PDA

View Full Version : The curious case of the disappearing back squat.

Fuzzy
07-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Long story short, at the end of 09 I had worked my way to a 242.5kg back squat and a 195kg front. All was well. legs were huge and strong. I was happy and close to the 1/4 tonne mark. As some of you know, I went on a drastic cut and went from 234 to 205. Needless to say my squats and strength plummeted, but the gain in speed and recovery reflected in my snatch and clean and jerk, which was fine by me. Since the end of the cut in April I have been steadily increasing in my front squat and deadlift numbers, I did a 600 pull and a 400 front... in that time my back squat has not moved from 426. So as it stands I have a 15kg gap between my front and back, and at this rate I think I may end up front squatting more than I back.

Training program usually has a pretty even split of both squats, so I am at a complete loss as to what the hell is going on. I will make sure to get videos of both squats for further analysis but I was wondering if anyone had any idea.

My coach is pretty tight lipped but I have a feeling I may make the move to full time front squatting in the next year as we cut out more and more variety to focus on the classic lifts, but.. bleh.

Thoughts?

Lones Green
07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm sure it has to do with your leverages

thewicked
07-21-2010, 08:25 AM
me too based upon your body's new composition and weight displacement throughout.

Sean S
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Of course your weight loss has alot to do with it. It also appears that you are relatively quad dominant based on your numbers. I would venture to guess than most people who are able to front SQ 400 can pull more than 600. My back SQ and DL are relatively close to your current numbers, but my front SQ is nowhere near 400 lbs. It could be that you aren't getting much posterior chain contribution in your back SQ or your posterior chain is weak relative to your quad strength. Thus when you "add" more posterior chain contribution in the back SQ vs. front SQ you don't get much bump up in poundage. I don't know if this is a huge problem for an olympic lifter, so I'll let you and your coach decide if this is really a "problem" or not.

Travis Bell
07-21-2010, 04:12 PM
One thing I've seen a few times when guys lose a ton of weight and their belly gets smaller (supporting them less) is they begin to bend over a lot more coming out of the hole than they should. Maybe some extra ab and glute work along with trying to keep more upright might help

joey54
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't have the gut to support yourself in the hole anymore. Need to build up your glute strength.

Fuzzy
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Of course your weight loss has alot to do with it. It also appears that you are relatively quad dominant based on your numbers. I would venture to guess than most people who are able to front SQ 400 can pull more than 600. My back SQ and DL are relatively close to your current numbers, but my front SQ is nowhere near 400 lbs. It could be that you aren't getting much posterior chain contribution in your back SQ or your posterior chain is weak relative to your quad strength. Thus when you "add" more posterior chain contribution in the back SQ vs. front SQ you don't get much bump up in poundage. I don't know if this is a huge problem for an olympic lifter, so I'll let you and your coach decide if this is really a "problem" or not.

One thing I've seen a few times when guys lose a ton of weight and their belly gets smaller (supporting them less) is they begin to bend over a lot more coming out of the hole than they should. Maybe some extra ab and glute work along with trying to keep more upright might help

Don't have the gut to support yourself in the hole anymore. Need to build up your glute strength.

I miss my gut already. So I guess I need to devote a serious block of time to glute work.

Ok, I'm currently at 8 sessions a week, I'm going to add three morning

MWF, using ABA BAB scheme
A: Back squat, 3x3
SLDL, 3x5

B: Front squats, 3x3
Good mornings 3x5

I'll also add lunges 2x a week after the evening session. Will report back in a few weeks.

Leeman
07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
the reason your back squat isnt much stronger than your front squat is almost certainly due to the fact that you train quads hard (front squat), yet have almost no posterior chain (judgeing by pics)

Jay1
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I tend to agree with the others. I think you're getting alot from your quads in the front squat,but when you back squat you're missing out on hip and glute strength.

Sensei
07-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I think for OLers, it's not such a big deal (and probably not uncommon) to have pretty good parity between your front and (high-bar full) back squats. The difference between the two is probably going to decrease the longer you're in the sport and the more specialized you become. It won't be that way for everyone obviously, but like I said, not uncommon.