PDA

View Full Version : Diet critique

Kevin K
07-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Here's what I eat everyday, training day or non-training day. I weigh around 240 lbs. I would like to compete in the 242 class for a while.

5:30 Meal 1: Wheat pancake & Nitrean shake (pre-workout)

7:30 Meal 2: Met-Rx protein bar, Nitrean shake & Results (post-workout)

9:15 Meal 3: One of the following: Cottage cheese, left over chicken or burgers

1:30 Meal 4: 8 oz. salt-free dry roasted peanuts, Met-Rx protein bar, and banana (convenient for lunch at work)

6:15 Meal 5: One of the following: (2 turkey burgers with whole wheat bun, chicken breast, 16 oz. or bigger steak, or fish) Nitrean shake, salad

8:15 Meal 6: 12 oz. can of chicken or tuna with mayonnaise, Nitrean shake

I was reading some older threads and I am starting to think that I am eating too much. Do you guys have any suggestions where I can improve on my diet.

Sean S
07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Most of the answer depends on the results you are getting with your current diet and what your goals are. If you aren't getting the desired result, then you have to adjust. Diet guidelines are just a starting point, you have to constantly evaluate what you are doing and make adjustments based on the results.
My only input is that you rely on supplements (protein bars, shakes) quite a bit. I would prefer a little more whole food and a little less supplements, but it's certainly not a huge problem.

Allen Cress
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Seems your protein intake is too high having a Nitrean shake on top of whole food meals. Protein is important, but too much can have diminishing returns. On average 1-1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight is plenty. Your protein sparing nutrients are very important and often overlooked, especially carbs. It seem people tend to keep carbs low in fear of fat gain but carbs don't make you fat eating too many calories and poor food choices does.

My only recommendations is to cut out the Nitrean with meals and unless its a convienience thing stick with whole foods and only 2 shakes at most per day.

tom183
07-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I am starting to think that I am eating too much

Are you gaining weight faster than you would like to or putting on more fat than you would like to?

Kevin K
07-03-2010, 05:13 PM
My only input is that you rely on supplements (protein bars, shakes) quite a bit. I would prefer a little more whole food and a little less supplements, but it's certainly not a huge problem.

Thanks! I will eat more whole foods and lay off the supplements a little.

My only recommendations is to cut out the Nitrean with meals and unless its a convienience thing stick with whole foods and only 2 shakes at most per day.

It's more or less of a convenience thing, I don't have access to a refrigerator from 10:00 am to until around 7:00 pm, otherwise would have a shake mid-day instead of with a meal.

Are you gaining weight faster than you would like to or putting on more fat than you would like to?

I don't know about fat, but I'm gaining maybe 2-3 lbs. a month, some of thats probably from the Results though.