PDA

View Full Version : a diet to get shredded

vcjha
06-27-2010, 12:20 AM
this is my end goal:http://www.aboutmag.com/images/2008/brianw/bw8.jpg no homo even though it came from a gay magazine when I searched for brian whitacre. The guy is known for his crazy leanness and he's a natural bodybuilder. Now here's my take: there are two diets I know that known for crazy leanness, or at least have consistently worked for other people: contest diets and the acclaimed anabolic diet.

Contest diet: no brainer! every bodybuilder has to follow one in order to get shredded up. The norm for a contest diet is I think, bump up protein intake, and bump down carbs. The anabolic diet is supposed to get someone to shredded levels and some of my friends have gotten shredded over it. The only thing I would probably change is I probably would eat more lean meat instead of hamburger. Also, some people have raved over low carb diets or something different "paleo diet," Even Dr Doug McGuff, raves about it too. Only thing stopping me from retrying it: 1. I don't think I implemented it correctly and it really is a pain to meticulously follow every detail: I was measuring olive oil, and it really was a pain to make sure I was taking in the correct fat intake by guzzling shots of olive oil and eating loads of cheese. Sigh, but for my goal, I'll do whatever it takes, long as end up seeing abs like his, and definition all over my body for once, and soon. 2. After reevaluating it, the only people who really support low carb are those who have gone from obese to somewhat lean, you know, lean, but smooth all over, maybe an inch of fat. So, logic tells me to not follow them, because I want to get insanely ripped, not lean and smooth. The Or better yet: what is the norm on this forum for the diet to get shredded?

I'm trying to find answers from your replies and also your feedback from my answers, on whether they need some change or my thinking is just preposterous. So here are my answers: Wouldn't the logical choice be to follow a contest diet if I want to get ripped like Brian(actually come to think of it, he's kind of smooth in all other places, but damn his abs look better than mike "the situation."), or because I'm looking to hold my condition in year round, a contest diet is only meant for bodybuiiders and it only lasts for a weeks for a reason: it phyiscally is very draining from the body? Other than that, I'd love to know what is the regular thing to do for a wannbebig poster if insane leanness is the goal.

Behemoth
06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm trying to find answers from your replies and also your feedback from my answers, on whether they need some change or my thinking is just preposterous

This.

To put it frankly dude, you're all over the place. That dudes lean, damn lean but low calories got him there. Every boybuilder that has ever taken home a trophy, be it bantamweight, heavyweight, natural, enhanced whatever has one thing in common. They ate sub maintenance calories to get them to a show winning bodyfat. Some of them do it high carb, some low carb, some ketogenic, some carb cycle, some low fat, some high fat.

You're chasing some miracle diet in your thought process that doesn't exist. Theres 10 ways to skin a cat and just because the dude from the gay magazine got ripped using said diet, does not mean it's what you necessary should chose if you aspire to attain the same conditioning.

vcjha
06-27-2010, 05:17 PM
This.

To put it frankly dude, you're all over the place. That dudes lean, damn lean but low calories got him there. Every boybuilder that has ever taken home a trophy, be it bantamweight, heavyweight, natural, enhanced whatever has one thing in common. They ate sub maintenance calories to get them to a show winning bodyfat. Some of them do it high carb, some low carb, some ketogenic, some carb cycle, some low fat, some high fat.

You're chasing some miracle diet in your thought process that doesn't exist. Theres 10 ways to skin a cat and just because the dude from the gay magazine got ripped using said diet, does not mean it's what you necessary should chose if you aspire to attain the same conditioning.

I really wanted to know what most people on wannabebig do to get shredded, and what their opinions are on the anabolic diet or a contest diet. I've heard some people say that it's pointless to talk about a good diet when nobody even wants to adhere. They want to enjoy food while they're dieting. Well, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm willing to do what it takes. I'm trying a low calorie diet right now, but for once in my life, I actually want to see definition all over my body and abs. I'm not very successful even three weeks in. I don't even have a lot of mass.
P.S.- is brian even shredded in that pic or he just has lucky set of abs? I've heard people say that shredded abs don't look like blocks, they're flat as hell.

Behemoth
06-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I really wanted to know what most people on wannabebig do to get shredded, and what their opinions are on the anabolic diet or a contest diet. I've heard some people say that it's pointless to talk about a good diet when nobody even wants to adhere. They want to enjoy food while they're dieting. Well, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm willing to do what it takes. I'm trying a low calorie diet right now, but for once in my life, I actually want to see definition all over my body and abs. I'm not very successful even three weeks in. I don't even have a lot of mass.
P.S.- is brian even shredded in that pic or he just has lucky set of abs? I've heard people say that shredded abs don't look like blocks, they're flat as hell.

