehab (in place or rows)
Single Leg Squat to box - 3 x 10 @ BW (this needs to turn into reverse lunge once I have got my foot sorted)
Lying Leg Raises - 2 x 10

This would be an awesome workout if I could do everything - bench, dead, row and lunge.. nice!

Ok, thats it... Better make today COUNT!

Off Road
08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
I think the hardest part about dieting is the fear of getting smaller and weaker. I'll bet that the hardest part of gaining is the fear of just adding fat and not muscle. How do you deal with those mind games? I know that I've completely derailed my diet in the last few months because some of my lifts declined, so I started eating like I was on a gain again. Back to square one...

Joe Black
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the number one take home lesson I have learned in the last 5 years is have one clear goal and then be determined about doing whatever it takes to reach that goal and let go of the other goals you have until you reach it.

Decide to either focus on putting on lean muscle mass or to lose body fat and relentlessly pursue that goal. The worst thing you can do is try and do both or keep chopping and changing in my opinion.

Whilst I want to lean bulk, I am dertmined to put on muscle mass and get stronger through to March/April 2010 and I am not gonna beat myself up if I see myself getting a little less lean as a result.

ryuage
08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
good point.

I have to remind myself every day what my goal is to make sure I stick with it. Before I would go back and forth between I'm getting small and weak to I'm putting on too much fat.

Joe Black
08-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Nothing to write home about on Thursday. I should have got in 45min cardio, but I didn't make it in the gym - I just felt a bit exhausted and stressed so ended up skipping it.

My diet on Thursday was spot on though - low carb.

Friday was better. High carb day 100% and training went well too - still very light, but I am looking forward to really scaling up the weights in the next few weeks.

Front Squat - 3 x 10 @ 62.5KG
Incline DB Press - 3 x 8 @ 20KG DBS
Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8 @ BW (replacement for pulling movement)
Bar Thrusts - 3 x 10 @ 70KG
Renegade Row - 3 x 8 @ BW (lol, keeping my shape properly here was a nightmare)

Overall I am worried about eating to gain weight and the low volume and intensity of my workouts. (I don't want to gain too much fat)

The low volume is really because this is week 1 of a 4 week cycle (lowest volume of the 4 weeks) and also I am having to miss pulling movements.. But, this will change over the next few weeks.

And the intensity is because I am starting light and going to really focus on form and moving up patiently, so in about 6-8 weeks, the intensity should be much better as the weights move up.

Overall a good first week though.

I am gonna nail 30min HIIT and 30min steady state today which will put my cardio at 1:30 this week - 30 min short which I will ensure doesn't happen next week.

This weekend, I am going to stray from the diet as I have my brothers wedding today... So I am just going to eat nothing before I go (3pm) which will limit any damage done from eating the wedding food and having a few drinks. Sunday will be on track though.

tomv
08-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Dannyboy it looks like you're handing the bulk far better than the cut, your consistency seems quite good. You're a changed man!

f=ma
08-07-2010, 05:51 AM
good point.

I have to remind myself every day what my goal is to make sure I stick with it. Before I would go back and forth between I'm getting small and weak to I'm putting on too much fat.

this is exactly what im struggling with right now. waffling..

daniel, you are on the right track. bulking is the fun part... the only challenge is controlling the weight gain rate lol. as long as the intake is good and the workouts are consistent, you will surely meet your goal just in time to diet back down for the next leg. ideally, as youre carb cycling, you will have very little dieting to do.

Joe Black
08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
f=ma, I am appreciating how hard it is trust me. I slipped up at the weekend (my bros wedding on sat and eating whatever I wanted rolled into Sunday).

And I only did an hour of cardio for the week, should have been 2 hours.

Need to work on the consistency and diet for this week. Right now it's not disasterous, but 3 or 4 weeks like last week and I will see the lbs piling back on.

My Results arrived on Friday, so I will be starting that from today, so I am looking forward to seeing some nice strength gains from it.

Off Road
08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Get back on that horse. :)

Joe Black
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Spoke to Shelby today and he asked me to take out a high carb day and replace it with a medium carb day because last week wasn't on track and to really focus on being 100% this week.

The gym today was better from an intensity point of view as we upped the volume this week to 4 sets of everything and it was hard, hard, hard.

Romanian Deadlift - 4 x 10 @ 70KG
Single Leg Step up and squat down (using a box) - 4 x 10 @ 5KG DB'S
Push Press - 2 x 10, 2 x 8 @ 20KG DB'S
Single Leg Elevated Squat - 4 x 10 @ 7.5KG DB's
Barbell Roll Out - 4 x 6 @ BW

As for diet, I strayed from the food choices I had planned, but everything was hit and everything was clean.

So, all good.

Tomorrow will be a bit of a test. I have a funeral to go to, so I am going to hit the gym super early and get my cardio in and also stray from the normal food choices/timings in order to hit my numbers whilst being out for most of the afternoon. I'll manage it though, I really want to make this week a good one.

Joe Black
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Properly back on the horse :)

Today was always gonna be a big test on both the training and diet front. I had a funeral to go to which was gonna take up most of the afternoon, so I kinda went custom on the meal plan and relied heavily on supplements to just about hit my totals - I was just a bit short on protein and then overall calories.

Meal 1 - Novus bar + 3 eggs
Meal 2 - 3 X Nitrean + 3 tablespoons P/B + 5 fish oil
Meal 3 - 0.5 Results + 2 tablespoons P/B + 5 fish oil
Meal 4 - Novus bar + 5 fish oil
Meal 5 - 150g Chicken + 3 cups veg

As for training, I skipped it in the morning which would have been the sensible time to get it done. I got so pissed off with myself for doing that, I made it in for the evening and did 35 mins medium cardio.

Decent day, gonna get a good weights session in tomorrow, prob 20 mins cardio and 100% diet.

Joe Black
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Tomorrow is also gonna be a bit of an odd day - I have the dentist at 10:30 and I have to have a filling which means an injection and a numb feeling mouth (I am **** scared lol, I hate needles)

I kinda have a thing about going to the dentists with a clean mouth, so I don't want to eat before I go...

I am determined to hit the weights though, get in 20 min of cardio and make sure my diet is 100%. So, I am gonna cut the meals back to 3 meals tomorrow (group 2 meals into each meal), and follow an IF type approach - a big pre workout, post workout and then evening meal.

It'll look like this (numbers match my medium carb day)

1pm (Pre Workout)

1 x Results
4 x Nitrean
1.5 shredded wheat
100ml s/s milk

3.30pm (Post Workout)

1 serving x Opticen (mixed in water)
1/2 x Banana
Chicken Breast (150g)
1 cup Veg
1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
3g fish oils

6pm (Evening Meal)

90g protein (probably a mix of chicken and nitrean)
2 cups veg
8 g fish oils

Kiff
08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Good stuff getting back on track mate

J.C.
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I HATE needles, so I feel you pain. I had a few bad reactions to vaccinations when I was young. I remember throwing up everywhere and then fainting and it's always stayed with me.

When I was having unprecedented problems with insomnia last month my doctor wanted me to get a blood test and just the thought of it made me flinch. I persuaded her not to bother and wait to see if it worked itself out and luckily it did. It's my only phobia, no fear of heights, spiders, flying, nothing... but I'm really scared of needles. Embarrassing really. My doctor even recommended I go to the bloodwork people and get them to show me the equipment and talk me through it all. Apparently they do run-through sessions for people who are scared lol. It's my fear that one day I'll have to give a blood sample or something and just won't be able to do it and freak out, so maybe she's got a point...

Joe Black
08-11-2010, 02:08 AM
JC, I am the same... I have nearly fainted at the dentists before and the assistant had to get me a glass of glucose as if I was a small child ha ha.

Not just needles for me, I tend to have problems with health related stuff in general. I hate doctors and hospitals. It;s not unusual for me to get real hot and feel like fainting just sitting in the doctors waiting room!

I'll get through it though. I just had a close family friend die and also someone else I know have all sorts of health problems. I really should not be moaning about a small injection for a filling!

f=ma
08-11-2010, 02:50 AM
zero cavity club right here!!

Joe Black
08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
bastard!

It wasn;t fun at all - an injection in my top and lower gum and 20 mins of drilling and poking about and then a numb face through till about 4pm lol..

But, the good news. I got my ass in and trained and felt great, even though the numbers were looooooooooow. Just gotta be patient.

Looked like this:

Bench - 50KG - 2 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 8
Deadlift - 70KG - 4 x 8
Overhead Squat - 4 x 8 @ 10KG bar
Reverse lunges - 4 x 8 (each side) @ 15KG
Lying Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 3 x 12 @ BW

My foot rehab has been going well, so managed to do reverse lunges today. Hurt my foot a little but not enough to stop me doing it.

Overhead squat is in place of rows - elbow is still hurting which SUCKS.

As for diet, I really wasn;t able to eat as planned because my face was literally numb through till 4pm ish.

So I ended up switching it up. And the best thing is because its even less meals I had a ton of calories to consume in the evening, so I am gonna eat out with the girl. We're gonna go to a Japanese restaurant, see below :)

4pm - Post Workout

1 serving x Opticen (mixed in water)
1 x Novus Protein Bar
0.5 x Results

7pm - Evening Meal:

1 x Breast Duck
2 cups rice (steamed)
3 x Chicken Wings
2 x Pork Ribs

Before Bed

5 x Nitrean

Gotta love Fitday for keeping you on track when you stray from the normal meal plan - http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Cloughie&Year=2010&Month=7&Day=11

borracho
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Over head squats are effin hard...good on you for doing them..especially after the oral surgery.

Joe Black
08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
@borracho - Yep, the overhead squats were pretty tough.. I was only doing them with a 10KG bar too :( The weight didn't feel heavy over my head, but keeping the bar over my head and not having it come forward and maintaining my overall shape as I squatted down was the toughest thing which comes down to my overall core strength... I can't wait to move to a proper olympic bar and load up ain time :)

Yesterday was a good on track day. Again, I got a bit creative on the diet front because I had a lunch scheduled with a designer to discuss the label for our new BCAA supplement and I had to fit in that with a low carb day. So I decided to fast the morning, have steak and fries for lunch, then 4 x nitrean + 3 tablespoons of peanut butter about mid afternoon and then for my evening meal I had 2 chicken breasts, veg and 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter and 5 fish oil which pretty much is my 6 meals condensed into 3 again.

Even though I hit my numbers and macros, I still feel a bit guilty, so I am looking forward to having a 100%medium carb day today as planned with my 6 meals - super clean.

I also got my ass in the gym and nailed 35 mins cardio yesterday and went at it pretty hard.

Stationary Bike - 10 min (5 x 30 sec intervals with 90 sec steady state inbetween).
Cross Trainer - 10 min
Skipping - 10min
Cross Trainer - 5 min

At the moment I'm really focusing on working hard on the steady state rather than just going through the motions - I only do 2 hours a week so gotta make it count.

So far I am at 1:10 this week for cardio.. I am gonna fit in 30 min this evening which will take it to 1:40 and then tomorrow I will do 30 min HIIT and a bit of steady state after to come in about 2:20 which will be SPOT ON.

I also encouraged my girlfriend to join the same same gym I do cardio at so this will definately help me get all my cardio done each week as she'll want to go a few times a week and it will be a good thing for us to do together..

What else...

I picked up a book the other day which is not something I would normally read and am properly getting into it, It's called If This Is a Man / The Truce (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0349100136/ref=oss_product). Basically an account of a guys experience being captured and spending time in a concentration camp and also his experience of surviving and life afterwards. I hadn't much knowledge of this and it's just so messed up how people could have been subjected to this - it's not even possible to put into words - I definately recommend it as a read.

Lastly, this is my new tune for the gym - YOUNG MONEY!

Zf3fvzTREVQ

f=ma
08-13-2010, 02:56 AM
yeah i have heard the OHS is tough. i have never tried it.. probably wont either lol

and what happened to your foot/elbow? i dont remember reading about that..

Off Road
08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Overhead squats mess with your head. How can something so light cause so much difficultty? Tough exercise. Good for you for giving it a try. Remember to visualize pulling the bar apart as you lower yourself.

Joe Black
08-19-2010, 01:32 AM
f=ma - my left foot really hurts on the ball of the foot and it's always stopped me doing stuff like lunges as it has minimal flexibility and causes me a lot of pain... I am slowly pushing it to be more flexible though and I am now able to do lunges with just a small bit of pain which is better than not being able to do them at all :)

My elbow is the frigging killer and it's really getting me down right now as I am unable to do ANY pulling movements. Tightnesss in my elbow and pain when curling/rowing etc. I was stupid and worked thorugh this when it first came up so I think I just have to be patient but it's been 2 months off pulling movements now and it still hurts so I am getting a bit worried. Admittedly I have not been very good with my rehab, so I am 3 x a day without fail now and we'll see how things shape up in the next few weeks.

As for overhead squats - ideally I wouldn;t do them as I just want to get on and train for show, but it is what it is and it's a filler exercise for pulling movements. Damn hard though as OR said!

As you guys will have noticed, I have been a bit quiet lately. I've been REALLY struggling at the moment. I felt ill over the weekend hence no training and to be honest I have just been feeling low about everything - training, life in general, work etc. I'm really focusing on breaking through it because I have a lot of good things going on I just felt real low for a few days.

I've been going through a 'I'm ****ing weak and hate it' phase. Had a good chat with Fran (FAngel from the forums) over dinner last night and he reminded me that I have to see this as a starting point. I lost the weight and yeah I am weak as **** but it's like a new start and I have to just remember what I achieved in the last year and a half and just remain focused and the gains will come. I knew this of course, but it was good to hear it.

I just gotta get this elbow thing fixed, focus on getting stronger and keep my diet in check and things will go well.

