PDA

View Full Version : Ketogenic foods....?

raniali
05-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Trying to incorporate a successful CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet) into my life these days -- and have been advised to reduce my protein intake (usually 200-275g a day) and increase my fat to about 190g daily. Obviously, carbs are almost null and void. So - with that in mind....what in the hell is there to eat that fits this criteria besides meat, cheez, and pnut butter???? I hate olives and avocados - and would like to have some substance to eat besides butter, mayonnaise and salad dressing.

Another point - pnut butter can actually be a carb source so I try to minimize the amount I ingest. I love beef jerky - but I have to cut down on protein so am trying to find other foods. Anyone have any ideas? Also interested in anyone's experience with CKD.
Much thanks! :help:

Beelzebubba
05-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I don't have an answer but a question. Is the CKD the same diet used for treating epilepsy in children? If so do you guys modify it at all for weight training?

Jane
05-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Here are some foods to consider:

-all sorts of different kinds of cheese: swiss, havarti, string cheese, etc
-eggs
-steak
-sandwich-steak, egg, and cheese in a skillet :D
-hot dog
-bacon
-canned salmon, tuna, or chicken with mayonnaise
-deviled eggs
-bologna
-cream cheese
-rolled up sliced turkey, ham, roast beef etc. (watch for carb count)
-olive oil
-flax oil

Make sure to do a low carb recipe search across the net. There are TONS of websites out there with huge collections of recipes and ideas. I don't like to cook, so I stick with these basics in my fridge and can retrieve anything I like at a particular moment.

And yes, peanut butter actually has a decent bit of carbs. Make sure you're counting your carb grams correctly.

Jane
05-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Beelzebubba
I don't have an answer but a question. Is the CKD the same diet used for treating epilepsy in children? If so do you guys modify it at all for weight training?

Everything you ever needed to know about CKD:
http://www.solid.net/~homerc/

:)

Beelzebubba
05-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks Jane.
:D

raniali
05-10-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link! I guess I won't have to post any more CKD questions here.

Except one more thing ... how long have you been doing it and to what results? Do you keep carbs at "zero" for 5 days or gradually increase them?
Thanks!

Jane
05-10-2002, 01:12 PM
It's hard to say what kind of results I'm getting in numbers because I've been doing this for only three weeks. With a weekly carb up and hormonal issues, my weight fluctuates like crazy. But I am fairly confident in having lost some fat because my clothes are fitting better. Also, I have more energy and rarely get sleepy. I keep carbs to 20g or below for 6 days and take a one day carb up. Workouts suck though, so I may be changing from CKD to TKD in the near future. That would work better for my schedule and my goals, I think.

Best of luck and happy reading! :)