PDA

View Full Version : Diet - Your F_ _ _ 'in Opinion



MRJ
05-10-2002, 01:15 PM
All:

Doing a cutting phase here's some background:

Initial Weight - 218
Initial B/F - 18%
Target Weight - 195
Target B/F - 12%

Initial Daily Calories - 3,900
Ratios - 30p/20f/50c

Current Daily Calories - 2,500
Ratios - 40p/20f/40c

Been at 198 for a couple of weeks, considering dropping calories a bit further to get things going. Here's what I'm currently eating:

BFast:
30g oatmeal
1 oz raisin
8 oz non-fat milk
1 whole egg
1 slice non-fat cheese

AM Meal:
4 oz turkey breast
1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 slice non-fat cheese
10g peanuts
8 oz. non-fat milk
4 oz. non-fat yogurt

Lunch:
4 oz. tuna
16 oz. hearty chicken soup

PM Meal:
Replicate AM Meal

Post W/O:
8 oz grape juice 30 g whey protein

Supper:
150g chicken breast
30g lettuce
75g tomato
1 medium carrott
2 tbsp. low-fat ranch dressing
1 slice whole wheat bread

Late PM Meal:
30g whey protein
16 oz. non-fat milk
8 oz. non-fat yogurt

Protein = 250g
Fat = 60g
Carb = 250g

Your input is appreciated !

MWB
05-10-2002, 03:18 PM
You could try dropping the carbs to 200. I'm not really a fan of fruit or lactose when dieting so I would consider cutting the raisins and maybe some milk.

smalls
05-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Yah, you would probably notice a diference by dropping the carbs, like mwb suggested, it probably doesnt really matter from where though. I would put in a real protein meal for your last meal with some flax or natty pb.

Blood&Iron
05-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Fewer carbs, less protein, more fat: I generally say isocaloric is better than 40-40-20 once you start restricting calories to any appreciable degree(As you already have.) Also, obviously, you could either drop your calories slightly(maybe by 200 or so) or add a moderate amount of cardio 2-3 times a week, if you're not already doing some.

Also I'd add in an occasional refeed. If you're not familiar with what they are, do a search.

I'd also put more of your protein and carbs around your workout too. You'd be much better off using 50-100g of dextrose/maltodextrin than 8oz of juice.

Also, I'd suggest adding some fat to your pre-bed meal along with some fiber. Both with slow gastric emptying.

FYI, your initial and target stats match up pretty closely to what I've recently accomplished: took me long enough, though. But it looks from your current weight you're also pretty close to your goals, so congrats.

MRJ
05-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MWB
You could try dropping the carbs to 200. I'm not really a fan of fruit or lactose when dieting so I would consider cutting the raisins and maybe some milk.

I've had carbs. as low as 125 g p/day, but it wasn't a good thing for me personally by any means. In the future I may (when cutting additional calories) try lowering carbs. as you suggest.

I'm figuring I'll drop another 200 calories p/day over the next couple of weeks and see how that helps the process.

Thanks for your input !

MRJ
05-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by smalls
Yah, you would probably notice a diference by dropping the carbs, like mwb suggested, it probably doesnt really matter from where though. I would put in a real protein meal for your last meal with some flax or natty pb.

Agreed re: the last meal w/real food.

Unfortunately with my job I consume quite a bit of calories during the day and need to load the majority of the available calories during this time to keep me fueled.

I eat supper around 08:00 pm (real food as you can see) and the last meal is right before sleep around 11:30 pm.

I will try to implement your suggestion though, thanks for your thoughts !

MRJ
05-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Fewer carbs, less protein, more fat: I generally say isocaloric is better than 40-40-20 once you start restricting calories to any appreciable degree(As you already have.) Also, obviously, you could either drop your calories slightly(maybe by 200 or so) or add a moderate amount of cardio 2-3 times a week, if you're not already doing some.

Also I'd add in an occasional refeed. If you're not familiar with what they are, do a search.

I'd also put more of your protein and carbs around your workout too. You'd be much better off using 50-100g of dextrose/maltodextrin than 8oz of juice.

Also, I'd suggest adding some fat to your pre-bed meal along with some fiber. Both with slow gastric emptying.

FYI, your initial and target stats match up pretty closely to what I've recently accomplished: took me long enough, though. But it looks from your current weight you're also pretty close to your goals, so congrats.

Not sure what isocaloric is, but I'll do a search and find-out.

May try swapping some of the carb. calories for some fat, but I've never had more than 20% of total calories from fat, so I'm a bit paranoid to do otherwise.

Regarding protein, I've lived by the 1g/lb. (total weight) ratio plus 10% or so. Again paranoid to drop below these levels due to an excessively high metab., the amount of exercise I do (w/o 3 days, 2 days cardio and 1 fun day of Mt. Biking, Hiking, Tennis, etc.) and the type of job I have. (lifting, climbing, walking, carrying, etc. I sit very little)

Thanks for your input, it does help !