PDA

View Full Version : Recuperation

vdizenzo
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Who here practices recuperation on a regular basis? I have added 1 sessio a week of stretching, foam rolling and such once a week to my routine. That is on top of cold therapies I already do such as contrast showers, ice, and cold dips into the Long Island Sound. It's all made a great difference. I feel better than I have felt in a long time I'm wondering if the regular cardio has anything to do wih it also.

IronDiggy
07-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I've been doing cardio regularly. But other than that I foam roll kinda whenever, same with stretching.
I have been adding in contrast showers periodically, generally whenever I feel stiff and sore but I'm thinking I should probably be doing more.

Daniel Roberts
07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I do the foam roll, mobility/stretching thing which helps. Also bought a cheap small rolling pin from a kitchen shop and some proper massage cream and give my legs a good going over after each lower body session - just sit up in bed and roll my quads and calves (and anything else I can properly get at, biceps maybe) like a piece of pastry. Seems to help.
But the thing that makes the most difference and which I notice most is being fitter i.e cardio. When I drop that either when very busy or when trying to get some weight on, everything feels worse, heavier, harder, achier.
And on that note congratulations on your own weight loss and the comp - I'm guessing you've noticed you just plain feel better after it based on your last sentence.

JK1
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Yup.... I'm way fatter than Vinnie, but I'm a firm believer in recovery work. You have to or you are going to beat the crap out of yourself.

I'll pretty much do all of the following in a given week:.
1) foam rolling before just about every workout as part of my warm up. if necessary knobbering or big sticking specific areas
2) stretching ---am increasing this. as I get older I'm getting way too tight
3) moving... simply getting up and walking some extra goes a long way. We have a treadmill, a big hill, and a stationary bike in the gym. What I end up doing alot of the time is just good old physical labor on the farm or at work.
4) self myofascial release 2-4 times per week
5) contrast hot/cold showers almost every shower. this can be up to twice per day
6) hot/cold packs for specific areas as needed.
7) reflex ball/raquet ball work on specific areas.

I'm getting older...or at least thats how I feel if I'm not doing the things listed above.
7) band stretching at least once per week.

ScottYard
07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Cardio makes a big impact for me. I was actually just thinking about my own need to get back on the treadmill to aid my knee recovery now that I doing wrap less meets. Plus vinnie with your weight loss now your body is more efficient then it was. It will naturally heal faster now that theres less man meat to fuel.

vdizenzo
07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
. It will naturally heal faster now that theres less man meat to fuel.

I have lost 60 lbs. I actually have two more inches of man meat now, thank you very much.

ScottYard
07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I have lost 60 lbs. I actually have two more inches of man meat now, thank you very much.

LOL Well then, Why not make it 90 lbs and go for 3?

shocker4221
07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I too am getting older and have been trying to do anything I can to prevent injury. Can someone explain what the foam rolling actually does for the muscles?