PDA

View Full Version : Novice Strongman contest in NC, Sept 25, 2010

Tamaon
07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
This contest was designed specifically for newcomers to strongman. The Strongest Man at the Y will be held Sept 25, 2010 at the Salisbury, NC YMCA. Events:

-short bus pull

-Atlas stones (180lb, 235, 250)- tacky allowed

-tire flip (550lb tire)- if you can DL 225lb then you can turn this tire over!

-farmer's walk (about 115lb per hand), FW implements are much easier to handle than DBs, so if you can walk with a 65lb DB per hand than you can do this

-Fingal Fingers

Weight classes:

under 175
176-210
211-250
251 & up

Entry fee is $25. I've done this contest before, it's well run and a good time. For more info contact Kenny Seagle at (704) 636 0111 ext 223, email kseagle@rowanymca.com

Salisbury, NC YMCA http://www.rowanymca.com/branches/salisbury/
828 Jake Alexander Blvd West
Salisbury, NC 28144

Media coverage from last year:

http://www.salisburypost.com/News/081709-Strongman-competition

MikeWilliams
07-31-2010, 02:53 PM
sounds like it would be a good time!!

gmen5681
07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
if i wasn't gonna still be recovering from surgery i would be there for sure, that sounds like a great time.

ehopkins932
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a good time...if I lived in NC Id definitely sign up.

Tamaon
08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
sounds like it would be a good time!!

It is a great time, the contest always runs smoothly and is wrapped by by 3pm. I hope some of you guys will come out and compete.

Tamaon
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a good time...if I lived in NC Id definitely sign up.

Why not take a weekend vacation to the Tarheel State?

Tamaon
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Thomas Bowman, maker of Tommy Tack strongman tacky will be there and he's supplying his tacky free for everyone to use on the stone event. He'll also have Tommy Tack tacky for sale, $9.95 for the 4oz jar, and $29.95 for the 16oz tub, by far the best deal anywhere on strongman tacky.

Tamaon
08-06-2010, 06:38 AM
The bus pull and tire flip will each be for 60 feet. Farmer's walk is 50 feet.

Nicky
08-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Sounds like a good time. You should get a good turn out too, since its posted on every forum on the internet. Ever.

Tamaon
08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a good time. You should get a good turn out too, since its posted on every forum on the internet. Ever.

You'd be surprised, it's hard to get guys to compete in their first strongman contest. I have no idea why because everyone has a blast and makes new friends.

Tamaon
08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Aug 23, 2010 around 5pm I will be helping Kenny promote the contest at the University YMCA in Charlotte, NC. Implements will be there for ANYONE to come try out, this practice session is to increase interest among potential competitors. I'll bring some stone tacky so guys can have at the Atlas stones.

University City Branch YMCA
8100 Mallard Creek Road
Charlotte, NC 28262-2238
(704) 716-6700

Iplan
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm so bummed out. I saw the link, and thought, man this would be fun, and it's only 2.5 hours from my house. I ran downstairs to speak to the Warden (er... my wife), and got shot down immediately.....

BTW, does anyone know how to combat the ole "We can't have you hurt, you're too important to this family." plea?

18 years of marriage, and to the best of my knowledge there is no victory over this line. :whip:

Realistically, I'm pretty sure the second Atlas Stone would kill me though.....

Tamaon
08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm so bummed out. I saw the link, and thought, man this would be fun, and it's only 2.5 hours from my house. I ran downstairs to speak to the Warden (er... my wife), and got shot down immediately.....

BTW, does anyone know how to combat the ole "We can't have you hurt, you're too important to this family." plea?

18 years of marriage, and to the best of my knowledge there is no victory over this line. :whip:

Realistically, I'm pretty sure the second Atlas Stone would kill me though.....

People not familiar with the sport make no distinction between strongman, ironman, and tuffman, maybe she think's it's something else? Last time there were a number of guys who lifted the first 180lb stone and didn't even try the next, they set a PR and were happy enough with that. None says you have to go all out and try to lift something you probably can't- this contest is geared towards beginners. This coming Monday- Aug 23 at 6pm- there will be an open practice at the University YMCA in Charlotte, NC. Why don't you come out and just see what the implements feel like? Certainly your wife doesn't want to crush your desire of even learning a healthy and exciting new activity.

