PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Overtraining

basbolstar
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Hey all-

I have been training for my meet that is less then a month away(aug. 14). My deadlifting has been going great. Been doing 515 raw tried 525 with suit this past weekend. Should I take a few weeks?? Or should I be working band training? Working off pins?? Not sure at this point. I feel a bit over trained.

Love some feedback.

Thanks!

AdamBAG
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
If you feel overtrained then back off. You aren't going to get any stronger in a few weeks, but you can get hurt.

If you need to work technique in your suit then do so, but do it at submaximal weights.

Ben F Burgess
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
If you feel overtrained then back off. You aren't going to get any stronger in a few weeks, but you can get hurt.
I respect your opinion and staying healthy is of course of primary importance but i think most people really are way to scared of overtraining.

If you've been smashing it in the gym you SHOULD feel worn down and beat up IMO - its fatigue accumulation and its what makes some training cycles work (particularly high volume ones like Sheiko)...if you force you body to strain while you are tired and not performing optimally then you are also forcing it to adapt.

The actual getting stronger/supercompensation part happens in deload week in my experience. Ive coasted through cycles making sure i always felt fresh and gained nothing on meet day. Some of my best ever gains have happend when i felt like complete ass during the last month of the cycle but ground on through and realised the progress on the platform.

basbolstar
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I will keep it in mind. I think next trainign cycle I will do rakc pulls. Do some good mornings and abs as well.

hulk242
07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Just pull! You need to simply get stronger. Do different variations of the deadlift and break prs. You should also break some rep prs. Then in time, go back to see your progress. Most guys pull every week and sometimes twice a week. You just need to not max on the same movement and not go balls out each time either.

Adam Hires

Sean S
07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do any really heavy pulling since you are sitting less than a month from the meet. Some moderate weights to get your technique dialed in with the suit would be helpful. I always pull best in meets if I don't try to go crazy with the DL's in the last few weeks before a meet.

ScottYard
07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
If I were you I would start tapering down. Just dont kill your self. You have to learn to keep your CNS awake but untested. Eveyrone works differently though so how this works for you will only learned through trial and error. Take this oppurtunity to make a plan. Act it out, and then see the result.

hulk242
07-19-2010, 06:10 PM
I meant long term by the way for progress. As said above, taper it down for the meet. Good luck.

AJ Roberts
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't do anything but speed pulls between now and the meet

basbolstar
07-20-2010, 06:23 AM
AJ, what % of max would you say?

AJ Roberts
07-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Keep it below 60%