PDA

View Full Version : I've lost it, now how do I get it back?

cant hit bombz
07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
So back in the day...I think it was a Wednesday..I was mildly fast. Not a burner by any means, but i could go 1st to 3rd with the best of them. The last 2-3 years it feels like i am running in quick sand. my quickness/ first step speed is still there and my explosiveness is coming back ( dunking again for the first time in 5 years ) but i got no top end. I sit at a desk all day, but am fairly active ( play 100 games of softball in the summer, volleyball and elk hunting in the fall, b-ball in the winter). My legs are the strongest they have ever been, this is the first time i have ever deadlifted and squated for any length of time. I am just at a loss as to how to get my speed back.

tnathletics2b
07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
What is your weight and how old are you? Ask any big leaguer who used to go 1st to 3rd at 35 as fast as he could when he was 21 and he would say no...

cant hit bombz
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
206, 35 yrs old. It's weird though, it's not like i have lost a step...it's more like i lost 14. I mean literally it feels like i am in slow motion. I have the normal advanced age aches and pains..both knees hurt...but nothing that i need surgery for.

Travis Bell
07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Have you done anything to specifically train your speed?

Speed squats, sprint work, plyos?

cant hit bombz
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Nothing really speed related, I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start. Do i jump right into a full out Kelly Bagget style program? just throw in some plyo work into my existing weight training routine? sprints? all of the above?

Travis Bell
07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
For what you're looking to get, throwing some plyo and sprint work into your current program should suffice.

cant hit bombz
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds good, thanks a million Travis

lawndarts
08-25-2010, 08:13 AM
As I've gotten older I've found that I need to do a lot more stretching to get loose. Even after a lot of stretching I still don't have the stride length that I did 10 years ago. Running on grass has helped me eliminate a lot of the aches.