PDA

View Full Version : Rich Franklin trains like a beast.

PhxdB
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
cq7Kdv0RHmc

You don't think this is overtraining?

chevelle2291
06-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Moar of the hot chick.

Edit: I really wasn't that impressed. I'm pretty sure I could do nonstop machine work for an hour. That stuff isn't too taxing cardio-wise or CNS wise.

I mean, ez curls and the inner thigh machine? I woulda thought Rich would have trained with more free weights. I was hoping to see nonstop, high-rep squats, deads, and overhead press. Disappointed...

Lones Green
07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I saw this on TV awhile back.

Mike is a real hardass, and so is Rich

mchicia1
07-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Moar of the hot chick.

Edit: I really wasn't that impressed. I'm pretty sure I could do nonstop machine work for an hour. That stuff isn't too taxing cardio-wise or CNS wise.

I mean, ez curls and the inner thigh machine? I woulda thought Rich would have trained with more free weights. I was hoping to see nonstop, high-rep squats, deads, and overhead press. Disappointed...

No, 1 hour straight non stop is hard no matter what you are doing. They are more concerned with conditioning than pure strength.

chevelle2291
07-01-2010, 01:02 PM
No, 1 hour straight non stop is hard no matter what you are doing. They are more concerned with conditioning than pure strength.

I didn't say it wasn't hard, but it's not like doing ez curls is the best thing for functional strength and/or conditioning. I'm sure Rich and his coaches know what they are doing, but the video itself wasn't very impressive. I'm sure he's a strong guy and has a decent build, but the vid wasn't that impressive and wasn't what I was expecting.

Edit: Was thinking over this video and started thinking that maybe they don't train as much with free weights to avoid injury before fights. Thoughts?

Phenom
07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
He'd still be champ if he did deadlifts.

j/k, Ace is the man.

But seriously, where are the deads?

Sensei
07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't get what they are trying to accomplish with it... This is not GPP for MMA, it's a smorgasbord of exercises thrown together in a cardio w. weights session. Will it develop some local muscular endurance that's useful for MMA? Maybe. Will it improve MMA conditioning over and above what you could be getting on the mat or in the ring? I doubt it.

JMO.

ThomasG
07-07-2010, 06:15 AM
What the **** was that ****?

seK
07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
From all the MMA guys I have seen training (pre-fight hype video) the only two that really stuck out were GSP and Rashad Evans, both had crazy conditioning that related directly to MMA.

Although I still believe the majority of these "training" video's are not an accurate representation of their actual training.

joey54
07-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Whenever I see those training specials I think, these guys could be training a lot smarter and simpler. It seems sometimes people do something because it is the latest thing. Whatever works for them, but at times it seems as though guys are overtrained coming into the fight. Some of that could be associated with a weight cut. What do I know?

nickp8
07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
As far as training for MMA goes the best stuff I have seen has been from Martin Rooney. I believe he just came out with another book talking about training for fighting. He also did some interviews with Deisel Crew.

Dallen Hall
07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
That just looks like training ADD to me

depotman
07-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I liked some of the training Defranco did with Dan Hardy. Focusing on 3 minute sessions, to mimic the rounds in a fight. Pretty decent imo.

zbollman
07-25-2010, 11:31 AM
A tremendous amount of conditioning is mental and not physical. Yes it is taxing and hard, but I do not believe that the point of that training session is for muscular endurance. An athlete of that stature would not waste time with that sort of exercise routine. Finishing the session and pushing through the pain seems to be the point to me.

Zach