PDA

View Full Version : A gallon of milk for the lactose-intolerant

everphilski
06-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Hey guys,

I am doing SS, and am looking to bulk. I know Rippetoe and others recommend a gallon of milk per day. Being lactose intolerant that is impossible for me, while I've grown more accustomed to it then when I was a kid, any more than a glass or two is bad news for me.

So I'm looking for foods to substitute. Whole milk is 8g/13g/8g (fat/carb/protein) per 8 ounces, or roughly 1g/1.5g/1g per ounce. I know there are other nutritional benefits beyond the caloric, which may be difficult to replicate.

Foods I've been looking at include
- peanut butter and whole bread
- cottage cheese (again, some limits on quantity)
- nuts
- eggs (in lieu of cereal for breakfast)
- protein powder

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

philip

alphagoose
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
forgive me if im wrong, but can u drink lactose free milk? a friend recommended i try lactose free milk because i was having issues with acne while drinking regular milk. it seems to help some by drinking the lactose free milk! good luck

StLRPh
06-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Lactaid tablets are WAY cheaper than lactose free milk and help tremendously with lactose intolerance. You may have luck building up to it if you're willing to give that a shot.

Also, there is more to GOMAD than the calories and protein. IGF-1 is also in there. Best of luck with whatever you do.

dropshot001
06-17-2010, 09:33 AM
if you can get raw milk, you should do it

Kastro
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Lactaid tablets indeed.

everphilski
06-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I took Lactaid; both the pill and the mix-in variant and they never really worked for me as a kid/teenager. I guess I'll have to try again.

Yeah, I'm aware of the IGF-1. Dad used to be a dairy farmer. As kids, my mom recollects us drinking raw milk straight from the cow; fat clinging to the sides of the cup...

Thanks for the responses. We'll see what happens.

Philip

mike mcgee
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
You can try coconut milk. It doesn't have the protein, but it has 5g of "good" fat per serving. It tastes great in my PWO shakes.

Focused70
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm on a slightly modified form of SS and like the OP, am lactose intolerant.

I'm doing half a gallon of milk a day in addition to my normal eating. I average anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 calories a day, and about 190 to 225 g protein.

Seems fine. My ivory throne has my name permanently etched on it.

Dgro
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Soy milk? has more protein than the regular stuff

Focused70
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Soy milk? has more protein than the regular stuff

Not nearly as convenient or as cheap for me.

Also, there's more to milk than just protein and calories. Vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus for example, in significantly higher quantities than soy.

cheeseburgler
09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Just get a gallon of milk and a can of Febreeze spray.

DMedley
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Any other ideas?

Thanks,

philip

Have you tried Goats Milk? Even though it has lactose in it, a lot of people with lactose intolerance can drink goat milk.

f=ma
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
uhm

its worth pointing out that the point of GOMAD is to ensure you are getting adequate calories to grow. you dont have to actually drink a gallon of milk per day. in fact, you could eat 2lbs of chicken and 1lb of rice per day instead. or do 1lb lean ground beef, 1lb chicken, 1lb rice, mix it all up, add a bunch of FF cheese and youre golden. drinking a gallon of milk per day is an easy way to tell the "hardgainer" how to gain without explaining why their preconceived notion is wrong.

Cards
09-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm lactose intolerant as well, I don't drink any milk to be honest. That being said, I try to make it up by eating what I would get from drinking milk.

Trying adding extra things to your meals. You don't have to drink a gallon of milk a day, you just need to get in the extra calories.

Focused70
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
uhm

its worth pointing out that the point of GOMAD is to ensure you are getting adequate calories to grow. you dont have to actually drink a gallon of milk per day. in fact, you could eat 2lbs of chicken and 1lb of rice per day instead. or do 1lb lean ground beef, 1lb chicken, 1lb rice, mix it all up, add a bunch of FF cheese and youre golden. drinking a gallon of milk per day is an easy way to tell the "hardgainer" how to gain without explaining why their preconceived notion is wrong.

of course. ;)

in other words, the SeeFood diet.

I don't think anyone's actually disagreeing with you, for what it's worth.

Alex.V
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
uhm

This.

Seriously, a gallon of milk would make me vomit. Eat beef and rice. Or chicken. Pasta. Whatever. Just eat.

Partyfoul
09-28-2010, 12:03 AM
I can demolish 3 large cans of skippys natural in a week

f=ma
09-29-2010, 03:10 AM
skippy is awesomely tasty.... but i'm starting to become convinced that higher dietary fat will eventually lead to higher fat storage. possibly due to the caloric density of dietary fat... possibly due to the nature of dietary fat itself. i would keep fats to reasonable amounts from almonds, trace chicken/beef, etc

for the record, i love natty pb though.

Cmanuel
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
if you can get raw milk, you should do it

Not worth the risk, IMO.

Mercuryblade
09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Not worth the risk, IMO.

Not to mention it doesn't nothing to address the OP's lactose issues.

Also, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that raw milk is somehow better. Oh noes, pasteurization kills " beneficial enyzmes." Someone please tell me how exactly these amazing enzymes don't get destroyed in my gut, and what health benefits they exactly provide.

Focused70
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Also, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that raw milk is somehow better. Oh noes, pasteurization kills " beneficial enyzmes." Someone please tell me how exactly these amazing enzymes don't get destroyed in my gut, and what health benefits they exactly provide.

you mean

http://www.choosingraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sarma-melngailis-c-erica-michelsen.jpg

does nothing for you? :D

She's Sarma Melngailis, one of the highest profile advocates for 'raw food' in the NYC metropolitan area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_foodism

Personally I think it's just a bunch of hooey.

Cmanuel
09-29-2010, 09:41 AM

BLAM! Hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, there is a direct correlation with increased life expectancy and reduced incidence of tuberculosis and brucellosis once pasteurization was made a requirement for milk shipped over state lines.

thecityalive
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think I have developed an intolerance for lactose. Spent a few days without milk and I didn't feel bloated or gassy. Had a tall glass of milk and booom, gas city. While I don't care about gas around others, it hinders my performance in the gym (before a big main lift ie a squat, or mid exercise...could be bad)

Going to a doctor to get the confirmation, but any extra insight would be great.

DontTakeEmOff31
05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think I have developed an intolerance for lactose. Spent a few days without milk and I didn't feel bloated or gassy. Had a tall glass of milk and booom, gas city. While I don't care about gas around others, it hinders my performance in the gym (before a big main lift ie a squat, or mid exercise...could be bad)

Going to a doctor to get the confirmation, but any extra insight would be great.

I drink a gallon of 2% milk a day and I've adjusted pretty well to it. If I take a day or two off from drinking it (while I'm away or something) and go back on it it's hell again for a day or two. So maybe that's what happened to you. And I fully understand what you mean about it getting in the way during a big lift.

Milk is just a heavy food item (or drink), it causes a bloat feeling and gas, I think that's pretty normal. If one glass of milk causes problems you could be lactose intolerant, but I think most people are.

Alex.V
05-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Lactase production in the body slowly decreases as we age- really not surprising, most people past the age of twenty are marginally lactose-intolerant. Screw milk.

Cards
05-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm lactose intolerante. I can eat cheese and icecream, but milk and yogurt is out of the question. It's definitely become worse with time...which is a shame because chocolate milk is one of my favorite things.