PDA

View Full Version : Not Forgotten - Kiaran's Garage Training

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kiaran
08-02-2010, 01:15 AM
So here I am again. Back at it finally. It's been almost five months since I've done anything. Lost about 20 lbs and sitting at 141. Back in March I had a life changing experience. My wife left me and I lost almost everything I worked so hard to build. My wife meant everything to me and I loved her very much. She did not feel the same and I found my love unrequited. I tried for three months to hold on to her as she broke my heart into pieces with things she did. Sometimes life doesn't have a happy ending. But that's life right? I was out on my deck of my new apartment in June, no more house, no more happy marriage, no more gym, no more dog, no more strength, no motivation and the body I worked to achieve was wasting away. The family we were trying to start was over before it began. I almost lost my job and I was lonely as ****ing hell and seriously contemplating leaving this world. It was then I realized I was still a happy man at my core. Nothing will ever be the same for me but I realized one thing. Powerlifting is more than an outlet for me. It defines me and it is my fuel. I found it for myself and made this niche in my life. I love it and will continue to love it until I die or my body doesn't work anymore. Things came around for me and through a lot of work I have overcome many emotional obstacles. I have a long way to go still but I can see my future again. My motivation has returned. My fire is burning again. It's just me now and that's just fine. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. ****in' A Right.

I rebuilt my gym in my single car apartment garage. You see, I sold everything to try and save my marriage. I thought it was a solution to an unsolvable problem. A lesson I had to learn. Rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up. Just finishing up a few small things this week. I'll have photos of the new place up this week. It came out great and I can't wait to SFW in there.

I have some goals in mind. I will keep them to myself but my journey begins soon. Looking forward to training and logging in here again. I feel I'm finally ready to step back onto the platform. Going to take it slow until I can get some strength back and get my diet in check. I still have my foundation, so this is going to be interesting I think. My main goal is to recreate myself and rise from the ashes I crumbled into. Life is just ****ing strange and sometimes you have to live your worst nightmare and overcome your greatest fears to learn the most valuable lessons. Looking forward to training along side my brothers in iron on these forums again.

-JM-
08-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Keph, t takes a lot of guts to do what you just did. To put it all out there like that.

I am truly sorry to hear about this situation. What a 30th ****in' year? Unless anyone has experienced an event like this it is impossible to even imagine how you felt so I think it would be insincere of me to try and offer some advice or spout a quote to comfort.

Keep the head up and keep moving forward. I know this is the interwebs but if there is ever a time you need a rant we are all here to listen. I know there will be a lot of us really glad to have you back. Looking forward to seeing you crush weights again. You will be back to where you were and beyond in no time.

Again, glad to have you back, friend.

StLRPh
08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Best of luck with everything Kiaran. You'll find a lot of support here.

Coke
08-02-2010, 10:13 AM
We're with you 100%, as you well know. No doubt you've been tested on several levels but at least the worst is over and now you are moving on, building the new life you deserve, everything will fall in place.

Kiaran
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Flynn: Thanks a lot, bro. Means a lot to me. Truly looking forward to the next chapter of my life. I'll be stopping by everyone's journals again soon. So dig in and keep kickin some ass!

StL: Thanks bro! Appreciate you stoppin by in here. You are correct about this place.

Coke: Always appreciate the support, bro! You're an inspiration for sure. I look forward to training next to you and everyone else in here again.

Kiaran
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Finishing up the gym tomorrow evening. Just wanna wipe everything down and get some photos at this point. I'll start my routine on Monday. The DOMS are gonna be crap I'm sure. I'm going to do a modified 531. It is geared to maximize healing time and growth for my bench. I found that Benching and Military Pressing on separate days wrecked my elbows too much. So I've spaced them out to my optimal 4-5 days rest between and merged the two lifts into the same session, with Bench being the focus. I've spaced my deadlift out to my optimal once every other week. I'll hit deads on my 5s week and my 1s week. And Squats once per week has always yielded my best gains as well. Excited to see the results. Routine looks like this:

Week 1 (5-5-5+):
Monday: Squat / Lunges / Core
Tuesday: Bench / Milies / Chins
Thursday: Deads / Seated DB Cleans / Core
Friday: Dips / Extensions / Ropes

Week 2 (3-3-3+):
Sunday: Bench / Milies / Chins
Wednesday: T-Bars / Curls / Ropes
Thursday: Bench / Milies / Seated DB Cleans

Week 3 (5-3-1+):
Tuesday: Bench / Milies / Chins
Thursday: Deads / Seated DB Cleans / Core
Friday: Dips / Extensions / Ropes

Week 4 (Deload):
Sunday: Bench / Milies / Chins
Wednesday: T-Bars / Curls / Ropes
Thursday: Bench / Milies / Seated DB Cleans

Time to get busy!

brihead301
08-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Man, I'm very sorry to hear that. I was wondering what happened to you. Women can really f*** your head up man....it's happened to many of us before. Damn right whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

Nothin more really to say about that, other then it's great to see you back around again. I'm looking forward to seeing you put my a** to shame with some of your crazy numbers that you put up!!

I'll be checkin in!

Kiaran
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Here's the new setup. Came out pretty nice. EFS cage, EFS bench, same Ivanko PL bar and Ivanko plates. Built a new platform and adjustable squat box.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/20100805154029.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/DSCF2514.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/DSCF2527.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/DSCF2526.jpg

borracho
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Nothing will gut punch you like a woman.

I am glad to see you back on your feet and looking forward to seeing the new journey.

StLRPh
08-09-2010, 08:23 AM
You've got a great set up in the garage, time to get to it!

