PDA

View Full Version : OCB Charm City Classic prep

cws
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
A trainer at my gym convinced me to compete in the OCB Charm City Classic this October 9 in Maryland. I weigh 185 and have a long way to go. I will post my program. I have just added a 20 minute cardio (treadmill on 4.1 with a 5 incline) session after each workout.

Day 1: Back (8 sets), rear delts (3 sets), traps (4 sets), biceps (5 sets) (Wed)
Day 2: Chest (8 sets), shoulders (6 sets), triceps (5 sets), abs (Thurs)
Day 3: Rest, cardio (Fri)
Day 4: Upper body: Back (3 sets), Chest (3 sets), Shoulders (3 sets), Rear Delts (2 sets), Traps (3 sets), Bis/Tris (3 sets each) (Sat)
Day 5: Legs, calves, abs (Sun)
Day 6: Upper body: Chest (3 sets), Back (3 sets), Shoulders (3 sets), Rear Delts (2 sets), Traps (3 sets), Bis/Tris (3 sets each) Mon)
Day 7: Rest (Tues)

cws
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Here is the diet I am doing my best to adhere to. I am susceptible to episodes of poor food choices, but I try to keep them to a minimum.

6:30am - 1 scoop of my a.m. protein blend (110 calories)

9:00- 1 pure pro RTD, 1/2 ounce almonds, granny smith apple (340 calories)

12:30- salad (spinach, carrots, broccoli, beets, olives, cauliflower, chick peas, tomatoes, mushrooms) with grilled chicken and calorie-free dressing (I estimate this at about 400 calories)

5:00- my preworkout shake (210 calories)

5:00-6:15- workout (including cardio)

6:15- my postworkout shake (210 calories)

7:45- meal with between 400 and 500 calories. I may eat up to 900 calories,which is what I estimate a Jay's Favorite sashimi combination, a yellowtail roll and 4 pieces of nigiri provides.

sometimes before bed- 1 scoop of my nighttime protein blend (110 calories)

Total- 1780-2200/2300 calories

cws
07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I am going to decrease some of the volume on the Wed/Thurs workouts, and possibly on the other two upper body workouts.

I have also thought of not doing full upper body workouts so the split would look like this:

Day 1: Back (5-8 sets), rear delts (3 sets), traps (4 sets), biceps (5 sets) (Wed)
Day 2: Chest (5-8 sets), shoulders (5 sets), triceps (5 sets), abs (Thurs)
Day 4: Legs, calves, abs (Sun)
Day 5: Back (5-8 sets), rear delts (3 sets), traps (4 sets), biceps (5 sets) (Wed)[/B]
Day 6: Chest (5-8 sets), shoulders (5 sets), triceps (5 sets), abs (Thurs)

I am also considering rotating the workouts as such:
Week 1 Week 2 Week 3
W chest legs back
Th back chest legs
F -------- ----------- --------------
Sa legs back chest
Su chest legs back
Mo back chest legs
Tu ------------ --------------- -----------------

For now, I will do the above workout with fewer sets as follows:

Day 1: Back (4-8 sets), rear delts (3 sets), traps (4 sets), biceps (5 sets) (Wed)
Day 2: Chest (4-8 sets), shoulders (6 sets), triceps (5 sets), abs (Thurs)
Day 4: Upper body: Back (2-3 sets), Chest (2-3 sets), Shoulders (2-3 sets), Rear Delts (2 sets), Traps (3 sets), Bis/Tris (3 sets each) (Sat)
Day 5: Legs, calves, abs (Sun)
Day 6: Upper body: Chest (2-3 sets), Back (2-3 sets), Shoulders (2-3 sets), Rear Delts (2 sets), Traps (3 sets), Bis/Tris (3 sets each) Mon)

joey54
07-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I will follow along. Why not hire someone to help with the diet?

cws
07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks. I am gonna see how my diet goes. I have been studying nutrition since I was 18 so I think my diet is based on sound science. I am intrigued by intermittent fasting and am going to experiment with that in the future. I am just not sure if I have the stones to try something new given the proximity of the show and how much fat I need to lose.

And by the way, I very much appreciate your honesty.

joey54
07-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe I can make it out to catch the show. You have a good amount of time to get ready.

cws
07-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I am now doing two interval sessions per week after my lifts, 15 minutes each, using 12 seconds off/8 on intervals. The other three post-workout cardio sessions are 20 minutes of moderate intensity steady-state cardio (ex. 4.1 on treadmill at incline of 5). I will add at least two more longer sessions per week separated from weights or on off-days later on. When will depend on how this cardio regimen works and how many poor food choices I make.

Time+Patience
07-22-2010, 03:37 PM
How are things coming along so far? Do you have a rough estimate of where you'd like to be with your BW for the contest? What are the weight ranges for the different weightclasses? I assume you're shooting for the Middleweights-- they're usually 160-176 give or take the organization.

cws
07-25-2010, 06:19 PM
It's coming. I weighed in at 182 this morning. Apparently there are tall and short classes as opposed to weight. I do not know what my final weight will be. In the past when I competed (in colllege a real long time ago), I ended up always coming in much lighter than I had anticipated, so I am reluctant to guess even an approximate weight. As long as the cuts keep coming, the scale continues to drop and my strength doesn't fall off too much (It hasn't at all yet and in fact I have been getting stronger on many lifts), I will keep doing what I am doing. Updates to follow. Thanks for following.