PDA

View Full Version : UD 2.0 and Texas Method

Keith
07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Copied and pasted from Lyle's forums as I'm getting no responses over there:

Hey guys,

I'm a powerlifter looking to add some quality LBM with minimal fat gain using a bulking version of UD 2.0 mixed with Texas Method training. I want to know your thoughts on the effectiveness of the diet based on this kind of training as it does not involve any high rep work to assist in depleting glycogen stores. I'm open for suggestions so any advice would be highly appreciated! I'm really hoping to increase muscle mass while continuing to work on my strength. Here's how my training looks:

Monday - volume day
Squat: 5x5
Bench: 5x5
Posterior chain work of choice

Wednesday - recovery day
Front squat/Olympic squat: 2x5 (80% of 5RM)
Dips
Chins

Friday - intensity day
Squat: New 5 RM
Bench: New 5 RM
Deadlift: New 5 RM (conventional/sumo)

Here's how I would set up the diet:

Mon - high carb./high cal.
Tue - medium
Wed - high carb./high cal.
Thu - low carb./low cal.
Fri -high carb./high cal.
Sat- high carb./high cal.
Sun- low carb./low cal.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Keith
08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Anyone?

f=ma
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
i dont know anyone who has bulked on UD2. i know that lyle touches on it in the book.. but i have yet to see the results etc. imo give it a try

worst case scenario you will either make no gains or get fat. :P

Keith
08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
i dont know anyone who has bulked on UD2. i know that lyle touches on it in the book.. but i have yet to see the results etc. imo give it a try

worst case scenario you will either make no gains or get fat. :P

I know many who've used it to bulk, but used the UD 2.0 training program as well, not a powerlifting program with lower rep ranges. I'm unsure how effective depleting glycogen will be using something like Texas Method.

EDIT: That worse case scenario is not worth the time and detail I'll have to put into it.

J.C.
08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Doesn't ZenMonkey have a post about this in the Texas Method sticky? You could PM him.

Keith
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Doesn't ZenMonkey have a post about this in the Texas Method sticky? You could PM him.

I've had many conversations with him via PM. I'm looking for more opinions though as many people on the bodyrecomp forums disagree. I really don't want to waste my time and may just end up doing a standard bulk instead even though that's exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Time+Patience
08-06-2010, 09:27 AM
To me it looks like a solid idea. If you're trying to add muscle mass and strength, then it wouldn't be necessary for the glycogen depletions. With the way that you have your days set up for your diet, it looks like you will add the weight, but you have those 2 days of lower carbs and calories to help offset extra fat gain, which to me is ideal. If you want to gain weight, I know you know how to do that, but I assume you want to gain quality weight and I think this diet helps you in that department.

It looks like you have your high carb and cal days set up where they should be. I would if you were to have the lower calorie days that having them around the recovery days, where if I am assuming correctly are the least strenuous workout days. I think it's good to have the medium to higher calories and carb days on the more intense workouts and the following day to allow for extra nutrients for the recovery process.

I think it looks like a fine set-up and that you should give it a try. i tried a lean bulking diet with some of the same theories but changed around a bit, and my strength was never an issue, it increased, while I added no more fat, actually probably tightened up a bit, while adding some noticeable muscle.

I approached my diet by having more medium to lower calorie days and then added 1-2 days of binge eatting and higher carbs and calories and it worked quite well for me.