PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia capsules

ThomasG
07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I know most people use them when competing but do you guys use them when you train heavy or go for a big pr?

BloodandThunder
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Perfect for long drives at 3am and competing. Training not so much.

AdamBAG
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
In my opinion you have to leave something for the platform.

I believe Louie wrote something a while back talking about people that get too psyched up for big gym lifts and how once they get to the meet they are already spent. Maybe Travis can expound on that because I can't find where he wrote it.

hulk242
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I may break out an amonia a few times a yr in training. Mostly I get focused but not carried away. Now, there are a few prs and indicators that I will get amped for. Just don't make a habit of it. The biggest thing is train in the 97%....meaning, save that little extra for the platform.

hulk242
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Also, to touch on a point by the other Adam....It's something that a lot of top lifters won't say; they max but a lot times it's not an absolute "true" max. They save it for when it counts and keeps them from less injuries.

kzk464s
07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't really ever use ammonia. I've tried it a few times and it seems like it just threw me off/distracted me.

Then again, I also don't get outwardly charged up for lifts. To each their own.

AJ Roberts
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I used to live on ammonia at meets until the 06 Worlds. Right before my 2nd deadlift attempt I took a huge hit and got so disorientated I set up a good 5" off center and couldn't break the bar off the floor. I remember Dave Tate looking at me and shaking his head as I had opened with a token 405. After that I started to back down and now only will once in a while.

breakstuff
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I've taken them on heavy lower days... I would say they gave a heightened focus but only for a very brief period of time. if you can't get your head around training at your gym raw, you can forget about it at the meet.

A solid pre workout drink is one thing, but seriously using ammonia while training seems a bit much. Let that be your tool on the platform.

_J

Steve Colescott
07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Great to keep on the nightstand. On a winter morning when the wife or girlfriend is just not getting up fast enough to cook your omelette, that should get her moving (but be careful if she approachs your still sleeping body while clutching a frying pan).

Travis Bell
07-20-2010, 05:43 AM
In my opinion you have to leave something for the platform.

I believe Louie wrote something a while back talking about people that get too psyched up for big gym lifts and how once they get to the meet they are already spent. Maybe Travis can expound on that because I can't find where he wrote it.

Yeah I'm not sure where he wrote that either, but you are right, he's not a fan of getting all psyched up in the gym, save that for the meet.

We do max all the way out though (on bench days at least, obviously I'm not speaking towards squat workouts) sometimes we miss weights (bad) and other days you hit a PR but have absolutely nothing left in the tank

As far as amonia, like AJ I used to use them all the time, but then at one of my first meets with Westside, I think it was 05, I watched a guy take a few really big huffs of it before a bench. He took the weight out and passed right the heck out. Dropped 600+lbs on his collar bone. I left the amonia after that.