I am a bit worried that my routine is a little too strength focused if my main goals are hypertrophy, but at the end of the day it isn;t going to do me any harm building some foundations with strength in compound movements and then I can switch to HCT-12 or DC after that.

So, the next 4 months I have to be real focused - the plan is there I just gotta goddamn follow it and keep my head up.

Ok, enough of me whining. Yesterday was high carb day and my only slip was some dinner with Fran but I had some carbs and protein saved up so even though I went over calories, it wasn't that bad at all.

Training session went like this:

Bench Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 57.5KG
Deadlift - 3 x 6 @ 80KG
Reverse Lunge - 3 x 12 (6 each side) @ 30KG
Overhead Squat (replacement for pulling movement) 3 x 8 @ 15KG
Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 2 x 8 @ 2.5KG

Today is 45 min cardio and low carb day which is gonna get NAILED.

Me an the girl talked a lot over the weekend and we decided we may just buy a house. We currently rent through a govt scheme so the area is rubbish and it's a 1 bed flat so it always feels messy as its just so small... Be nice to have a bigger place with a garden... Just looking into mortgages right now and whats possible to borrow and also what type of houses are about at the moment, so you never know......

Better updates from this this week from now on I promise :)

f=ma
08-19-2010, 02:57 AM
training for hypertrophy is unreasonably difficult to measure imo.

gain 30lbs on a 5RM lift with adequate cals and i guarantee there will be some lean mass gain in there. I believe ive said this exact phrase before... but training the muscle and not the movement sounds great, but how do you measure that if not by strength? sadly we're not all acress lol

Off Road
08-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree with f=ma completely. Time to just focus on the weight you put on the bar. Start looking for those PRs and you'll be feeling great in no time.

Joe Black
08-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Yep, I agree with you guys - I just need to focus on building up a respectable foundation of strength over the next 6 months...

Yesterday was pretty good. Low carb was 100% which felt great and I dragged my ass in to do some cardio:

Stationary Cycle - 15 mins (intervals)
Crosstrainer - 10 mins
Uphill Walking/light running - 10 mins
Skipping/Bag work - 10 mins

Weight is still 171lbs (including a few slips), so I reckon Shelby has to be giving me some more calories soon :)

Looking forward to today - high carb + front squats so I am gonna really go for a decent effort on them.

Lastly, loving this tune at the moment - already on the ipod for Sat's cardio session!

b2ZTrXZZfUk

f=ma
08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
looking good bro. front squats are killer. exercise thats so hard i pass on entirely hah. i cant get into rap. i liked trance and EDM type stuff for cardio personally

Off Road
08-20-2010, 07:30 AM
and I like Punk Rock for all of life's activities.
Good luck with the front squats today.

borracho
08-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Me an the girl talked a lot over the weekend and we decided we may just buy a house. We currently rent through a govt scheme so the area is rubbish and it's a 1 bed flat so it always feels messy as its just so small... Be nice to have a bigger place with a garden... Just looking into mortgages right now and whats possible to borrow and also what type of houses are about at the moment, so you never know......

Thats awesome man...I am in the same boat sorta. I dont want to waste any more money on renting and with the interest rates as low as they are currently..it seems now would be the time to buy if you can. GL on the search!

As for the elbow...is there anything that has seemed to help it? Ice/heat?

LuNa
08-21-2010, 04:19 AM
training for hypertrophy is unreasonably difficult to measure imo.

gain 30lbs on a 5RM lift with adequate cals and i guarantee there will be some lean mass gain in there. I believe ive said this exact phrase before... but training the muscle and not the movement sounds great, but how do you measure that if not by strength? sadly we're not all acress lol

That is great advice which i completely agree with. Working the muscle may work for some people or on some lifts, but nothing beats adding 50 pounds to your squat/dead/bench.

Nice work Daniel. Good job on the OHS and the Front squats. Im sure that by the time cutting comes around, you will look different already. Keep up the good work!

Joe Black
08-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Cheers for the advice fellas, I was really happy with how last went. I put weight on the bar for each lift and it was comfortable. My diet was 90% and I got my cardio in too!

Ok, so Fridays session went like this:

Front Squats - 3 x 6 @ 70KG (I am 99.9% sure it was 70KG, I have it written down at the gym though)
Incline DB Press - 3 x 6 @ 22.5KG DBS
Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 10, 8, 8 @ BW (replacement for pulling movement)
Bar Thrusts - 3 x 6 @ 75KG
Renegade Row - 3 x 12 @ BW (each side)

Saturdays sesion was super awesome. Mainly just cecause I didn't think I had it in me to train so hard by myself. It was a conditioning session, so I just decided to pick several exercises and do them back to back for rounds of 3 or 4. In total this took me about 45 mins and I was drenched at the end of it and am still super sore from it.

Looked like this:

Round 1 (4 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

Push Press x 15 reps @ 16KG DBS
Press Up Burpees x 12 reps
Step Ups x 20 reps (10 each side) @ 16KG DBS

Round 2 (4 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

Goblet Squat x 15 reps @ 20KG DB
Skipping @ 100 skips
Turkish Get Up - 4 reps (2 each side) @ 20KG DB

Round 3 (3 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

Single Leg Elevated Split Squats - 16 reps (8 each side)
Lying Tricep Extensions - 12 reps @ 10KG DBS

I am going to get into the habit of doing this every Saturday as to be honest I love getting the volume through me and also its gonna be great for cardio.

Off Road
08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I really like Friday's session. That's serious work.

Joe Black
08-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Cheers!

A quick update for Monday. Diet was medium carb and it went ok - a little slip at the end of the day (waffle dessert!) but apart from that good and I'll make up for it with a bit of extra cardio!

Training was good - I am feeling stronger each week. Went like this:

Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 75KG (felt easy)
Single Leg Step Up and Squat Down (to box) - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 12.5KG DBS
Push Press - 3 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
Elevated Single Leg Squat - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 10KG DBS (easy)
Bar Roll out - 2 x 8 (tough)

SO weight is going up and most of it could have been at a higher weight - I just want to be patient with how I am cranking it up.

August is annoying me from a productivity and consistency point of view. Always seems to be something taking me off track - whether it be a social event or just smultiple distractions in the day.

This week is awful for it. I am away this evening with my Grandad to go and see his boat so today and Weds will be funny days from a diet perspective - aim is to just keep calories/carbs low and protein and water high and not stress about too much else. Sat afternoon/evening and Monday afternoon/evening I have big parties to go too also. The plan is just to keep carbs/calories low around it and do more cardio to even things out but the whole thing is not ideal.

I'll be glad to have 4 or 5 weeks with not much on to really knuckle down and work hard on AtLarge and also my training. Once this weekend is out of the way I should have a clear run.

f=ma
08-24-2010, 02:51 AM
having an active social life is def not a negative. my major weakness is overindulgence to one or the other.. i dont know what my deal is with impulsive obsession. i dont like to split my efforts and insomuch, I can dominate whatever course upon which i set myself. either way, commitment to hitting your sessions and getting your cals more often than not will result in progress

keep it up bro

Joe Black
08-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Mate, I am exactly the same - I'm either off or on and when I do each I seem to be 110% but overall it means a lack of consistency :( I hear you on the calories and just getting work done thing and thats what i am trying to remember.

So far this week diet has been a bit here or there - probably 70% which is rubbish considering the 2 parties I have between now and Monday which are effectively planned slips anyway.

So the plan is today to keep things 100% on medium carb for a good training session, some cardio tonight, a great conditioning workout tomorrow morning and then a cool party on Saturday.. Cardio Sunday and party again on Monday!

If I find myself heavier than I want to be on Tues (probably) I can always throw in a cut week just to even things off, so we'll see.

Hit the gym yesterday and the session felt great..

Bench Press - 1 x 8 @ 60KG, 2 x 8 @ 57.5KG
Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 80KG
Reverse Lunge - 3 x 16 (8 each side) @ 30KG
Overhead Squat (replacement for pulling movement) 3 x 10 @ 15KG
Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 2 x 12 @ 2.5KG

Considering I struggled with 60KG for 2 reps 3 weeks ago on bench, that ain't bad going and the signs are there that I will get up to a respectable level soon.

Front squats today - urrghh.

Off Road
08-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Your social life seems very active. I swear you have a couple of parties a week. I think raising kids has slowed me down.

Nice job increasing that Bench. That's a good sign that things are moving in the right direction.

f=ma
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
cutting for a week is pointless dude. having said that, just keep everything as consistent as possible.

i should follow my own advice right? hah. THIS TIME ITS FOR REAL

f=ma
08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
also.. you guys should get some white ALN shirts in addition to the other colors. i have one of everything and 2 grays. need some more selection :P

Joe Black
08-28-2010, 01:18 AM
John - tell me about it.. Everywhere I turn there seems to be a stag do, wedding, birthday party, baby arrival or just some other excuse for a party - i thought it would slow down when I hit 30 but the type of party just changes lol.

Tim - You BETTER get fat, I'll be busting your balls if you keep switching! I hear ya, I just know the next few days are gonna kill me because unless I am a total bore, I will be relaxing and drinking/eating bad stuff. I'll limit the damage a bit though and we'll see where I end up and you're right a cut would be stupid. I mean I am still only 3lbs heavier than I was when I went on vacation and that was nearly 4 weeks ago so I am not exactly much fatter. I can just see some definition fading, but thats got to be the case really.

Fridays session was pretty good.

Front Squats - 3 x 8 @ 70KG
Incline DB Bench Press - 3 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8 @ BW
Bar Thrusts - 3 x 8 @ 75KG
Renegade Rows - 2 x 16 (8 each side) @ BW

Overall I didn't really feel that the workout taxed me too much, but I think it's more the fact that I am stil missing pulling movements and anyway next week jumps to 4 sets of everything which should be tougher.

Right, off to do a big met con session now to make me feel good about havibg a few beers and BBQ food tonight!

Off Road
08-28-2010, 07:46 AM
I hear you on the "pulls" making you the most tired. Rows and deads tire me out more than anything else. Still, I'm sure you can contribute the "fresh" feeling to your improved conditioning too.

Joe Black
09-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Rubbish updating here - I will get back to it ASAP!

Weights session on Monday went well - basically more volume on the sets and next week we go up in weight. Everything felt good although I had a bit of back pain on Tuesday which has gone now but I still might duck out of doing deadlifts today to be on the safe side, we'll see.

I'll be back with a proper update today!

Joe Black
09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Good session yesterday! I was a little worried going into it as I had some back pain and I was even half considering ditching the deads, but in the end went for it and I am glad I did.

Bench Press - 4 x 8 @ 60KG (still pussy but a big improvement on 3 x 8 @ 50KG about 4 weeks ago)
Deadlift - 4 x 8 @ 80KG (felt easy)
Overhead Squat - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KG, 3 x 8 @ 15KG
Reverse Lunges - 4 x 16 (8 each side) @ 30KG
Lying Leg Raises - 2 x 12 @ 2.5KG

So, overall not bad - I coped with the increased volume just fine and still feel I have a decent extra in the tank - just not wanting to rush it and get injured.

Also, I am really getting to feel how to deadlift properly. Back in the day I used to just pick that weight up and my lower back would take a lot of the weight. Now I get my hips and shoulders set and make sure everything is tight before picking it from the floor and I can feel it remain tight throughout so the hips/glutes/hams are doing the bulk of the work.

Still need to tighten up the diet - yesterday was 85% and it's still not good enough - I am noticing my tummy and lower back are filling out a touch so I want to reign that in. Just too many social temptations right now :(

Mark!
09-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Sup Danny boy. Looking good man. Deadlift and squat form are crucial, not only in not hurting yourself, but in also getting the most strength from the lifts. Good to see you still going at it in here.

Joe Black
09-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks Mark!

I've been an idiot lately and just kinda fell off the wagon - **** I hate it when that happens. I still have been training, but diet has been literally 50% consistency and cardio no more than 1 hour per week (half of what I set out to do). I know if I keep it up I am going to be unhappy with how my body changes - so back on now big time.

Also been getting lower back/glute pain for the last 5 days, I reckon squatting, deadlifting and romanian deadlifting each week is starting to get to me. I'm going to watch this closely and if it keeps up probably drop out deadlifts. Still got elbow pain, but its slowly going away... Goddamn it I am like a train wreck, sometimes it feels that I am simply not built to get strong on the main lifts and I often consider just doing 3 or 4 met con sessions a week as it would definately be a safer way to train and I would probably put on muscle and stay pretty lean.

For now though I will continue on the same path and just focus on getting progressively stronger on the key lifts. I'm now getting in 30-45 mins mobility stuff a day to hold down the aches and pains.

Yesterdays session was a 'weight jump' week with a little less volume. Everything was hit just fine and it felt pretty easy actually so I have a bit to go yet until things start getting really tough.

Romanian Deadlift - 1 x 77.5KG x 8, 2 x 80KG x 8 (easy, peasy)
Push Press - 2 x 8 @ 25KG DBS (just ok, last set was a little tough)
Single Leg Elevated Squat - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 12KG DBS (easy peasy)
Step Ups - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 20KG DBS (just ok)
Bar Rollouts - 3 x 8 (tough, but getting more range of motion and feeling it more in abs)

I finished off with 15 mins steady state (10 min cross trainer, 5 min skip)

As for diet, it looked like this (high carb day)

6 x oat biscuits
0.5 x Granola Bar

1 x Apple
Novus Protein bar

Chicken Breast (100g)
1 cup Veg

1 x Results

0.5 banana

1 x scoop of Nitrean (mixed with water)
1 x Crunchy Granola Bar (Nature Valley)
1 / 2 apple

150g chicken
salad leaves
5 g fish oils

Low carb + 30-45 mins steady state today - fun times.

