PDA

View Full Version : My strongman training

Ragana
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
So the gym in my area(ish), Jaked Hardcore, does the yearly strongman competition. My buddy and I watched the event last year so we figured it's time to start training.

We don't have much equipment yet so were going real old school for now.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2346/img0092pq.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6194/img0095fm.jpg
Not exactly sure how heavy it is..

My current lifts are:
12 solo flips.
35 tire shrugs
16 ft. drag.

Not really sure what else we can do with it. Any advice?
Anyone have any tips on other gear we can utilize?

BigTallOx
08-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Anyone have any tips on other gear we can utilize?

I made two atlas stones pretty easily, basically by covering a ball in plaster to make the mold for the cement. Here are some videos of the process....

The mold cracked on the first stone, but I was able to still use the stone ( one of my buddies bought it ).

Afu4IFD-Aaw
6EBqHDC8VHA
oBykOKJ13r0
3D0zHfn-Zy8

Here I'm playing around with my second stone for the first time....

GDsdiI1iHAI

I also have a keg that I filled with sand that I use for strongman training....

zbDCZby7kh8

Tom Mutaffis
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Some options for inexpensive training implements:

- Kegs (fill with water or sand)
- Sandbags (duffel bag filled with rocks or sand)
- Tire Sled (car tire with a rope/chain)
- Vehicle Push / Pull
- Natural Stones

You can carry, load, or press the stones / kegs / sandbags which should prepare you for a number of different types of events.

Cmanuel
08-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Also pitbull equipment sells some stuff for pretty cheap. I have a set of the econo farmers on the way for 105 shipped. Google pit bull strongman and it will pop up

Tom Mutaffis
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Also pitbull equipment sells some stuff for pretty cheap. I have a set of the econo farmers on the way for 105 shipped. Google pit bull strongman and it will pop up

I agree on the farmers being a good value, and they also make great logs but the logs are around $300. For a yoke the New York Barbells one might be a better choice and is a bit less expensive.

To contact Pitbull Equipment you can email Alan Benninga at pitbullk9@yahoo.com

Ragana
09-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Well I was being a dumbass.. Was messing around with the leg press .. And I did not wrap my knees. Got 3 decent reps with 1025 and on the fourth, the knee popped. Luckily my buddy was spotting and pushed it up fast enough.

Have a tear in my meniscus now. I guess it's time to be reading up on strongman techniques for next year. Sounds like an excuse to bulk as well.

EDIT: Thanks for the videos BTOS, very helpful. I'll be making some in spring. As for the farmer handles, I don't think it will be too hard to whip something up. I was thinking of filling pvc pipes with cement and drilling handles.

Double EDIT: Reasoning for that is that I just don't have access to numerous plates.