Coke
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
You are awesome Keph, very creative...way to bounce back with the new gym.

-JM-
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Awesome set up, Keph. EVERYTHING you need right there.

SFW!

Kiaran
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
John, StL, Coke, Flynn: Thanks fellas. I'm doin my best to bounce back. Gonna take a little while but the worst is over no doubt. Warrioring forward through this life ****.

Kiaran
08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Monday, August 9th, 2010 - 531 Cycle 1, 555

16" Box Squats
95 x 5 (w)
135 x 5 (w)
180 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 10

BB Lunges
45 x 5 (w)
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

Band Ab Pulldowns
AvgBand x 20
AvgBand x 20
AvgBand x 20

Ropes
x500 (broken sets)

Rock bottom baby! Lol, 230 felt about like 300 on my shoulders. My knees were squeeky and my ass kept cramping up. Not ****ing kidding. My ass kept cramping...guess it's used to just sitting for the last 5 months. Glad I made it through with no injuries and gave moderate intensity. 230x10 was tough for sure. Eating like a pig now and I've got some ground to cover in the next 8 weeks.

The gym is definitely different. Smaller and very cramped to work in. Not for the claustrophobic. But it's mine and I love that. Gonna take a little time to get used to. Bench tomorrow!

LPZq-ff6wYU

Lunges w/ 115 (left) & Band Ab Pulldowns (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Lunges-115-08092010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BandAbPulldowns-AvgBand-08092010.jpg

Keith
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Ah, you're back! How did I miss this journal??? I was thinking about you the other day wondering when you're coming back and how you've been since the separation.

First off, I want to tell you how terribly sorry I am that you out of all people experienced this kind of event in your life. I can say with confidence you didn't deserve that in anyway. Obviously I don't know the details, but you deserve a much smoother ride in life than that. As I'm sure you know, it only gets easier and better from here on out -- keep that in mind. Starting now, you'll only become stronger in every way possible and I wish you the best of luck reaching your goals in life inside and outside of training. I'll definitely be around whoring up your journal like always. You've got a ton of support on your side and it's only going to get better!

That's a hell of a workout to start out with! You're already squatting more than me! LOL. Too bad you had to downsize, but of all the people on here, I know you can make any room into the most ****ing bad-ass place to SFW!

Great to have you back!

NickAus
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I have a lot a respect for someone who writes that for all to read, you really put it all out there and that takes guts I know!!

You have some big balls man, I wish you all the best and to be honest you seem like the type who will bounce back pretty quick.

Look forward to seeing your numbers climb fast, awesome new gym you got!!

Glad I had a look in here bro!!

john o
08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I was just visiting some journals and happened to stop in yours. As Flynn said it took a lot of guts to expose your vulnerabilities like that. No matter how strong we get in the weight room we aren't always strong enough to conquer all life brings. Quitting is the only way to lose. Training area looks top notch and that's an impressive debut all things considered.

borracho
08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Awesome way to break in the new room, K. You'll be back to 315 in no time!!

LuNa
08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Im so sorry to hear about all the things that happened. Writing it all down here, for everyone was a great first step to move beyond what has been your life the last months. You have earned so much respect for doing that.

The new set-up looks great and im loving the detailed posts once again. 210 is not bad at all, for someome your weight, after a long lay off with everything that happened. Looking forward to you putting my numbers to shame again, weighing almost only half that i weigh :p.

StLRPh
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Great first workout back, something to be proud of and to build off

Brian C
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Just to repeat everyone else bro, it takes a big man to do what you did and come back with new goals. When I was 22, I went through the same thing. I lost my wife who was my High School sweetheart and thought all was over. But I got back on the horse and carried on and now am happily married with 3 kids. Its a real tough journey, but trust me, things will turn, and it seems that it already has. Even though were all invisible friends on here, the support shown here is priceless, and like you know, reliable advice can be had. Dont hesitate to drop an IM if you need to unload some crap on someone. Being one of the old heads around here, ive already walked through life. Its not the end, but a new beginning. Great work so far on your new adventure, and I look forward to watching you surpass your old self bro. Stay strong:thumbup:

brihead301
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Ya man, I always loved this journal because I can always count on some pictures and videos....good stuff!

After a 5 month layoff, it's definately understandable that the squats aren't going to be that easy. Hell, after even 1 week of no training, I come back and I feel like my body is all out of wack! I can't even imagine how hard it would be after a few months!!!

Way to suck it up and train anyway though bro....you'll be back at it and hitting PR's in no time!

Kiaran
08-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Keith: Dude, I really appreciate what you said there. Thanks a lot, bro. No doubt the support in here is top notch. My squats are still gonna be off a 16" box, which is about 4" up from parallel for me. I'm ****ing sore as hell today. My house hasn't sold yet and if it doesn't, I may move back in and just say **** it and turn the whole damn place into my bachelor pad, lol! Thanks for the words, bro.

Nick: What's up man! Thanks for stoppin by my journal. And thanks a lot for those comments. I don't hide behind these forums, never have I guess. I just spit it and I am what I am. I hope I can gain my strength back quickly with no injuries. I'll see ya round, bro.

John O: I hear ya bro. Thanks for the words and stopping by my journal. I'll definitely be stoppin by to pay you some respect. I hope to have some awesome workouts in the coming months!

John: Thanks bro! Ugh, 315 is a long way off. Hopefully in another 10-12 weeks I will be puttin it up again though.

Luna: I appreciate those words, bro. Thanks a lot for the support. I can't wait to get back into shape man! Looking forward to training here again with you all.

StL: Thanks a lot, bro!

