PDA

View Full Version : raw eggs

emd023
07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I would like to eat 2 raw eggs and a protein shake every morning. is this safe? ive heard you can get salmanella.

mike mcgee
07-09-2010, 07:59 AM
if you do some research online, there is a way to pasteurize eggs at home to make them safe to consume raw.

pillsbury
07-10-2010, 05:27 AM
I've been drinking eggs raw daily for the past 3 years its just more convenient never gotten sick, you could say ive been lucky but the salmonella thing is way overblown, dont live you're life in fear if you do stay small...

emd023
07-10-2010, 10:01 AM
thanks guys

VikingWarlord
07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
The protein in eggs becomes more bioavailable when cooked. There is no advantage to eating raw eggs unless you want to brag about being all hardcore. This topic pops up here about once every 3-4 months.

One other thing to clear up is that store bought eggs in the US are mostly pasteurized anyway. Farm fresh are not.

RebelDogg
07-10-2010, 12:31 PM
The protein in eggs becomes more bioavailable when cooked. There is no advantage to eating raw eggs unless you want to brag about being all hardcore. This topic pops up here about once every 3-4 months.

One other thing to clear up is that store bought eggs in the US are mostly pasteurized anyway. Farm fresh are not.

This. But don't be scared of a little salmonella. I think it's something like 1 in 10,000 eggs that actually can get you sick. That number may not be right, but it was something ridiculous like that. I've never gotten sick. Rocky never got sick. But cooking them makes them digest better. Soft boil 'em or something.

The only thing is that egg whites contain a butt-load of a substance called avidin which binds so tightly with biotin that your body can't break it apart, thereby possibly resulting in a biotin deficiency. I think you probably have to eat a lot of raw eggs regularly for this to happen, I'm not really too read up on this.

But other than being in a hurry or craving the feeling of a large loogie going down your throat, there's not much reason to eat them raw.

emd023
07-11-2010, 09:07 AM
theyre good to stick into a protein shake

VikingWarlord
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
There's no benefit to doing it. Your body is less able to utilize the uncooked egg protein. You can do it, but there's really no point. It's just a waste.