Tamaon
08-25-2010, 06:49 AM
There will be 4 open practice days before the contest- Sept 15, 16, 21, & 23. All will be at the Salisbury Y and will be in the late afternoon.

Tom Mutaffis
08-25-2010, 08:48 AM
There will be 4 open practice days before the contest- Sept 15, 16, 21, & 23. All will be at the Salisbury Y and will be in the late afternoon.

Do you keep any equipment at the YMCA off Mallard Creek in Charlotte? I live near there.

IronDiggy
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm kinda far away unfortunately :(

Tamaon
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Do you keep any equipment at the YMCA off Mallard Creek in Charlotte? I live near there.

Hey Tom, no, the Charlotte practice the other day was a one time thing to promote the contest out of town. I helped the Salisbury Y haul the equip. down there and then brought it back. If you ever want to come to the Salisbury Y I can get you in, just send me a PM.

Errrrrrrrric
08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Anyone have any advice for a first timer...I want to give this competition a try but not sure I'm ready...I can walk with 65 lb dumbells and pretty sure I can deadlift 225 but not sure about the stones, bus pull or the fingers...never actually done any of these events and don't really have a way to train with them...but damned if I don't want to just do this and see where I'm at. Just have a feeling I won't be able to complete any of the events and get laughed off the field lol...

sbirgel
08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Anyone have any advice for a first timer...I want to give this competition a try but not sure I'm ready...I can walk with 65 lb dumbells and pretty sure I can deadlift 225 but not sure about the stones, bus pull or the fingers...never actually done any of these events and don't really have a way to train with them...but damned if I don't want to just do this and see where I'm at. Just have a feeling I won't be able to complete any of the events and get laughed off the field lol...

same here I feel like I could do the tire pretty easily and the farmerwalk but no idea on the bus, fingers, and stones haha

Kiff
08-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I dont even think there is any stuff like that in the uk that i have heard of would be cool if there was someway down the line

Tom Mutaffis
08-25-2010, 01:05 PM

same here I feel like I could do the tire pretty easily and the farmerwalk but no idea on the bus, fingers, and stones haha

The weights for this contest are definitely manageable for a beginner competitor. I would recommend coming to give it a try since there will be other Novice competitors there and there are not a lot of opportunities like this; I will try to come out as well to perhaps help out with the contest or coach some of the competitors.

Here are the events and how I would train for them:

Bus Pull:
You can practice by pulling a vehicle or a sled; or an alternative would be any type of high rep lower body training in the 30-60 second range for time under tension (high rep squats / leg press / calf raises).

Atlas stones:
If you do not have access to a stone I would recommend doing flyes, rows, and front squats. This will help you to squeeze the stone, row it into your lap, and then stand up with it. These stones are not too heavy and you should be able to load at least the first stone with minimal training. If the contest allows tacky then I would recommend purchasing some since it helps quite a bit with grip.

Tire Flip:
The best way to train this would be to flip a tire, but if you do not have a tire you can work on front squats, deadlift, and hang cleans or power cleans. When you flip a tire you actually want to drive it forward instead of "lifting it" so as long as you can deadlift about 1/2 of the tire weight you should be able to flip it. Power/Hang Cleans will help you with the transition from your knee when flipping the tire.

Farmers Walk:
You can train for this by doing farmers walk with dumbbells. Since farmers walk implements are typically easier than dumbbells as long as you can walk with 60-75 lbs dumbbells you should be able to do 120/hand on farmers.

Fingal Fingers:
For this you can get a tree / log and practice flipping it over. General body strength will help here and movements like squats, deadlift, and standing overhead press will be good for preparation.

Hope this helps...

sbirgel
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
The weights for this contest are definitely manageable for a beginner competitor. I would recommend coming to give it a try since there will be other Novice competitors there and there are not a lot of opportunities like this; I will try to come out as well to perhaps help out with the contest or coach some of the competitors.

Bus Pull:
You can practice by pulling a vehicle or a sled; or an alternative would be any type of high rep lower body training in the 30-60 second range for time under tension (high rep squats / leg press / calf raises).