Brian: Man thanks for the words and encouragement. Sounds like you've been there. Really appreciate the support, bro. I know things are gonna get better and the worst is over. Looking forward to crushing some weight in here with you all again!

Bri: lol, thanks bro. I will definitely continue posting the pics and vids. I hear ya on how quick strength and size goes out the window with a layoff. I'm definitely sucking it up and just doing what needs to be done right now. PRs will fall before the sun sets on this year.

Kiaran
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 - 531 Cycle 1, 555

Bench Press
45 x 5 (w)
45 x 5 (w)
95 x 5 (w)
115 x 5
145 x 5
165 x 10

Military Press
45 x 5 (w)
65 x 5 (w)
80 x 5
90 x 5
105 x 10

Ring Pullups
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Holy **** I'm sore today. Feel like I've been beaten with baseball bats all over my body. But it feels sorta good in a masochistic way. I'm really tired too. Trying to get extra sleep. Bench was terrible, but I trucked through it. My form felt lousy and shaky. And to think I dusted 160 for 21 reps just 6 months ago. Gonna get there again, mark my words. Military Press was tough and pullups were just sad.

I may actually switch my routine to just a basic split for right now and put the 531 on the back burner. Wanna take advantage of my "newb" gains that I will probably get. So I may actually cycle some lifts a little faster than normal for now. Bring on the pain :drooling:

r6M0bQNGrX4

Military Pres w/ 105 (left) & Ring Pullups (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/MilitaryPress-105-08102010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/RingPullups-08102010.jpg

Coke
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Can always appreciate the way you go at it man, great job.

john o
08-11-2010, 08:16 PM
You lose it quick, but, you get it back quick as well. Looks like you are the type that doesn't mind "paying his dues." Those types get stronger.

StLRPh
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
That's an excellent upper body session. Chins are very solid! Keep on killing it in the Garage and things will come around quickly

Keith
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Holy ****, when did you get so many tats?! Are they new? I actually didn't think that was you in your avatar. Good idea on taking advantage of newbie gains, but don't you think you can do that with 5/3/1? It's a very basic routine and you could make it as basic as you want and just eliminate some of the accessory work if recovery's an issue at this point. 160x21 will be yours soon again, I know it!

NickAus
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah bro good work and keep the traing shots coming- good to see what people are doing!!

borracho
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Holy ****, when did you get so many tats?! Are they new? I actually didn't think that was you in your avatar.

That's what I was wondering..haha. Def makes an awesome avatar and ain't nothing like the feeling of a new tat.

Hope you're ready for the inevitable DOMs tomorrow in your chest dude!! Always awesome.

-JM-
08-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Benchin' wasnt too shabby K and you know it will be back to where it was soon.

Wouldnt the 531 suit? You can make it as basic as you want, eh?

Keith
08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
but don't you think you can do that with 5/3/1? It's a very basic routine and you could make it as basic as you want

Wouldnt the 531 suit? You can make it as basic as you want, eh?

Pfffft, you think you sound smart by reading and copying what I say? :clown:

Kiaran
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Coke: Hah, I just like doin my thing bro. Thanks for the props!

John O: Thanks bro. I don't mind paying my dues indeed. I know results are just over that hill and I know what awaits.

Keith: Lol, yeah...I got some new ink. I had a lot to say in the last 5 months. Still got a lot more to say. I found ink as an outlet to express myself and make mementos to myself of things I have learned that I don't ever want to forget. It's where I'm at I suppose. I love it and it quite a bit. The one in my avatar is well done. It's one of my old 45 lb plates cracked in two under the bar with 5pps on it. It says "Not Forgotten" under it. Not gonna get into it now but there's a lot behind that one. You're gonna kill me for what I'm doing as my routine now...lol!

Nick A: Thanks bro! You can count on it in here.

John: Thanks bro! No doubt, I love tats. Got about 6-7 more I want. Dude, the DOMS ****ing sucked today and yesterday. Gettin through it though. Gonna be time to open up a can in a couple weeks.

Flynn: Thanks bro, yeah I know I have to be patient. No problems there. 531 would suit for sure. But you know how the greedy iron-bug goes :D

Kiaran
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 - DE Deadlift (that's right)

TKEs
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 20

Band Hip Abductions
LightBand x 15
LightBand x 15

Speed Deadlift
45 x 2 (w)
135 x 1 (w)
135 x 1 (w)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)
225 x 1 (60% ?)

Speed 14" Box Squat
45+AvgBand x 2 (w)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)

Band Hip Pulls
Mini x 10
MnstMini x 10
MnstMini x 10

Band Bridge
AvgBand x 10
Avg+LtBand x 15
Avg+LtBand x 10 (feet on 11" box)

Ab Wheel
Knees x 10
Knees x 10

Ok, so I know I said I'd never do Westside again...but it's an abusive relationship, what can I say? It beats me down and then says "come on back baby, I won't do it again" and I say "ok, I love you." Seriously though, I do have a plan this time. Not gonna share it just yet but I wanna see how it works out. Pretty excited about this actually.

That said, this was where it's at. I had an awesome workout. Felt so good to get under the bar today and you know me and deadlifts, so that felt excellent. Speed was actually pretty good. I kept everything real light. Got to try out the new band pegs on the cage and all I can say is wow! Those things are easy as pie and work so much better than loaded up dumbbells as anchors. The bridges didn't do **** and I won't be wasting my time on that ever again. Trying to find something to replace my GHR since I don't have one anymore. Gonna have to be pull throughs I guess. Anyhow, DE Bench on Sunday.