What is "the contest diet" and "the anabolic diet". I know of no diets so prodigious that they go by those names. Define them, I have zero clue what you're referring to.

Dallen Hall
06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
You continually saying "shredded" makes me think of those guys that say jacked and ripped,
guys who arent willing to pay the price and are looking for the easy, fool proof way to gain muscle.
Just my two cents.

vcjha
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
What is "the contest diet" and "the anabolic diet". I know of no diets so prodigious that they go by those names. Define them, I have zero clue what you're referring to.

Well that's a first. The contest diet is a diet only bodybuilders know and follow, usually decreasing carbs and increasing protein. The anabolic diet is kind of like atkins, in that it's high fat high protein, low carb, but has carb-ups on the weekends.

gmen5681
06-28-2010, 06:16 AM
you are coming off very pompous and arrogant just so you know. but either way i think your going to find that probably 75% of the daily posters on this website are not "ripped". and by ripped you should say things like low body fat. most of the people here are about getting bigger and stronger rather than seeing all the muscle fibers in their abs and being able to see their stomachs digest food because they have skin thinner than paper. you said that you dont have a lot of mass, well first thing is first you need to put on some muscle before you can show it off. thats kinda like going out and telling everyone you want to make your car really fast but you dont have the car yet, know what i mean?
what are some of your stats? are you already skinny but no muscle definition or are you chubby? how old are you, what is your training experience, things like that. for all we know you could be a 11 year old girl that wants to get "ripped" or you could be a 85 year old man thats really only here for the half naked pictures of Shelby Starnes on the front page. and im not being an ass, just trying to make lite of the whole thread because it feels pretty hostile in here now and i dont want your thread to get banned without answer your questions.

Joe Black
06-28-2010, 06:34 AM
For a start I would stop searching out photos of guys who are in reasonably big and in contest shape because I am gonna guess it's either not in your genetic potential to look like them naturally OR it's just too far down the line to even matter at this point. Also stop talking and do it.. I've personally done both of these, for years and at some point you just have to get your head down and stick to a plan consistently.

For example, dop this (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/elemental-fat-loss-six-weeks-to-grecian-proportions/) for 12 weeks and you're gonna get reasonably lean.

I've seen a few threads/questions by you about getting in shape and I'd take a long hard look at yourself rather than the specific plan. Do you have what it takes to get your head down, eat clean in a defecit, train hard and possibly do 4 hours cardio a week? I'm talking for 12 weeks, CONSISTENTLY.

I would start with picking the goal of getting lean - say 10% and hit that. Get lean and then start thinking about how you can get bigger.

Getting lean is HARD for most people. It requires something within to get lean and stay lean and its more crucial than the plan itself.

A question for you - have you ever followed a fat loss training and nutrition plan consistently for a period of time?

Also, have you ever been lean?

vcjha
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
For a start I would stop searching out photos of guys who are in reasonably big and in contest shape because I am gonna guess it's either not in your genetic potential to look like them naturally OR it's just too far down the line to even matter at this point. Also stop talking and do it.. I've personally done both of these, for years and at some point you just have to get your head down and stick to a plan consistently.

For example, dop this (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/elemental-fat-loss-six-weeks-to-grecian-proportions/) for 12 weeks and you're gonna get reasonably lean.

I've seen a few threads/questions by you about getting in shape and I'd take a long hard look at yourself rather than the specific plan. Do you have what it takes to get your head down, eat clean in a defecit, train hard and possibly do 4 hours cardio a week? I'm talking for 12 weeks, CONSISTENTLY.

I would start with picking the goal of getting lean - say 10% and hit that. Get lean and then start thinking about how you can get bigger.

Getting lean is HARD for most people. It requires something within to get lean and stay lean and its more crucial than the plan itself.

A question for you - have you ever followed a fat loss training and nutrition plan consistently for a period of time?

Also, have you ever been lean?

