PDA

View Full Version : sore knees, knee tendonitis

zk001
06-15-2010, 02:55 PM
any squats over 220 and I have knee pain in the upper part of patella and the outer part of patelle on both knees. it sucks, even 1 week off and the pain is still there. it really keeps my squat down. I pull 550 yet have troubles and pain to squat 400. what to do?

- more stretching? more rectus femoris stretching? mobility work? icing?

thank you for any help.

zk

mastermonster
06-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Make sure your toes are pointing in line with the travel path of your knees. Also, wrapping (even lightly) can really help with the patella pain...along with some ibuprofen and icing them. Wrap even on the light weights if you have pain there. I've seen this keep several lifters squatting. Good luck with them!

tnathletics2b
06-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Do you do a lot of cardio? I developed tendonitis in my knee from running on asphault every day...kinda sissy, I know, but I took it easy for a while and it healed. I thought it was from squats as well, but it was from the running.

Hope you figure it out!

typsu32
06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I have tendenitious in both knees, and the best thing i did was to NOT stop squatting, and to start using a simple compression sleeve around my knees. It has really helped. Also, you should do proper warm up sets, starting light, and then getting heavy. I usually do at least two warm up sets before i get into my work sets while squatting.

Aslin
06-17-2010, 12:44 PM
any squats over 220 and I have knee pain in the upper part of patella and the outer part of patelle on both knees. it sucks, even 1 week off and the pain is still there. it really keeps my squat down. I pull 550 yet have troubles and pain to squat 400. what to do?

- more stretching? more rectus femoris stretching? mobility work? icing?

thank you for any help.

zk

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say i'm sure I know what your problem is, it's not focusing on keeping your knees out when you squat, when you go down into the hole, think about 'knees out', think about them going out to the sides instead of going forwad, whatever you do dont stop squatting it makes you a pussy.

U have a DL of 550 and a squat of 220?

BloodandThunder
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
cough Rehband sleeves cough

Little heat beforehand, good warmup and dynamic movement, TKEs with a band, hipabduction-xwalks-hipadduction-glute bridges etc, proper form and depth.
Ice afterward. Follow this for a while. Profit.

Maybe work off a box for a while as well until you're comfortable free squatting and not having knee caving issues. Either way, take a proactive approach before something worse happens. Good, healthy knees are a must

zk001
06-18-2010, 03:23 AM
no, it's not 220 squat. my squat is 420 but anything over 220 hurts like hell.

zk

ScottYard
06-18-2010, 07:08 AM
cough Rehband sleeves cough

Little heat beforehand, good warmup and dynamic movement, TKEs with a band, hipabduction-xwalks-hipadduction-glute bridges etc, proper form and depth.
Ice afterward. Follow this for a while. Profit.

Maybe work off a box for a while as well until you're comfortable free squatting and not having knee caving issues. Either way, take a proactive approach before something worse happens. Good, healthy knees are a must

I agree with the Box squatting advice. Maybe you need to squat off the box until your form is better. You areprbably squatting off your toes and putting too much stress on the knees. Learn to box squat and sit back into the lift and your knees will feel better. Stick rolling helps as well pre workout to warm things up.

davehaggett
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
i agree with everything said so far. Another suggestion though... I have had really bad patella tendonitis for years now, its getting alot better recently from stretching though. I had super tight quads and they were really pulling on my patella and making it much worse. Now some days its not even there and other days just a dull pain but it's completely manageable. Used to be so bad I couldnt get through any squat work for weeks at a time. Just try losts of stretching every day and especially after leg work and see what it does for you. I also kneel on a hard surface some times, it seems to help with the pain. If you kneel and lean back and get a good stretch going your weight kind of holds the tendon in place and you can stretch the muscle better.