PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Questions

shocker4221
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I plan on starting the 531 program but have some questions concerning the shoulder presses. I plan on training 3 days a week which won't allow me to work bench every week according to the schedule. I am wondering if it would be better to rotate shoulder presses in and out and use them as an accessory exericse to bench days? I am also curious as to the benefits of doing standing shoulder presses to seated presses? Any help is appreciated.

jbrin0tk
07-06-2010, 08:57 AM
What are you training for? What is more important, getting your bench up or your military press up?

AdamBAG
07-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Why don't you just do it as written and see how it works for you before you make changes? Unless you have a reason to change things, then don't.

Training is all about trial and error and learning what works best for you.

shocker4221
07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I want overall strength but would just hate not being able to do bench every week. I plan on doing the program as it's written but was just wondering if anyone may have been thinking along the same lines.

nickp8
07-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I want overall strength but would just hate not being able to do bench every week. I plan on doing the program as it's written but was just wondering if anyone may have been thinking along the same lines.

You can do two main lifts in one day. For a while I did Military Press and deadlifts on the same day. I believe he has this in the book as an option. I know the question has been asked on elitefts also. So you can do a search there too. Another piece of advice, like Adam said it is trial and error so just go lift. If it doesn't work try something else.

tnathletics2b
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I did it for 4 cycles 3 days a week and added the military press in on bench day. It worked well for me, but I would make sure your shoulders are well conditioned before you do the bench then the military press, then the dips...

DMedley
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I did it for 4 cycles 3 days a week and added the military press in on bench day. It worked well for me, but I would make sure your shoulders are well conditioned before you do the bench then the military press, then the dips...

I agree with the others - I do 3 days per week and I put the OH Press on Squat day!

tnathletics2b
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with the others - I do 3 days per week and I put the OH Press on Squat day!

That is a pretty good idea- would have taken some stress off my shoulders...

BigBatz
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
You could do as stated above. Put it in on squat or deadlift day and avoid it on bench day. Or you could stretch the cycle to six weeks and rotate it in that way and theorecticaly only miss one week of bench which may pay off in the end with the added recovery time for every lift. It would look something like this.
DAY 1 DAY2 DAY3
WEEK 1 SQ BN DL
WEEK 2 OP SQ BN
WEEK 3 DL OP SQ
WEEK 4 BN DL OP
WEEK 5 SQ BN DL Deload days 1 2 3
WEEK 6 OP SQ BN Deload day 1 continue the cycle

I my opinion the standing overhead press engages more muscle to stabalize the weight. Steated overheads take most of these stabalizing muscles out of the equation. This also reduces the amount you can lift doing the seated press.

shocker4221
07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
BigBatz, I may try something like what you posted. This was my first week of the program and started with squats on tue and did bench today and will do dead lifts tomorrow. We actually added OP today and did them before bench but don't think that will happen again. We started with the OP and then went to BP. It didn't affect my bench as much as I thought it would, but I did incline flyes and then incline bench afterwards and could really feel the stress on my front delts. We were thinking of adding OP to DL day but that would only give us 48 hours max between OP and BP because we can only lift during the week. It will take some tweeking but your suggestion looks good. In week 4, instead of the deload what sets and percentages do you use?

DMedley
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
BigBatz, I may try something like what you posted. This was my first week of the program and started with squats on tue and did bench today and will do dead lifts tomorrow. We actually added OP today and did them before bench but don't think that will happen again. We started with the OP and then went to BP. It didn't affect my bench as much as I thought it would, but I did incline flyes and then incline bench afterwards and could really feel the stress on my front delts. We were thinking of adding OP to DL day but that would only give us 48 hours max between OP and BP because we can only lift during the week. It will take some tweeking but your suggestion looks good. In week 4, instead of the deload what sets and percentages do you use?

The progression is:
3x
5x
5 3 1
deload

It does not matter how you set it up ... when you have hit all the exercise with the 5 3 1 week, then deload.

BigBatz
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
The progression is:
3x
5x
35 3 1
deload

It does not matter how you set it up ... when you have hit all the exercise with the 5 3 1 week, then deload.

shocker

Like DMedley said above. When every exercise hits 5 3 1 then deload. This would occur during week 5 and week 6.The outline I gave in my post was just a guide for th OP who was concerned about missing his bench days. If this Cycle doesn't work for you. You could do as suggested and them in on squat or deadlift days without the accessory lifts just to keep the total workout time down. Also you may want to try every other day instead of three days in a row if possible. Make sure you keep a good log. It could start to get a little confusing.