Also, I'll be stopping by more journals on Saturday. I haven't had a ton of time this week so I apologize to you guys that give me support.

Iytstud4LI0

Speed Deads w/ 225
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SpeedDeads-225-08122010.jpg

Speed 14" Box Squats (left) & Band Hip Pulls w/ Monster Mini Band (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Speed14InchBoxSquats-135pAvgBand-08122010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BandHipPulls-MnstMini-08122010.jpg

john o
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Good luck with the new plan Kirian! Bar speed is a plus for sure..

NickAus
08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Speed looked good!

borracho
08-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Yaaaay for WS! Nice to see you DLing...looks like you're right back at home with that bar in your palms.

-JM-
08-13-2010, 03:21 AM
K's GHR..........RIP. I knew you'd miss that thing, bud.

Toight session. Right back in it. Bigtime! Westdide booyyyeeeeee!!

StLRPh
08-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Good start to your journey with WS. And the vids/picture are making me a little jealous of the setup in your garage

Coke
08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Fine speed work guy, way to showcase your training visually here at WBB.

Kiaran
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
John O, Nick, John, Flynn, StL, Coke: Thanks fellas. Appreciate the comments and encouragement. Speed was junk on those squats but it will improve. Everything is actually already improving at light speed. People are gonna think I'm on something. Metabolism is already way up, gaining weight nicely, strength is coming up. I do miss my GHR...RIP for sure.

Kiaran
08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Sunday, August 15th, 2010 - DE Bench

H-Rolls
10s x 15
10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
5s x 20
5s x 20

Speed Bench
45+DM x 3 (w)
45+DM x 3 (w)
95+DM x 3
95+DM x 3
95+DM x 3
95+DM x 3
95+DM x 3

Ring Chins
BW x 10
+25 x 6
+45 x 6
BW x 10

Military Press
45 x 10 (w)
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 3

Skulls
20 x 20 (w)
40 x 15
60 x 10

Little bit short on time tonight so I hustled sets on this one. Would have liked to get another set or two of just about every movement in. But a great workout anyway. Glad to put plates up on Mils again. Speed was slow at first on bench but started coming up on the last two sets. Gonna just keep moving forward. Gained 2 lbs this week so that was good. Camera ran out of batteries so not many photos on this one.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SpeedBench-95wMinis-08152010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/RingChins-w45-08152010.jpg

john o
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Love the positive strides Kirian. Very impressive ring chins.

StLRPh
08-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Like the looks of this session. No fluff and got a lot done.

borracho
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Wow..very nice OHPs considering you havent been lifting dude! And very nice chins as well! Looks like you retained quite a bit!

NickAus
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Great OHP!!

The ring chins are HUGE.

Coke
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice job throughout, made good time with that effort.

Keith
08-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Haha, +1 for Westside. I can see myself going back to it once I come back from the gym itself and meeting Louie Simmons and the rest of the elite lifters, haha. I shouldn't, but I probably will. I, however, don't have a love/hate relationship, I have a love/love relationship with it. Westside is a difficult program to really get into training alone in your garage, though, from what I've learned. I'd really like to get a small group together and train together at my house using a Westside template but I've advertised for free and it's not going to happen. Their loss but mine, too. Whatever. Why don't you want to share your new plan? I want to know it! And I hate when my camera dies! Great work, though, dude. Glad to see you're back at it.

Just an idea about the GHR that I came up with. You definitely don't need a station to do them.
MwXH0GqJbrY&feature=player_embedded

Kiaran
08-16-2010, 09:41 PM
John O: Thanks bro! I love chinups. Wanna get back to repping out +90 for sure.

StL: Definitely. Thanks bro! BTW, got a name I can call ya besides "StL"?

John: Thanks bro. The OHPs were hard as ****! I'd like to get back to repping 150 on that thing. Hopefully by October.

Nick: Thanks a lot bro! I love the ring chins.

Coke: Yeah I hate hustling my workouts but sometimes you gotta do whatever it takes. Thanks for the props, bro!

Keith: Yup, Westside owns. I love it...until I fall apart and get mad. I'll share my plan if all goes well. Just be about 8 weeks of testing is all. You're totally gonna go back to Westside. Training alone with it isn't the end of the world. If you got good catch pins and a smart brain, there's nothing to fear. Board presses are a challenge but there are articles on EFS about how to train WS alone. Pretty helpful actually. I'll have to fiddle around and find a way to get my GHRs in. Those things helped so much when I did them. I need a way to add resistance. Thanks bro, and have fun in Ohio!

Kiaran
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Monday, August 16th, 2010 - ME Squat

TKEs
LB x20
LB x20

Hip Abduction
LB x15
LB x15

16" Box Squat
45 x 3 (w)
135 x 3 (w)
185 x 3 60%
225 x 3 73%
245 x 3 80%
275 x 3 90%
275 x 3 90%

BB Lunge
45x5 (w)
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5

Pullthrough
MM x 10
MM x 8 (ass cramped up)
MM x 10
LB x 10

Band Ab Pulldown
AB x 20
AB x 25
SB x 20
SB x 15

Good session. Squats are coming up. The weight felt much better on my shoulders which means my core is strengthening up. I am estimating my percentages since I don't have a real max quite yet. Lunges went much better than last week. I could have hit 155 for a set of 5 but I don't want to over do it right now. My ass actually cramped up on the pull throughs. Rest tomorrow and then it's ME Bench Weds night. Probably take it up to two sets of 195x3. We'll see though. Hope you like the picture of me doing a pull through...lol

4vS1esvTNH4

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BBLunges-135-08162010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Pullthroughs-LB-08162010.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BandAbPulldowns-08162010.jpg

borracho
08-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm sure your October estimate for the OHP is gonna be on point.