Off Road
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
That was a serious workout, nice work. I'm going through the same stuff right now; the lifting is going well, the conditioning is crap, and my diet is all over the place. I had a long talk with my wife about us doing a better job of planning our meals.

tomv
09-08-2010, 07:53 AM
That low back / glute pain is weird Danny, considering you do a fairly balanced workout and seem to do a fair bit of mobility/flexibility stuff.
Do you make sure to get your hip flexors with all that work?

Joe Black
09-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Tell me about it Tom, I think I am just a magney for tightness/injuries lol.

Actually, its all cleared up mostly now and everything feels good and I even deadlifted and lunged yesterday so fingers crossed - just gotta keep up the mobility effort.

Weds I skipped cardio, but low carb was spot on - I'll make up the cardio before the end of the week comes.

Yesterday I had a really good workout - weights all up because it is a weight jump week and to be honest I breezed through everything. Session went like this:

Bench Press - 2 x 8 @ 62.5KG, 1 x 7 @ 62.5KG and 1 x 10 @ 50KG
Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 82.5KG
Reverse Lunge - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 32.5KG
Overhead Squat - 3 x 8 @ 15KG (I think because I used a diff bar/gym)

I also played around with some DB rows with the 20KGs (3 x 8) and my elbow held up pretty well. I felt it a bit but hardly at all and no pain today so I reckon I can start introducing light rows and assisted chin ups from next week - AT LAST.

And I ended with 15 mins on the crosstrainer so thats 30mins cardio bagged, so a 45 met con plus a 45 SS should finish me off nicely for my 2 hours by Sunday.

Weighing 177 right now and even though I still look leanish in the mornings/post workout I can definately feel myself filling out a bit. But the lifts are going up easily week in, week out so thats a plus.

Joe Black
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Massively pissed off with myself as of late.. Had a really crappy weekend/Monday from a diet perspective and also I have been really unproductive on the work front too - been switching from a pc to a mac and its taking longer than expected to make the transition, plus I have had some other distractions like sorting the mortgage for the new house etc. I just feel so slipping lame..

Shelby has asked me to stick to medium and lows this week as a result, so that plus a touch extra cardio should tighten things up a touch and still be enough to keep me going.

Anyway.......

This week is a back off week so just working up to a couple of sets of 6 on each exercise...

Session yesterday went like this:

Romanian Deadlifts - 2 x 6 @ 80KG
Side Step Ups onto Box - 2 x 6 @ 15KG DBS
Push Press - 2 x 6 @ 25KG DBS
Elevated Split Squats - 2 x 6 (each leg) @ 12KG DBS
Bar Roll Out - 2 x 6

Today (Tuesday) I have stuck to a low carb day 100% which feels good. No cardio even though I should have gone - I got really stressed today about several stuff and ended up just working late to get what I needed to get done. I will get in tomorrow and kick the cardio off for the week though, aswell as a weights session later on in the day and will definitely nail a medium carb 100%.

Gotta get this **** sorted out and get back on track - just feel all over the place right now.

f=ma
09-15-2010, 03:18 AM
so you ended up buying a spot? congrats! i hope youre pleased with youre choice, im sure you are or you would not have purchased. anyways.. hip pain? i was having glute pain last year and it turned out that i had developed a big disparity in flexibility.. which i worked on over 2 weeks or so until things evened out. it was weird.

anyways though, lifting looks real good man. consistency cant be perfect.. life does get in the way sometimes haha. fortunately for me, i ignore it. but ya dude, keep hitting it

Off Road
09-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Like F=ma said, life can get in the way. What makes the difference is re-dedicating yourself to it. Press on...

Joe Black
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Cheers guys - press on I will :) I just seem to be worst than most at fighting off distractions and temptations, but I will continue to do my best and regardless my training is always consistent, its just the goddamn diet part of it!

Tim, yeah I bought a place 20 mins from where we live at the moment. I think I will miss Cambridge, but its SOOO expensive to buy in Cambridge so you get a ton more for your money outside of Cambridge and we're still close enough to get there quickly. Plus the town we moved to is also very nice.

Check out the pdf attached, it is the brochure of the house. Its not what we were originally looking for, but we kinda fell in love with it when we saw it and it doesn't really need a thing doing to it.

Ok, training and diet - hit about 90% medium carb and session went like this: (again working up to the 2 x sets)

Bench - 2 x 6 @ 62.5KG
Deadlift - 2 x 6 @ 82.5KG
DB Rows - 2 x 6 @ 25KG DBS
Reverse Lunges - 2 x 6 @ 32.5KG

Rows felt ok, a bit of pain but I gotta get back to doing them at some point, so I will just continue with the rehab work alongside and keep things light.

Feeling a bit rough today, not sure why - need an early nights sleep really so thats what I'll do now :)

Joe Black
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
ok, attachment thing didn't work properly - see this link for the house - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27460462.html?premiumA=true

Joe Black
09-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Boring update for today - 5 meals out of 6 nailed for my low carb day today so far, so just a chicken salad to finish with and its a 100% day.... and I did 30 mins fasted steady state this morning.

Tomorrow will be more fun - med carb and front squats :)

f=ma
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
daniel, that place looks real nice. i like the hardwood. i have it myself but my dogs nails really do a number on it so if you have pets beware of that

Joe Black
09-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Tim, I do have a dog yeah, pic of him attached to this post. He is a cheeky little bugger - maybe I will get him some little dog shoes for the house lol

Man I feel great for nailing a low carb day yesterday and getting some cardio in. Weighed 173 this morning which is more like it.

Lets see if I can stay on the wagon this weekend :)

f=ma
09-17-2010, 02:51 AM
youll be fine. how are you finding the carb cycling for gaining so far? i really need to set aside some time at some point in the next year or so to do an extended stint of carb cycling to see how i respond.

ya your pup is very nice. shouldnt be a prob on the floors as he isnt too big. my labrador is pretty big so his claws put indentations on the floor when he is excited and running around.. doesnt mean to damage it but it just happens as the wood is soft and hes 80lbs

anyways tho, good stuff.

Off Road
09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Cool looking dog and even better looking home. Congrats.

Joe Black
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
f=ma, I reckon you would like carb cycling... Feels great to load up on carbs training days and then cut them back on off/cardio days - just seems like an appropriate use of carbs and I definitely feel better for it.

I did a bit of soul searching over the weekend. I haven't been happy with a lot of things in my life recently and a lot of it comes down to lackluster levels of motivation and also I have been procrastinating in most areas of my life. I guess it just feels like I have been bumbling along and it makes me feel crappy because I am naturally someone that likes to be focused and achieve good things.

So I spent a lot of the weekend re-mapping out my visions for each area of my life (fitness, financial, social life, learning etc) and also I planned out some realistic goals for the rest of 2010 which should get me fired up.

That won't do it alone though - I've always set goals and at times procrastination and laziness gets the better of me. So I need to change about how I attack each day if things are going to change.

Some things I am going to change:

- properly plan out each day before I start
- cut right back on random Facebook/email checking
- tackle the boring/difficult jobs first to get them out of the way
- start the day earlier and put in some hours in the evening
- eat my meals on time, even if I don't feel like it (delaying them normally means I slip)

You get the idea, basically just be more effective on a daily basis.

Today has gone great - I have done everything already that I wanted to get done (its 16:35) and already had a good gym session. I can nail another couple of hours of work and feel good about going out with a few mates for a social one.

New training program from this week also which should shake things up. We're switching from a 3 day full body spit to an 4 day upper/lower spit - 4 exercises each session.

So my routine will look like this now

Mon - upper
Tues - lower
Weds - cardio
Thurs - upper
Fri - lower
Sat - conditioning
Sun - off

Progression works like this:

Week 1 - 3 x 8-10
Week 2 - 4 x 8-10
Week 3 - 3 x 6 (up weight)
Week 4 - 2 x 6 (back offish)

Todays session went like this:

Incline DB Press - 2 x 10 @ 22.5KG DBS, 1 x 7 @ 22.5KG DBS
Barbell Row - 3 x 10 @ 50KG
Floor Press - 3 x 10 @ 50KG
Chin Ups - 3 x 10 @ blue band

Nothing was super taxing, so should be able to up the weights nicely over the next few weeks. Felt great to do an upper body workout, I actually felt pumped.

Kinda sucked doing chins on a blue band, I am stronger than that but I am aware of my elbow and I want to keep the weight off it for now, but just get a bit of volume going through me at least.

Diet has also been great today. I am saving some calories for tonight though as a few of us are popping out for a bit of food for a friends birthday.

I ate my first 4 meals of a high carb day as normal:

50g x Quaker Oat Packs
300ml half fat milk
0.5 x Granola Bar

1 x Apple
Novus Protein bar

Chicken Breast (100g)
1 cup Veg

1 x Results

That leaves me with 90g carbs, 65g protein and a bit of fat to play with tonight which should be doable.

Oh, I've also decided to stop working with Shelby for a bit. Nothing he has done, he is an awesome diet coach and I owe my weight drop to him, but with buying the new house I need to cut out unnecessary costs and to be honest it should just be a matter of 2 high carb, 1 med and 4 lows per week through till summer. If I slip on the consistency and want to dial it back its just a matter of running no highs for a week and if I don;t gain, I can replace lows for med and highs. Consistency is the thing I have to work on.

Phew, sorry about the long post - just needed to get that out!

Focused70
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Like F=ma said, life can get in the way. What makes the difference is re-dedicating yourself to it. Press on...

+1 on so many levels.

Off Road
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Good for you for taking stock and making a plan. I do that weekly...because I slip up weekly :)

Also, I like the look of your workout. That's right up my alley and very similar to what I'm doing.

Coke
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Making certain adjustments and setting new priorities and acting upon them is the only way to go, glad to see you taking the steps in order to get to the next level with everything. Good luck with your new place.

Joe Black
09-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, it really helps me knowing people are reading and watching :) I'm feeling pretty good about things right now and I can see myself settling into some good consistency now.

Yesterday was a a pretty good day. Great training session and 90% on diet...

Training was a lower body session and went like this:

Jump Shrug - 3 x 8 @ 30KG (wasn't overly heavy, but getting the right form here was tricky)
Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 80KG
I cannot remember what I did here!! I will update when I remember lol
Reverse Lunges - 3 x 8 @ 40KG

I'm going to start pushing myself a bit more on the weights in general from now on. I haven't really been training to failure for a while and even though its working from a not getting injured/getting stronger point of view, I think I can load up a little more and not cross the fine line.

Diet was pretty good as mentioned above. Now that I am training 4 days a week, its kinda messed up the whole 2 high, 1 med and 4 low carb day set up as it kinda sucks training hard on a low carb day as theres nothing for pre and post workout. So I will run 2 x high, 2 x med and 3 x low for a few weeks and so how I get on. If I am consistent with this it should be fine, but if it feels too much I will switch to 1 x high, 3 x medium and 3 x low.

So I started off with a low yesterday (as is normal for tuesday) and then realised about the whole 4 day thing, so kinda did a bit of both lol

Today is low carb - I may do some cardio but I also might take it off. Now I am on mon, tues, thurs and fri, I might take the weds clean off, do a conditioning day on saturday and some light cardio sunday morning. We'll see...

Off Road
09-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Seems the re-focus is working. I know buying a new house is stressful and bound to throw you off your game. Nice job getting back in line before it became habbit.

f=ma
09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
training to failure is where its at! lifting wouldnt be fun if you arent right on the cusp of either fainting or dying

diet and training setup looks good. once you have your shell diet, you really wont need the pro touch unless youre doing a pre-contest type of thing imo.. then its really good to have someone objective to guide you in.

Joe Black
09-23-2010, 05:02 AM
OffRoad - My life is a constant getting back on track lol

f=ma - yeah I hear ya, but I seem to friggin fall to pieces when I push myself really hard so I am just trying to take it easy for the time being and get some consistency behind me but I am starting to crank it up now.

Yesterday was pretty good... a nice rest from the gym and I cooked a meal for the gf in the evening - a vegetable-jelfrazi curry (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/curry-recipes/vegetable-jelfrazi) with coconut rice. Didn't really fit into my low carb day, but I did an IF type thing and only ate a protein bar and 5 scoops of nitrean all day and then this in the evening so overall calories were definitely in check.

I'm still hanging in the 173-175lbs range so weight is staying low, so with training 4 times a week I am looking forward to 2 x high, 2 x med and 3 x low with just 1-2 hours cardio. If I can be consistent for a month with that, I can take stock and see where I am at and decide if any changes need to be made.

Med carb day + upper body day. Only thing better than that is upper body + high carb lol

Joe Black
09-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Training session from yesterday

Bench Press - 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 62.5KG and 1 x 10 @ 50KG
DB Row - 3 x 10 (each arm) @ 26KG (no pain, whoop, whoop!)
Push Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
Lat Pull Down to Front - 3 x 10 (can't remember the weight, i wouldn't normally do these)

DONE.

Diet was pretty good - not by the book as the day got a bit hectic, but still good and not far off. I have to get better at hitting my numbers more precisely though.

I am loving the upper and lower body sessions - I get to train more regularly and it's more satisfying than a full body for sure.

Lower body + high carb today!!

Joe Black
09-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh and seeing as it's Friday and I want to go out and eat Japanese tonight, I am going to have a more relaxed schedule and use fitday to ensure my numbers get hit rather than pre-plan all of my days eating.

Numbers to hit are:

PROTEIN – 245g
CARBS – 300g
FAT – 60g
CALORIES - 2700

Focused70
09-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Every day is a high carb day, even when it's not.

If you repeat it often enough, eventually it becomes true. :)

Off Road
09-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Really like the lifting sessions. I can really get behind those routines. Best of luck.

Joe Black
09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I am loving the movement based routines over bodypart splits.

Todays session was a killer!

