PDA

View Full Version : Question about using Nitrean on occasion.

RebelDogg
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey, I just ordered some Nitrean and really like it, however because of the price difference with ON I will continue to use ON as my daily whey and use the Nitrean a little more sparingly, trying to stretch a 2.2lbs tub to a month or two at least. This means no more than one scoop of Nitrean daily. Maybe some days none and another day two, but trying to stretch the things out some.

I generally drink 2 scoops of ON in the morning (sometimes 1 if I can think I can get in enough whole food protein in that day) and two scoops post workout or in the evening on non lifting days (again, sometimes one on non-lifting days).

If I was to start introducing a scoop or two of Nitrean into this, I would likely drop a scoop of ON somewhere. I understand that Nitrean, being a blend, has some slower digesting proteins. What I'm wondering is what would be the most beneficial time to drink it as opposed to ON.

In the mornings? But I figure I have protein coming to me from food sources through the day. So at night? I eat cottage cheese before bed for the slow digesting protein in it. Should I add to that by drinking Nitrean at nighttime for the same effect? Pre workout? So the proteins are there during my hour of working out?

I figure ON is still going to be good for post-workout for the speed of whey isolate digestion. But if I'm only taking a scoop of Nitrean a day, I want it to be at the time that I can get the most benefit from the slow digesting proteins in it.

And when I see slow digesting, I don't really know what that means. How slow? An hour? Four hours? What?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck, considering how few bucks I've had lately. :)

gmen5681
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
if money is that tight you should just focus on whole foods that are high in protein. supplements are there for ease not a necessity by any means.
as far as the digestion thing just keep it simple. if i remember what i read from your other posts you are trying to lose weight, so you should just worry about calories and lifting. there are a ton of people out there that are in amazing shape that dont worry about how fast they digest their protein shake. seriously just keep it simple. jim wendler explains it best just keep everything north of vag and you are in the clear. eat what you know is healthy and train like your life depends on it and the results will come. there is no reason to get all caught up in the scientific aspect of your digestion system until you are getting ready to get your pro card.

RebelDogg
07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks, Gmen. Yeah, I have a tendency to try to over think most things. I do have difficulty, though, eating enough protein in the day. That's why I use the shakes. I try to eat like a smaller man, but still take in protein for a 263 pound man.

Oh, and money's not that tight. I do okay. Not rich, but I take care of myself. But there's almost a $50/month difference between the two. I'd like to reap the benefits of a blend, but I can't go through almost 9.2 lbs a month of Nitrean. I just can't justify the cost... I'm actually having a hard time justifying the $68 a month for 10.3 lbs of ON.

gmen5681
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
how much protein do you use a day? a big tub of nitrean last me a month and i do 4-6 scoops a day.

RebelDogg
07-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I take about the same. Usually 4 scoops, sometimes more or less. Usually two in the morning and two post workout. Sometimes I have more if I'm low on my protein or something for the day. Sometimes a little less if I don't think I need it. But average four a day.

The big tub (4.6 lbs, I think) is 70 servings if I remember right. I don't want to check the site at the moment, but I think it's something like $53 a tub. That's 17.5 days worth @ 4 scoops a day. That'd be somewhere around $113 shipped for 35 days worth (9.2 lbs). But if I do one scoop a day, one tub would last me more than two months. I can handle that, but I still need more of a cheaper protein to fill in the blanks with.

vdizenzo
07-11-2010, 08:05 PM
It's good that you understand that Nitrean is a different protein than regular ON Whey. If I were in your situation I would use the Nitrean as my before bed shake.

I also want to say that I have been using a protein blend for a very long time. Before Nitrean I was buying the separate proteins and blending them myself. It was a real pain in the ass, but well worth it in my estimation. Now a few supplement companies have made it easier for us by selling blended protein. If you are going to compare the cost of protein make sure you are comparing the cost of blended proteins, not just regular whey.

I understand many people are in different financial situations. However, I alwasy find it interesting to see what people are willing to spend their hard earned cash on. Vacations, cars, clothes, etc. It has been shown statistically that people who spend more money on high quality food will spend less on health care. My wife and I eat mostly organic. Yes, it costs more, but I feel it's worth it. I feel the same way about my supplements.

I am not making any judgments on the op, I just felt it salient to the thread.