I have been surprising lean before. My abs showed pretty good flexed at one point, and at another point I had a 29 1/2 inch waist at 167 lb, but no abs showed flexed. Surprising, I wish I could do it again, but I haven't been successful. I just wanted to know what I have to do instead of being jerked around on a rabbit trail or having to search through hundreds of sites, only to be confused more. Yes, multiple times I have followed one, but sometimes results just didn't come. I wish I could clearly remember what I did for those two points, but I don't, and it makes me regret I didn't write a food journal at the time. I can't say it's accurate but I'm 160 lb right now with a 33 inch waist, a far cry from either of those points. But even I know when I finally get decent unflexed abs, that 29 inch waist can never be replicated. Or am i wrong?

Chris407
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I wish I could clearly remember what I did for those two points, but I don't, and it makes me regret I didn't write a food journal at the time.

Do you keep a food log now? If not, that would be an excellent first step. Its hard to reduce your caloric intake if you don't know what your intake is to begin with. I would recommend doing that for a couple of weeks, just eating normally so that you can establish a "maintenance intake."

gmen5681
06-28-2010, 05:52 PM
alright man im gonna let you in on a secret. dont tell too many people because if this gets out to the public everyone is gonna be more ripped than arnold was when he was throwing dead babies down every super models throat in the 70s.
step 1 - go to the grocery store
step 2 - look for 100% whole organic lima beans, sugar free cool whip, and 1 whole pig snout.
step 3 - soak the pig snout in apple vinegar for 72 straight hours, not a min longer not a min shorter.
step 4 - place the pig snout in the sun for 3 hours on a 65 degree day. (if its cloudy 4 hours)
step 5 - gentle grade 4 oz of the pig snout into a large mixing bowl.
step 6 - add 3 oz of cool whip.
step 7 - strategically place lima beans in a large 'X' pattern on top of the cool whip.
step 8 - now eat the whole thing in under 4 mins. (if you take to long you are gonna have to start all over again)

literally overnight you will have the body of a god. women will be showing up at your door step with flowers so you can bless their untainted virgin bodies.

if you find that to difficult you could possible try gaining 40 pounds of muscle by eating quality foods for about 2 years and be ok with being 10% body fat and then cutting 10 pounds to be "ripped", kinda like how every other person in the world has done it for the past 150 years or so.

seriously dude its not a top secret government conspiracy on how to look good naked. train hard and eat under maintenance. if you do that for 12 weeks, eating high carb, low carb, vegan. it doesnt matter you will get leaner and have more definition.

Off Road
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
That reminds me of an old Hardgainer Roundtable story...

(cliff notes) A power lifter named Tom ran a gym. A malnourished young boy walked in wanting to know the secrets to getting big. This kid was known as the town screw up, so nobody took him seriously. Wanting to have some fun with the kid, Tom told him to do squats and chin-ups for an hour a day (or some such nonsense). On top of that, he told the kid to eat a rare steak and "crushed grapes" for every meal (the "crushed grapes" were the secret to big gains).

Long story short...the kid did just that and made fabulous gains.

Moral of the story --LIFT BIG and EAT HEALTHY FOODS.--there are no secrets.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Do you keep a food log now? If not, that would be an excellent first step. Its hard to reduce your caloric intake if you don't know what your intake is to begin with. I would recommend doing that for a couple of weeks, just eating normally so that you can establish a "maintenance intake."

Oh man, you don't know how OCD I am with calories and macros. I measure EVERYTHING, from how much whey I put in my scoop when I had it, to measuring cereal if I ever thought of eating it, meat, vegetables, everything. That scale is used every meal, even on cheat days. I even try my best to make sure I know the calories and macro breakdown of an item I'm eating by looking it up on the internet beforehand.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
alright man im gonna let you in on a secret. dont tell too many people because if this gets out to the public everyone is gonna be more ripped than arnold was when he was throwing dead babies down every super models throat in the 70s.
step 1 - go to the grocery store
step 2 - look for 100% whole organic lima beans, sugar free cool whip, and 1 whole pig snout.
step 3 - soak the pig snout in apple vinegar for 72 straight hours, not a min longer not a min shorter.
step 4 - place the pig snout in the sun for 3 hours on a 65 degree day. (if its cloudy 4 hours)
step 5 - gentle grade 4 oz of the pig snout into a large mixing bowl.
step 6 - add 3 oz of cool whip.
step 7 - strategically place lima beans in a large 'X' pattern on top of the cool whip.
step 8 - now eat the whole thing in under 4 mins. (if you take to long you are gonna have to start all over again)

literally overnight you will have the body of a god. women will be showing up at your door step with flowers so you can bless their untainted virgin bodies.

if you find that to difficult you could possible try gaining 40 pounds of muscle by eating quality foods for about 2 years and be ok with being 10% body fat and then cutting 10 pounds to be "ripped", kinda like how every other person in the world has done it for the past 150 years or so.

seriously dude its not a top secret government conspiracy on how to look good naked. train hard and eat under maintenance. if you do that for 12 weeks, eating high carb, low carb, vegan. it doesnt matter you will get leaner and have more definition.

