PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer Training

joemeglio
07-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I wanted to share my thoughts on sledgehammer training. Looking forward to your feedback.

http://megliofitness.com/sledgehammer-training-for-baseball/

Tom Mutaffis
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I wanted to share my thoughts on sledgehammer training. Looking forward to your feedback.

http://megliofitness.com/sledgehammer-training-for-baseball/

Is there any particular reason why you chose sledgehammer swings for conditioning?

Sledgehammer work seem to be high impact and only involve the upper body as opposed to most other 'functional' conditioning exercises such as sandbag or tire work. I understand that they are both swinging but as you said the sledge would could throw off mechanics and I would also be worried about potential injury.

joemeglio
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Have you ever tried it before? It will rock your core and legs. You should be using your whole body into each swing. The sledgehammer is just one means of conditioning just like the sled, prowler, sandbag etc... By no means am I a "sledgehammer guy", but it is just one of many means we use to get conditioning done. My favorite tools for conditioning are the sled/prowler.

As far as the mechanics go, you don't want to repeat your swing with it because that would mess up the mechanics. But if you are just gripping it and ripping it, it will not affect your baseball mechanics. From personal experience, I never have had any of my athletes get injured while using the sledgehammer nor have I herd of it, but thats just me personally. Im sure if you use a sledgehammer that is too heavy which causes your technique to be ****, you can get hurt, but doesnt that go for any movement?

Is there any particular reason why you chose sledgehammer swings for conditioning?

Sledgehammer work seem to be high impact and only involve the upper body as opposed to most other 'functional' conditioning exercises such as sandbag or tire work. I understand that they are both swinging but as you said the sledge would could throw off mechanics and I would also be worried about potential injury.

Travis Bell
07-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm in agreement with Tom on this one ni like sledge swinging as a supplement to conditioning workouts but I think there are mote effective ways for functional conditioning