PDA

View Full Version : Europe's Strongest Man - Final Results

Tom Mutaffis
06-19-2010, 11:39 PM
The contest took place today; it appeared to be a tough day for a few of the competitors with Terry Hollands, Jimmy Marku, and Stojan Todorchev all sustaining injuries. Terry and Jimmy are both out for the rest of the year with torn biceps.

Zydrunas Savickas took home first place and also broke the official apollons axle record with a lift of 193 Kg / 425 lbs.

Here are the official places and points:

1. Zydrunas Savickas 40.5
2. Terry Hollands 33.0
3. Mark Felix 31.0
4. Stojan Todorchev 27.0
5. Louis-Philippe Jean 24.5
6. Sergey Rumin 19.5

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Jun/Zydrunas_Savickas_Wins_Europexs_Strongest_Man_and_Breaks_World_Record_in_the_Apollonxs_Axle.html

Shemz
06-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Nice! How exactly do you get a torn biceps? Because i recently saw a video of a guy who got one while deadlifting and well it kinda got my scared to deadlift again..

Tom Mutaffis
06-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Nice! How exactly do you get a torn biceps? Because i recently saw a video of a guy who got one while deadlifting and well it kinda got my scared to deadlift again..

Usually they occur when there is a bend in the elbow while the arm is under heavy load, or if your grip slips during a heavy movement and the weight releases quickly. There are also some individuals who have ruptured tendons from overuse.

Deadlifting with an over/under grip does put you at higher risk for a biceps injury which is why most strongman contests allow the use of straps. There are other strongman events to test grip, while the deadlift is used to test back/leg strength.

Shemz
06-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Usually they occur when there is a bend in the elbow while the arm is under heavy load, or if your grip slips during a heavy movement and the weight releases quickly. There are also some individuals who have ruptured tendons from overuse.

Deadlifting with an over/under grip does put you at higher risk for a biceps injury which is why most strongman contests allow the use of straps. There are other strongman events to test grip, while the deadlift is used to test back/leg strength.

What about deadlifting with only an overhand grip (and straps)? I haven't had any problems so far, but i'm kinda considering lowering my deadlift weight now..i always have to "drop" the bar to the floor and then lift again somewhat powerlifter style, while i'm more of a bodybuilder and when i see bodybuilders deadlift they hardly ever let the weight go down to the floor?

rinse
06-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Why was LPJ in the show? Isn't he from Canada?

Terry has competed so much recently so an injurie wasn't really a huge surprise but it sucks big time.

vdizenzo
06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Big Z is still the man. Thanks for posting Tom. Yeah, blowing off biceps suck. I have tried twice now to train for a NAS contest and suffered injuries. The dumbest event I was training for was andaxle dl without straps. Stones kill my biceps also. After my bench meet is over I am going to try and learn a hook grip. I know I'll never be able to dl what I can with an over under, but at least if I ever wanted to try a full meet again I could without tearing another bicep.

Brian Hopper
06-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Congrats to Zydrunas!!!!!!