Look, I know it sounds strange. But come on man, I've been doing this for two years. This month is the first time I've been dipping below 1800 calories, and still no abs yet. That's why I've been trying to find out what you guys do. I need specifics u know? It's not as simple as a caloric deficit with clean food, otherwise I would be RIPPED by now. It's just not working, which is why I'm on here.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
That reminds me of an old Hardgainer Roundtable story...

(cliff notes) A power lifter named Tom ran a gym. A malnourished young boy walked in wanting to know the secrets to getting big. This kid was known as the town screw up, so nobody took him seriously. Wanting to have some fun with the kid, Tom told him to do squats and chin-ups for an hour a day. On top of that, he told the kid to eat a rare steak and "crushed grapes" for every meal.

Long story short...the kid did just that and made fabulous gains...

Moral of the story is...LIFT BIG and EAT HEALTHY FOODS...there are no secrets.

Same here, I wish it was that simple. I wish I could lift 3-4 days a week, and have a decent caloric deficit, and somehow abs would appear. But I've tried it and it hasn't happened yet. I'm still going at it, still trying, hoping they will appear.

Off Road
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Same here, I wish it was that simple. I wish I could lift 3-4 days a week, and have a decent caloric deficit, and somehow abs would appear. But I've tried it and it hasn't happened yet. I'm still going at it, still trying, hoping they will appear.

Did you know that Steve Reeves, one of the greatest all time pre-steroid era bodybuilders, couldn't get any abs to pop out either. Quit stressing over it :indian:

vcjha
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I go by BMR for maintenance calories, and also, I forgot to add, the calculator and the scale are two things I use the most in the kitchen, aside from the dishes and the utensils. I remember it got so bad, that back when I was on the anabolic diet, I cooked the patties...THEN POURED BACK ALL THE OIL DRAINED BACK INTO MY DISH, to get the fat I needed.

Chris407
06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
If you're eating 1800 calories and not losing weight it sounds like there might be something wrong with your metabolism.

Its possible that after two years of dieting you've really shut your metabolism down. In that case you might benefit from spending a while working your calories back up and trying to add some quality muscle mass. Or it could be a medical problem. Have you had your thyroid function checked?

Best of luck.

gmen5681
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
yes it is as simple as hard training and a caloric deficit. maybe you dont have any abs to show because your 160 lbs. im not saying its easy with training and eating right but that IS what it takes. i cant even think of anything else that would even do it. do you think pro bodybuilders are doing something other than that for pre-contest? if you have been doing 1800 calories with hard training for 2 years and you dont see results then you are lying to yourself. i mean this in as little dis respect as possible but right now when i think of you is a 160 lbs 8th grader that has literally zero body mass.
look at the crazy 110 lbs africans that run like 3000 miles a day or whatever they do. they dont have crazy "check out my ****ing abs" abs. they are just straight skinny, and thats because they have no body mass. it doesnt matter if you are -4% body fat. if you dont got mass under the skin you arent gonna see anything other than bones.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Did you know that Steve Reeves, one of the greatest all time pre-steroid era bodybuilders, couldn't get any abs to pop out either. Quit stressing over it :indian:
ouch off-road that hit hard.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
If you're eating 1800 calories and not losing weight it sounds like there might be something wrong with your metabolism.

Its possible that after two years of dieting you've really shut your metabolism down. In that case you might benefit from spending a while working your calories back up and trying to add some quality muscle mass. Or it could be a medical problem. Have you had your thyroid function checked?

Best of luck.

Yep good advice. I guess it's back to bulking.

vcjha
06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
yes it is as simple as hard training and a caloric deficit. maybe you dont have any abs to show because your 160 lbs. im not saying its easy with training and eating right but that IS what it takes. i cant even think of anything else that would even do it. do you think pro bodybuilders are doing something other than that for pre-contest? if you have been doing 1800 calories with hard training for 2 years and you dont see results then you are lying to yourself. i mean this in as little dis respect as possible but right now when i think of you is a 160 lbs 8th grader that has literally zero body mass.
look at the crazy 110 lbs africans that run like 3000 miles a day or whatever they do. they dont have crazy "check out my ****ing abs" abs. they are just straight skinny, and thats because they have no body mass. it doesnt matter if you are -4% body fat. if you dont got mass under the skin you arent gonna see anything other than bones.

