PDA

View Full Version : De-ionised water?

martin
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey everyone,

It's that time again and I'm cutting weight this week. Oh the fun :)

One thing I have never used is de-ionised water. Who uses it and what difference does it make?

I gather it sucks minerals out due to osmosis - or at least fails to provide you with the minerals needed.

Cheers for any input/experience

Martin

blownby
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
It's minimal to what it does, but hey if it helps shed 4oz, that 4oz less to sweat!

I typically drink Distilled or DI water about 36-48 hrs prior to weigh in. It supposedly helps to lower sodium/mineral levels, and thus help shed the water a bit faster w/o any extra minerals. Plan like 2.5+ gals the 2 days prior to weigh inns

martin
07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Do it's basically working like a diuretic.

Can you get de-ionised water for drinking over there? I cant find any in the UK that says it's for human consumption - just stuff for in cars with warnings not to drink!

blownby
07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
distilled water works just fine. Or if you want get an RO/DI water system for your house. Usually like $150-$200. RO (reverse osmosis) water is very good for drinking & cooking. DI water isn't something you want to drink all the time, just when cutting weight....

RO/DI water I use primarily for my salt water aquarium. It is pure water! So is distilled, of which most grocery stores will sell.

In short if your not familiar w/ water:

basically goes like this:
**well water....straight from the ground...usually quite a bit of TDS(total disolved solids) minerals & stuff 500-1000ppm
**tap water......filter & chlorinated usually from local tretement facilities usually about 150-300ppm TDS
**filtered water.....additional steps usually good for removing contaminites/ & chlorine & improving taste. about 125-250ppm TDS
**RO water....a process where water is forced thru a membrane that purifies water very well. Usually about 95-98% effectient. 3-10ppm TDS. Creates a lot of wate water. Basically to produce 1 gallon of this very clean water...3+ gallons is wasted
**DI---a finally polishing step when DI resin strips the water of any more minerals & TDS.....00TDS..pure water!

Distilled water is basically tap water that is steam distilled....by steaming water the water evaporates and when water evaporates only pure H2O does. This is collected and bottled thus creats distilled water.