PDA

View Full Version : are all the accesories neccesary?

northman
06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
after reading alot of posts,talking to people and generaly paying attention,i wonder are all the belts,wraps,suits,shirts,chalk,{steriods,if it pertains to ya}etc... neccesary?i mean if you can't lift it without these things,is it really all you?rookie here so don't take offense,just curious what justifies all the stuff.

Tom Mutaffis
06-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Some of the things that you mentioned can be used to provide longevity or for safety purposes.

If you are not interested in using any equipment most powerlifting federations do offer a 'raw' division.

gmen5681
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
all the guys and gals that are lifting with the gear are strong, very very strong. its not like you put on a bench shirt and your max goes from 135 to 550. but for the people out there that dont like all the gear thats why there are RAW federations. plus you have to respect the technique involved in lifts in gear. it has to literally be near perfect or else you will miss the lift. there maybe some flaming coming your way just so you know.

northman
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
like i said rookie here,but its good to know about the raw division.i gotta say i lean more toward the raw side,but saftey first also.

northman
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
i hear ya,and yeah they are all strong.just was curious what some of the top guys and gals thought about it.

AdamBAG
06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I for one am completely sick of all these weak bastards that insist on using chalk!

Beverly McD.
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Gear is part of the sport.
You can play football without pads, cleats, helmuts etc. too. But just because you can doesn't mean you should ;)

Beverly McD.
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I for one am completely sick of all these weak bastards that insist on using chalk!
:hello:

Tom Mutaffis
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
like i said rookie here,but its good to know about the raw division.i gotta say i lean more toward the raw side,but saftey first also.

Raw lifting is quite popular right now.

Some people transition to training with equipment after muscle strains/tears, while others simply want to move more weight.

vdizenzo
06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I hate all these sackless lifters getting under 900 lb benches and 1100 lb squats with their gear. The most I have ever taken for a ride on the bench raw was 620. I have taken over 900 for a ride in a shirt. I was never scared under the 620, but 900+ in my hands scared the balls out of me. Lifting in gear is extreme and many people don't grasp that.

Pete22
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM

And belts! Cheaters.... :rolleyes:

ironwill727
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Chalk raised all of my lifts by 200+lbs each. In fact without chalk I am so weak I can not even lift a broomstick lol. And if I try to even walk down the street without a belt my back might just break in half lol.

texron
06-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Some people transition to training with equipment after muscle strains/tears, while others simply want to move more weight.

This is the exact reason I'm getting into gear right now, my 50 year old body hurts. That and it so easy to put a suit on and squat 800lbs:hello:

jbrin0tk
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
I think Vincent makes a good point. I'm getting closer and closer to benching 400lbs. raw, and I can't even imagine holding 700, 800, 900, etc. The gear may help in completion of the lift, but it does not hold the weight for you. You have to be pretty strong to do that. Also, the extreme amount of pressure that a suit or a shirt can add makes the task even more difficult.

Finally, as Beverly Mc.D. said, it's a part of the sport. They offer divisions with 1 and 2 ply gear because people enjoy competing in them. No one forces anyone to compete in them.

Are the shirts, suits, briefs, wraps, etc. necessary? No. You can lift raw if you like. That doesn't mean that people who wear gear are cheating themselves or the sport. It's just different. To each their own, right?

sbirgel
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think using chalk necessarily qualifies as an "accessory." It just makes your hands dry so the weight doesn't slip out of them :)

jbrin0tk
06-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't think using chalk necessarily qualifies as an "accessory." It just makes your hands dry so the weight doesn't slip out of them :)

I think they were joking about that.

AJ Roberts
06-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Everyone has their preference. Just lift where ever you want to and don't piss and moan cause some one else does it differently.

mastermonster
06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I hate all these sackless lifters getting under 900 lb benches and 1100 lb squats with their gear. The most I have ever taken for a ride on the bench raw was 620. I have taken over 900 for a ride in a shirt. I was never scared under the 620, but 900+ in my hands scared the balls out of me. Lifting in gear is extreme and many people don't grasp that.