And nice job on the Squats man...probably feels good having some weight on the back!

john o
08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm glad I can't view your pelvic thrusts :) Great squat effort though! +90 on chins:omg:

StLRPh
08-17-2010, 06:24 AM
seem to be hitting your groove with things

brihead301
08-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Jumpin right back into Westside huh? That's pretty bada** man!!!!

It looks like you almost haven't even missed a beat....your sessions are still sick, and you're puttin up some impressive numbers too!!

Muscle memory is awesome, isn't it!?!

johnnyo_99
08-17-2010, 08:23 AM
i'm liking the journal bro - tough times in life bring out the best in us. your garage setup is sweet too

nickp8
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
I've been checkin out your log since you brought it back. It's cool to see that you are back in the game. Strong squats, too. You will get your strength back quickly. Quick question, which Elite rack did you go with? I am starting to price out some equipment for my garage and definitely want an Elite rack.

Kiaran
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
John: Hey thanks bro. Yeah, definitely feels good to put a little weight on my shoulders again. Not too sore today, so my body is remembering.

John O: Lol, well that's a damn shame. Thanks for the props, bro! Yeah, the +90 was starting to feel comfortable back in February. I'll get there again before the sun sets on this year.

StL: Just doin my thing, bro. Thanks!

Bri: Hell yeah, Westside is my favorite bro! Appreciate those words. Muscle memory is a pretty incredible thing. It's like your body has the ability to lay dormant. I sorta wanna read some studies on it cause it's like a nuclear bomb went off in me this last week and things are growing out of control right now. Very interesting stuff.

Johnnyo: You said it, bro. Thanks for the props and stopping by my journal. Appreciate the kind words!

Nick P: Thanks bro! I'm just gettin started. Gonna break some PRs again one day soon. Awesome about settin up your own garage gym. I recommend the Elite FTS 2x2 rack for a number of reasons. Mainly the 1" hole spacing in the bench press zone and the 2" hole spacing everywhere else. You can't beat that when you train alone because you can set the pins wherever you need to. The quality of their racks is incredible too. Definitely do the 0-90 bench, pullup bar, and bottom band pegs too. Extra J-cups and spot pins is nice if you have several people training at once. Also, the parallel bar dip attachments are ****ing awesome! Worth every penny. Go with a cool color too!

Kiaran
08-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 - Extra

Ropes
x1000 (non-stop, 3 misses, 8:05 m)

Grippers
Sport x10
Sport x10
Sport x10
Trainer x10

Neck Work
Random neck movements

Honestly I'm feeling really good. Got addicted to cigarettes when the **** hit the fan back in March and I haven't smoked one now in almost two weeks. Happy about this and I was amazed that I hit my 1000 ropes tonight with almost no misses and in a pretty respectable time.

Grippers are tough but good. A low moment for me was March 20th. When I found out what my ex wife had done. I put my fist through the wedding picture, glass and all, blood spurting everywhere. I then flipped a book case halfway across a room, and began putting my fist through a wall repeatedly until my sister stopped me. I had put my fist repeatedly through a 5 inch gap of wallboard on a pillar in my house surrounded by two studs, one on either side. Not sure how I missed the studs but I did. I damaged the tendons in my right hand from hitting the wall and luckily didn't break any bones. I'm thankful that nobody was behind my wrath that night aside from inanimate objects. Gripping things, even shaking hands has been very painful for the last five months. Getting back to training is actually helping though. Not sure how, but my hand is almost back to full strength after two weeks of training. I couldn't even close the Sports with my right hand last month because it was too painful. Still felt a little pain tonight on the grippers but it's about 200% better than it was. So I'm really happy about this. Life is so ****ing weird.

ME Bench tomorrow night!

johnnyo_99
08-18-2010, 02:53 PM
son-of-a-b man! I've got scars on my hand from similiar bouts of rage, haha - and a woman was behind it as well! life is weird!

borracho
08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
The best anger management I ever had was a cast for 2 months. During a fight with my ex I punched the counter, breaking the 5th metacarple. That **** set me back a solid 5-6 months total cause even after the cast was removed my hand was still super sensitive...wouldnt even dare shake hands with people for a few months.
Anyway, glad to hear you quit smoking, that **** is nasty for you...hit the crown bottle instead :)

Kiaran
08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
John99: Yup, they do that to a man. I've got scars too, lol!

John: Yeah, same here bro. I didn't have a cast but might as well have. I knew I was incapacitated and had to cool my jets with my messed up hand for awhile. Thanks for the words, bro. Yeah, smoking sucks. I was addicted to the bottle for a few months too. The side affects of relationships gone very very wrong I guess.

Kiaran
08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 - ME Bench

H-Rolls
10s x 15
10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
5s x 20
5s x 20

Bench Press
45 x 6 (w)
95 x 3 (w)
135 x 3 (62%)
155 x 3 (72%)
175 x 3 (81%)
195 x 3 (90%)
195 x 3 (90%)

T-Bars
+45 x 10 (w)
+135 x 8
+180 x 5
+180 x 5
+135 x 15

Dips
BW x 10
+25 x 8
+50 x 8
+75 x 3

Seated DB Cleans
20s x 10
25s x 10
25s x 10
25s x 10

Pretty good session tonight. Trained with two of my good friends, which was a nice change of pace. 195 felt heavy on bench but my second set was actually better than my first. T-Bars were tough, definitely lost some strength there. Dips felt awesome though. It's nice to be back to regular dips and not have to do them on the stupid rings. Ring Dips are ****ing worthless. I pretty much just got good at doing ring dips. They translated to nothing. With parallel bar dips you can lockout your elbows at the end of the movement, which is where I need it. So I really think I'm gonna get a great carryover to my bench from these. Happy about this. Probably gonna do DE Squat tomorrow night.

