PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift grip question

fixationdarknes
07-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Some dude is trying to tell me that mixed grip is dangerous due to muscular imbalance. But it is AFAIK the most common way of deadlifting, and it's the only way I've ever deadlifted really. With proper form, locked arms, and not jerking at the start, is there any real chance for bicep/back injury?

Input?

mastermonster
07-09-2010, 01:59 AM
I DL with a mixed grip (over/under). I've tried others but nothing works as well for me. I do believe however that if the arm with the under hand isn't keeped striaght from the start of the pull that you increase the risk of tearing that bicep.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Well, I've also heard that the mixed grip stresses your back muscles unevenly. Is there truth to this?

Fuzzy
07-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Think about it... you're doing something asymmetrically. Therefore the results will be asymmetrical.

IMO at least.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Well, I suppose I'm not so much concerned with the asymmetry as I am the safety of the mixed grip pull.

Kevin K
07-09-2010, 05:51 AM
I've always used a mixed grip and I've never had a bicep injury. I just keep my arms straight when I'm pulling. This grip has never failed me, even with 500 lb. pulls.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I see. I don't doubt I'll see the same future as you. What I am desiring though is some analytical info about the matter past simply anecdotal reassurance that the mixed grip is safe. Any one can help me out?

Sean S
07-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Anecdotal evidence is about all you are going to get with this subject. There simply isn't any actual research or study out there that I'm aware of. In reality the only real difference between each side is that one had is supinated and one hand is pronated. Supination/pronation takes place in the forearm, so in theory everything else should still be balanced in the DL. For the bicep part, all you can do is keep your arms straight and don't jerk the bar. This will minimize your risk for bicep injury, but no one can give you 100% assurance you will never ever have a bicep injury.
In real life, you can keep your arms straight, don't jerk the weight, and switch your mixed grip back and forth. I pull with a different mixed grip each set. That way if there is any potential for uneven stress over time, I have done approximately the same amount of work with each grip.

mike mcgee
07-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Anecdotal evidence is about all you are going to get with this subject.

Sean is right. There are many different ways to grip the bar when deadlifting. Overhand, underhand, mixed, hook, or with straps. Everyone has a preference or reason why they grip the bar the way they do. Specific to underhand however, is it is potentially more hazardous on heavy deadlifts as a it shortens the bicep muscle and increases the load on it. This could possibly lead to a rupture of the muscle or connecting tendons.

ScottYard
07-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Risk can be associated with anything. You just have to be confortable with it. Any one can blow a bicep. I know b/c I did LOL. Try a hook grip if your concerned. But realistically dont worry about it.

fixationdarknes
07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Hm.. alright, thanks guys.

IronDiggy
07-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I switch up my hands when doing mixed grip on dls.
Working sets I always do the same mixed grip but usually during warm ups or some light dl's I'll switch my grip or just go overhand till the weight gets too heavy.

Jake Impastato
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
If your arms are completely straight you will not tear your bicep. Your joints cannot stretch at all. It is only when you load them up by trying to bend the arms can you get a tear. Obviously anything can go even when it shouldn't but it would be rare. My brother tore a lat in a meet squatting! That was crazy!

AJ Roberts
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
mixed grip is the strongest way to pull. There are safer ways but then again if injuries scare you, you're in the wrong sport.

chaddukes
07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I switch up my hands when doing mixed grip on dls.
Working sets I always do the same mixed grip but usually during warm ups or some light dl's I'll switch my grip or just go overhand till the weight gets too heavy.

Yep, that's what I do. I heard about the risk of developing an imbalance early on. Though it's not a major concern it takes me no time or thought to switch the grip up periodically. I just use the strongest grip on the max effort pulls. For everything else I try to alternate. I don't know how much it matters, but it takes no time to switch the grip up. So, what do you have to lose?