PDA

View Full Version : westside bench method volume question

Figgy
07-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Hey guys, i'm TRYING to get good on my bench and i've been using the westside method for some time. I've been steadily increasing my bench in just a couple of years ever since i've started the method but i just have one question.

I've been looking through the training logs and seem to notice other people doing fewer supplementary and accessory exercises in a workout. For example, my DE and ME days are WED and SUN respectively.

My DE days goes something like this:
Speed Bench sets
1 Supplementary movements: Lockouts, board presses etc. for 5 or more reps for sets
2-3 Accessory exercises for triceps: combination of dips and extension movements.

On my ME days:
1 max effort special exercise
1supplementary movement - DB work or so...
2 accessories for tricep - extensions and pushdowns usually

I devote other days during the week for my back and some shoulder work(2 or 3 days depending on how i feel), plus some extra workouts(hi-rep pushdowns, extensions, pushups, etc.) a day after the main bench days...

My question is, am i doing too much tricep accessory work on my DE and ME days? cos in the pro training logs, they seem to do only 1 accessory exercise, usually extensions for sets. This program is workin for me but i'd just like to have some input on it, cos i read in one of the WSBB articles that one should only do 4 or 5 exercises in 1 workout, and I seem to be doing that...

Should i keep at it( the volume i mean)

or,

would i progress more if i cut down on one exercise on my DE and/or ME bench days??

Any help i would be really appreciative, thank you very much guys!
-Figgy

Jay1
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Your volume is similar to mine and it seems to be working well. I do main lift, supplementary usually 2 triceps movement, then back then delts. Don't have time to put them on separate days usually.

joey54
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Moved from the BB section so it gets noticed by those who should answer. And that is not directed at you Jay. Very good answer, but this might go unnoticed in the BB section.

AdamBAG
07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
If it's working, don't change it.

I train with westside methods and my volume is less than yours. However, I've never been one to do well with a ton of volume. You just have to find what works for you.

Learning2Lift
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
As long as the volume is higher on DE days and lower on ME days, and you are continually getting gains I would stick with it.

I

NickAus
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Are you doing any squatting or pulling?

Rack pulls helped my bench a lot, even as a bench only you need some leg/ lowerback work.

vdizenzo
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
WS emphasizes tricpe work. I know old school WS articles call for one supp exercise and one acc tri exercise. I know Travis Bell from WS does more tri work than that. I'll be interested in hearing him chime in. There was a time when I only did the one supp exercise as my tricep work and ended up with some good numbers. Perhaps they would have been even better with more tri work. Who knows.

In my opinion, ride the wave. Keep doing what you are doing if you are experiencing good progress. Reevaluate when you stall.

Travis Bell
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Only thing I'd really change is throw your board work back on your ME day and trade them out for some extensor work.

Word of caution on reading the Pro logs on the site, we have some very strong guys who post here and when they are at a different level than you, their workouts may appear to be quite different.

For instance the volume an 800+ lb bencher is going to go through will be greatly different than that of a 600+lb bencher because of the energy and CNS training it's going to take out of the lifter.

In addition, the pro lifters have their weaknesses pretty well figured out. Beginner lifters need to spend more time being very general in their approach to their lifting to cover all bases.

Figgy
07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
hey guys thanks for the advice!

@ NickAus: yeah i do leg work usually on my back days and yeah i love doing some rack pulls when working the back:

@ travis: i understand now, hahahah, thanks for telling me travis, i just love looking at the logs here, pretty cool stuff hahaha! oh yeah, do you mean for me to just savethe board presses for the main ME exercise instead of supplementary work on DE day?

ScottYard
07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree with Travis. Save the board work for me day. I hit my biggest benches with only board work for lockout strength.

Travis Bell
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
hey guys thanks for the advice!

@ NickAus: yeah i do leg work usually on my back days and yeah i love doing some rack pulls when working the back:

@ travis: i understand now, hahahah, thanks for telling me travis, i just love looking at the logs here, pretty cool stuff hahaha! oh yeah, do you mean for me to just savethe board presses for the main ME exercise instead of supplementary work on DE day?

As Scott said, save it for accessory work on ME day or you can use it as the main movement.

Figgy
07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
alright Travis, thank you so much for the advice! hopeto see you get that 800 bench soon buddy!

Travis Bell
07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
alright Travis, thank you so much for the advice! hopeto see you get that 800 bench soon buddy!

Thanks!