PDA

View Full Version : should powerliftingwatch be renamed to RAWpowerliftingwatch?

1400total
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Sorry if this post was already done, I didn't see anything like this.

So most of the coverage being given to meets has been centered around raw lifting and some single ply lifting. The absence of any type of coverage for the recent IPA meet makes me wonder if powerlifting watch has limited its reporting.

If so I think thats a shame.

Travis Bell
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I would agree, most recently it's been pretty dominated by raw coverage, which I suppose stands to reason as Eric is a raw lifter so that's where I'm sure the majority of his interest lie.

Only one I can see really about multiply seems to be Bill Crawford's recent 881

On the flip side though, PLW seems to be unplugged from the multiply dominant feds all together as there was some pretty impressive raw lifting at the IPA worlds that has yet to be covered either.

Either way, if you browse around enough you're always able to find out meet results faster . It is what it is. Eric is running his site the best way he sees fit

vdizenzo
06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
I find myself going there less and less. It's a shame, John had that place hopping. I have no problem with Eric, but the site seems to be dying and traffic appears to be way down.

drew
07-01-2010, 06:03 AM
The first problem was not allowing anonymous posters anymore. Sure we can't stand all the haters that sit behind computer screens and bash lifts, but in reality that generates a lot of discussion and a lot of traffic.

The second problem I've noticed is they stick mostly to posting meet results and usually for federation or weight class records that are great for the people achieving them, but pretty meaningless to the rest of us. It's annoying to go there and see "So and so sets new all time bench record" only to find out that it's some guy nobody has ever heard of setting a masters 165 bench record in the USAPL. The post about Crawford is probably the best thing on there since the change in management. It's a shame, that used to be a good place to read the PL news and it's gone downhill so fast.

GCPowerlifter
07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
yeah, i've posted about this on another forum. Nothing against eric, i think he is trying to be unbaised, but the site has taken a major step back IMO. Say what you want about Jon, but he used to comb the net and have updates every half hour or so with training vids, meet results, articles, debates, ect. Now the site is pretty dead. I can look at it twice a week and not miss anything worth reading. That site used to keep me entertained at work, now, not so much.

Lones Green
07-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Doesn't seem like its updated half as much as it used to be. If its impressive lifting, I don't care if its raw, single, or multi ply, but like Travis said, surely there were newsworthy performances at IPA worlds. It's just not on PLwatch

I agree its gone downhill

Travis Bell
07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
The first problem was not allowing anonymous posters anymore. Sure we can't stand all the haters that sit behind computer screens and bash lifts, but in reality that generates a lot of discussion and a lot of traffic.

Myself, I would disagree with this part (rest of your post I could not agree more)

The anonymous posters generated a lot of stupid drama and agitation on that site. I hardly if ever post there mostly because of that.

akick
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Doesn't seem like its updated half as much as it used to be. If its impressive lifting, I don't care if its raw, single, or multi ply, but like Travis said, surely there were newsworthy performances at IPA worlds. It's just not on PLwatch

I agree its gone downhill

It seemed like so many lifters (geared lifters especially) bombed out in the squats, or had record attempt squats red-lighted, that there weren't any particularly impressive lifts or totals to speak of. There could have been, but the judging was strict, strict, strict.

I know I witnessed three record attempt squatters (from MA, to weight class, to all-time records attempts) get reds - in some cases on all three squat attempts. I was roaming around between warm-up room to the platform, and was only there on Sunday, but I've heard that guys were getting bombed out left and right on both days (7 on Saturday, I believe? Unsure of Sunday)

MarcusWild
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Jon setup RSS feeds to top lifter training logs. He was actively looking for news to post. Eric seems to sit back and wait for submissions. Apparently, raw lifters submit a lot more stuff.

AdamBAG
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Jon setup RSS feeds to top lifter training logs. He was actively looking for news to post. Eric seems to sit back and wait for submissions. Apparently, raw lifters submit a lot more stuff.

We can't squat low enough to reach the keyboard in our suits. :)

UHCougar05
07-01-2010, 01:02 PM
We can't squat low enough to reach the keyboard in our suits. :)Three Words: Overspeed Eccentrics Typing

You ever try to type with two blues and a green per side? It's like 880 WPM at the top... :eek:

Beverly McD.
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Three Words: Overspeed Eccentrics Typing

You ever try to type with two blues and a green per side? It's like 880 WPM at the top... :eek:

Come on guys! Try putting a little chalk on your hands and see if that helps :evillaugh:

UHCougar05
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Come on guys! Try putting a little chalk on your hands and see if that helps :evillaugh:The last time I asked Adam for chalk, he tossed it in my eyes and made the keyboard slip out of my hand. I'm not sure why anyone would keep chalk in a container marked "baby powder" but he's weird like that. :zipit:

ScottYard
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Three Words: Overspeed Eccentrics Typing

LOL

Thats was funny.

AdamBAG
07-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I love the smartass level of this thread.

MarcusWild
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Try typing and using a mouse in a bench shirt.

AdamBAG
07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Try typing and using a mouse in a bench shirt.

I wear a bench shirt to work all the time, but only to protect the shoulders.

UHCougar05
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I wear a bench shirt to work all the time, but only to protect the shoulders.If you were wearing a loose EHPHD I could see it, but you're wearing a pimped out scoop-neck Rage-X with the sleeves shortened. Only protecting the shoulders my ass,we all know you're using to artificially improve your mouse speed. :p ;)

chris mason
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I think he has a bias towards raw, but will cover the multi-ply meets as well. I guarantee he will promote the Pro-AM.

drbill
07-05-2010, 07:10 AM
There has been quite a bit of RAW coverage but he did post results and vids of the IPA bench on the Boards last month...

ACaslow
07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Like most of you, I don't visit the site as much anymore. Maybe a couple times a week now instead of daily.

But one thing we can't forget is, the site is free. It's now sort of "Eric's Blog." So it's tough to bitch about what belongs to someone else.

We'll have to wait and see how the advertising and support remains for the site.

pwr watch
07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I would agree, most recently it's been pretty dominated by raw coverage, which I suppose stands to reason as Eric is a raw lifter so that's where I'm sure the majority of his interest lie.

Only one I can see really about multiply seems to be Bill Crawford's recent 881

On the flip side though, PLW seems to be unplugged from the multiply dominant feds all together as there was some pretty impressive raw lifting at the IPA worlds that has yet to be covered either.

Either way, if you browse around enough you're always able to find out meet results faster . It is what it is. Eric is running his site the best way he sees fit

Hello everyone,
Our goal at Powerliftting Watch is to grow the sport of powerlifting, plain and simple. We are attempting to cover all avenues of lifting, from raw to multi ply lifting. We can not do this without your help.
See something we missed?
Please let us know.
Thank you