PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding home power rack

C-Sobrino
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a power rack/cage for my house (the Westside R-3 rack manufacutred by Rogue fitness). I'm building a platform to bolt down the rack and wanted to ask how thick do you all think a platform should be and what bolts to use for a safer and stable setup. Thanks to everyone.

MarcusWild
07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I used 2 1/2" sheets of plywood for our racks in the gym. I used as large of wood screws as I could. That didn't hold great. I bought some L-brackets from home depot. I used the original 3 holes on the rack plate, and the bracket let me use another 8 screws. That has held fine.

Butcher
07-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I have a rack sitting on 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood and 3/4" of rubber mat. I put lag screws (hex head) through the bracket holes on the rack that were 2", 1/4" less than the total platform thickness. It is a 2x2 rack and I unracked the bar from squat height with double average bands and it held solid with way more band tension than I will be using for a while.

Travis Bell
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah I have two 1/2" pieces of plywood (screwed together) and some carpet on top and I used lag screws (after pre-drilling some holes) and it's held up to some pretty serious tension day in and day out.

The R3 rack is really nice. I plan on adding one to our gym in the fall.

IRBS
07-07-2010, 07:40 AM
So its not neccessary to bolt it down, screws work just fine? I have a rack coming from snpequipment at the end of the week. I was planning on drilling holes and then bolting it down, but if screws work just as good I will go that route.

Thanks