PDA

View Full Version : 198/220 Weight Class

basbolstar
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey all-

The last year I competed at 220. I only weighed 210. I have lost some weight and now down to 204. I think I want to drop weight classes and compete at 198. I have a meet in mid August I think I wanna try. I was curious if anyone had any advice to this and also training? My max lifts are 360 bench and 530 Deadlift. I have kept strength pretty good, but am nervous about losing power due to the weight loss. I would love any suggestions or advice.

thanks

Star

Lones Green
06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
204 to 198 is a reasonable cut. It wouldn't take much at all. The guy that owns my gym cuts from 216-220 to 198, keep in mind he's extremely experienced and has done it many many times.

You have to see how you respond to cutting weight, some people can really pull it off and cut 30 lbs and be as strong as ever, and some it really messes with. I would fall in the latter category, haha

I would suggest finding a small meet that isn't a huge deal for you (it sounds like you're planning ahead quite a bit for your August meet) and try it for that meet. If it messes with your strength real bad, then you will know not to do it.

Get an idea of what you want to do and then if you want to try it, there are plenty here that can help you with a plan to cut the 6 pounds or so.

basbolstar
06-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I lost about 5 lbs on my honeymoon. I did chest last night doing 295x 3 and 315x floor presses. Felt great. I think cutting out some bad foods will help as well.

Tom Mutaffis
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey all-

The last year I competed at 220. I only weighed 210. I have lost some weight and now down to 204. I think I want to drop weight classes and compete at 198. I have a meet in mid August I think I wanna try. I was curious if anyone had any advice to this and also training? My max lifts are 360 bench and 530 Deadlift. I have kept strength pretty good, but am nervous about losing power due to the weight loss. I would love any suggestions or advice.

thanks

Star

Cutting from 204 lbs to 198 lbs should not negatively impact your strength, especially if there is a 24 hour weigh-in.

If you are looking to maintain your bodyweight long-term at 198 then I would recommend cutting down slowly and going with something like a calorie deficit of 250-500 calories/day which yields between 1/2 to 1 pound weight loss per week.

Assuming that your lifts are raw then a ~900 push/pull total would be pretty competitive in the 198's.

basbolstar
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Tom. I have done well at 220 but get killed giving up at least 10 lbs. The weigh in is the day before. Do you think I should keep training as is?? Do a little bit of cardio maybe?

Tom Mutaffis
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Tom. I have done well at 220 but get killed giving up at least 10 lbs. The weigh in is the day before. Do you think I should keep training as is?? Do a little bit of cardio maybe?

I also have some first hand experience with competing against heavier athletes, and it can be tough.

There are a couple of different options in terms of methods to lower your bodyweight while maintaining or improving strength.

Do you currently do any conditioning work? How is your diet?

basbolstar
06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I do the stairmaster 2-3x p/week holding a 25 lbs plate. I also play basketball 2-3 p/week. I have a semi clean diet. I work tough hours, so by the time I come home and train. i am eatign dinner at 8:30-9:00.

Brian Hopper
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
If you are walking around at 204, then their shouldn't be a problem trying to cut to 198. I compete in the 242's and I usually walk around 246-248. I just cut back on the amount of food that I normally eat and stop drinking sodas.

NickAus
06-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Thats an easy cut, should be no problem for you.

Good luck!!

Tom Mutaffis
06-17-2010, 06:48 AM
I do the stairmaster 2-3x p/week holding a 25 lbs plate. I also play basketball 2-3 p/week. I have a semi clean diet. I work tough hours, so by the time I come home and train. i am eatign dinner at 8:30-9:00.

If you are looking to burn fat I would recommend one of these two types of cardio:

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training (run one minute then walk one minute alternating for 20 minutes)
LISS - Low Intensity Steady State (walking @ 3 mph for 30-45 minutes)

Basketball may serve as interval training depending on if you are playing half court or full court and how active the other players are.

As Brian Hopper mentioned it should be fairly easy to cut a couple of pounds. You can limit your carbohydrate intake at night, cut out some simple sugars, and make some other simple adjustments.

Keep us posted on your progress!