- Front Squats - 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 72.5G. 1 x 8 @ 65Kg, 1 x 10 @ 50KG (this was unusually hard!)
- Elevated Single Leg Split Squats - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 14KG DBS
- Hip Thrusts - 3 x 10 @ 80Kg (felt kinda wierd doing these in the commercial gym, especially as some girl was on the bench next to me lol
- Step Ups - 3 x 10 (each leg) @ 20KG DBS
- Bar Rollouts - 1 x 8, 2 x 6
- Lying leg raises - 2 x 8

Need to smash an conditioning session tomorrow, keep it reasonably clean over the weekend and this week will be my most consistent week in about 3 months!!!

tomv
09-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Havent checked in in a while mate, gimme a quick update:

How's strength?
How's weight?
How's the elbow?

Joe Black
09-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Havent checked in in a while mate, gimme a quick update:

How's strength?
How's weight?
How's the elbow?

Hey buddy!

Strength is good - still not very strong lol, but progression is virtually clockwork and I'm just trying to be patient with the weight increases as I don't want to repeat past mistakes by getting inured by ramping up the weight to quickly.

Right now I am sticking to:

Week 1 - 3 x 8-10 on each exercise
Week 2 - 4 x 8-10 on each exercise
Week 3 - 3 x 6 (weight goes up)
Week 4 - 2 x 6 (same weight for week 3 - back off on volume)

Then you repeat, hopefully using the increased weight for week one.

So far this seems to be a pretty good rate for me to progress.

bench is at 62.5Kg for 10 reps, front squat is 72.5Kg for 8 and deadlift 80KG for 8. Kinda sucky, but I got more in the tank and I just gotta keep my head down and be patient - It'll all about how strong and how good I look in 2 years.

Weight is really good - only 3-4 lbs heavier than when i dieted, so i can probably relax the food soon. Right now I am on a cautious carb rotation plan with a bit of cardio, but in 3-4 weeks I might increase the food a bit and decrease acivity just to get things moving quicker. One thing I am aware of though is I want to cut for summer 2011 and I don't want it to be a hell of a job, so I am trying to keep reasonably lean. probably about 14-15% right now.

Elbow is cauing me less gip and i am back on pulling movements, just not to failure yet :)

Cheers for checking in, how is it all going with you?

f=ma
09-25-2010, 06:22 AM
i know its prob not what you want to hear, but have you considered something like SS? linear would do you very well

Joe Black
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I might try SS in the future, for now though I'm kinda happy to keep to my trainers program... I'll definately do a bit of reading up on SS though.. I wanna try SS, HCT-12 and DC at some point.

Ok, today wasn't too shabby.

Medium carb 100% and a decent training session. Volume went up this week..

Incline DB press - 2 x 10 @ 22.5KG DBS, 2 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
Barbell Row - 3 x 10 @ 55KG, 1 x 8 @ @ 55KG
Floor Press - 4 x 8 @ 55KG (or maybe 52kg?)
Assisted Chin Ups - 3 x 8, 1 x 6 @ blue band (still taking it easy)

Gonna be taking the day off training and my normal eating plan tomorrow as I have to travel to London to see some friends, but will be back on it Weds.

Overall, I'm happy with how everthing is going - need to tighten up diet for sure but am gaining strength each session, so I am happy with that!

f=ma
09-27-2010, 06:07 PM
dont fix it if it isnt broken :)

Joe Black
10-01-2010, 03:44 AM
yep, yep - for now I am gonna keep soldiering on with the upper/lower system. I'm feeling the work capacity is about right and slowly but surely my strength is gong up.

Yesterdays session was rubbish, rubbish, rubbish. I was in a foul mood (argued with the girl, had some other frustrating things going on) and I am generally not someone who can channel that into aggression for my sessions. I tend to perform better when I am feeling great and nothing is bubbling over in my mind.

So... it was more of a tick that session off session, but at least I got in there and did it.

Looked like this:

DB Row - 4 x 8 @ 25KG DB - (easy peasy and hardly any pain)
Bench Press - 1 x 8 @ 62.5KG, 2 x 6 @ 62.5KG, 1 x 6 @ 60KG (arrghh)
Close Grip Chin ups - 1 x 8, 3 x 6 @ blue band)
Push Press - 4 x 6 @ 25KG DBS

Felt good to get in and do it, but my mind just wasn't in it :(

Today is gonna be tough. Its high volume leg day!

tomv
10-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Happens to the best of us mate.
Get in, tick off the boxes and then get on with life.

Joe Black
10-04-2010, 04:11 AM
yeah, I hear you Tom.

I've been finding it real tough lately to keep diet on track and get in the right zone for the sessions. In fact I went into the gym on Friday to do the leg session, warmed up and then after a warm up set of squats decided to not do the session. I was light headed, sweating and felt so weak/crappy and everything just didn't really feel right. I don't know if it was really the right thing to do, but I just felt like it wasn't worth pushing through.

The way I am feeling isn't limited to training, its like that in virtually all areas of my life right now.. Work, relationships - you name it, I just feel unmotivated and am leaning towards procrastinating when its time to get stuff done.

However I am determined to make this week MUCH better. I sat down last night and planned out some stuff to do which would make the week a successful one on both the personal and work front.

I think I am going to stop training at the private facility for a bit too. Its a great place, but my training partner runs the gym and always seems kinda distracted with stuff going on and I'm one of those guys that needs to get in, talk to no one and just get stuff done and get out. So I will probably wrap things up this week and train exclusively at the commercial gym. It's got good equipment and I don't know many people so it's easy to whack on the headphones and just crank through it.

This weeks goals for training.

4 x really good weights sessions - 2 x upper, 2 x lower
1 x conditioning workout (45min)
1 x cardio (30min)

I want my diet to be 90% for the next 7 days. I have enough food for today and I will cook up 6 days worth tomorrow to keep me on track.

And lots of mobility stuff, before sessions and in the evening.

Need to stop moaning and just start posting some good updates with better numbers...

Off Road
10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
You may even consider dropping to three days a week until that drive and motivation comes back. I think three days a week is better anyways, but that's besides the point. I know I tend to burn out a bit on 4 day routines, and it carries over to all parts of my life. Just a thought. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

f=ma
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
agrd on training alone. training with people pisses me off and drags things out

if someone wants to come lift with me i tell them in advance:
1. no talking
2. bring headphones

Mark!
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm the same way with training. If I go in, I'll throw the deuce up to some guys I know, just a quick wave that's it, no talking or anything. Earphones get put in before I enter the gym, and I start my workout. There have been a few times while just doing accessory work or on an off day, I'll go in and BS around for a few minutes, but usually I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself about things while working out. If someone comes to the house, I tell them this is what I'll be doing, if you want to do more, work it in, don't interfere, if you want to do less, just let me know and I'll skip you that set. A few guys have come over to train, but they always sit out sets and usually don't end up coming back. The concept a lot of people have about training is different from mine I guess, I go intense and balls to the wall most of the time. Oh well.

It's a new week Daniel, make it happen bro.

Joe Black
10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I had a good chat to my training partner today and told him that I am gonna train by myself at the commercial gym from now on. He was cool with it. Feel kinda bad because I do like him and like training with him, but I just feel I need to switch up the environment a bit, pick up the focus and also save me some $ too.

todays session was ok, but again it felt a little flat and I think with a few exercises switched and some loud eminem in my ears, I'll do better.

Today's session looked like this:

Jump Shrug - 4 x 4 @ 60Kg (going to switch this exercise)
Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 90KG
Reverse Lunges - 3 x 8 @ 45KG
Overhead Squat - 3 x 8 @ 30KG
Leg Raises 2 x 8

I also nailed a med carb day 100% today which felt good. Feels like the last time I did that was too long ago.

I am also gonna start posting actual meals/foods from tomorrow to keep myself more accountable and gonna jigg the routine around a bit too tonight. It'll mostly be the same, just a few exercises here or there.

Off Road
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Shaking things up can spark new motivation.

teeroy
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
yeah, I hear you Tom.

I've been finding it real tough lately to keep diet on track and get in the right zone for the sessions. In fact I went into the gym on Friday to do the leg session, warmed up and then after a warm up set of squats decided to not do the session. I was light headed, sweating and felt so weak/crappy and everything just didn't really feel right. I don't know if it was really the right thing to do, but I just felt like it wasn't worth pushing through.

I've had this happen many times when working out in the late afternoon and/or evening. The further the day goes on the more likely I am to a) talk myself out of it or tell myself I'll do it tomorrow or b) get lightheaded on squat or DL days. I can usually overcome "a" when it happens and tell myself to get my lazy butt out there and get my workout done. But it sucks when "b" happens because it feels unsafe. To overcome both of these I now get my butt out of bed at 5:30 and work out first thing in the morning. I really like it because I feel fresh, I never get lightheaded, and the endorphin rush seems to put me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

By the way, I've read a number of your posts to others about picking a single goal and sticking with it. I was doing the "I want to get big and strong AND lose weight" thing and going sideways for years. I've now decided to focus on losing weight first and then go for big and strong and have lost 11lbs in the last three weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!

f=ma
10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
if you can, you should harness that anger. if i could channel all my discontent into lifting..... i probably wouldnt lift at all!

regardless, the plan looks good man despite setbacks that may occur from time to time. focus over the long run will carry you

Joe Black
10-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I've had this happen many times when working out in the late afternoon and/or evening. The further the day goes on the more likely I am to a) talk myself out of it or tell myself I'll do it tomorrow or b) get lightheaded on squat or DL days. I can usually overcome "a" when it happens and tell myself to get my lazy butt out there and get my workout done. But it sucks when "b" happens because it feels unsafe. To overcome both of these I now get my butt out of bed at 5:30 and work out first thing in the morning. I really like it because I feel fresh, I never get lightheaded, and the endorphin rush seems to put me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

By the way, I've read a number of your posts to others about picking a single goal and sticking with it. I was doing the "I want to get big and strong AND lose weight" thing and going sideways for years. I've now decided to focus on losing weight first and then go for big and strong and have lost 11lbs in the last three weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hey teeroy, good to see you in here :)

I hear you on the leaving things later in the day thing. Not only am I less likely to actually get my ass in the gym in the first place, but yeah depending on the day at work I can feel super tired.

Maybe I need to join the AM CRU! lol

Picking one goal is so, so, so important.. Unless you are a genetic freak it takes a real clear goal/focus and massive consistency around a well developed plan to make good progress.

11lbs in 3 weeks is awesome... Losing weight/fat is addictive - as soon as you notice yourself looking better it spurs you on further to get lean!

Joe Black
10-06-2010, 02:06 AM
The other thing I was considering changing was taking Results.

Fitting it into my daily macros is a bit of a pain in the ass because on low and medium carb days (hell even high to a degree) it means I am consuming too many liquid carbs which i think adds to me feeling a bit light headed at times.

I think I will just take it on top of my foods (so essentially another 200 calories per day) and just see how things pan out.

Joe Black
10-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Ok, a very slightly revised routine.. I basically ditched jump shrug and put in leg press instead. I also added in Calf Raises as an extra exercise to Fridays session.

Upper/Lower Split

• Mon – Upper Body A
• Tues – Lower Body A
• Weds – Off/Cardio
• Thurs – Upper Body B
• Fri – Lower Body B
• Sat – Conditioning
• Sun – Off/Cardio

4-Week Progression Cycle

• Week 1 – 3 x 8-10 (normal)
• Week 2 – 4 x 8-10 (volume)
• Week 3 – 3 x 6 (up weight)
• Week 4 – 2 x 6 (back off)

Sessions

Mon – Upper Body A

• D/B Inc Bench
• B/B Bent Over Row
• B/B Floor Press
• Chin Ups
• Bar Roll out (Abs)

Tues – Lower Body A

• Rom. Deadlift
• Rev. Lunge
• O/H Squat
• Leg Press
• Leg Curls

Thurs – Upper Body B

• 1 Arm D/B Row
• B/B Bench Press
• Wide Grip Pull Ups
• D/B Push Press
• Leg Raises (Abs)

Fri – Lower Body B

• Front Squat
• Elevated D/B Split Squat
• B/B Hip Thrust
• D/B Step Up
• Calf Raises

So, 4 good weights sessions and 1 good conditioning session at a minimum per week - days off but flexible if I want to do some extra cardio on those days.

Gonna do a bit of re-jigging of my diet to take into account having Results on top of my actual numbers but I am going to be shooting for 2 high, 2 medium and 3 low and keeping as consistent as I can.

Off Road
10-06-2010, 07:16 AM
The exercises look solid. Good luck.

Joe Black
10-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Well, I hit the commercial gym yesterday for my first session and it was AWESOME. I dunno, something about it being a change of environment, music in the headphones, the timing of the workout etc. I was feeling a bit crappy yesterday afternoon too, so I thought it might affect me but actually I was stronger than expected.

Session looked like this:

DB Rows - 3 x 8 @ 28KG DB's (should have been doing 6 reps, but I am still taking it a bit easy with the elbow)

Bench Press - 1 x 10 @ 65KG, 1 x 8 @ 67.5KG, 1 x 6 @ 67.5KG (65Kg was an increase as it was, but I smashed out 10 good reps so I bumped it up)

Wide Grip Pull Ups - 1 x 6, 1 x 4, 1 x 3 (I ordered some resistance bands yesterday to help me out next week)

DB Push Press - 1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS, 2 x 6 @ 28KG DBs (28KG's is a PR for me!)

Leg Raises on dip machine - 2 x 15
Side Planks - 2 x 20 secs each side

My diet was pretty good too. It was a high carb day, but I definitely went off macros/overall calories a touch as I went out with some friends to a restaurant and then the cinema, but i the grand scheme of things I didn't stray too badly from the plan.

