PDA

View Full Version : Could do with a bit of hep guys and gals ??? :-)

TheGMan
07-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Hi All,

I am 6ft 2 and weigh about 14.5 stone (203 pounds) 200 pounds is not a huge amount and i am no bothered about my weight however i have 2 months to lose some chunk!

My legs are rock solid, all the blubber is around my middrife and upper body, this is where i want to smash it away!

I am currently on a low carb diet and i am doing Starting strength with zero cardio, i love doing SS and i have (touch wood) improved every single time i have been in the gym however i have read in so many places that i shouldnt do cardio, or i can do a bit , or i should do HITT.

I used to run a lot andd i really enjoyed it but i never packed on any muscle, not serious muscle anyway, i was lean, fit, healthy but i wanted to get bigger so decided to eat and just train ad lift heavy (for me) weights.

So now i am looking to lose the gut or as much as it in 2 months, i know fat cannot be stripped off one place and it comes off all areas so what would be the best exercises for me to do?

Diet wise - I am eating a little under my maintenance sample diet is something like this:-

Breakfast - 3 egg whites, mushrooms, cheese - pint of water or skimmed milk
Snack - Apple and an Orange - pint of water
Dinner - Chicken breast, sometimes with veg, sometimes with pasta, sometimes on its own - pint of water
Snack - Tin or tuna - pint of water
Snack - nuts - pint of water (this is about 4 pm ish as i leave work)
Gym - SS - Protein shake during the gym - 45g of protein
Dinner - Fish and salad - Pint of water

I have also cut down on beer and crap until a saturday night when i will have a takeaway and a few gins!

It goes something like that.

At the min i am not taking any supplements, tablets, fish oils etc
To summarise:-
1. Should i change the diet? - I am thinking about reducing th calories a little, but as it is high fat and high protein should i remove something liekthe peanuts which will lose some fat or should i lose more carbs?? or eat more lean protein??
2. Exercise - Is SS the best routine for me to do for loosing weight or would i be better with one of the WBB (i used to do WBB 1.1 and loved it)
3. Cardio or HITT or none??
4. Supplements - fish oils etc - is there anything that i am missing that you can think off?

I love running but also have a bike and cross trainer set up in my back room so there is no excuse!

Lastly, i bought my wife some things off the internet and have been told off because they are apparently crap so they are on e bay but has anyone ever tried them:-

Cho Yung Tea and Colon Cleanse! - Sounds like a hold lot of crapping to me!!

Any help you can give me would be fantastic, starting from today i have pretty much 2 months and the weight has got to come off - you are probably thinking why - Simple a holiday but normally i wouldnt be bother but 2 years ago we went on holiday so bought a load of clothes, since coming back i have out on weight and have zero clothes, i figures it would be cheaper to lose weight then buy new clothes.

this is an example of my fit day, the fat comes from peanuts mostly,

Grams Calories %-Cals
Calories 2,840
Fat 135.3 1,167 41 %
Saturated 25.2 219 8 %
Polyunsaturated 38.7 334 12 %
Monounsaturated 62.5 537 19 %
Carbohydrate 150.7 581 20 %
Dietary Fiber 31.6
Protein 267.4 1,093 38 %
Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (41%) Carbs (20%)
Protein (38%) Alcohol (0%)

Behemoth
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
If you enjoy cardio do it. Don't let anybody tell you too much is unhealthy. Steady state and HIIT both are quality. I prefer HIIT because I get it over with sooner, I also believe its somewhat more effective at lower bodyfat ranges (that an opinion not fact though).

Rather than just tell us what you eat, tell us what you eat does. What I mean is some people may lose 3lbs a week eating that. Some may gain 3lbs a week. Some may stay there forever. What's does a consistent consumption of that diet do for you? Answer that and we can assist help you further.

Fish oil and a multivitamin would be good to supplement with.

TheGMan
07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Thank you for getting back to me, i have been on this and i have lose a few pounds but at the same time i have been training more so maybe it is down to that??

I am going to add cardio in twice a week justv starting with a 2 miler and ill build up to doing 2 miles of HITT and then a cool down run - Initially i started ruinning after the squats, got about 20 yeards down the road and it was as though i had been shot in the knee caps, my legs just didnt want to move so i reckon days off will be cardio.

With SS i do 3 sets of 5, would it be better as i am now focusing on losing weight to maybe do the same exercises, lower weight but 3 sets of 10?? or 4 sets of 8??

What's does a consistent consumption of that diet do for you?

At the minute i would say i do lose weight but again exactly how much i dont know, i have been on it now for about 3 weeks, sometimes i will miss the tuna and the protein shake and sometimes the gym just due to time (i know you have to be dedicated with a new baby it is difficult sometimes) i have gone from about 14 11 to 14 7 and am now around the same weight?

I have heard a lot about fish oil, maybe ill have to give it a go?

Cheers

tom183
07-07-2010, 02:07 AM
With SS i do 3 sets of 5, would it be better as i am now focusing on losing weight to maybe do the same exercises, lower weight but 3 sets of 10?? or 4 sets of 8??

No need to change. If SS is working, keep doing it.

shipdadip
07-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Starting Strength is called Starting Strength for a reason and is a great routine for building strength and getting stronger but it is not the best routine for cutting. STarting Strength also works best while maintaining or bulking. IMHO if your main goal is to lose the gut switch to a different routine. You should definitely be doing cardio. LIT or HIIT it really is up to you but you want to do it everyday. The biggest factor by far though is your diet. You want a clean diet where you are consuming less than you are burning everyday.

TheGMan
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
what i am thinking is as i am doing this for 2 months (as after tha i will be looking for strength agan) ill cut down on calories, prob remove some of the ftty stuf, the peanuts and cheese maybe? then ill run, cycle, cross trainer 4 times a week and track it while still doing the SS but maybe on a ower weight as if i do the SS as i am now i wont be able to do the cardio due t me being very knackered! Ha ha,