Dips w/ +75 (left) and Seated DB Cleans w/ 25s (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Dips-w75-08182010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SeatedDBCleans-25s-08182010.jpg

NickAus
08-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Those dips look cool!!

Great overall training bro!!

-JM-
08-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Dips are an awesome movement. You make an important point too. Its knowing the difference in doing something (and they may be hard as hell) that will carry over well to your big lifts or just something that will make you better at that particular thing. I am sure you will start pumping out some big sets of weighted dips soon enough. Training is on point and v consistent. You are onto a winner here K!

Sorry to hear about the number you did on your hand. Glad its on the mend. Imagine channeling that rage into a squat, eh? Not that you EVER want that feeling again. Fight or flight mechanism is nuts.

StLRPh
08-19-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm sure bench will come back soon with the hard work you're putting in

Coke
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Great overall training bro!!

No joke, looking vey nice throughout.

john o
08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Did a nice job with that one K!

nickp8
08-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Good work on bench. I wish I could do dips, but they make my elbows scream.

borracho
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Thats effin amazing you're still able to dip that much bud...good things to come!

Kiaran
08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Nick: Thanks, bro! Enjoying the dips and training for sure.

Flynn: Definitely agree with you, bro. Dips are incredible builders when done right. The rings just don't allow you to fully lockout without becoming too unstable. The parallel bars work so much better here. I am usually able to channel that adrenaline into my deadlift. Works wonders, lol! Thanks for the props, bro.

StL: I hope bench does come on back soon. But it won't be without a lot of work. Gotta get my triceps stronger. Arms are my weak point.

Coke: Thanks, bro, appreciate that!

John O: Thanks a lot, bro! Puttin my heart into it.

Nick 8: Thanks bro. Yeah, dips can be a killer for some people. That's how I feel with skulls if I don't get them at the perfect angle. Painful on the elbows.

John: No doubt, thanks a lot bro! Gonna pay my dues and reap my rewards. Love this game.

Kiaran
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Friday, August 20th, 2010 - DE Squat

TKEs
LtBand x 20
LtBand x 20

Band Hip Abductions
LtBand x 15
LtBand x 15

Deadlift
45 x 3 (w)
135 x 5 (w)
225 x 3 (55%)
315 x 1 (77%)
365 x 1 (90%) (+belt here)
405 x 1 (92%)
440 x 1 (100%)

Speed 11" Box Squat
45 x 2 (w)
45+AvgBand x 2 (w)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)

Band Hip Pulls
Mini x 10
MnstMini x 10
MnstMini x 10
MnstMini+Micro x 10

Ab Wheel
Knees x 10
Knees x 10
Knees x 10
Knees x 10

Well ****, I guess I can still deadlift. I was a little nervous going into this one tonight. I knew I was sore as **** from Wednesday and I haven't pulled anything over 315 lbs in 5+ months. Training has felt good though and my strength is creepin back. So I knew I had to get that first pull session out of my way and that would gauge where I was really at strength wise. I'm very happy with the results tonight and I think some good things are headed my way with Westside. I hope I can kick the doors off 500 when I reach 160 lbs again. It definitely felt good to put some weight in my hands and feel my CNS kick into overdrive for that lift. Work capacity is definitely improving. Got a tough week ahead and then I will swap out the lifts or deload depending on how I feel. I don't plan to deadlift heavy again for 3-4 weeks.

Edit: I weighed in this morning (Saturday) and was a couple lbs heavier than I anticipated yesterday. I thought I was sitting at about 145, and it turns out I am 148 today. So my pull was a couple lbs short of a 3X BW, lol, damn that ever elusive 3X!

In other news, I have decided to take my house off the market and keep it for myself. My ex is moving out and I will bust my lease at this apartment and move back in at the end of September. This means I will have my old gym back...which means I have a heater in there for winter time. Happy about this. It will be an emotional hurdle to live there for awhile but I'll get over it. Feelin good tonight.

jjwGZIW1cDs

Speed Squats 11" Box w/ 135+AvgBand (left) and Band Hip Pulls w/ MnstrMiniBand (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Speed11InchBoxSquat-135wAV-08202010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BandHipPull-MM-08202010.jpg

Ab Wheel
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/AbWheel-Knees-08202010.jpg

john o
08-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Awesome deads! Can't wait to see what you have in store with a few more months of training.

LuNa
08-21-2010, 04:32 AM
AMAZING sessions again, it is so good to see you back in here. Good to hear you will be moving back into your old place. As you said, it will be tough in the beginning, but im sure the old gym will help with dealing with that.

Sick deads dude!

StLRPh
08-21-2010, 06:38 AM
big pullling, other work looks really solid as well

Coke
08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Glad to see you get the chance to keep the home front intact where your home gym is concerned, i was concerned about that...seeing you move on in this manner is great, make no mistake.

borracho
08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Dont even know wtf to say to that pull...damn dude thats ****ing impressive.

Keith
08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Interesting to hear your perspective on ring dips. I thought they would translate more-so than stationary dips. They have a higher muscle fiber recruitment but I get what you mean about locking out. I may sell mine. I already have a dip station and that's about $80 I could have in my pocket. Think I should sell 'em?