50g x Quaker Oat Packs
300ml half fat milk
0.5 x Granola Bar

3 oat cakes
Novus Protein bar

PRE-WORKOUT
1 x Granola Bar
1 serving of Results

POST-WORKOUT

Double Chicken Breast
Half Pitta Bread
3 Chicken Wings

Small Popcorn
Lots of diet coke

I also had a good thought yesterday. I am going to switch my training so that I train on a Saturday and therefore Saturday can my a high carb day which will allow me to stick to my diet better every week seeing as right now Saturdays and Sundays are low carb days and they always are the biggest temptation. That means I can eat some decent food on Saturday and then just be good on a Sunday which is definitely more manageable.

Medium carb and leg day today - looking forward to it!

Off Road
10-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Good to see the old motivation back. Nice job making the necissary adjustments and smashing it.

Joe Black
10-11-2010, 04:00 AM
This weekend was awesome, I really got my **** together.

My diet was pretty good. More relaxed than the week but on Saturday I properly controlled my calories and on Sunday I ate very little during the day to compensate for an evening meal at a restaurant with my family.

Switching my upper body B session to Saturday was a smart move though so I can eat more.

I am going to start using fit day to ensure my calories on weekends stay where they should be as I tend to be more relaxed about food choices/timings.

Saturday looked like this - Sat Oct 09, 2010 (http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Cloughie&Year=2010&Month=9&Day=9)

Calories were spot on, fat a little high and protein a little low for a high carb day, but hey its a Saturday :)

Sunday I didn't track anything (I will start to) because I was eating out, but it looked like this:

Breakfast- 2 eggs scrambled on 2 slices of wholemeal toast
Lunch - Novus Protein bar
Evening Meal - Duck Dumplings, Rib Eye Steak, Potatoes, Salad and 2 glasses od red wine - YUM!

Training was were I really did well and enjoyed things.

Saturday was my lower body b session and looked like this:

Front Squat - 3 x 6 @ 70KG (reasonably tough, being careful not to push things too far with squat as this causes me lower back issues)

Single Leg Elevated Squat - 2 x 6 @ 16KG DB's, 1 x 6 @ 16KG DBS (right leg) and 1 x 6 @ 14KG DB's (left leg) (Also on the 2 x 6 @ 16KGS, I had to get the 6 reps on my left leg in 3 batches of 2 as it was too tough)

Bar Thrusts - 3 x 6 @ 85KG

Step ups - 3 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 28KG DBS

Sunday was my best day though. I got my ass up at 8am and got to the gym and put in a VERY solid effort for a conditioning circuit.

Check it out

Round 1 x 4 (no rest in-between sets, about 2 mins in-between each round)

Push Press x 12 @ 20KG DBS
Push Up to Star Jump x 12
Step Ups x 12 (6 each leg) @ 20KG DBS

Round 2 x 4 (no rest in-between sets, about 2 mins in-between each round)

Goblet Squat x 12 @ 20KG DB
Skip x 120 skips
Turkish Get Ups x 6 (3 each side) @ 20KG DB

Round 3 x 3 (no rest in-between sets, about 2 mins in-between each round)

Punch bag x 1 min
One Leg Romanian Deadlift @ 12KG Kettle Bells (one in each hand)
Row 1 min @ 1:45/500M

After this I was both sweaty and my shoulders in particular were FRIED.

So, all in all a very awesome weekend.

Plan this week is:

4 x weight sessions - 2 upper, 2 lower (back off week so 2 x 6 on each exercises)
1 hour of cardio
1 x conditioning workout

Also, because its a back off week, I am going to sip any high carb days and do 4 x medium carb and 3 x low. This should help lean me out a touch and I'll save the calories for the big 3 weeks of volume and going up a weight. Actually if I can keep one week out of 4 REALLY clean and no highs, I can afford a bit of slip in the other 3.

Motivation is 11/10 right now!

Off Road
10-11-2010, 06:55 AM
I like the curcuits, the squats, and the new attitude. Keep it up.

Joe Black
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Why thank you :)

Yesterday was pretty solid. Low carb and some cardio was on the agenda and other than a bit of slippage on the diet towards the end of the day, I was happy with it.

Diet looked like this:

1 x granola bar
3g fish oils

1 x Granola Bar
3g fish oils

Chicken Breast (150g)
Up to 2 cups Veg

Chicken Breast (150g)
Up to 2 cups Veg

1/2 Quiche
Vegetables

I ended up skipping a Nitrean meal and had quiche instead of lean chicken, but overall calories were probably a touch lower so its all good, still a good clean, low calorie day.

Cardio was straight forward :

Bike - 10 min
Cross Trainer - 10 min
Skip/Run - 10 min

Still feeling sore from the weekends leg and circuit session, but game for a back off upper body later on!

f=ma
10-12-2010, 06:11 PM
diet looks good daniel.

have to applaud the balance. im so selfish, i would never sacrifice my goals for someone else

Joe Black
10-13-2010, 01:59 AM
diet looks good daniel.

have to applaud the balance. im so selfish, i would never sacrifice my goals for someone else

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's balance or a lack of discipline. For me, finding that fine line is goddamn hard. As soon as I find it, I step over it lol.

But the more and more I do this, the more I realize that balance is crucial. I'm not a competitive bodybuilder and when I block out everything and be 100% consistent I am miserable and miss out on enjoying experiences with friends and family and at the end of the day life is to be enjoyed right?

Also, when I cut next summer, I'll really block things out and be very selfish and unsociable, but I know it will just be for a set period of time. if you're gonna relax and enjoy things a little, it may as well be the offseason huh?

Right now the balance feels good, just gotta hope I can keep it in check.

Joe Black
10-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Things are definitely rocking right now, I am feeling great about everything. I'm loving working out right now, I'm being pretty consistent, I'm being really productive on the work front and I've been doing some cool stuff with friends and family recently.

On the work front, I've made a massive breakthrough. I've basically got a nice little routine/schedule down which enables me to be REALLY productive. Most importantly, I have cut down distractions/procrastinating tasks.

I'm starting the day very early now. I get up at 6am, drink some tea, move about a bit to wake up and then by about 6:30am I am ready to get going.

I spend about 30-60 mins getting the things out of the way that distract me normally (or that I do to put off real work). Email, Facebook, Forums, Google Reader etc.. But then everything goes and from 730ish onwards I plan a really good day and just get on with the doing without checking any emails, facebook etc.

I might have a sneak for 15 min or so at lunch, but lunch is mainly a good walk with the dog and then I am back at it again. I am dong more in four hours than I would have done in two days before so its feeling great. And I still get to do forums/facebook/Google Reader/personal emails etc, but I just have a controlled time to do them and then they get switched off.

It's an off week this week and its a bit frustrating for me to be on 'tick over' which is actually a good indicator that I am highly motivated and enjoying my training right now!

Session looked like this:

Incline DB Press - 2 x 6 @ 24KG DBS
Barbell Row - 2 x 6 @ 65KG
Floor Press - 2 x 6 @ 60KG
Hammer Machine Pull Downs - 2 x 6 @ 60KG
Bar Roll Outs - 2 x 8
Cardio - 10 mins (cross trainer)

Diet was a bit here or there. It was a medium carb day and I did well un until I trained, then I skipped post workout and had my carbs with my evening meal and then had 2 glasses of red wine with a friend as we watched some football in a pub.

So it looked like this:

2 x shredded wheat
100ml s/s milk

1 x Novus Protein bar
1/2 scoop of Nitrean

Chicken Breast (150g)
1 cup Veg
3g fish oils

Chicken Breast (150g)
1 cup Veg
3g fish oils

2 pork sausages
400g potatoes
lots of veg

2 glasses of wine.

So probably a touch low on protein, a little high on fat and the 2 glasses of wine but overall considering I am not having any high carb days this week I reckon it was a good day for a medium carb day - calories would have been about on target.

Ella and I are going round one of her friends on Saturday for a meal and I am going to relax - not go crazy but not stress about what I am eating/drinking so I need to really focus on today through to Friday being PERFECT and to hit 2:00 cardio for Friday which should be pretty easy seeing as I am on 40mins already. Then I can smash a circuit on Saturday, eat little during the day and have that evening meal and I reckon with a clean Sunday that will be a SOLID week.

I'm weighing 178 right now which is pretty decent and I definitely feel the renewed motivation and consistency on the diet has leaned me up a touch. Now I just have to really focus on getting stronger and keeping the diet good and I should be able to pack on some lean size.

A bit of a ramble today, sorry about that :)

Off Road
10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Rable away...it's your journal :)
I like your plan with Facebook and such. I could probably stand to put myself on a schedule too. I spend a lot of time on THIS forum.
Workouts are looking good. Really like the exercises you've chosen and the way it's set up. Keep pushing.

Coke
10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Awesome to hear things are going so well for you Dan, nice to know you are going to the next level!!

Joe Black
10-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Rable away...it's your journal :)
I like your plan with Facebook and such. I could probably stand to put myself on a schedule too. I spend a lot of time on THIS forum.
Workouts are looking good. Really like the exercises you've chosen and the way it's set up. Keep pushing.

Don't spend less time on this forum, we need you!

To be honest I am spending less time overall, but not much. I just set aside certain times to do that stuff and when I am finished, I cut it out and its making me a ton more productive.

Yeah, I figured this routine was up your street - just basic, compound movements and trying to get strong!

Joe Black
10-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Awesome to hear things are going so well for you Dan, nice to know you are going to the next level!!

Cheers for dropping in buddy, how ya doing?

Joe Black
10-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Alrighty, yesterday was pretty solid although I cannot wait to get this back off week out of the way and get back to more volume and slightly higher reps! I have such a temptation to do more sets but I keep reminding myself that whilst this might be a lower way to progress in the short term, its definitely a better strategy for long term success as I am not getting injured.

Yesterdays session looked looked like this:

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 6 @ 90KG
Reverse Lunge - 2 x 6 @ 45KG
Overhead Squat - 2 x 6 @ 20KG
Leg Press - 2 x 6 @ 150KG
Leg Curl - 2 x 8 @ 55KG

Cardio: 15min (5 min bike, 10 min skipping and punchbag)

The overhead squat felt horrible from a form perspective and I wonder if its worth doing. there are a couple of other exercises I am feeling a bit rusty/awkward on form with (reverse lunge, for example) so in a week or so I may book in with the private facility and just get them to take me through a few of the awkward ones.

Not sure what I would replace overhead squat with though... Any ideas?

Diet was pretty good too. Medium carb day and instead of following the meal plans, I just used fitday to keep things in check and ate pretty randomnly. This was because I have been a bit lame in preparing meals, which I will get on top of and sort out today.

Fitday calories looked like this though:

2,521 calories (spot on)
Fat - 105g (too high)
Carbs - 167g (about right)
Protein - 212g (too low)

So too low on protein and high on fat, but overall calories were in check so its all good.

Weighed 177 this morning. The plan is to be really consistent with my current diet plan and see how things look at the end of November. If I am not gaining weight, I'll up the calories a bit.

Off Road
10-14-2010, 07:28 AM
I assume you are using the overhead squat as a core builder? I can't do overhead squats worth a darn either, unless I squat to a box. You might try that, for some reason it works for me. One of my favorite variations is an old-timers lifts; squat down with the weight on your shoulders, as you rise up press the weight overhead. Really gets the legs, shoulders, back, and core.

Off Road
10-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Don't spend less time on this forum, we need you!
I'm not going anywhere. This is my gym, and I'm a creature of habit.

Joe Black
10-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah as a core builder, but to be honest it was in the routine by choice of my old trainer so I might ditch it for something more bodybuilding focused.

Actually I could just lose it altogether as that would leave me with four exercises, which is the plan anyway.

Yesterday was a day off for me and it felt great actually to just not go in. I strayed from my low carb a little bit, but will be bang on the medium carb today and will do a bit of cardio to compensate. I'm already at an hour cardio this week though and I have that monster circuit session to do so I don't want to over-do it.

Joe Black
10-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Quick update for Friday. A great session for a back off week actually.

DB Rows - 2 x 8 @ 28KG (felt easy, gonna go up next week)
Bench Press - 1 x 7, 1 x 6 @ 67.5KG (felt strong and really good form)
Pull Ups - 1 x 6, 1 x 5
Push Press - 2 x 6 @ 28KGS (this felt very strong and solid form)

So nothing spectacular to report, but everything felt easy and form was great which means I am progressing because these all felt hard or I was doing less 4 weeks ago.

Joe Black
10-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Super quick update for the weekend.

I ended up skipping LEgs on Saturday (I am such a schmuck), but hit a pretty decent conditioning session on Sunday and the weekend was not bad from a diet perspective, but also not spot on either - need to work on that.

Monday was a bit of a write off - it was an off day anyway, but I strayed on the diet front. Rubbish.

Need to get things back in check for today for my first weights session of the week (upper body), so a 100% high carb and a great session is on the cards!

Joe Black
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Alrighty, with today being high carb + upper body, i have no excuse to get my act together!

I was kinda feeling a bit flat earlier, so I put Blood and Guts on in the background (Dorian Yates) and it perked me up a bit :)

Just came back from the gym and the session felt great.

Incline DB Bench - 1 x 12, 1 x 11, 1 x 10 @ 22KG DBS

** this wasn't too bad, the form was very good and I pretty much trained to failure on al sets. I really want to get up to the 24KG DBS ASAP and the hope is that when I come to my 6 rep week, I can push out some comfortable sets of 24KGS and then just resume with the 24KGS for the higher rep weeks working at a minumum of 8+ reps.. We'll see, i'm not going to rush anything too quickly.

Barbell Row - 2 x 12, 1 x 10 @ 65KG

** this is feeling much more comfortable as a movement, starting to like it!

Floor Press - 1 x 12, 2 x 10 @ 60KG, 1 x 8 @ 50KG

** I reckon 60KG may be a little heavy for me as my back kept wanting to arch, but I still feel the form was acceptable and I just need to keep working at the weight until it becomes easier to do with good form. I threw in an extra lighter set at the end just to get a feel for how I could improve my form with a lighter set and it was easier to control the weight and keep my back against the floor for sure.