OWWWWW WHY DID YOU HAVE TO HURT MY EYES?! Of course I didn't mean the whole year. I only started doing this for a month. Alright then time to concentrate back on bulking. Which I concentrated on two months ago.

greemah
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Look, I know it sounds strange. But come on man, I've been doing this for two years. This month is the first time I've been dipping below 1800 calories, and still no abs yet. That's why I've been trying to find out what you guys do. I need specifics u know? It's not as simple as a caloric deficit with clean food, otherwise I would be RIPPED by now. It's just not working, which is why I'm on here.

I've you've been on those low levels of calories for a while you may have screwed your metabolism as Chris407 said. Happened to me a while back too, I was on less than 2000cal for a few months and got so sick of not loosing any more fat that I decided to do a slow bulk.. bumped calories up to 2300 and a week later I had lost weight. So try that and see if you notice a difference, by the sound of it you don't have much to loose

chevelle2291
06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
V, you also may not have abs because you don't train them either enough and/or heavy. Try weighted decline crunches, weighted leg raises (wrap a dip belt around your ankles with weight), weighted planks, weighted bicycle crunches, dragon flags, etc.

vcjha
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
I've you've been on those low levels of calories for a while you may have screwed your metabolism as Chris407 said. Happened to me a while back too, I was on less than 2000cal for a few months and got so sick of not loosing any more fat that I decided to do a slow bulk.. bumped calories up to 2300 and a week later I had lost weight. So try that and see if you notice a difference, by the sound of it you don't have much to loose

Yeah I can't tell you how much BF I've got to lose because it's not accurate but I used to be able to grab a handful of fat without even trying on my stomach. Now I really have to get in there to grab a handful. I'm not smooth but not ripped yet. Definitely a bulk is a good idea.

vcjha
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
V, you also may not have abs because you don't train them either enough and/or heavy. Try weighted decline crunches, weighted leg raises (wrap a dip belt around your ankles with weight), weighted planks, weighted bicycle crunches, dragon flags, etc.

The reason why I don't do exercises is because of one thing: after eating 2100 cal and doing exercises for two weeks, my waist increased three inches. Granted my stomach was hard now, but it didn't look good.

chevelle2291
06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
The reason why I don't do exercises is because of one thing: after eating 2100 cal and doing exercises for two weeks, my waist increased three inches. Granted my stomach was hard now, but it didn't look good.

So you don't do any ab exercises whatsoever? I don't really understand this post, could you clarify?

vcjha
06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
So you don't do any ab exercises whatsoever? I don't really understand this post, could you clarify?

I don't do it because it makes my stomach protrude out more, granted not as big as gh gut, but it gets nearly there. I know it sounds corny as hell, but it happened to me, and there's nothing better to learn from than your own experience.

Mercuryblade
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't do it because it makes my stomach protrude out more, granted not as big as gh gut, but it gets nearly there. I know it sounds corny as hell, but it happened to me, and there's nothing better to learn from than your own experience.

Unless you are some crazy ridiculous genetic freak, that didn't happen and is all in your head.

Sorry, muscles just don't grow that fast, and if they do then you most likely need to go see a doctor because you probably have one some kind of disease.

vcjha
06-30-2010, 02:22 AM
Unless you are some crazy ridiculous genetic freak, that didn't happen and is all in your head.

Sorry, muscles just don't grow that fast, and if they do then you most likely need to go see a doctor because you probably have one some kind of disease.

See your avatar pic? now extend your gut one inch out and remove all the sixpack lines. That's what happened to my gut.

Jayfive
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
See your avatar pic? now extend your gut one inch out and remove all the sixpack lines. That's what happened to my gut.

How much did you work your abs? Was your diet the same? How fast did it fade?

To me, that sounds like you were just bloated. If not bloated then your abs were inflamed and swollen from being worked hard. If your abs suddenly got huge then you would have had abs at that point, unless you were very fat.

Also, at what point are you going to stop making excuses? I've read this entire thread and it seems like you really want abs so why are you being such a wuss about working them. My advice to you is to check you thyroid as well. If you are being 100% truthful, then you may have thyroid problems.