RustyPugh
06-18-2010, 07:14 AM
I have seen a lot of guys cut weight for meets and they feel like ****. I would consider why you are cutting in the first place. Are you looking to break a world record or a PR? If it's a PR then eat good, rest, weigh what you weigh and lift. I personally don't lift weights to be smaller so my 2 cents is to get your weight up, lift in the 220's.

I mean, I guess you could go play basketball and ****....hell even take up golf and badmitten, that will get you down to 198 too........

get your weight up, train hard, don't worry about cutting.

Brian Hopper
06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Losing 6 pounds is not going to effect him the day of the meet. I understand what you mean about putting some weight on and just lifting as a full 220. But I think what your seeing are lifters losing 20+lbs to make weight and feeling like garbage on meet day. I'm not sure if you read my post or not, but I normally lose about 4-6lbs to make weight, and it doesn't bother me at all. This last meet I did back in February, I was at my heaviest weighing 253lbs, I weighed in at 238lbs, and broke 4 PR's. So I think it all depends on the individual lifter and how he cuts the weight.

martin
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree with Brian - you'll most probably drop a couple pounds at least the week before the meet. 6 lbs is not much at all to lose - it's natural overnight dehydration plus miss a meal or two at most.

Hell, at 204 I'd be making the 181's lol

BloodandThunder
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Unless you're trying to win a legit national title or something, gain weight in the long run until your wilks starts suffering. I believe Louie has his guys gain until their DL goes through the crapper.

However, cutting a few pounds for this meet will be great practice for larger cuts you'll inevitably do in the long run.

Brian Hopper
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Hell, at 204 I'd be making the 181's lol

I've seen it done, I also remember Matt K. dropping from like 255 down to 220 and he broke the all-time total record at 220. IMO, I think it all comes down to how you cut the weight. Personally, I want to stay around 245-250 so I can compete in the 242's.

basbolstar
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Should I change my routine at all?? Anyone have any routine's that have worked well for them?

davehaggett
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Dont change anything about your diet/training, just learn how to cut weight properly. I cut from 215-220 to the 198s and come in at 100%. Matt K's method works awesome, it just takes some serious mental toughness to get through when your looking at cutting 10%+ of your bodyweight

joey54
06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I have seen a lot of guys cut weight for meets and they feel like ****. I would consider why you are cutting in the first place. Are you looking to break a world record or a PR? If it's a PR then eat good, rest, weigh what you weigh and lift. I personally don't lift weights to be smaller so my 2 cents is to get your weight up, lift in the 220's.

I mean, I guess you could go play basketball and ****....hell even take up golf and badmitten, that will get you down to 198 too........

get your weight up, train hard, don't worry about cutting.

Don't know who you are, but the last two paragraphs aren't a great way to introduce yourself to the board. If you don't have something constructive to say, best not to say anything at all.

Brian Hopper
06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Dont change anything about your diet/training, just learn how to cut weight properly. I cut from 215-220 to the 198s and come in at 100%. Matt K's method works awesome, it just takes some serious mental toughness to get through when your looking at cutting 10%+ of your bodyweight

I agree!!!

If your training routine is working for you then don't change it. If it's not or if your just looking for something else to try then that's different. Like Dave said, learn how to cut weight properly and you will be fine trying to drop from 204 down to 198.

Trust me, when it comes down to it on the week of your meet, there are plenty of lifters here that can help you if you needed it.

robchris
06-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Unless you're trying to win a legit national title or something, gain weight in the long run until your wilks starts suffering. I believe Louie has his guys gain until their DL goes through the crapper.

However, cutting a few pounds for this meet will be great practice for larger cuts you'll inevitably do in the long run.

Agreed... Go in @ 198 this meet for a better wilks #. You've got plenty of time to grow into the 220's!

Good luck,
RC

basbolstar
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,

I am around 203-205 as we speak.

Did raw(no suit, deadlifts the other day. 495 3x, 515x1. Did bench 335x2 and 355x1. My training feels great. I am somewhat afraid I will lose a bit of strength for the last 5 lbs. Good news is, the weigh in is the day before.

Any feedback or advice would be great.

Brian Hopper
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't even worry about losing any strength, 5lbs shouldn't effect your performance. If your weigh-in is the day before, then you'll have plenty of time to put that weight back on. I don't do anything special, I just cut out late night snacks and sodas. IMO, you should be fine for the meet.