Hammer Strength Pull Down - 3 x 12 @ 60KG

** Felt some pain in my elbow and I reckon I could have got 15 reps if I had of wanted to push through it. I booked some soft tissue on Friday and will get back on my rehab exercises, I really don't want to have to lay off pulling movements again.

Barbell Roll Out - 2 x 8

Front Plank - 2 x 30 sec holds

And that was me done!

As for diet, I've alread had 6 meals exactly as planned and now just need to eat a low carb meal and some fish oil tonight, easy peasy. Today looked like this:

Meal 1
50g oats
300ml semi skimmed milk
1 scoop nitrean

Meal 2
Novus Protein Bar
1/2 Granola bar

Meal 3
150 grams Steak (trimmed)
1 cup veg
150g uncle bens mexican rice

Meal 4
1 x granola bar
1.5 scoops Nitrean

Meal 5 (pre workout)
Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (ran out of weetabix!)
200ml semi skimmed milk
1.5 scoop Nitrean
1 serving results

Meal 6 (post workout)
Opticen

Meal 7
I'll have some lean minced beef with some veg tonight + 5g fish oil.

DONE!

borracho
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
To be honest I am spending less time overall, but not much. I just set aside certain times to do that stuff and when I am finished, I cut it out and its making me a ton more productive.

I could stand to do the same..I spend waaay too much time looking for distractions rather than getting **** done.

Good to see things are going well for you in here bud! keep up the positive attitude and effort.

Joe Black
10-21-2010, 12:05 AM
I could stand to do the same..I spend waaay too much time looking for distractions rather than getting **** done.

Good to see things are going well for you in here bud! keep up the positive attitude and effort.

Cheers matey, yep everything is going quite well at the moment!

Joe Black
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Man I am loving getting back into the swing of things with 3 sets per exercise and 8-10 reps to failure (ish). That back of week of 2 x 6 was soooo boring!

Not a bad session yesterday, looked like this:

20 min stretch/dynamic warm up

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 10 @ 85KG

** I reckon I could have done 90/95, but I was feeling creaky as hell and had a bit of an ache in my lower back so kept it at 85KG. I'll do the same next week for the 4 sets and then go heavy for the week I increase the weight and then I should be able to settle at 90/95 for sets of 10 reps. I'll soon be into the 100 territory.

Reverse Lunge - 3 x 20 (10 each leg)

** A bit wobbly in places, but on the whole some solid sets. Still finding it hard to sit back with my left leg extended backwards due to my foot issue, but its getting better every workout.

Leg Press - 3 x 12 @ 150KG

** Still getting used to the weight here. Probably could have cranked out 175 to be honest. Expect this to go up nicely over the next few months.

Leg Curl - 3 x 12 @ 55KG

** Not much to say, its just leg curl lol.

Medium carb day was 100% which was gooooooooood.

Now just gotta get through a low carb today - urrghhh.

Joe Black
10-23-2010, 11:29 AM
This week is going fantastic so far - I've loved each training session.

I forgot to post Thursdays session, so here it is from memory.

Upper Body B

Bench Press - 1 x 9 @ 67.5KG, 1 x 8 @ 67.5KG, 1 x 6 @ 67.5Kg, 1 x 8 @ 60KG

I did an extra set here as the last set on 67.5KG went a bit low on the reps. Overall though not a bad go at things given I couldn't even move 60KG 8 weeks ago. 70KG for a strong 6 reps is def on the cards the week after next.

Pull Ups - 6, 5, 3 & then 4 reps as 2, 1, 1.

I really need to get some bands to help me get into the 10-12 rep area. I have some woody ones on order.

Push Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 7 @ 28KG DBS, 1 x 10 @ 26KG DBS

Push press is going really well, a good pr with 28KGS and I reckon 30KGS are on the card when I next shift up the weights.

Lying Tricep Extensions - 1 x 15 @ 10KG DBS, 1 x 6 @ 12KG DBS, 1 x 8 @ 10KG DBS.

Slightly different session as I skipped DB Rows at the beginning because I got some soft tissue on my elbow and it was a bit sore.

Lower Body B

Loved this session today.

Front Squats - 1 x 10 @ 60KG, 3 x 10 @ 65Kg.

I experimented with a narrower stance and it felt much better actually.

Elevated Single Leg Split Squats - 3 x 10 (each leg) @ 14KG DBS

Had to do my 10 reps on my left leg in 2 rounds for the sets I started on my right leg, but overall everythig felt strong!

Hip Thrusts - 3 x 10 @ 80KG

Step Ups - 3 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 20KG DBS

DONE.

Diet has been a bit here or there the last two days, but still reasoanbly clean and calories in check for sure. I def need to get back to the proper meal plans though as I have been a bit slack and have been using fitday to get by, but its easier to get into bad habits.

Joe Black
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
SO, Sunday was horribleASo the weekend was horrible for diet - I pretty much ate what I wanted to which was a bit stupid...

So I figured I'd start the week on a good foot and really put in the effort today.

I've nailed a medium carb day to the T and had an awesome workout. I'm taking the girl to the New Forest (bout 2 hours from where we live) on Weds night so Weds and Thursday will pretty much be spent eating what I want (within reason) and probably not a workout, so I need to make the days around it COUNT.

Here was todays workout - it took 1:40!

UPPER BODY A:

Incline DB Press - 1 x 13, 1 x 12, 2 x 10 @ 22KG DBS

BB Rows - 2 x 12, 1 x 11, 1 x 10 @ 65KG

Floor Press - 2 x 12, 2 x 10 @ 60KG

Front Pull Down (Hammer Strength) - 2 x 12 @ 60KG, 1 x 9 @ 60LG, 1 x 16 @ 40KG

Ab Roll out - 3 x 8

** All exercises went up a few reps and felt easier on the whole. Looking forward to ramping the weight up next week and working at 6 reps.

CIRCUIT

4 rounds - no rest in between sets - 2-3 min rest in-between each round.

Clean and Press with 20KG Tube type thing - 15 reps
Row - 1 min @ 1:50/500M
Turkish Get Ups - 1 x 3 (each side)

And that was me done!

I am gonna stick a bit of a circuit at the end of each weights workout this week (aswell as doing a separate circuit) to take into account a lame weekend on the diet front and missing my circuit too.

Legs + lower body circuit tomorrow :(

Off Road
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Love seeing those front squats in there. Killer leg routine.

borracho
10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I effed up my diet pretty badly too...dont know how bad cause I was a wee bit too tipsy but all I know is I was drinking and eating a lot more than I planned. But had a good weekend anyway. Work outs are lookin good bud!! The pressing is getting me jealous...its been close to two months with no pressing for me...soon enough!!

Joe Black
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Love seeing those front squats in there. Killer leg routine.

Yeah that session was great - 4 sets of 10 reps on squats was tough!

Joe Black
10-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I effed up my diet pretty badly too...dont know how bad cause I was a wee bit too tipsy but all I know is I was drinking and eating a lot more than I planned. But had a good weekend anyway. Work outs are lookin good bud!! The pressing is getting me jealous...its been close to two months with no pressing for me...soon enough!!

I went a few months with no pulling movements so I know how you feel man.

When you screw up, the key is to just stop as soon as you can I think and not beat yourself up about it as that doesn't achieve anything. The quicker you forget it and get back on the right track, the better if you ask me.

I would say that though, I have 2 days completely off training and eating starting tomorrow :)

Joe Black
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Just dominated a lower body session! Volume was up to 4 sets per exercises and everything felt more comfortable than the 3 sets last week which is good progress and definately sets me up for some nice weight increases next week!

Went like this:

Romanian Deadlift: 4 x 12 @ 85KG (no straps as I forgot them but I held onto each set just fine!)

Reverse Lunge - 4 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 40KG (foot felt good and whilst a bit tough towards the end of the set - still pretty comfortable!)

Leg Press - 4 x 12 @ 150KG

Leg Curl - 4 x 12 @ 55KG

Then I wobbled home :)

Medium carb day NAILED also.

Weds and Thursday are being taken completely off as I take the girl on a 2 day/1 night break - the hotel has a lovely gym though so I will probably sneak in a cardio session... probably.. maybe... :)

Joe Black
10-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Got back from the 1 night break yesterday and it was really good to relax up.. Lots of eating out, chilling in the spa and spending time with the girl - just what the doctor ordered.

jumping on the scales this morning I was a little shocked. I am weighing in at 186 which is not good news. And to be honest with myself I weighed myself as soon as I got back because I can definitely see myself getting a little chubb. I'm trying to be objective as I need to allow myself to put it on a bit as I am trying to gain, but I am definitely not being as consistent with the cardio and diet as I should be.

The weight is probably a few lbs higher given I just pigged out for 2 days, but still its a bit high.

The 2 key things I need to sort out is consistency on the diet and getting 2 hours of cardio in.

So the plan is to really nail this now for the next 2.5 weeks and then review. It's going to be strictly 2 high, 2 med and 4 low days per week and definitely 2 hours of cardio (1 hour met con and 1 hour steady state).

For my back off week I'll have no highs (in about a week and a half) and then I will review where the weight is. I think I can pull this back with just being consistent to the plan, but if I still feel its too much I might cut for a 2 week period. I know some people who throw in 2-4 week cuts every 12 weeks as an actual lean gain strategy. Its not my ideal way of doing things, but lets see.

On the plus side, training is going brilliant - weights are going up and I am LOVING every session.

After all of that, today is an off diet day. I am heading to London to catch up with Nate Green who is on a 1 month European trip so it should be fun. No point in worrying about diet today!

But ON IT from Saturday and I will get in a smashing upper body session today before I go.

Off Road
10-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Glad you had a good trip. Glad to see you aren't over-thinking the extra chubb, just tighten things up like you said. At least you know you're eating enough to grow and get stronger :)

borracho
10-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Weds and Thursday are being taken completely off as I take the girl on a 2 day/1 night break - the hotel has a lovely gym though so I will probably sneak in a cardio session... probably.. maybe... :)

Sneak in a cardio session with the girl in the room... :clown:

And lol @ the wobble home. I love the way I waddle out of the gym after a lower session.

Joe Black
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Glad you had a good trip. Glad to see you aren't over-thinking the extra chubb, just tighten things up like you said. At least you know you're eating enough to grow and get stronger :)

Yeah I'm not stressing about it too much but I definately need to reign things in a little and get more consistent or I risk moving slowly to old habits/looks.

Joe Black
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Sneak in a cardio session with the girl in the room... :clown:

And lol @ the wobble home. I love the way I waddle out of the gym after a lower session.

ha ha, I'd have to go all out to burn as many calories as I can in 3 min lol (joke!)

Yeah, our gym has stairs you have to go down from the gym to the changing rooms - always a bit difficult!

Joe Black
11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Ok, I am officially a loser. Well, thats a bit harsh, but kinda true lol.

I went out with Nate and a few friends on Friday night and out came the shots of sambuca and plenty of beer, rum and whisky.. Ended up getting home at about 4am lol. Felt like crap the next day and didn't train Sat, Sun or Mon! :eek: So I basically missed 2 of my weights sessions and ate like an idiot of course.

But hey, it was fun. :)

Back on it today with a high carb and an Upper A session. I am going to repeat the 4 set, increased volume week this week due to me feeling pretty fresh and also only dong half of it the week before.

I just got done with doing it and it looked like this:

Incline DB Press - 1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 9, 1 x 8 @ 22KG DBS

** Not bad, but a bit down from last week

BB Rows - 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 6/4 @ 65KG, 1 x 12 @ 50KG

** Lost my straps so my grip was failing on me.

Floor Press - 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 60KG, 1 x 12 @ 50KG

** Not the best, but lower than last week

Pull Down - 1 x 12, 1 x 12, 1 x 9, 1 x 9 60KG

** This felt decent

Bar Roll out - 3 x 8

Front planks - 2 x 30 sec

I kinda grinded this out as I am still feeling a bit tired and a bit sniffly (goddamn alcohol) but I should be back on top of things by tomorrow.

High Carb day is 100% hit as we speak and I am crashing in about an hour for an early night so thats all good.

Looking forward to a medium carb, lower body day tomorrow. Need to realy fight to match last weeks numbers at least and shake off this crappy feeling.

tomv
11-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Life is life mate... Enjoy it while you can!

Joe Black
11-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Life is life mate... Enjoy it while you can!

yeah, just how it goes :) I'm not a pro bodybuilder, so along as I get back on it and stuff like this is only now and again I'll be fiiiiiine :)

Joe Black
11-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Had a really good leg session on Weds, man it beat the crap out of me and I was sweating for fun!

Romanian Deadlift: 4 x 12 @ 85KG

Reverse Lunge - 4 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 40KG

Leg Press - 4 x 10 @ 150KG

Leg Curl - 4 x 12 @ 55KG

Pretty much the same as i did last week seeing as I am repeating this week, but I am looking forward to increasing the weight and going for some strong 6 rep sets next week.

High carb day was 100%.

I took Thursday off and ate somewhere in the middle of low and med carb which wasn't too shabby.

Can;t wait to hit upper body b today... BENCH!

Off Road
11-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Lots of volume on that leg workout. That had to be tough. Nice work Daniel.

borracho
11-05-2010, 08:08 AM
.....plenty of beer, rum and whisky.. Ended up getting home at about 4am lol. Felt like crap the next day and didn't train Sat, Sun or Mon! :eek: So I basically missed 2 of my weights sessions and ate like an idiot of course.
:clap:

Sounds about like my weekend a couple weeks back...entirely too much crown and food. but, it was fun..from what I can remember. :clown:

Joe Black
11-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Damn my workout sucked yesterday.