Dude, you CAN still pull!!! Very impressive at your body weight. I just made a PR doing the same weight as you, except I'm 30 lbs heavier and I have a suit on, haha. That'll keep climbing up and up for you as you're just getting back into it. That's scary to think about.

Great news about your house. That's awesome to know you'll have that insulated garage to train in. I hear ya on the bad memories part, but you'll definitely get over it within time. Keep that head up no matter what!

Brian C
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Yo K, training has been on point and looking huge bro! Ive been practically dead for 2 weeks and missed alot. Really like your decision on going WS again. I think youll see some quick gains soon. Keep it up bud. And glad to hear youll have your old pad back too!

nickp8
08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
That is a pretty big pull. Real solid work, I am sure you will get back to 500 quickly.

NickAus
08-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Look forward to seeing what you can do on W.S, the right combo of max/dynamic/rep work will be great when you find it and you already know your body well.

Good luck!!

brihead301
08-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Holy s*** dude, I forgot how strong you were!!! You're bw/strength ratio is insane!!!!

Nice tats you got there too, are a lot of them new?

jed
08-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Keph!!!!!!!!! I am so jubilant to see that you have returned! What great motivation for me to get back into the business myself. Seeing you overcome such a terrible thing in your life his so awesome to many people. Knowing how bad a girl can get to me after 4 or 5 months and you going through that and pulling through is just great, God bless you man (I know you aren't religious but still) and I can't wait to see you gain some weight back and start totally f***ing weight up again. You have always been a prime source of motivation for me and with you back it really helps me want to get to smashing iron myself. Many others along with myself are very, very happy to see you have returned to f*** stuff up.

That tattoo is ballin' as f*** bro, that gives me some ideas of my own! Great stuff, did you design it yourself? Let's see a pic of that hand! Sounded like a hell of a bout with the wall and picture, sounds like it was a draw. I've punched through a few walls myself but nothing to the extent of what you did to your poor house/apartment ;) Have you considered a punching bag? I have one and that's what I usually beat up on when i'm feeling pissed off. Not wrapping up and letting the knuckles bleed always feels nice and takes care of my rage. I think we all have a little sadist in us. That new gym looks mighty fine bro, glad to hear that you get your house back also to get some warmth in there during the winter.

You still look great at ~140 bro... And I seriously am totally amazed you yanked 440 @ 148 after not deadlifting for months. That is a SIGN! And so is your hand somehow healing up by loading up pounds of weight and constant pressure on it during workouts ;) Keep smashing this stuff bro. NOTHING can stop you now, that's for God damned sure bro. Looking forward to the future!!!!!

Not sure if youre an Eminem fan, but I like this one "Till I Collapse"... "'Cause sometimes you feel tired, feel weak. And when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up. But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength and just pull that sh** out of you, and get that motivation to not give up, and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse."

hods347
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
http://orlandobarbell.com/finally-a-home-glute-ham-raise-machine/

This might solve your GHR problem. I haven't used it, but I figure if Brian Schwab does, it's gotta be pretty good. Wouldn't take up too much space in the garage either.

Keith
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
...hopefully you're just too busy to post.

Kiaran
08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
John O: Thanks bro! I can't wait to see how things progress either. Feeling strong this week.

Luna: Thanks a lot bro. Unfortunately I will not be able to move back into my place afterall. Such is life. Appreciate the props!

StL: Thanks bro!

Terry: Thanks bro, I appreciate those words. Unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to keep my home afterall. No worries though, the new gym is growin on me...literally!

John: Lol, thanks bro. I appreciate that!

Keith: Sorry, bro, been so damn busy and last week was a piece of crap. I'm back now though. Appreciate what you got to say there. Nah, don't sell the rings. I still use mine for pullups cause they are so nice on the wrists and really carry over to my deads well. That's still badass about your vacation to Westside and your monster ****in pull! I'm keepin on keepin, bro, don't worry. Not gonna be keepin the house afterall either. Liking my new gym more and more now though.

Brian: Hey bro, how you doing? Thanks for the words! I'll have to stop by your journal and see how you're coming along. Hope everything is alright. Dude, I love Westside. It just doesn't always love me. Gotta train smart, that's all.

Nick 8: Thanks bro! Hell yeah, I'd love to get over 500!

Nick A: I am too, bro. I definitely love Westside training. Thanks for the props!

Bri: Lol, thanks a lot, bro! Appreciate those words. Fires me up and keeps me motivated. Yeah, a lot of my tats were me expressing myself through my divorce. I found something I really enjoy: ink. Got about 10 more things I want, lol!

Jed: Well holy ****! What's up dude? Man I appreciate all you got to say right there. Religious or not, sometimes everyone could use a little God in their life, including me, so thanks for that bro. I'd love to pickup a punching bag. That's a great idea. Could have used it last week for sure. I'll be stopping by your journal soon. Hope everything is going well, bro. I am an Eminem fan and I need to pick that track up. Great lyrics! I'm just gonna keep on doing my thing until I am broken or dead. I love this sport!

Hods: Hey bro, thanks for stoppin by. I am definitely gonna take a closer look at that. It looks perfect and affordable for sure! Thanks for throwing that out there.

