PDA

View Full Version : Does protein intake before bed cause you to put on fat?

I_Esta_5
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Is it good to take in protein before bed if your goal is too gain weight (in muscle mass of course..)? (My BMI is 25)

An article suggested taking protein before bed so your body is fully nourished during sleep. I'm concerned that this habit may make me put on fat I think eating late is suppose to be harmful or something? I sleep at 11 pm and stop eating usually at around 9-10pm. I'm 184lbs 5'11 and I've been on SS for close to a year now, I'm looking to bulk up 20 more pounds.

Is this practice okay?

EDIT: Thanx

tom183
07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, it's fine. Protein wont make you fat. Too many total calories is the only thing that can do that.

I_Esta_5
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, it's fine. Protein wont make you fat. Too many total calories is the only thing that can do that.

but aren't high protein usually followed by high calories? (at least the protein I take in has high calories(. (710 to be exact)

The J-Man
07-28-2010, 07:52 PM
The ammount of calories in a single meal aren't what's going to make you gain or lose weight. If you are taking in more calories throughout the day than you are burning off, you're going to gain weight. As long as you're still within your calorie limit you can take in a high protien meal before bed without putting on any extra fat, but if you're looking to put on 20lbs then you're going to have to up your calories and deal with a bit of a higher body fat percentage. Then after you've made your gains you can lean down again gradually.

tom183
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
but aren't high protein usually followed by high calories? (at least the protein I take in has high calories(. (710 to be exact)

Protein has 4 calories per gram. This means you're taking in 177.5 grams of protein. Are you sure you've calculated correctly?

Skalami
07-29-2010, 07:58 AM
its probably a weight gainer, take a look at the bottle on the back, are their more grams of carbs then protein? For bedtime get a straight protein powder most have around 120cals per serving w/ roughly 20g protein 2-5g fat and 4-12g carbs. Definitely dont want to be downing weight gainer before bed if gaining a little fat is an issue

I_Esta_5
07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
its probably a weight gainer, take a look at the bottle on the back, are their more grams of carbs then protein? For bedtime get a straight protein powder most have around 120cals per serving w/ roughly 20g protein 2-5g fat and 4-12g carbs. Definitely dont want to be downing weight gainer before bed if gaining a little fat is an issue

yes, there are 115g of carbs and it has 50 g of protein and 710 calories. and yes, its a weight gainer.

Raleighwood
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
yes, there are 115g of carbs and it has 50 g of protein and 710 calories. and yes, its a weight gainer.

Lets try to do some critical thinking...

If you are eating at maintenance levels, and then add 710 calories. What do you think that is going to happen?

Protein is technically 4 kcal per gram. However, transforming protein to fat through the various metabolic pathways, requires some energy. This effectively lowers the total impact of these 4 calories. Thus, making protein the least fattening macronutrient.

In your case, your are consuming way more carbs than protein. So yes, if you consume that weight gainer you are going to gain fat if you are in caloric maintenance with your other meals.

Iplan
07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Lets try to do some critical thinking...

If you are eating at maintenance levels, and then add 710 calories. What do you think that is going to happen?

Protein is technically 4 kcal per gram. However, transforming protein to fat through the various metabolic pathways, requires some energy. This effectively lowers the total impact of these 4 calories. Thus, making protein the least fattening macronutrient.

In your case, your are consuming way more carbs than protein. So yes, if you consume that weight gainer you are going to gain fat if you are in caloric maintenance with your other meals.

Now that was funny, and informative.

:outnumber:

Skalami
07-31-2010, 09:12 AM
imagine if a weight gainer powder got relabeled as a protein powder... instead of 70 servings of 120calorie 20 gram protein you get 17 servings of 700calorie 50 gram protein powder... you take 2 scoops before bed thinking youre ingesting around 200calories instead youre downing 5-600 and half as much protein as you thought.

Kinda off topic but isnt it cheaper to get a big jug of protein powder and mix it with some natural high calorie foods like peanut butter? Not only cheaper but probably a better fat/carb source then whats included in a protein powder?