Other than that, put some muscle on before you try to get abs. Abs are muscles. They need to be worked like muscles. You don't see many threads here about someone trying to show their back or pecs or tris off but they want to do it without working them.

Mercuryblade
06-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Maybe it was gas/bloating?

I'm an ex-chubby kid and have all kinds of body dysmorphia issues. I'll have people left and right tell me how good I look, and there are days when I just look in the mirror and still see the same twiggy-armed big-gut kid I used to be.
Don't discount the power of your own suggestion, I can almost guaruntee it's all in your head. There is a reason why drug trials need placebos.

If you are still thoroughly convinced of this, run an experiment. Take your current measurements in a few areas around your abdomen, along with some photos right now, as a baseline. Do some ab workouts for a few weeks, and then re-measure the same areas and retake photos.

depotman
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Are we sure this dude is not just a troll?

Because seriously he has some pretty dense questions and statements.

chevelle2291
06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Are we sure this dude is not just a troll?

Because seriously he has some pretty dense questions and statements.

He's not a very entertaining troll then...

Off Road
06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
He's not a troll. He's just a young OCD guy that needs a lot of time to figure things out for himself.

vcjha
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
He's not a troll. He's just a young OCD guy that needs a lot of time to figure things out for himself.

That's why I'm on here. I think I've figured it out for now. That bulking thing was good advice. My waist didn't increase but I see more definition all of a sudden after three days. No, I'm not a troll. I'm not looking for an emotional response and I'm not looking to get people angry. Half of the people you guys think are trolls are not, you haven't met a real troll yet. Alan Aragon might as well be a troll but he is one for a good purpose: he'doesn't mind exploiting people on tmuscle for their use of anaconda and he doesn't mind angering people by saying he'll eat apple jacks for post workout. But a real troll is someone who goes on the bodybuilding forums to get a rise out of someone, example I remember this clearly: it was someone from men's health who said all bodybuilders who step on stage are gay in some way. Man, I wanted to flame him so bad, but 30 other people already got on his nuts and started cussing him out.

Mercuryblade
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I think I've figured it out for now. That bulking thing was good advice. My waist didn't increase but I see more definition all of a sudden after three days.

You definitely have some dysmorphia, and you have to check yourself or it can consume you. Just a forewarning, coming from personal experience.

vcjha
07-01-2010, 09:31 PM
You definitely have some dysmorphia, and you have to check yourself or it can consume you. Just a forewarning, coming from personal experience.

I wish I could say I do, but I know it's only some definition. I'm not mad at my body to the point I obsess over it. But now I know such a thing exists, if becomes too bad, I'll take up your advice. This is psychological correct? But apart from that, most of us won't stop working out or trying to eat better even if we reach our goals (:

brihead301
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
The big secret to getting shredded:

Lift weights consistently for 5 years. Make sure you are training HARD for those 5 years. Do not skip workouts. Make every workout slightly more difficult then the previous one, either by increasing weight, reps, overall volume, or decreasing rest time. Eat enough food so that you 1.) are able to recover from each workout, 2.) are recovered enough to be able to train harder the next workout, 3.) have enough left over after recovery to spur growth.

Do that for 5 years.

Then, cut by continuing to lift hard and heavy, but altering your diet so that you are losing weight. Continue cutting, until you are at a very low bodyfat. There are a number of diets to follow during the cutting phase, but the main things are 1.) Consume less calories then you expend each day, 2.) keep the protien intake to 1 - 1.5 grams/lb. of lean body weight, 3.) make up the rest of the calories with fat and carbs.

That's the secret to getting shredded.

Joe Black
07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
The big secret to getting shredded:

Lift weights consistently for 5 years. Make sure you are training HARD for those 5 years. Do not skip workouts. Make every workout slightly more difficult then the previous one, either by increasing weight, reps, overall volume, or decreasing rest time. Eat enough food so that you 1.) are able to recover from each workout, 2.) are recovered enough to be able to train harder the next workout, 3.) have enough left over after recovery to spur growth.

Do that for 5 years.

Then, cut by continuing to lift hard and heavy, but altering your diet so that you are losing weight. Continue cutting, until you are at a very low bodyfat. There are a number of diets to follow during the cutting phase, but the main things are 1.) Consume less calories then you expend each day, 2.) keep the protien intake to 1 - 1.5 grams/lb. of lean body weight, 3.) make up the rest of the calories with fat and carbs.

That's the secret to getting shredded.