Atlas stones:
If you do not have access to a stone I would recommend doing flyes, rows, and front squats. This will help you to squeeze the stone, row it into your lap, and then stand up with it. These stones are not too heavy and you should be able to load at least the first stone with minimal training. If the contest allows tacky then I would recommend purchasing some since it helps quite a bit with grip.

Tire Flip:
The best way to train this would be to flip a tire, but if you do not have a tire you can work on front squats, deadlift, and hang cleans or power cleans. When you flip a tire you actually want to drive it forward instead of "lifting it" so as long as you can deadlift about 1/2 of the tire weight you should be able to flip it. Power/Hang Cleans will help you with the transition from your knee when flipping the tire.

Farmers Walk:
You can train for this by doing farmers walk with dumbbells. Since farmers walk implements are typically easier than dumbbells as long as you can walk with 60-75 lbs dumbbells you should be able to do 120/hand on farmers.

Fingal Fingers:
For this you can get a tree / log and practice flipping it over. General body strength will help here and movements like squats, deadlift, and standing overhead press will be good for preparation.

Hope this helps...

thanks a lot for this it was really helpful...i'll try and make it out

Tamaon
08-26-2010, 08:45 AM

None will laugh at anybody- the guys who do this are all supportive of each other, we're all there to learn and have a good time! I'm not able to send PMs now for some reason, but if you PM me your email address I'll send you the entry form. You should come out to one or more of the open practice days and try the implements out- Sept 15, 16, 21, and 23.

HomelessTrainer
08-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Man sounds like a blast, wish I was in the area for that. Good luck to anyone that's going.

Errrrrrrrric
08-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Bus Pull:

Atlas stones:

Tire Flip:

Farmers Walk:

Fingal Fingers:

Hope this helps...

Tom...Thank you that is a great help...i've been training most of those lifts in an effort to prepare for a competition but your advice gives me a lot more specifics so I am going to revamp my training program a little bit to focus more on those. I think I am going to come up for a practice session at the very least and give the bus, stones and fingers a try, if not all of them. Again, thanks for the advice, trying to do this on my own and pretty much have to rely on what little I can find on the internet, so I greatly appreciate it!

Alex.V
08-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah... ok. I'm there.

Will be interesting, since this will come two months into my marathon training. heh.

Looking forward to it.

Tamaon
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah... ok. I'm there.

Will be interesting, since this will come two months into my marathon training. heh.

Looking forward to it.

Awesome! You'll have a great time, I look forward to meeting you.

Errrrrrrrric
08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
None will laugh at anybody- the guys who do this are all supportive of each other, we're all there to learn and have a good time! I'm not able to send PMs now for some reason, but if you PM me your email address I'll send you the entry form. You should come out to one or more of the open practice days and try the implements out- Sept 15, 16, 21, and 23.

Thanks man, I sent you a PM with my info...will probably be out there at least on the 16th and probably the 23rd as well to give it a try. Just haven't done one yet but I figured might as well see where i'm at. I appreciate your comments and support, I'm thinkin i'm gonna give it a go...if I can't finish an event it'll just give me a starting off point/goal for the next one.

Tamaon
08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks man, I sent you a PM with my info...will probably be out there at least on the 16th and probably the 23rd as well to give it a try. Just haven't done one yet but I figured might as well see where i'm at. I appreciate your comments and support, I'm thinkin i'm gonna give it a go...if I can't finish an event it'll just give me a starting off point/goal for the next one.

You'll have a great time, glad you're competing!

Tamaon
09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah... ok. I'm there.

Looking forward to it.

The events are light enough that's it's good cardio training!

Tamaon
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
The first open practice days will be Sept 15 & 16- Wen and Th- next week. Hope some of you can make it!

gmen5681
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
its looking like my ankle will be good enough to do some of this. i wouldnt be competitive at all but i really want to come and play around. only about 4 hours away. im down in jacksonville, nc. if anyone is along the way maybe we could car pool or something? gas is expensive these days at 13 mpg. lol. i can either come up 40 and go through raliegh and durham and greensboro. or take 421 and hit some of the smaller cities. shoot me a pm if anyone is interested.