I just found myself getting worked up about a few things and getting in a real bad mood and that in turn made me feel crappy and tired and stressed.

I even ditched the last exercise and just got out of there before I smacked something or someone lol

DB Rows - 4 x 12 @ 28KG DBS

Bench Press - 1 x 12 @ 67.5KG, 1 x 8 @ 67.5Kg, 1 x 6 @ 67.5Kg, 1 x 10 @ 60KG

* bench sucked, I was really feeling pissed off at this point and it was effecting me.

Pull Ups - Blue Band x 12, 10, 6, 5

And home, in a big ole mood.

Feeling better today, gonna smash lower body. Front squats... :)

Joe Black
11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Mixed session on Saturday for an overall mixed week I think.

I got a tweak on my left knee about half the way into my last set of squats and I quite rightly racked it at that point and went onto the next exercise. I felt it a little in split squats and then also in step ups so I ditched the step ups entirely in the end and cut the workout short.

Lesson I'll take from it is I need to take it easy on the lower body. I said I would do this and have kinda slipped back to training to failure and going at it pretty hard which is a bit dangerous for me. I just have to suck it up and admit that I'll always b one of these people who are going to struggle when going heavy on legs and the risk of injury is higher than most due to very tight hips, hamstrings, calves and weak ankles. So I have to be clever with this **** and train a few reps shy of failure as to not compromise form.

Also, I need to up the mobility and definately go in hard on the mobility on ym back off week. I have been a bit lazy recently.

Anyway, enough of me whinging, here is the workout.

5 min treadmill (warm up)

20 min warm up (dynamic and static stretching)

Front Squats - 3 x 10 @ 65KG, 1 x 5 @ 65KG. (could have based out 10, but I got a tweak on my left knee)

Elevated Split Squat - I don't have the exact numbers here but I did 4 prett solid sets with 14KG DBS. I am probably a week away from being able to do 4 sets of 10 reps on each leg. I'll be able to crank out 6 reps on 16KGs next week I reckon and given that I struggled with 16KGS (had to do 2/2/2 4 weeks ago) thats not bad progression.

Bar Thrusts - 4 x 10 @ 80KG - these look rather odd and get a couple of looks but I don't care. I can definately feel my glute and hamstring drive getting stronger which will translate through into squat surely.

Step Ups - left knee was hurting from rep 1, so I just ditched it and went home.

I am gonna rest up today instead of my met con session as it's my birthday :) Probably a bit of clothes shopping and then dinner with family in the evening. Should be a nice relaxing day!

I NEED TO SORT OUT MY FRIGGING DIET FROM MONDAY. I am going to Munich for the weekend at the end of the month so the goal is to be spot on through to that and then I'll feel good about going away and letting loose with some friends. I've just lost my way a little on the diet front and gotta get a bit of discipline back.

Oh, bought a kindle yesterday too - anyone have on and what do you think of it?

Off Road
11-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Happy Birthday Daniel.
Probably a smart move cutting the session short. No reason to risk an injury. There are more days to come.

borracho
11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I just found myself getting worked up about a few things and getting in a real bad mood and that in turn made me feel crappy and tired and stressed.

Happens all the time to me..luckily the gym I train at hardly gets used so I can usually focus my anger at the weights.

And my mother has a kindle..she seems to love it. Enjoy and happy bday!

Joe Black
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I got my kindle today actually and it seems pretty neat - basic in design and functionality but stripped back to be good at one thing and thats to read books :)

Just got done from my first session of the week and it felt great to go slightly lower volume, lower reps. I was surprised at how comfortable some of the weights I estimated felt!

UPPER BODY A

Incline DB Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 26KG DBS

Barbell Rows - 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 75KG

Floor Press - 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 65KG

Front Pull Down - 3 x 8 @ 70KG

Bar Roll Outs - 2 x 8, 1 x 6

Smashed a high carb day 100% too - wohoo.

Feeling good right now.

Joe Black
11-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Yesterdays Lower Body A session.

Romanian Deadlift - 1 x 8 @ 95KG, 3 x 6 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunges - 3 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 50KG

Leg Press - 3 x 8 @ 170KG

Leg Curl - 1 x 12 @ 65KG, 3 x 6 @ 75KG (I think.... need to check this)

Overall a nice session and it was nice to up the weights a bit and shoot for the 6-8 rep range. And to be fair, I could have gone in harder but I am still being patient with lower body progression.

Slipped on the diet towards the end of the day, but not too bad.. somewhere in the middle of med and high carb.

Today is LOW CARB and I am gonna get my ass in and do some cardio!

Joe Black
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Took some pics tonight - not the best quality as I was taking them in front of a mirror, but they're not too bad.

I wasn't going to post them, but I could really use the accountability factor.

I'm weighing in at 182 (bout 10lbs heavier than the end of August) here and its in the evening, no pump, in fact no training today.

So here goes. Still a lot of work to do but I am definately gaining weight and in general keeping the chubb at bay (ish). Just gotta keep patient, stay consistent (ish) with the diet and keep training simple and hard. Wierd that I have been training (on and off with crappy nutrition) for nearly 8 years, yet it feels like I am just starting!

Off Road
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Noticable increase over your old pictures Daniel. You are on the right track.

Joe Black
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Cheers John! Still nothing to get excited about, but I am hoping for contiunal improvement as I post more pics between now and summer.

My last 2 sessions have been right on the money. I felt great and my strength is increasing nicely. Really good to train in the 6 rep range too.

UPPER B - FRI

DB Rows - 3 x 8 @ 32KG

Bench Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 4+2 @ 70KG (remember it was only about 8 weeks ago i was pushing a measily 50KG for 5)

Pull Ups - 1 x 6 @ BW, 1 x 8, 1 x 8 @ blue band

Push Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 7, 1 x 6 @ 28 KG DBS

15min cardio (skipping and punch bag)

LOWER B - SAT

Front Squat - 3 x 6 @ 70KG

Elevated Split Squats - 3 x 6 (each leg) @ 16KG DBS

Bar Thrusts - 3 x 8 @ 90KG

Step Ups - 3 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 26KG DBS

Overall 2 pretty strong sessions for me.

Well happy with bench. I was ecpecting to hit maybe 5. I started set 1 determing to keep my form tight. Shoulder width grip, elbows tucked in, set everything before lift off, controlled on the way down and exposive on the way up and bang the first one shot up like nothing and that immediately gave me the confidence to go on and hit 8 reps. I also really concentrated on making sure the bar went up and down as close to parallel as possible. I remember a Dave Tate video a while back where he said most people waste so much energy with the bar moving around, so I tried to keep it in the grove and it really helped.

I was also impressed with push press, 30KG DBS are just round the corner.

The 70KG Squat was also a nice step up and if I am honest I could have cranked out 10+ but I am absolutely not going to fall into the same trap as I always have and go to failure and screw myself over. patience is key.

Spit Squats I was also pleased with. No stopping and started, 6 reps on each leg from beginning to end, brilliant form.

COME ON!!

Tomorrow is my met con day and I have something good lined up I thought about today. My first circuit is going to be a tough weights oriented one of goblet squat/push press/turkish get up. The next one is going to be more of a cardio one - row, bag work and skipping. Then I will finish with an upper body circuit with an emphasis on tricepos. Maybe narrow grip bench, flyes and tricep extensions.

Feeling good right now.

Kiff
11-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Looking good Daniel keep at it :)

Joe Black
11-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Cheers Kiff!

Absolutely smashed the met con session today:

4 rounds of the below with about 2 min rest in between each round:

Goblet Squat (20KG DB) x 12 reps
Push Press (20KG DBS) x 12 reps
Turkish Get Up (20KG DB) for 6 reps (3 each side)

4 rounds of the below with about 1 min rest in between each round:

Skipping - 200 reps
Row - 1min @ 1:45/500M
Punch Bag - 1 min

3 rounds of the below with about 2/3 min rest in between each round:

Flyes - 1 x 10 @ 16KG DBS
Tricep Extensions - 1 x 10 @ 12KG

DONE

borracho
11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I like that met con session...those Turkish getups are awesome!!

Joe Black
11-15-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't normally do them after push press and my shoulders were seriously getting fried. As soon as I went into the turkish get ups I could feel it quite hard to stablize the DB before rep 1 and this got worse after each round. But I managed it and got through it very well from a capacity point of view.

I love those met con sessions. Your still lifting weights, its interesting, its healthy and you feel great and sore afterwards. And... they do help keep you in shape.

I've even considered giving a met-con only routine a shot at some point. Probably 4 sessions a week - 2 tough weight ones and 2 cardio ones (one high intensity and one medium intensity). If you pick the right exercises (stuff like clean and press, push press, squats, RDLS etc) I reckon you can maintain or improve strength, get lean or add muscle. Be interesting for sure, I might do that to maintain leanness next summer, I'll have a think about it.

What do you all think?

As for this week, its a back off week. I was tempted not to take it because I so badly want to keep the volume up and keep cranking up the weight.... but..... this progression cycle IS working. I AM getting stronger and I am NOT getting injured so I will bite my tongue and keep it up.

Also, I was thinking about how to more strategically use the back off week and I am going to turn it into a min cut week. well.. ish. My diet isn't the most consistent each week - probably 60--70% if I am honest which is less than I like but at the end of the day given how much activity I do and how I look in the mirror I am managing to stay on the cusp of being happy with the puppy fat given I need to add muscle and strength. But, if I can use the back off week to kinda rein things in and be SUPER consistent it will be one week in four where I kinda lean up a little.

So, I plan to do no high days - 4 medium (my weights days) and 3 low (cardio and off days) and I will do whatever it takes to be 90%+ consistent. I am also gonna up the cardio to 1 x met con + 2 hours cardio. And a big focus on mobility. This means I am making use of the back off week to really improve mobility and lean up a bit which kinda of makes up for the 3 weeks where things sit at about 70%. And I think having 3 weeks at 70% and 1 week at close to 100% is a manageable way for me to achieve my goals. Not perfect, but getting something to fit around how you want to live is more important to me than being perfect.

Anyway enough of the waffling. Strict diet, less carbs, lower volume @ 6 reps, more cardio and lots of mobility work this week.

Joe Black
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Simple back off upper body session today with a bit of a finisher tacked on the end for a cardio blast.

Incline DB Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 28KG DBS

Bar Rows = 2 x 6 @ 80KG

Floor Press - 2 x 6 @ 70KG

Hammer Strength Pull Down - 2 x 6 @ 75KG

3 rounds of the below - 2 min rest:

Clean and Press - 1 x 15 @ 20KG Rubber type type thing
Skipping - 250 reps
Row - 1 min @ 1:40/500M

DONE

Went up on most weights and everything felt great - **** is coming together.

f=ma
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
good decision to stay consistent.. i am always getting minor injuries.. its such a pain in the ass but i am so stubborn. keep at it daniel, you are doing well

Joe Black
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Yep, steady and slow is the name of the game!

Todays workout was a little boring due to it being a back off, but everything got done and I upped some of the weights for the 6 reps.

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 8 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunges - 2 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 50KG

Leg Press - 2 x 6 @ 180KG

Leg Curls - 2 x 6 @ 75KG

Side Planks - 3 x 45 sec (each side)

Off Road
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Nothing boring about upping the weight and getting it done.

GoodyGirl
11-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Popping in to see how you're doing. Haven't been around much, sorry.

Joe Black
11-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Been a bit quiet lately, sorry for that!

I kinda went into a bit of a slump towards the end of last week. Went off the diet and didn't train.. I dunno, it was just a crappy ass week for everything.

The diet thing pisses me off the most. I am in a position where I can get stronger, stay reasonably lean AND have some freedom and I still **** it up. I can definitely afford the odd evening out with friends, dinner with the girl, whatever as long as 80%+ of the other stuff is 100% on diet and a hard training session. But I am straying and I can see it in the mirror a little.

So, need to SMASH this week as I am in Munich with friends for Fri through Sun and there won't be a lot of dieting/training there.

So, the plan was 4 solid days of hard training and clean eating and I have smashed Mon and Tues already:

These are from memory but mostly correct:

Mon - Upper Body A:

Incline DB Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 28KG DBS

Bar Rows = 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 77.5KG

Floor Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 70KG

Hammer Strength Pull Down - 3 x 10 @ 75KG

Bar Roll Outs - 2 x 8

Tues - Lower Body (a mix of exercises from both sessions as I am only training legs once this week)

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 100KG, 1 x 8 @ 80KG (for a stretch)

Front Squat - 2 x 10 @ 70Kg (PR), 1 x 8 @ 70KG

Elevated Split Squat - 3 x 12 (each leg) @ 14KG DBS (I was quite tired from front squats and RDL so it wasn't clean 12 rep set, some got done in 2 or 3 parts. I reckon I could have smashed a clean 12 each side if I had done them as a second exercise as normal)

Leg Curl - 2 x 10 @ 72.5KG, 1 x 10 @ 70KG

Then I hobbled home.

Gonna smash upper body + 45min cardio today and then a met con session on Thursday which will be a good 4 workouts.

Off Road
11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
You may get down on yourself, but you're getting it done. You just came off a long time of strict eating and training, you need a mental break. Just keep driving yourself back on track until it becomes habit again. Have fun on your trip and then punish yourself when you get back.

borracho
11-24-2010, 08:33 AM
I AM getting stronger and I am NOT getting injured so I will bite my tongue and keep it up.

If I could stay injury free for a year I'd be pumped! I say stick with it if it is working and keeping you healthy...cant go wrong with that.

Joe Black
11-24-2010, 03:10 PM
You may get down on yourself, but you're getting it done. You just came off a long time of strict eating and training, you need a mental break. Just keep driving yourself back on track until it becomes habit again. Have fun on your trip and then punish yourself when you get back.

Yeah you're right. I just need to be more solid on those on days and I can then easily afford some off. finding the right balance is SOOOO hard for me..

