PDA

View Full Version : Protein shakes dilemma.....

zahmed
06-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi newbie here,
I have been lifting for about 6 months and have started to drink protein shakes only post workout. I am thinking of drinking my shake everyday (as it says on the instructions!) in order to bulk up. I was just wondering if I did drink a shake everyday & did bulk up, would I have to continue drinking a shake everyday to maintain the bulk? Or can I stop drinking so regular & still keep the weight/muscle?
Many thanks for any help on this
Cheers

Joe Black
06-30-2010, 04:35 AM
To be honest, I think you are expecting too much from a protein shake.

Bulking up requires an excess of calories over a prolonged period of time - the addition of a daily protein shake isn't going to bulk you up. Because they contain mosyl protein, the overall calories in many of them come in around 100 calories which is pretty small.

Don't get me wrong, when trying to gain weight using a protein shake is a good idea, to help keep protein high and particularly during post workout... But if you think simply adding one is going to allow you to bulk up, you're going to be disaapointed.

Here are two very good articles related to eating for size, check them out

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/eating-optimally-for-massive-size-and-strength/

Also if bulking is your goal, consider taking creatine too.

zahmed
06-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Daniel thanks for the reply,
I'm abit confused now because from what I have learned so far is in order to increase mass you must increase your normal calorie intake by around 500 calories (= protein shake) on top of what you already eat. Are you saying this will not help me increase my muscle mass combined with training? The main thing I wanted to know is if I did gain the weight by eating the extra calories would i then lose the weight gained if I stopped the extra calories?
Thanks

Joe Black
06-30-2010, 05:21 AM
You're on the right track.

Assuming you are maintaining your bodyweight at the moment, yes increasing your calorie intake should see you gain weight (assuming your overall activity in a given week roughly stays the same).

500 calories is a good amount to start with and if your protein shake is 500 calories (if it is it's more likely a weight gainer than a pure protein powder) then that's fine.

The reason I was sceptical because some people seem to think that the addition of a protein shake to what they are currently doing (many may be under-eating or training wrong) will help them beef up and also protein powders in general do not contain 500 calories. Most contain around 100-120 and then you can get meal replacements and weight gainers which range from 250+ right thorugh to 1000+ for the big weight gainers. It sounds as if a meal replacement is going to be your best bet. Take Opticen (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=2) for example, it contains 372 calories when mixed with water. throw in some whole fat milk and you're right there at 500.

If you drop calories again, your weight will most likely drop off again although from a body compsition point of view, if you do it slowly this will be fat loss rather than muscle loss. It's quite usual for people to go through cycles of putting on weight (need to be in calorie surplus) to gain muscle mass and then losing weight (need to be in a calorie deficit) to reduce body fat.

Hope that helps. The bulk vs cut article has a really good approach to reaching your ideal bodyweight.

zahmed
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention im using Maximuscle Progain (2 scoops = 500 calories)
I am a 'hard gainer' with not much body fat so am guessing if I bulk then drop calories I am going to lose muscle, I guess i'm not too keen on the idea of drinking a shake everyday in order to stay a certain weight the danger being if I stop one day all the gains will slowly go
Anyway thank you for the advice & i'll try my best to achieve my ideal weight

sallsbury
07-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Protein shake.Quite good suggestion for body building.I love the chocolate flavour in that shakes.This protein drink contains 35 grams in one can and tastes delicious.