PDA

View Full Version : Advice on meet preparation ( kind of )

BigTallOx
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Last weekend I did my first strongman competition. I'd estimate it was about twice as taxing on my body as a normal saturday training is. Due to a couple things that don't really matter, today I decided that I'm going to do the Utah's Strongest Man this weekend. I trained a little tonight ( strongman events ) and I probably shouldn't have because I didn't feel anywhere near recovered from saturday. Normally I wouldn't care, but now I've got the comp this weekend. So my question to everybody is what extra things should I be doing to recover as much as I possibly can by saturday? Any information/advice will be appreciated.

If I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize but you could just replace "strongman competition" with "powerlifting meet" above and I'd still be interested in what people have to say.

vdizenzo
07-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Foam roll, stretch, contrast showers, eat well, stay super hydrated, and sleep plenty. Training last night was foolish. Sometimes I hate not training when getting ready for a meet, but it's the smart thing to do. That is why I am pretty good at what I do. Next time use your head for more than a hat rack.

IronDiggy
07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Maybe go for a couple light walks to get blood moving too.

ThomasG
07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Ice bath

BigTallOx
07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Training last night was foolish. Sometimes I hate not training when getting ready for a meet, but it's the smart thing to do. That is why I am pretty good at what I do. Next time use your head for more than a hat rack.

Yeah, I know. It's not like I'm going to win the contest, since I'm only really a couple months into strongman events training. This one is just for experience. Next year will be much different.

vdizenzo
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I know. It's not like I'm going to win the contest, since I'm only really a couple months into strongman events training. This one is just for experience. Next year will be much different.

If that's how you feel that's fine. However, you should set yourself up to do as well as possible if you are going to compete. Otherwise, just do the events at your house. At least that's my opinion. I know it seems like I am picking on you, but I see stuff like this all the time and it drives me nuts. I feel like I have to have a common sense lesson at my seminars. Actually, thank you, becuase now I will.

BigTallOx
07-21-2010, 10:06 AM
If that's how you feel that's fine. However, you should set yourself up to do as well as possible if you are going to compete.

That's what I'm doing. Until yesterday evening, I wasn't competing. Some things changed ( none of which I had any control over,well other than my decision that is ) and now I am, so I'm doing what you're suggesting, ie trying to set myself up for doing as well as possible.

Otherwise, just do the events at your house. At least that's my opinion.

I'm surprised by your opinion, since that's not the same as performing in a competition in front of spectators even if I'm not viewing myself as competitive. Isn't part of performing well at a competition experience gained from previous competitions? I don't see how training at home this saturday would be the thing to do, even in my current situation, when my (real) goals for strongman are for next year and beyond.

I know it seems like I am picking on you, but I see stuff like this all the time and it drives me nuts. I feel like I have to have a common sense lesson at my seminars. Actually, thank you, becuase now I will.

I don't think you're picking on me, you just don't understand how events unfolded to get me in this situation. Doing the competition this weekend is still consistent with my long term strongman goals. If I could go back in time and use 100% perfect logic ( which I did anyway ), I would still end up in the same situation. Maybe I should give a seminar about how a series of perfectly logical decisions can still end up putting you in a less than ideal situation that will invariably open you up to judgement and criticism from the outside world ( all of which is off topic for this thread IMHO ), even though none of it was in my control.

BigTallOx
07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Ice bath

I guess I'll try that. I've never taken an ice bath before though.

ThomasG
07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
They did wonders for me when I did 2adays for football. The first couple minutes are pretty intense and you have to tough it out but then its gets better.

joey54
07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Next time use your head for more than a hat rack.

Signature worthy right there. Thanks Vin.

BigTallOx
07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Signature worthy right there. Thanks Vin.

Whatever, and from a moderator, I think I'm done with this board, what's the point when you ask for help since I've been backed into a difficult situation and I get attacked. In no way did I deserve such a jerk-ish comment.

Normally my competition prep is solid, I left plenty of time to rest prior to my strongman comp last weekend, as I have with all of my powerlifting meets. I could see attacking me if I had a history of this ( I've gotten pr's at all of my meets ), or if it was something I could have controlled but neither is true.

gatorman2k6
07-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Due to a couple things that don't really matter, today I decided that I'm going to do the Utah's Strongest Man this weekend.

Maybe if you explain this part better, people will have a better understanding of your situation. Also, you did ask for everyone's opinion and Vin gave you his, whether you like it or not.

joey54
07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Whatever, and from a moderator, I think I'm done with this board, what's the point when you ask for help since I've been backed into a difficult situation and I get attacked. In no way did I deserve such a jerk-ish comment.

Normally my competition prep is solid, I left plenty of time to rest prior to my strongman comp last weekend, as I have with all of my powerlifting meets. I could see attacking me if I had a history of this ( I've gotten pr's at all of my meets ), or if it was something I could have controlled but neither is true.

Come on, that's just funny. It isn't because it was directed at you. If you know Vin in any capacity he is trying to help you out, and so have many other people on here. If we didn't like you and want to see you do well, we would ignore your threads.

Off Road
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Maybe I should give a seminar about how a series of perfectly logical decisions can still end up putting you in a less than ideal situation that will invariably open you up to judgement and criticism from the outside world.

That's signature worthy right there too. We've all been there...

vdizenzo
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
BTO imo you have a habit or asking for advice and when you get criticized you take offense or have an excuse or just have the need to say something. You asked my opinion and I gave it to you. I don't know you personally. I hardly care about what my training partners lift. I don't lose an ounce of sleep if they miss a lift or bomb out of a meet. So you can surmise how bothered I am by someone who is upset with me on the internet.

I am a very accomplished lifter and I take my time to give others advice. I really don't care to be spoken back to or given excuses. Of course it's your right, but it makes me want to help less or anyone for that matter. Also, Rhodes and I come accross this a lot, many athletes are used to ripping on one another. I have to remember that not all strongmen and powerlifters were athletes. When I get ripped on, I want to do everything possible to get better and prove them wrong. I guess it makes some other people just want to run away.

Now do I want you to leave, no. However, if you do, it will be your loss not mine.

Travis Bell
07-22-2010, 11:46 AM
BTO, Vincent is exactly spot on.

Clearly you did not want Vincent's advice, however valuable it indeed was. (On a side note he is perfectly correct on your contest prep)

So your purpose in posting this thread is beyond me. Whether you just wanted to vent, or what not, I have no idea, but gaining knowledge is not one of them.

You very much do have a reputation for creating threads and then getting upset with any sort of advice that is given. You may want to be a good bit less sensitive in the future. Otherwise I'd expect you will get little if any input from the Pros or other forum members on the site.