PDA

View Full Version : Ezekiel Bread Worth The Money?

RebelDogg
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I just bought some Ezekiel 4:9 bread from Whole Foods. It's kinda expensive and looking at the nutrition info I wonder if it's really worth getting over my normal house bread. I say house bread because I buy two loaves. One for lunch at work and one for eating at the house, like with dinner or whatever. It costs about twice as much. I know the ingredients are better, but I'm just wondering what other people think about the stuff and is it worth eating on a regular basis. I had heard before I bought it that it had a high protein content... not so... I don't know. I just keep hearing how good it's supposed to be for you. I do eat the cereal... the flax one... It's good. But I'm not sure about the bread.

Here's some quick info:

(per slice) Calories/Protein/Carbs/Fat/Fiber

Ezekiel:
80/4/15/0.5/3

Oroweat Whole Grain Whole Wheat:
90/4/17/1/3

Nature's Own Whole Wheat (Daily lunch bread):
50/4/10/1/2

Based on this I don't see Ezekiel bread being worth twice what the Oroweat costs. I have not tasted it yet, but Oroweat is some tasty stuff... so... I guess what I'm asking is if some of you nutrition brains can tell me what makes Ezekiel so special? I know it lacks flour... is that so great? Hmmm... oh! It does have a bird on the front... that's gotta be good...

Anyway, I'm gonna go eat some soon and see if it's any good. But taste is tertiary to me, so that won't be a deciding factor of if this becomes a normal part of my diet.

K.Huget
07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.answerfitness.com/213/ezekiel-bread-healthy-food-day/

There are some interesting points in that article. It's one of the few breads with a complete protein (all 9 amino acids). It's also got a low GI. Whether it's worth double the price is up to you.

depotman
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Yes, in my opinion it is, I buy it all the time and love it. It has a much lower GI becuase it is a spelt grain bread retaining all the original parts of the grain. Where as most whole wheat breads are not fully complete grains, as some of it has been removed to make it easier to process.

They make cinnamin raisin bread, hot dog and hamburger buns as well.

Here is some info I found on Ezekiel Bread -

Food for Life brand’s Ezekiel 4:9 organic sprouted whole grain products. The process of sprouting changes
a grain’s composition in numerous ways to make it more beneficial as a food. It increases the content of vitamins (e.g., C, B2, B5, and B6) and beta carotene dramatically, up to eightfold.

Even more important—especially considering how many people suffer from indigestion—it breaks down phytic acid (a mineral blocker). Present in the bran of all grains and the coatings of nuts and seeds, phytic acid inhibits the body’s absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, and zinc and can neutralize digestive enzymes, resulting in digestive disorders. Sprouting breaks down the complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas and transforms a portion of the starch into sugar. It also inactivates aflatoxins, which are toxins produced by fungus
and potent carcinogens often found in grains (Chek 2004, 64).

The whole wheat bread that the American public has been led to believe is healthy contains processed wheat, which is deficient in nutrients. Hence the extremely high prevalence among Americans of digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and constipation. Chronic constipation can lead to many potentially dangerous health disorders and also can make losing weight quite difficult. Simply replacing bread with sprouted grain bread can radically improve your digestion and your ability to lose weight.

Since we are on the topic of the glycemic index, let me post a decent read on rice -

White Rice vs. Brown Rice and every other rice on the shelf

If you've ever even spent 2 minutes in the rice aisle at your local grocery store, you know the varieties and the choices of rice are endless.

Are any of these a good option for you?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Brown Rice goes on the top of the "good" list (oh come on, you knew I was going to say that right?)

Many people know brown rice is better than white, but why?

Well, although brown rice and white rice have similar amounts of calories, carbohydrates, and protein. The main difference between the two forms of rice is in the processing and nutritional content.

Only the outermost layer of a grain of rice (the husk) is removed in producing brown rice. To produce white rice, the next layers underneath the husk (the bran layer and the germ) are removed, leaving mostly the starchy endosperm.

Several vitamins and dietary minerals are lost when you remove this very important layer (especially Vit B1, Vit B3 and iron). Not to mention magnesium, where one cup of cooked brown rice contains 84mg of magnesium and one cup of white rice only contains 19 mg.

