PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm Stuck!

blustring
05-10-2002, 06:02 AM
Hello all,
I seem to have reached a sticking point in my progress. I've been lifting/dieting since late January, and was making some pretty impressive progress, but for the last three weeks, I seem to be stuck. 3 weeks ago I weighed 221, down from 249 in January. I'm noticing more muscle definition, and my body measurements were getting smaller/larger where needed. A few weeks ago a buddy came into town from Florida, and we went on a four day drinking binge. Since then I haven't been able to lose any weight. My diet is great during the week, and the only bad aspect of it on the weekend is the beer. I'm still not eating fast or fried food, but I can't seem to lose any weight. I know that weight is not the best measure of progress, but it's the best I've got. I'm eating approximately 2300-2500 cals per day with a 30/30/40 (pro/fat/carb) split. My routine consists of chest/back on Mon, Cardio/Abs on Tues, Shoulders/Tris on Wed, Legs/Bis on Thur, Cardio on Fri, and Cardio/Abs on Sat. Anyone have any suggestons?
Thanks in advance,
-M

Relentless
05-10-2002, 07:14 AM
This should probably be in the Diet Forum, but anyway I think you've answered your own question.

Try giving up beer. Or limit yourself to A beer on EITHER Friday or Saturday as a 'cheat' but also take the beer's calories into account.

It could be something else as well, I'm just taking a shot at answering your Q based on the info you've provided... I was stuck at 220 or so for a while too myself in the process of leaning up; got over the hump with Xenadrine (and no beer on the weekends!)

Good luck
Callahan

ElPietro
05-10-2002, 07:17 AM
It sounds like the amount of food you were eating was below maintainence for your previous weight but not for your current weight. It constantly is shifting depending on your weight so as you decrease in weight so does your caloric needs. So simply cut out some more cals from your diet and you should start losing the pounds again.

ElPietro
05-10-2002, 07:17 AM
ps. never give up beer. tuttut

PowerManDL
05-10-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
ps. never give up beer. tuttut

Correct.

blustring
05-10-2002, 07:34 AM
I was kind of hoping that someone would be of the opinion that I should never give up beer. I'm going to cut my cals back again and see what happens.
Thanks Guys

Tryska
05-10-2002, 07:52 AM
oh come off the bs y'all.

callahan is right.

don't cut back your cals too much you are way too active for that, and give up the beer. it's just sugar. one does what one has to do. it's not like your gonna die.

ElPietro
05-10-2002, 08:18 AM
Tryska he doesn't have to give up beer...as long as he isn't binge drinking all the time it's no biggie...just count the calories and factor it in...splurging every now and then is ok...have you given up chocolate entirely? and if he's not losing weight what else should he do other than cut some cals? 2300-2500 isn't exactly low for his current weight. I would say go to 2000-2300 now and see how it goes...

Tryska
05-10-2002, 08:21 AM
right, i would agree if he didn't have quite the schedule that he has man.

he is a lot more active then most of us, with the cardio and the softball and the wieght training. if he stays too far below maintenance or too long with the schedule he's carrying, he'll wind up stuck on the plateau for longer.

Relentless
05-10-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Tryska he doesn't have to give up beer...as long as he isn't binge drinking all the time it's no biggie...just count the calories and factor it in...splurging every now and then is ok...have you given up chocolate entirely? and if he's not losing weight what else should he do other than cut some cals? 2300-2500 isn't exactly low for his current weight. I would say go to 2000-2300 now and see how it goes...

Well, I guess what blustring hasn't said is HOW MUCH beer he's drinking on the weekends. Also, if he's anything like me, drinking a lot of beer leads to craving of fatty/salty foods; is there chips or burgers or whatever being consumed after a binge drinking?

Also, someone much more knowledgeable than me about physiology needs to check this, but I thought one of the key components to weightlifting as a weight-loss supplement was that you increased your muscle mass as a proportion of your bodyweight, which led to a higher metabolic rate, which meant that you burned more calories and leaned up more. If you reduce calories too much, don't you lose muscle too?

Hm

That reminds me; something that no one has said yet:

Maybe your weight is staying the same but your bf% is actually dropping. Especially if you're making good gains in lean muscle mass, your actual scale weight may stay pretty even, while you are trading fat for muscle.

I found this when i was stuck at 225-227 for a while; my waist shrank by 3" but my quads and chest and arms got bigger and my overall weight stayed the same. I am at least as active as blu, and I was consuming ~3000-3500 calories up until last month. I've reduced down to ~2500-2700 plus increased cardio over the last week and I've already dropped a few pounds... of course the Xenadrine prolly doesn't hurt there either.

I've rambled on a bit but hopefully theres some sense in there.

Callahan

P.S. Instead of giving up beer entirely, what if you change up and only drink it every 2nd or 3rd weekend as an option?

blustring
05-10-2002, 09:47 AM
That is an option I can try. I'm not drinking a huge amout. When my buddy came into town I drank a good bit, but that's not normal. Usually, I'll have 5 or 6 on Friday and maybe 5 or 6 on Sat. Sometimes not even that many. Sometimes a few more. I always figure the cals/pro/fat/carbs into my diet. I never eat all my cals for the day, then have some beer. I've been keeping track of my body measurements too, and they haven't changed much in the last few weeks, in fact, I think my waist may have gotten a little bigger.

Relentless
05-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Here's a link to a site with calories for beer:
http://www.alcoholreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/ilink.cgi?Category=HEALTH%3ACalories

For an average 12oz bottle of brewski, we're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 calories, maybe more or less depending on your brand. across 5 or 6 beers, that's 700-800-odd calories, or 1/3 of your daily calories... which seems like a lot. Plus you're consuming it two days in a row...

These calories are also all coming from the ethanol and sugars/carbs in the beer, right? So I'm guessing that your body doesn't have much use for 'em except to store as fat .... (the rest gets recycled through the urinal system in order to produce Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee and similar brands... hehehe).

For myself, I found that the healthier I ate, the more I wanted to stay 'clean' and on-diet... this included beer, of which I am much fond, being a true Canadian and all. So now, when I go out with the ladz, I tend to drink water and volunteer to be the DD-- helps keep me on-diet and such. I will occasionally have A beer or two as a 'cheat' but never twice in a weekend, and generally not EVERY weekend. My beer-beverage of choice is Guinness (which actually has less calories than a pint of lager) and failing that I tend to have light beer to minimize the impact.

The key question I ask myself when it comes to enjoying a frosty barley pop, especially when it's a warmer day, and I can just TASTE the crisp, slightly-bitter-but-delicious liquid sluicing down my parched throat... err sorry, got off track there....

The question I ask myself is this: "What's more important to me? Having a beer or staying true to my goals?" This solves the problem 9 times out of 10.

Cal

PowerManDL
05-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Drink yer beer dammit.

Tryska
05-10-2002, 11:17 AM
so that his liver can be taken up processing the alcohol through as opposed to metabolizing fat.

come on dl, if you want to drink that's your prerogative, but don't pressure other people to when you know damn well it's antithetical to their goals.

that being said, i think callahan has some good tips for figuring alcohol into your diet.

blustring
05-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Okay,
I try a little harder to drink maybe once per week. I think I can give that a shot. The thing is, I drink less now than I used to. I guess the fact that I've lost almost 30 pounds might have something to do with the way my body handles the beer. I'll try harder.
Thanks

Relentless
05-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Good luck, man.