PDA

View Full Version : finally doing good mornings right?

thewicked
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
now throughout my career Iv'e done good mornings and loved them for deadlift work and they seem to really help my squat but today something changed. I REALLY focused on my squat form which needs the most work when performing these. I went step by step through my setup to make sure I'm engraining all the new protocols as much as possible into my movement. The new setup and focus is staying tighter than a snare drum and focusing on upper body positioning from start to finish.

I've done good mornings up to 615lbs in my career with my best squat being 635 which is why I always wondered why they were so close together. My back also is HEAVILY favored in my deadlift and I have a hard time feeling my hips in anything that is supposed to activate them.

Needless to say, the good mornings today were the first time I ever felt the movement in my hips and glutes in my career. I take it that's a sign that my upper body positioning is finally starting to come together like it should? The weight feels heavy...but moves effortlessly.

dynamo
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
sweet. I always feel them in my glutes and hammies. I never wear a belt so I have always been super critical of my back positioning when doing anything heavy like SQ/DL/GM which has always lent itself to a huge amount of glute usage in all 3 lifts. close to 315 is my best and I found using good mornings helped my squat tremendously coming out of the hole. I might even add them back in my routine in place of deadlifts next time around. goodmornings ftw!!

SELK
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Ive been doing them for sets of 5 lately as a secondary movement (both regular and chain suspended). I don't think it matters how you do them, as long as you are seeing results from them. I know when I do chain suspended good mornings the reps will naturally get cheated a bit.