Another very important source of nutrition that is lost in white rice is fiber! This is so vital because fiber plays so many important roles in the weight loss process.

Fiber helps you to feel full for a longer period of time and if you are not hungry and feel satisfied, it's much easier to stick to your healthy eating than if you are starving all day.

Fiber also helps to control blood sugar fluctuations, the secret to weight loss is keeping your blood sugar and your insulin under control all day long.

Fiber helps your digestion. If you are not eliminating and moving your bowels each day, weight loss will be extremely difficult. I would even say for some people, impossible.

Speaking of keeping your blood sugar in balance...we should also consider the glycemic index (how a particular food affects your blood sugar) when considering our rice options. An easy test you can do right in your kitchen to test the glycemic index of a particular variety of rice is the "stickiness" test. After you've cooked the rice, the easier it is to mush up into a ball (mushy), the higher the glycemic index and the faster it will cause your blood sugar to rise. This is why long grain brown rice is actually better than short grain brown rice...it will cause a slower rice in your blood sugar and in insulin levels.

How about every other rice option out there?

Here are just a few...

Basmati Rice

Used in a wide range of Indian and Middle Eastern dishes, basmati rice comes in white and brown varieties. I suggest choosing the brown as the glycemic index of brown basmati rice is even lower than regular long grain brown rice. This one gets a thumbs up.

Black Rice

Cultivated in Asia, this rice is typically sold as an unmilled rice, meaning the fiber-rich black husks of the rice are not removed, making black rice very high in fiber. It's also naturally high in iron...a plus for those looking for iron-rich foods. This one gets a thumbs up.

Jasmine

Jasmine rice is frequently served with Thai and Chinese dishes. It is often compared to Basmati Rice and sometimes used in cooking interchangeably. Like basmati rice, it also comes in brown and white varieties. You probably already know what I'm going to say here (but I'll say it anyway), choose the brown rice variety. This one gets the a thumbs up.

Wild Rice

Similar to brown rice, wild rice is less processed than white rice and as a result, obtains more nutrients, specifically protein, vitamin B1 and magnesium. Not quite as much of a winner as brown rice, but not the same as white rice, wild rice falls somewhere in between. Even so...it still get a thumbs up.

Which rice options get a thumbs down?

White rice, instant rice (especially the ones that go in the microwave), rice bowls (highly processed) and any other rice product that has added creams, sauces or tons of sodium.

Now, with all of this talk about glycemic index and sugar balance, you must remember the most important thing...

The glycemic index of a food changes drastically when combined with other foods. So regardless of your rice choice, it is essential that you combine your rice (a carb) with a healthy protein and fat.

Depending on your specified portion sizes, a ½ cup to a cup of brown rice can be a wonderful carbohydrate choice in your lunch or dinner alongside a tasty protein (maybe some wild fish) and some yummy vegetables (possibly some sautéed spinach).

vdizenzo
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Ezekial bread tastes awful. I'd rather be fat than eat it. My wife loves it. It's supposedly better, so if I could tolerate it, I'd eat it.

RebelDogg
07-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't think it tastes awful, but it's not great. It's much better if you toast it, though.

joey54
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Just eat a double down and you don't need bread! My new creation during camping a few weeks ago was a breakfast sandwich with egg, chees, and bacon using 2 hash browns as the bun.

Daniel Roberts
07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
breakfast sandwich with egg, chees, and bacon using 2 hash browns as the bun

This over Ezekiel bread any day.

Unless bread provides you with the bulk of your nutrition then 'no' it's not worth it, especially if it isn't the best tasting bread you've ever tried.

The macro-nutrient profile isn't massively different, (amino acid content doesn't make any odds unless it's your main protein source) and any GI 'benefit' or inherent goodness isn't going to manifest itself unless as I said, your whole diet is based on it, which I'm guessing it's not, that would be silly!

So it comes down to taste and whether you can afford it, because on the flip side it wont actually hurt you. If it tastes good only under certain conditions (toasting) sounds like a poor option to me, but there's no accounting for taste.