Tamaon
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
its looking like my ankle will be good enough to do some of this. i wouldnt be competitive at all but i really want to come and play around. only about 4 hours away. im down in jacksonville, nc. if anyone is along the way maybe we could car pool or something? gas is expensive these days at 13 mpg. lol. i can either come up 40 and go through raliegh and durham and greensboro. or take 421 and hit some of the smaller cities. shoot me a pm if anyone is interested.

Great idea!

dynamo
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm in maryland but after I get the email back about the event details I am probably going to go down there and do this. On minimal sleep. Never lifted a stone before in my life. Thats the only thing that worries me, but I front squat almost 300 lbs for reps and OHP almost 200 lbs for reps so even with no training I should be fine it seems.

ncstrongman
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the Advertising on my TOMMY TACK! I have 3-4 guys coming from our crew currently. I will be bringing tacky to use for stones, sell for future use and giving away as prizes. I also have a substantial amount of Strongman implements personally and anyone is welcome to train with us on training days..which typically is a weekend. I have stones, yoke, tires, farmers, kegs, odd stones, sled for dragging, harness, log press, axle and barbells and 1000+ of plates.

Thomas Bowman ncstrongman@gmail.com 3363503727

See you all Sept 25

Tamaon
09-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the Advertising on my TOMMY TACK! I have 3-4 guys coming from our crew currently. I will be bringing tacky to use for stones, sell for future use and giving away as prizes. I also have a substantial amount of Strongman implements personally and anyone is welcome to train with us on training days..which typically is a weekend. I have stones, yoke, tires, farmers, kegs, odd stones, sled for dragging, harness, log press, axle and barbells and 1000+ of plates.

Thomas Bowman ncstrongman@gmail.com 3363503727

See you all Sept 25

Glad to help Thomas! I'll be there tomorrow for practice. I'll be the guy in the Vibram Five Fingers!

Ragana
09-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Man I wish we had something like this in my area. I might come and do this next year. Good info!

Tamaon
09-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Man I wish we had something like this in my area. I might come and do this next year. Good info!

The next one will be in late March, 2011.

Guido
09-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I'd be all over this if I lived closer to NC.

Tamaon
09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
The forecast for tomorrow is sunny and warm. Weigh in begins at 9am, contest starts at 11am. You guys traveling have a safe trip! I'll be the guy in the Vibram Five Fingers, see you there.

dynamo
09-24-2010, 11:44 AM
heading down from md this evening. ill be the cute one wearing a grey ALN shirt

dynamo
09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Here are my videos from the event. I had a great time. Don't know what place I got because I wanted to go home.

Atlas Stones (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431784281866&ref=mf)
Bus Pull (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431785566866&ref=mf)
Fingal Fingers (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431786696866&ref=mf)
Farmers Walk (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431788431866&ref=mf)
Tire Flip (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431789501866&ref=mf)

Cmanuel
09-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Here are my videos from the event. I had a great time. Don't know what place I got because I wanted to go home.

Atlas Stones (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431784281866&ref=mf)
Bus Pull (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431785566866&ref=mf)
Fingal Fingers (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431786696866&ref=mf)
Farmers Walk (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431788431866&ref=mf)
Tire Flip (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=431789501866&ref=mf)

Not able to view them due to privacy issues. Maybe upload to youtube?

dynamo
09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
weird...I made them viewable for everyone, I'll do youtube. HOLD ON

x1pn1xv1NS4

MzkOGs9Aib0

toI6NTlfenw

Y6Ts40Ctp2s

ZCRVGGho7Ug

Tamaon
09-27-2010, 08:53 PM
weird...I made them viewable for everyone, I'll do youtube. HOLD ON

x1pn1xv1NS4

MzkOGs9Aib0

toI6NTlfenw

Y6Ts40Ctp2s

ZCRVGGho7Ug

Great job! Thanks for posting the vids! I'm working on getting the results, I'll post them soon.

Tom Mutaffis
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I have some pictures and video from the contest (of other competitors, not me) that I will try to post later this week.

Tamaon
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
It was a great contest! Everyone had fun. Check out the Strongest Man at the Y on Facebook, and please suggest it to your friends...http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strongest-Man-at-the-JF-Hurley-YMCA/108665365855375?ref=ts
Stone pics are up, more pics to come!

Some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woXbEMpTHMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvGVl-wg1FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Y-BTmOQI