PDA

View Full Version : Eating late night

ricky0000
05-10-2002, 11:08 PM
How much time should I give myself to digest before going to bed at night......I work nights a couple of days out of the week and I usually eat late.....I thought eating an hour before bed would be ok, but not sure......any thoughts??:confused:

Tiare
05-10-2002, 11:11 PM
I usually eat about 1/2 an hour before bed. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night and eat then too. Just me though, don't know if it's good or not. I don't eat a lot (maybe a glass of milk or something).

F40
05-11-2002, 07:54 AM
I'm going to go down in flames for this, but I eat SHI*LOADS just before bed and it appears to be working - admittedly my BF is making steady upward progress (I have such genetics that I can't even put FAT on) but so is my muscular weight AND my poundages.

For as super hardgainer like me.... it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Wizard
05-11-2002, 09:42 AM
It depends on what you eat.
If you eat some protein or even a small amount of complex carbs you can even eat one our before bed.

smalls
05-11-2002, 11:53 AM
What the Hell. Why in the world would it be bad to eat before bed, and why would it matter what you eat. Calories in vs Calories out. I eat 90 seconds before going to bed and have cut 8 pounds of fat in the last 6 weeks, and will continue to do so. The only problems there could be with it is that some people cant go to sleep after eating, thats it.

Wizard
05-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I don't care about the weight but about the composition: bodyfat versus lean mass. The old "calories in vs calories out" is right as far as bodyweight is concerned but if you want to improve the body composition you have to learn how to manipulate your hormones.

ricky0000
05-11-2002, 12:58 PM
lol, look what I started:D

smalls
05-11-2002, 01:05 PM
Wizard, your kidding me right. Now I completely understand that what you eat WILL determine your composition and I wasnt saying eat pizza and pop. But eating some whole eggs, egg whites and flax is not going to hurt you if you eat it 1 hour before bed or 1 minutes.
So you suggest not eating closer than an hour before bed, in order to increase gh release while you sleep right? I really dont think the difference is going to be significant at all. What do you think.
BTW, i realize i may have sounded like i was attacking you or being rude, I just dont agree with what was said. I actually think you are intelligent and wanted to discuss why you feel this way.

MarshallPenn
05-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, I eat before bed all the time without a problem, but the problem would be if you ate all your caloric "requirements" for the day right before bed. Caloric requirements need to be thought of more as what you need for the ahead period of time that you will be digesting the food. So as long as you eat what you will be consuming while you sleep, you'll be fine.

Dann
05-11-2002, 01:56 PM
if your in bulking i do it all the time, but if your cutting, think again, csue your body's metabolism goes down alot when your sleeping, and if you eat alot or carbs b4 bed too it could intefear with natrual GH release in the sleep cycle, becasue while your body is producing insulin becsue you ate carbs, when enough insulin is present in the blood stream , you body cant release GH into the blood stream, this is why when you inject GH and Insulin together in your body, you get a massive syngerstic effect from them, resulting in alot of mass , and alot of growth, so protein b4 bed is ok, but stay away from those carbs.

oh yea and if carbs arent used after u eat them, they will be stored as fat, so since your jnot as active as night, they are most likey going to be stored as fat, and dont worry about protein being stored as fat, becasue most of the time the protein has a 50%+ conversion rate to blood glucose or fat.

Dann

MarshallPenn
05-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Dann - can you rephrase some of what you wrote, I honestly don't understand. Each paragraph is one long run-on sentence full of non-sequitors -- I honestly think you posted some interesting stuff, I just don't understand it.

Wizard
05-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Ok, I did not say that the difference in the gh will be dramatical nor that it will determine your body composition but I have a better reason to state what I said before.

If you want to have a really good sleep and wake up full of energy as well as to take full advantage of the gh secretion (you must be in deep sleep), you have to avoid high-fat,spicy,or protein-heavy foods(no more than 30 grams of protein).
Overeating can lead to tossing and turning. Instead,opt for sleep-promoting foods such as small amounts of complex carbohydrates or those that contain tryptophan,like bananas,yogurt,milk,tuna and turkey.

Futhermore,what you should really avoid are: cheese,sugar,spinach,ham,tomatoes and chocolate,because they contain a substance that ups the production of a stimulant in the body.This has nothing to do with insulin or gh but they somehow deal with melatonin,so try to avoid them.

Your opinion is almost correct but don't forget that my approach was based on a different point of view.

smalls
05-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Ok, we were mostly talking about different aspects then. I agree with what you said, but even with foods effecting sleep its going to vary form person to person, dont you think. I was eating around 30 grams of fat every night before bed and didnt notice any problems sleeping. So it could be dependant on how the person reacts as well, correct?

Wizard
05-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Correct, as the toleration levels (as far as the late night caloric intake is concerned) vary from an individual to another.
Some main rules apply to everything where science is ivolved.

smalls
05-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Agreed.:)

Wizard
05-11-2002, 03:12 PM
kewl :cool: