zk001
07-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I currently train using block periodization. template over 10 days:

day 1: squat, deadlift
day 2: bench
day 3: squat, deadlift
day 4: bench

the problem is I am so spent after squats thet I do not give 100% to deadlift, I sacrifice form and never complete the prescribed sets.

I am thinking of going to:

day 1: squat
day 2: bench
day 3: deadlift
day 4: bench

Or is it a bad idea? Too low frequency?

Thanks for help

zk

StLRPh
07-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Someone with more experience at this than I will hopefully chime in but on your original template instead of doing squat and deadlift on days 1 and 3 you could do:
Day 1: squat and deadlift accessory
Day 3:deadlift and squat accessory

There is a block periodization thread on the board that is very good. If you do a search it should come up.

Sean S
07-09-2010, 08:53 AM
If your squats are taking that much out of you, you need to examine your work capacity. You may not hit your all-time best DL after squatting, but you should be able to get some quality DL work in. When doing block periodization, your first block should focus on building work capacity with relatively light weights. This should get you in shape enough to both SQ and DL in the same session.
You could look at the block periodization thread here. You could also ask your question over at the elitefts Q&A and direct it to Jeremy Frey or Landon Evans (give them more specifics than you have here) as they are both very experienced with block periodization for powerlifters.

KoSh
07-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a squat day, bench day, deadlift day and push press day.

On the upper body days I do accessory work involving the other upper body lift. Same for the lower days.

jbrin0tk
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I think StlRPh has the right idea. Here is what I would do:

1). Pick a supplemental lifts (or lifts) for squats and deadlifts.
2). On day 1 you could squat and do your deadlift supplemental movement. On day 3 you could deadlift and do your squat supplemental movement.

So day 1 may look like: Squat, Deadlift against band tension

and day 3 may look like: Deadlift, Safety Squat bar box squats

Just some ideas.

Justin220
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Ive been doing block periodization since Nov 09. During the accum phase I lift 4x a week.

Mon Bench
Wed deads
Fri bench
Sat squats

I do the main movement then alot of accessory work. All lifts are raw.

For the trans phase, I lift 3x a week.

Mon bench (shirt), heavy 3board
Wed deads (suit), deads with chains
Sat squats (suit), rev band squats

vdizenzo
07-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Keep squats, and deadlifts on separate days.

zk001
07-11-2010, 01:49 AM
thank you very much for all your advice, I appreciate that.

zk