Very well said!!

vcjha
07-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Very well said!!

Yep, I've already gotten help from Alan, and am only a step away from constructing a diet for me. It will be a combination of j, hyaducks, mike ohearn, and kelechi opara's diet. Their diets are simple, but hard to follow. That's the answer I was looking for. After alot of research and looking through websites, I've come to one conclusion: nobody ever posts a simple diet on a forum because alot of people do not have the discipline to eat the same thing day in and day out. Well, I'm not one of them, and it also is VERY CHEAP to put together a diet that has only a few items. I already know that most of you would never eat chicken, rice, and protein powder, day in and day out, 365 days a year, or at least I think so. But once again, their diets are simple and cheap, and I don't need taste in my life, if I end up with an incredible body.

Dallen Hall
07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
That's why I'm on here. I think I've figured it out for now. That bulking thing was good advice. My waist didn't increase but I see more definition all of a sudden after three days. No, I'm not a troll. I'm not looking for an emotional response and I'm not looking to get people angry. Half of the people you guys think are trolls are not, you haven't met a real troll yet. Alan Aragon might as well be a troll but he is one for a good purpose: he'doesn't mind exploiting people on tmuscle for their use of anaconda and he doesn't mind angering people by saying he'll eat apple jacks for post workout. But a real troll is someone who goes on the bodybuilding forums to get a rise out of someone, example I remember this clearly: it was someone from men's health who said all bodybuilders who step on stage are gay in some way. Man, I wanted to flame him so bad, but 30 other people already got on his nuts and started cussing him out.

Your not going to see definition in three days.

tom183
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I already know that most of you would never eat chicken, rice, and protein powder, day in and day out, 365 days a year,

Please tell me that this is not your plan.

vcjha
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Your not going to see definition in three days.

This is what happened. I hate to say it did, because that means my ego to lift more frequently only did damage. But I am learning. My body grows when I don't train too frequently. 3-4 days is a good frequency.

vcjha
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Please tell me that this is not your plan.
It could be. why what's wrong with it?

seK
07-02-2010, 11:24 PM

If that's all you ate you would die.

vcjha
07-03-2010, 02:26 AM
If that's all you ate you would die.

I guess I could I could add some other things. Mike ate fish and vegetables, Kelechi stuck with egg whites, oatmeal, whey protein, and tilapia, josh rolls with almond butter, oatmeal and ntirotech. But they keep it really simple, and it goes to show the most simple diets with the hardest training yield the best physiques.

Off Road
07-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Somebody actually told you to pick 3 or 4 foods (and nothing else) and eat them every day? Somebody actually told you that it was the secret to a high quality physique? And you believed them?

vcjha
07-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Somebody actually told you to pick 3 or 4 foods (and nothing else) and eat them every day? Somebody actually told you that it was the secret to a high quality physique? And you believed them?

Nobody told me. Most of the best bodybuilders follow a very simple diet. They show their diets and I put together the pieces. Honestly do you think it makes a difference musclew-wise and aethetics-wise whether we eat from a few foods or a variety of foods if the selection of food is high quality and natural?

seK
07-03-2010, 05:01 PM
It is very dependent on the actual foods you pick, your body needs more than just chicken, rice, and protein powder.

My only concern is that from the comments and post you have written you (imo) do not have a firm enough grasp to properly supplement a diet such as that.

tom183
07-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Aside from the fact that you will die?

vcjha
07-06-2010, 02:02 AM
It is very dependent on the actual foods you pick, your body needs more than just chicken, rice, and protein powder.

My only concern is that from the comments and post you have written you (imo) do not have a firm enough grasp to properly supplement a diet such as that.

sorry for the late reply. July 4 and July 5 break. Hmm, so you're telling me that all the natural bodybuilders who follow simple diets will soon die? It's not a challenge and from other friends telling me, you may be right. Most bodybuilders do not have a great lifespan. The very requirements of bodybuilding: shedding water, and dipping down to shred as much fat as possible, have caused a good number of bodybuilders a trip to the hospital. Then again, I'm not stepping on stage. This is your reply also Tom.

tom183
07-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Hmm, so you're telling me that all the natural bodybuilders who follow simple diets will soon die?

Can you provide evidence of any bodybuilder following such a diet? There's a big difference between simple and deficient.

brihead301
07-06-2010, 07:11 AM
You don't have to just eat 3 - 4 foods. Honestly, as far as your body composition goes, the important things are:

1.) Total caloric intake
2.) macro breakdown

The first is the most important thing in weight loss/gain, as taking in less calories then you expend each day will cause you to lose weight, and taking in more calories then you expend will cause you to gain weight.

