PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve-time to vent a little

Ryano
07-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Powerlifting has it's problems with the high number of federations, inconsistant judging, and rule variations but what bothers me the most is people making claims they can't back up. It makes the entire sport look bad when some runt makes claims of phenominal lifts that would crush him if he even attempted them. Dan Conner once made a claim of an IPF bench of 635 at 220# in 2004. Evidently he didn't know that the IPF keeps records. Hahhaa. He asked me to help him with his shirted bench about a year ago. I agreed, but told him he had to stop with the false claims. While I was picking 550 off of him I saw that he was claiming a 700+ shirted bench. That ended our training together. I see he is doing it again. Check out this website. I will let you come to your own conclusions, but notice there are no video's or meet results posted:

http://squatmonster.com/blog1.php

Sorry, but I just can't stand a liar.

dammstrate
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Come on Roger, with your accomplishments you shouldn't be letting this crap bother you.

Porches don't need to street race with jack'ed up '76 Camaros....

Ryano
07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't let it bother me but this turd is local and has actually been in my house. I thought I was a better judge of character than that. I guess 25+ years on the police force didn't teach me anything. Hhhaahhaaa I just know how hard it is to get to the numbers he claims to have without even competing. In his blog, he says he'll be at UPA Nationals on July 31st. I'm sure he won't show, but I wish he would just to give me a good laugh.

Magilla
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
That is always amazes me when adults act like this. There are alot of insecure (or just plain screwy) people out there.

BigTallOx
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
what bothers me the most is people making claims they can't back up. It makes the entire sport look bad when some runt makes claims of phenominal lifts that would crush him if he even attempted them.

I'm not sure that it makes *the sport* look bad, people are smarter than that. It makes *that person* look bad, not much more, IMHO.

Rob Luyando
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
My pet peeve is bombing. I have 3 in a row. Frustrating but not letting it bother me I know i am good for a 1000 plus and will put a meet together soon. Failure is good forbuilding character as long as you learn from it. I will be back to shut some mother ****ers up!

NickAus
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
My pet peeve is seeing high squats passed in meets, I dont even care if they break parallel- parallel is fine with me but seeing squats that are way high passed in meets is just ****.

robchris
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I hear ya' Roger... I agree in that it takes so much hard work and sacrifice to put up big numbers legitimetly and have some smuck

outright lie about thier numbers really gets me hot!!!

The other thing that gets me is the old "geared vs raw" debate... I know its been hashed 1,000,000 times but it never ceases to amaze me how one side can judge the other w/o never trying to go equipped/ raw. Dont knock something till you try it... Both styles are very challenging to say the least!

My .02 RC

shocker4221
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree with Rob, i'm new to the whole geared lifting but recently won my weight class at a meet and half the guys were wearing shirts and half weren't. Needless to say everyone who didn't have a shirt was complaining that it wasn't fair even though they knew shirts were allowed. I beat the second place guy by a good amount and told the rest that I could have beat them RAW, wasn't bragging and even showed them after the meet, but they kept whining.

thewicked
07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I personally enjoy competing against geared lifters raw if there is an opportunity. It tends to happen around here in local meets as well as push/pull divisions in some feds I'm in. I don't see raw as a handicap but see competing against the geared lifters as a challenge.

I don't think the horn blower is bad for the sport. MErely just makes himself look like a tool instead. That being said, numbers talk and if he has none on the books from the platform, who cares.

MTlifter
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Is on another site I frequent lying about his workouts and accomplishments and I couoldn't remember where i had heard of him before but thanks for reminding me.
I love the I squatted 1085 at 198 one.:boring:

Jake Impastato
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
If you claim to be a powerlifter then what counts is what is in the books. Its pretty easy to be a hero in your own mind!