I'm gonna have fun in Munich though and not worry about stuff and then smash it on Monday!

Cheers for the pep talk! :)

Joe Black
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
If I could stay injury free for a year I'd be pumped! I say stick with it if it is working and keeping you healthy...cant go wrong with that.

Yup, just gotta keep remembering those things :)

Joe Black
11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Awesome Upper body session today - PRS accross the board.

DB Rows 2 x 12 @ 32.5KG, 2 x 10 @ 32.5KG

BB Bench - 1 x 11, 1 x 9, 1 x 6 @ 70KG, 1 x 10 @ 50KG

Wide Grip Pull Ups - 1 x 12, 1 x 8+2, 1 x 6+3+2+1 @ Blue Band

DB Push Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 7 @ 28KG, 1 x 10 @ 26KG

I had a proper wobble on the 8th rep of the 2nd set of DB push press. I got them half up and then one went and I held onto it because I didn;t want to drop them on the hard bit of the floor and i just looked like a bit of a wally lol. Next time I will just drop them as it was close to causing an injury!

Anyway, can't complain about PRs on all exercises - this is really coming together now.

Eating has gone well today. A little off track this evening as I cooked a home made vegetable, jalfrezi curry with nann bread but overall calories roughly in check. gonna get tighter on this next week for sure.

Off Road
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Looks like you are putting those extra calories to good use. Way to smash it. Now you can go on your trip feeling good.

Joe Black
11-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Got me a conditioning session to smash before I go though!

Although training for 3 days on the trot has made me soooooore, so its gonna be tough!

f=ma
11-29-2010, 02:37 AM
good stuff man. i had a wobble like that a few years ago except i lost it completely and dropped a 70 on my chest.. really messed me up lol.. took me more than a month to recover from that. good to avoid injury!

Joe Black
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
yep, I think a bit more momentum and I could have hurt myself, so I was lucky!

In short, the weekend was a long one. The airport in Munich got snowed in and I ended up being awake for 48 hours which SUCKED.

Plus the weekend was full of beer and lots of meat and potatoes lol

I hit the gym today and was WEAK. Pretty sure the 5 days off and being super tired just knocked me out of the groove, so I just knocked the weights down and didn't quite train to failure. No point in pushing it when I don't have it in me and it should only take a few tick over sessions and a bit of good eating to pull things back.

So session looked like this:

Upper Body A

Incline DB press

1 x 7 @ 28KG DBS
1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
1 x 8 @ 24KG DBS

Bar Rows

3 x 8 @ 70KG

Floor Press

2 x 8 @ 65KG
1 x 8 @ 60KG
1 x 8 @ 50KG

Front Pull Down

3 x 8 @ 65KG

DONE.

Joe Black
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh I also hit a med carb day 100%.

Kiff
12-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh I also hit a med carb day 100%.

Nice one mate :)

Close call on the injury!

Off Road
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Settled in yet?

Joe Black
12-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Yep, starting to feel a bit better although still feeling a bit tired but I'm just about there :)

Hit the gym for a lower body session today and I managed to keep up with last weeks numbers which was a relief considering my crappy session on Tuesday.

Went like this:

Romanian Deadlift

1 x 10 @ 100KG
1 x 10 @ 100KG
1 x 8 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunge

1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG (this set was a little shaky, but got it done)

Leg Press

1 x 10 @ 175KG
1 x 10 @ 175KG
1 x 10 @ 175KG

Leg Curl

1 x 8 @ 77.5KG
1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 70KG

Need to start getting some cardio in as I have been a complete slacker,

I am going to commit to doing 30 min after my upper body sessions, which along with a 1 hour met con session will give me 2 hours a week, my target.

Off Road
12-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Good session and looks like the vacation didn't harm you.

Joe Black
12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Been rather quiet the last 4 or 5 days.

I got in a great upper body session last week after the leg one but then took the weekend and Mon and Tues off as I got the keys to my new house and have been busy sorting stuff out.

Back on from today though and will post a better update later today after an upper body session today, plus some news on a gym change!

Kiff
12-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Been rather quiet the last 4 or 5 days.

I got in a great upper body session last week after the leg one but then took the weekend and Mon and Tues off as I got the keys to my new house and have been busy sorting stuff out.

Back on from today though and will post a better update later today after an upper body session today, plus some news on a gym change!

Congrats on the new place mate nice work in here

Off Road
12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Moving day...awesome!
I'd come help you move, but I don't like flying :)

Joe Black
12-09-2010, 03:44 PM
I'll let you off then :)

We've already moved about 5 or 6 car loads so far - the new furniture is in, phone and broadband is all hooked up and with one big van load on Saturday we'll be in for our first night - well exciting! But its causing this week to be a bit of a write off!

Smashed the last two days on both the training and diet front.

I found myself struggling on the 3rd and 4th sets mainly because of the extra volme, plus I am just tired as hell right now. I've also dropped the weight on those last sets as I kinda slipped into letting my ego take over and as a result form slipped. So basically I really focused on form and once I hit 8 reps, I dropped the weight to keep it at 10-12.

Weds:

Medium Carb = 100%

Upper Body A:

Incline DB Press:

1 x 8 @ 28KG DBs
1 x 7 @ 28KG DBs
1 x 7 @ 26KG DBs
1 x 9 @ 24KG DBs

Barbell Rows

1 x 8+2 @ 77.5KG (form a bit sloppy)
1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 70KG

Floor Press

1 x 10 @ 65KG (form a bit sloppy)
1 x 10 @ 60KG
1 x 10 @ 60KG
1 x 8 @ 60KG

Front Pull Down

1 x 10 @ 75KG
1 x 8 @ 75KG
1 x 8 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 65KG

Bar Roll Out

1 x 8
1 x 8

Front Plank

1 x 45 sec
1 x 45 sec

Thurs:

Medium Carb = 100%

Lower Body A

Romanian Deadlift

1 x 12 @ 100KG
1 x 12 @ 100KG
1 x 8 @ 100KG
1 x 12 @ 95KG

Reverse Lunge

1 x 10 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
1 x 14 (7 each leg) @ 47.5KG

Leg Press

1 x 10 @ 180KG
1 x 10 @ 180KG
1 x 10 @ 180KG
1 x 10 @ 180KG

Leg Curl

1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 8 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 65KG

Overall I am happy with both the sessions. the Upper Body A felt like a tick over session and the Lower Body had some good PRs. Also happy I have conciously decided to pull some of the weights back so I can focus on form more. Ultimately I will progress faster like this in the long run.

Gonna struggle to get in Upper Body B and lower Body B this week as lots of moving house stuff to do and early starts and late finishes make it hard to get in the gym.. and I am feeling TIRED.

I'll be set from next week though. i signed up at a new gym thats 3 min from my house and its pretty good. Seperate free weights section with a bunch of hammer strength machines, rack, free weight bench, chin up bars and lots of Heavy DBS and the fact its so close means I should be able to definately improve on my consistency.

time for bed....

Behemoth
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
what macros are you using these days daniel? Are you still working with shelby and doing a carb rotation?

Joe Black
12-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah, still carb rotation. When I was with Shelby we started off using 2 x high, 2 x med and 4 x low per week and after going through about 5 stages of reducing the overall carbs/calories I ended up on mostly low carbs with a weekly refeed.

Shelby suggested I go straight back to the 2 x high, 2 x med and 4 x low and monitor how I get on. If I put on too much weight, I could drop a high and replace with a medium or the other way around if I didn't gain at all.

I can;t say I have been consistent enough to say I have been properly following this, but on the whole training days get a high or med carb and everything else is low carb. I like the carb rotation.- its easy to follow if you have everything planned out and it feels great to have high carbs on training days and cut them back on non trainning days.

Off Road
12-10-2010, 06:54 AM
It seems you put a high percentage of your effort into your nutrition...very impressive. I must remember that come March when I start to diet.

Kiff
12-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice work in here mate, I cant even imagine trying to track my nutrition as tightly as you and other guys do...

Great stuff mate keep at it!

f=ma
12-11-2010, 08:01 AM
daniel, very nice work. clearly youre doing well. have you seen any visible progress?

having a gym nearby is imperative... if you have to travel to get a session in after a long day or before work it just adds to the difficulty. hows the new pad? youre moved in now, right?

Joe Black
12-12-2010, 11:48 PM
daniel, very nice work. clearly youre doing well. have you seen any visible progress?

having a gym nearby is imperative... if you have to travel to get a session in after a long day or before work it just adds to the difficulty. hows the new pad? youre moved in now, right?

Yeah I'm definitely looking more muscular, but also a bit fatter lol.. But overall I think I have made good strength increases and some visible progress over the last few months so I am happy. But I do need to stay more consistent on the diet front and get a couple hours of cardio done each week. Gonna be tough with Christmas but with a few scheduled off days I know I can smash the on days 100% from now on.

Yeah, the new gym literally 3 mins drive, 5 mins cycle away is gonna ROCK. I am gonna go about 3ish to train which is the perfect time for me energy/work wise and it won't feel like 3 hours out of my day anymore.

The new pad is LOVELY. I couldn't be more happy.. All of the new furniture is in and we've now spent 2 nights there. I'm currently sitting in my dining room with the imac on the new dining table and a nice hot cup of tea to the side :) It feels so great to have a place of our own to actually think of nice things to buy/do around the house. And the guy finished the house to a really high level of quality so we have an old house with character, yet it is very modern inside. I'll get some pics up soon :)

Thanks to everyone still checking in, I am gonna make sure you get some proper updates for the next few weeks :)

Joe Black
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Alright, back to it!

Feeling a bit crappy in general. Not been getting much sleep as the girl is sick with a cold/flu so she has been keeping up and I think some of it is rubbing off on me.. Gotta stay strong! lol

Hit the new gym today and it felt... well.. ok.... I think it was more just the change and it's definitely more primitive than the old one. It'll do for sure though and I think some of me not feeling it was me just feeling drained and it's been a good 5-6 days since I have trained.

Kept it light (about 15% lighter than my last weeks numbers) just to get back into things and whilst I am feeling crappy.

Incline DB Press

1 x 8 @ 26KG DBS
1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
1 x 10 @ 24KG DBS

BB Rows

1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 10 @ 70KG
1 x 8+2 @ 70KG

Floor Press

1 x 8 @ 60KG
1x 8 @ 50KG
1x 8 @ 50KG

* The Rack I was pressing in has a weird bar which forces me to stop just short of touching my chest which feels a bit weird. I'll keep at it but may switch it out for another pressing movement, maybe a strict overhead press. Thoughts?

Front Pull Down

1 x 8 @ 70KG
1 x 8 @ 70KG
1 x 8 @ 70KG

DONE.

Just gotta get back into the swing of things and I'll be good.

Hit a med carb day today 90%.

ThomasG
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Good job getting back at it Daniel. I'm in the same boat as you had to keep my last workout light. It sucks but hey, we can always bounce back.

f=ma
12-23-2010, 05:07 PM
bump. youre not allowed to skip

borracho
01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
wtf is this ****? Where are you?

Joe Black
02-18-2011, 12:08 AM
If you looked up lame in the dictionary it would have a picture of me lol

Not sure what to say really but I've had the best part of 8 weeks off and it feels and shows. I started a new job and have passed over my interests in WBB and ALN to Chris so my life has changed quite a bit! I'm enjoying the change though and it was definitely the right time of my life to make it.

Now that I am a slave to the corporate world it's much tougher for me to approach fitness in the way I did in the past so I am going to start a new, more relaxed plan from next week. HCT-12 Weds, Fri and Sat with low carb Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri and pretty much what I want on Weds and the weekend. Hopefully that should keep me from getting fat and also allow me to focus on slowly getting stronger. Key is not putting too much pressure on myself as my job is a big challenge most days I leave the house at 6am and get back about 7pm and it's mentally pretty tough.

I am really looking forward to getting back to posting and journalling without the pressure of running WBB and ALN actually so see you about soon :)

f=ma
02-18-2011, 03:44 AM
good to see you about daniel, my hours are very similar to yours. its why i do this absurd AM thing. did you buy a cayman? i was going to suggest a used DB9 instead.. or a used R8 :P

Off Road
02-18-2011, 07:12 AM
It will be good to see you back posting in your journal. Sounds like the perfect oportunity to try out some ultra abreviated training mixed with conditioning.

Joe Black
02-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Tim (it's Tim and not Timothy right?), I haven't got a new car yet, still bidding my time. I'm actually having a hard job finding something decent near me. I'm either looking at a 06/07 Cayman or an 04/05 m3 convertible. I think I am leaning towards the beemer as I have had one before and LOVED it and its both cheaper and more practical. Plus my house does not have off street parking so I think I would worry too much about the Cayman.

Don't think I can do that absurd AM thing :) I like to get into work for 6:30-7:00 so I can get a head start on the day and I couldn't imagine training at 5:30. I think hitting Weds eve and then Sat and Sunday morning/lunch will be a good balance for me. It means my week has just one evening where I have to hit the gym and I can focus on work but I have the weekend free to also smash it. We'll see :)

How's the training going for you? I'll swing into your journal soooooooooooooooooooon!

John, thanks man. I appreciate you popping in and appreciate your comments. You always have a well grounded bit of advice to give :)

So the week has started off well. I've maintained low carb both Mon and Tues and feel good for it. Today I get to hit upper body and to relax my eating so I will be going out for lunch with my Dad and probably have a nice meal with the girl tonight after training.

I haven't weighed myself in ages... scared! lol

Kiff
02-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Good to see you back. Funny really I am thinking of jumping off the corporate band wagon into self employed in the fitness world lol good luck mate!

Off Road
02-23-2011, 07:35 AM
It's cool to hear how others live in different countries. Here in the States, if you don't have a car, you don't get to do anything; like date :)