PDA

View Full Version : WESTSIDE TRAINING: Speed rack pull question

Andrew Cohn
07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I read recently (I think in last month's PLUSA Westside Deadlift article) that the lifters are Westside will now use conventional rack pulls against bands for speed work. I am a conventional puller and the article specifically said that the sumo pullers use this stance.

Why/how are conventional rack speed pulls used to enhance sumo speed/power? I am in the midst of planning my next training cycle for the NOTLD Pro Deadlift meet and any input from knowledgeable sources would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MarcusWild
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Training opposite stance is pretty common. Louie says if there's a huge difference between conventional/sumo then you have a weakness that needs fixed. From what I've seen, conventional really helps the lockout for sumo deadlifters.

douglasoh5
07-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Andrew theres never any real plan as far as what we want to do after squats. If you want a set plan Id do speed pulls from the ground sumo 2 weeks then 2 week rack pulls. the rack pulls arnt a pure speed pull, but arnt a max. normally we will do like 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps. its a random rack hieght when we do it. Incase you dont know Iv been training at ws on fridays since mid feb and have an ok dl

AdamBAG
07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Andrew theres never any real plan as far as what we want to do after squats. If you want a set plan Id do speed pulls from the ground sumo 2 weeks then 2 week rack pulls. the rack pulls arnt a pure speed pull, but arnt a max. normally we will do like 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps. its a random rack hieght when we do it. Incase you dont know Iv been training at ws on fridays since mid feb and have an ok dl

Dick Douglas is being very modest. He has a sick pull.

You should check out his log here or at badattitudegym.com to see what he does at WSB every Friday.

AJ Roberts
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
The hardest part of sumo is the top end. Rack pulls for reps build the muscles that work this portion of the movement, as well as build your grip up. It's really that simple.

Andrew Cohn
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
The hardest part of sumo is the top end. Rack pulls for reps build the muscles that work this portion of the movement, as well as build your grip up. It's really that simple.

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks AJ

Jason198
07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
That's what I'm looking for! Thanks AJ

AJ do most westside guys pull sumo, it seems like it, I could be very wrong, but if so why ? Thanks

Lones Green
07-24-2010, 01:18 PM
AJ do most westside guys pull sumo, it seems like it, I could be very wrong, but if so why ? Thanks

AJ pulls conventional

Not to be a dick, but you would pull with whichever stance you pulled more with in a meet.

Both styles are trained regardless of your competition stance though, this was something AJ preached to me last time I was up there.