Very well stated!

NickAus
06-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Yep makes it more extreme.

Which would you prefer a 1600 raw total with a 2200 geared total or a 700 raw total like most of the guys who hate geared lifting?

Anyway once have 600 sitting in your hands you'll be hooked just like the rest of us.

UHCougar05
06-24-2010, 07:55 AM
I for one am completely sick of all these weak bastards that insist on using chalk!Oh yeah? Well I heard you use wrist wraps cheater! :p

Gear is part of the sport.
You can play football without pads, cleats, helmuts etc. too. But just because you can doesn't mean you should ;)I played football without a helmet and I have no signs of dain bramage... I think. :confused: :confused:

BloodandThunder
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
I once tried squatting a bar raw.....

Not for me.... lol

northman
06-24-2010, 12:36 PM
i will say this,900#is heavy regardless of what you use unless its a fork lift.like i say,rookie at this,but i was curious what some of you thought.i would think alot of you warm up and progress to certain point before the belt and straps go on?

robchris
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
i will say this,900#is heavy regardless of what you use unless its a fork lift.like i say,rookie at this,but i was curious what some of you thought.i would think alot of you warm up and progress to certain point before the belt and straps go on?

North,
I've competed both ways and I like both... Just apples and oranges comparison thats all. I went geared because of my age and some injures accured over the years.

Plus moving more weight is a great challange and just plain d*** fun!!! :evillaugh:

I'll say this, get your raw strength up before going geared... Build a strong raw base first!
My .02,
RC

SEOINAGE
06-25-2010, 01:52 AM
I don't really get how lifting in gear is better if you have had injuries or are prone to them. I Mean I can see how a squat suit or breif can support the groin and hips to an extent, but man lifting in gear beats the crap out of me. Not to mention the extra weight you take in a bench shirt that feels like your whole body is being crushed as you lower the weight.

NickAus
06-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Bench shirts can really help if you've had a shoulder injury........

muscle_g
06-25-2010, 07:26 AM

Undoubtably your not using your chalk right;)

AdamBAG
06-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Undoubtably your not using your chalk right;)

Exactly! The chalk should always be thrown in the face of the guy most likely to beat you out for best lifter, right before his 3rd attempt squat!

Beverly McD.
06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Exactly! The chalk should always be thrown in the face of the guy most likely to beat you out for best lifter, right before his 3rd attempt squat!

NONONO! You put it in a baby powder container, then hand it to him as he's getting ready to make his third pull ;)

AdamBAG
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
NONONO! You put it in a baby powder container, then hand it to him as he's getting ready to make his third pull ;)

Leave it to an APF judge to really know how to gear whore!!!!!

:)

Beverly McD.
06-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Leave it to an APF judge to really know how to gear whore!!!!!

:)
LMAO!!! :indian:

Have a great day Adam!

mikesbench
06-26-2010, 05:30 AM
To me the gear options are kind of like racing options. You can race motorcycles, boats, cars, trucks... damn near anything that goes from point A to point B. Then even within just car racing you have NASCAR, Open Wheel, drag racing, GT Racing.... it's all interesting / exciting, just also different from each other, and some people will have strong preferences for one style over others.

Myself, I max raw in the gym very often for training, and I've considered competing raw, but it just doesn't seem like as muc fun, much less I need to do technique wise, handling less weight... I just enjoy the challenge of geared lifting more... but definitely respect top raw and single ply lifters for what they do as well.

northman
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
these bench shirts really make that big a difference?

martin
06-27-2010, 04:57 AM
these bench shirts really make that big a difference?

They can make a big difference after mastering them and years of training specifically designed to make the most out of a shirt.

They can also make the difference between a failed rep landing on your chest when raw or on your face or groin when in a shirt!

rinse
06-27-2010, 07:37 AM
nothing is neccesary. you can squat without a bar and weights also but how fun would that be:)