As for the second, just focus on 1 - 1.5 grams of protien per lb. of lean bodyweight, and get the rest of your calories from healthy fat and carbs.

It's not complicated at all in theory - lift weights consistently, and eat right (per guidelines above). The hardest part is sticking with the training and dieting for several years, which is what will yeild the results you are looking for.

Off Road
07-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with you 100% Bri. The only problem with that is, it doesn't sound like a "Super-Secret" way to do things :)

vcjha
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.simplyshredded.com/josh-hyaduck-2010.html

Here is an example of my diet at the moment:

Meal 1

* 1 Scoop MuscleTech Nitro-Tech
* 3/4 Cup Oats
* 1 Tablespoon Almond Butter

Meal 2

* 8 Egg Whites
* 3/4 Cup Oats

Meal 3

* Pre-Workout – 1 Scoop MuscleTech NanoVapor
* Intra-Workout – 1 Scoop MuscleTech IntraVol
* Post-Workout – 1 Scoop MuscleTech Nitro-Tech, 1 Scoop MuscleTech Anabolic Halo

Meal 4

* 6oz Chicken Breast
* 1/2 Cup Oats

Meal 5

* 6oz Chicken Breast
* 1/2 Cup Oats

Meal 6

* 6oz Chicken Breast

Meal 7

* 1 1/2 Scoops MuscleTech Nitro-Tech

http://www.mikeohearn.com/2010/05/21-inch-arms-naturally-with-mike-%E2%80%9Ctitan%E2%80%9D-o%E2%80%99hearn/

MO: Sure.

Meal 1
12 ounces baked salmon
1 cup white rice
Multivitamin
Fat-burners
Vitamin C
Vitamin E

Meal 2
12 ounces baked chicken
1 cup oatmeal
Branched-chain amino acids
Multivitamin
Vitamin C

Workout

Meal 3
8 ounces steak
1 cup rice
1 cup broccoli
L-glutamine
Multivitamin
Vitamin C

Meal 4
Chicken salad with 8 ounces
chicken, no dressing—I use
lemon.
No supplements

Meal 5
8 ounces steak
1 cup asparagus
Multivitamin

Meal 6
16 ounces salmon
L-glutamine
HTP
Calcium-magnesium-zinc

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_image_performance/countdown_to_first_contest?id=1609763&pageNo=3

This is the meal plan I started following wed last week (I went from my usual 6 to 8). By the end of the week I will ramp it up to 9 then by early next week 10 per day. My plan is to increase carb intake, however stop after 2 pm and Increase good fat intake?.taking the bulk of it from 3 pm onward.

Grilled Chicken breast marinated (for 2 hours) in balsamic vinegar /olive oil with oregano (this came out better than i thought!) and tapia are whats on the menu this week. I prepare my meals for the entire week on sunday

4:30 am champion whey protein shake 2 scoops

7:30 am 11 egg whites cup of oatmeal

10:30 am grilled chicken breast with 1 sweet potato

1:30 pm 2 scoops of champion whey protein

3:30 pm 2 fillet tapia or orange roughy

6:00 pm 2 scoops champion whey before gym
7:30 pm 2 scoops champion whey

9:00 pm 11 egg whites / 4 caps flame out

vcjha
07-06-2010, 06:49 PM
You don't have to just eat 3 - 4 foods. Honestly, as far as your body composition goes, the important things are:

1.) Total caloric intake
2.) macro breakdown

The first is the most important thing in weight loss/gain, as taking in less calories then you expend each day will cause you to lose weight, and taking in more calories then you expend will cause you to gain weight.

As for the second, just focus on 1 - 1.5 grams of protien per lb. of lean bodyweight, and get the rest of your calories from healthy fat and carbs.

It's not complicated at all in theory - lift weights consistently, and eat right (per guidelines above). The hardest part is sticking with the training and dieting for several years, which is what will yeild the results you are looking for.

It's just probably easier for me and way cheaper for me too. Though my interest has been peaked for low carb. Does it work? Alot of studies rave about low carb. Is it true?

vcjha
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree with you 100% Bri. The only problem with that is, it doesn't sound like a "Super-Secret" way to do things :)

Nope, no secret but I've definitely found one I can follow. Yeah, it's just a few foods, but with little money, hey what can you do?