PDA

View Full Version : *VIDEO* ME-Squats, 6-28-10

Brian Hopper
06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I haven't squatted heavy raw for a 1rm in a LONG time, so I decided to squat raw today and get an idea of where i'm at. I am planning on competing raw at the APF/AAPF Georgia State meet that Jon Grove and NGBB are hosting on September 11th.

After watching the video, i'm going to work on maybe bringing my stance in a little bit, maybe carrying the bar higher, and trying out different shoes.

11 weeks out
nlGWn8zuwK8

ThomasG
06-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Good stuff, speed on the 510 looked really good. You're gonna have some crazy doms tomorrow haha. How often do you train suited when preparing for a raw comp?

Travis Bell
06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Crazy strong Brian! I look forward to seeing how you do

Competing raw every once in awhile is a lot of fun

Is it just me, or are you leaning a bit far forward when comming up with the bar?

Brian Hopper
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Good stuff, speed on the 510 looked really good. You're gonna have some crazy doms tomorrow haha. How often do you train suited when preparing for a raw comp?

Thanks!!!!!

This is my first raw meet, and I don't plan on suiting up until after the meet.

Brian Hopper
06-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Crazy strong Brian! I look forward to seeing how you do

Competing raw every once in awhile is a lot of fun

Is it just me, or are you leaning a bit far forward when comming up with the bar?

Thanks Travis!!!!

No, you're right. I'm leaning to far forward because i'm use to sitting back on a box and it was throwing me off. I'm gonna focus on sitting more down and try wearing a different style shoe.

I'm hoping I can get it figured out in the next 10-11 weeks.

shocker4221
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Brian,

How long have you been lifting? Reason I ask is because I've always worked out on most body parts off and on with the exception of squat and deadlift but i'm changing that and am hopeful i'm not too much over the hill at 35.

mastermonster
06-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Great squat W/O Brian! Looking forward to seeing you at the meet!

NickAus
06-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Solid squats Tank!!

SELK
06-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Nice squats! looking strong.. I think you could actually try riding the bar lower and arching harder.. but I am not a good raw squatter so don't take my advice haha.

Brian Hopper
06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Brian,

How long have you been lifting? Reason I ask is because I've always worked out on most body parts off and on with the exception of squat and deadlift but i'm changing that and am hopeful i'm not too much over the hill at 35.

I've been lifting for about 13 years. I powerlifted from 2000-2002 and took time off and came back in 08-09.

Brian Hopper
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Great squat W/O Brian! Looking forward to seeing you at the meet!

Thanks Buddy, i'm looking forward to seeing you guys also!!!! It should be a fun meet, I heard Tommy and some others from TBB are doing it also.

Solid squats Tank!!

Thanks Nick!!!

Nice squats! looking strong.. I think you could actually try riding the bar lower and arching harder.. but I am not a good raw squatter so don't take my advice haha.

Thanks SELK, I'm going to try different things and see what's most comfortable. I still have plenty of time to work out some issues.

BloodandThunder
06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Good stuff man. I definitely think a narrower stance will help, maybe even try a heel to help out of the hole.

Brian Hopper
06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks!!!! I'm going to start working on that. I don't have money for any olympic style shows, but i'm going to see what I can find, Thanks again.

ScottYard
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Narrower stance, Closer grip, and olympic shoes go wonders for a raw squat. Also keep your head up. Once in the hole look up and youll move faster. Its also really important to hit depth on each rep. No need to go high with out a suit on. This was the hardest part for me. Hit depth on every rep. Focus on depth and technique and the pounds will come. Raw guys get judged harder b/c its easier to clearly see depth. Its a totally different movment that what your used to so dont get caught up in weight right now.

YOu can get olym shoes for around 60 bucks at VS athletics.

Good luck man. You will really like it.

Brian Hopper
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Narrower stance, Closer grip, and olympic shoes go wonders for a raw squat. Also keep your head up. Once in the hole look up and youll move faster. Its also really important to hit depth on each rep. No need to go high with out a suit on. This was the hardest part for me. Hit depth on every rep. Focus on depth and technique and the pounds will come. Raw guys get judged harder b/c its easier to clearly see depth. Its a totally different movment that what your used to so dont get caught up in weight right now.

YOu can get olym shoes for around 60 bucks at VS athletics.

Good luck man. You will really like it.

Thanks Scott, i'll work on that next time I squat!!!! I'll also check those shoes out, I was just gonna try wearing some of my old work boots or an old pair of Nike's. Thanks again Scott, I appreciate it!!!!

Ben F Burgess
06-29-2010, 12:15 PM
x2 on the forward lean due to so much box squatting...

I also think you are really feeling the weight down slowly, again a hangover from the box squatting. When i ditched the box and went back to full raw sqs i eventually found a significant benefit from dropping a bit quicker and using the stretch refelex in your hip flexors...you cant do this on a box obviously so it takes a while before it feels natural but it can defo help.

Brian Hopper
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
x2 on the forward lean due to so much box squatting...

I also think you are really feeling the weight down slowly, again a hangover from the box squatting. When i ditched the box and went back to full raw sqs i eventually found a significant benefit from dropping a bit quicker and using the stretch refelex in your hip flexors...you cant do this on a box obviously so it takes a while before it feels natural but it can defo help.

Thanks Ben, I'll try to work on that also. Yesterday was trial and error, that's why I taped it so I can look back and also have others watch it so they can help me out. Thanks again for the advice, I will definitley work on that as well.