Kiaran
08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Monday, August 30th, 2010 - DE Bench

H-Rolls
10s x 15
10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
5s x 20
5s x 20

Speed Bench
45 x 6 (w)
45 x 10 (w)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (62%)
165 x 12 (76%)

Military Press
45 x 10 (w)
75 x 5
95 x 5
125 x 5
140 x 3

Ring Chins
BW x 10
+25 x 8
+45 x 6
BW x 10
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Skulls
40 x 10 (w)
65 x 8
80 x 8
60 x 15

Panoras
MM x 20
MM x 20
MM x 20
LT x 20

Didn't post last week as it was a **** week. I did get all my lifts in though and actually had a pretty awesome squat session. Just didn't have time with everything going on. I will actually not be keeping my house after all, unless it does not sell by next July. I won't go into details but it's just best I sell it. I am liking my new gym more and more anyway so no worries. Just gonna have to nut up and lift in the cold come winter time. Get my warrior spirit on and just do it.

Bench is getting better each session right now. Really pounding my triceps. Gonna make them grow and I think it is the key to a bigger bench for me. I'm up 8 lbs right now and feeling good. Everything is growing quick and my CNS recovered finally from the deadlift session. I may do some lighter pulls on Friday and pull big next week. Deload will happen after next week. Switched ME lifts for this week and next to Incline Bench and Goodmornings. So far so good.

Panoras w/ Light Band
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Panoras-LT-08302010.jpg

Kiaran
08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 - ME Squat

TKEs
LT x 20
LT x 20

Hip Abduction
LT x 15
LT x 15

Goodmorning
45 x 5 (w)
45 x 5 (w)
95 x 3 (w)
135 x 3 (54%)
185 x 3 (74%)
205 x 3 (82%)
225 x 3 (90%)
225 x 3 (90%)

BB Lunge
45 x 5 (w)
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5

DKBs
AV x 15
AV x 15
AV x 15

Band Ab Pulldown
AV x 25
ST x 25
ST x 25

Sorta a double post going on here cause I didn't post yesterday. Tonight's session was a nother awesome one. Haven't done GMs in years. It is something that carries over very well for me and gives my knees a little rest, which is perfect. My ass and hams were shaking like hell at the bottom of the GM. And I thought my ass was gonna cramp up near the end of the last set. I don't have a current 1RM on GMs yet so I just kept doing sets of three until it felt pretty tough. At that point I made that my 90% set and picked off my six reps in that zone. Once I run a couple more cycles I should have more accurate numbers going on in the percentage ranges I want.

Pushing the envelope a little with everything this week since I have some good energy. Lunges were tough but not too bad actually. Probably could have done a little more but I'll save it for next week. I made up the deep-knee-bends with a band movement. Just calling them DKBs. Tossed an Average band over my self and went as quick as I could. Sort of remind me of Panora presses. My legs were toast after that. Just gonna keep on moving forward. ME Bench on Thursday with Inclines!

48vedGXC22A

Lunges w/ 155 (left) and DKBs w/ Avg Band (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Lunges-155-08312010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/DKBs-AVBand-08312010.jpg

jed
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Great work bro, glad to see your bench is coming up. If it means anything, i'm pretty sure you're right about the triceps. As you know, I have no chest and some pretty strong triceps, and my bench has always been solid. Therefor i'm pretty certain (at least for me) bench is mainly triceps. Get those puppies strong and we'll see how the bench is doing. How are your elbows? So many people have had problems I don't recall if you've had problems with them also too. Sucks about the house. Just means in the winter you'll have to keep your workouts all that more intense to stay warm! Hell, maybe kill all the lights and start a fire and do it caveman style. Keep up this great work bro.

NickAus
08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Good work and I like your bull tat on the shoulder bro!

Coke
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Everything is looking great, back on point with it all and ready to raise up again.

john o
08-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Lots of good lifting this week K!

borracho
09-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Thats some strong GMing dude! Sucks to hear about the house but you know what...that lets you have a fresh start on life which is a plus, IMO. But man I feel for you on the winder workouts...I remember trying to workout in the garage back in the day...~36ish degrees...effin COLD. And I am guessing your situation will be similar :D Fun times ahead for you!

StLRPh
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Strong work, you're coming along quickly

Keith
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear about the house, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right? Great to hear you're liking your gym more and more these days. It's bound to happen. Throw a rack anywhere in the world and sooner or later, it'll start to feel like home, right? How come only singles for speed bench? I think I will sell my rings because I could use the $80 and my chin-up bar has two different kinds of grip that I like for different reasons. I never did like them for chins, anyways. I liked chinning off a stationary bar, I felt stronger and more stable. Great to hear your bench is getting stronger and you're putting on weight! Everything will increase very nicely with that. Bundle up during the winter!!! It gets hellish cold! The only thing I can't stand, is gripping onto my bar during the winter. That actually hurts. I think I'm joining a gym for the 4 cold months this time around. It'll be a good change of pace, too. Sweet tricep shot!! Looking great at your weight! GMs looked great! I never do a max single either, it's so easy to cheat and squat it up, lol. But yeah, GMs have a great carryover to your squat and pull which is why I made them as a ME exercise, too. **** those are heavy lunges! Your lunges always impress me, lol.

mchicia1
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Your gym looks sick man!

Brian C
09-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Real solid sessions K! Your looking pretty thick too, good sh1t!

Cmanuel
09-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey look who's back! I'm really sorry I haven't been in here K. Didn't realize you were back at it and had a steady journal going once again.

I am sorry that you had to go through such crappy times. Life will through some messed up curve balls at you, I know i've had quite a few of my own. But hey, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger, right?

Are you still living in the same general area? We need to have a SFW session again. There is a push/pull and DL only comp in October I am considering doing...other than that I will be competing the first week of December in Denver for a PL Meet. I will definitely need to try for some maxes, and I think your badass garage gym will be the perfect place to do so.

Its good to have you back man. I will be here every day cheering you on as you progress beyond beast mode.

Oh and BTW, Sick 'effin tats!!!! Im jealous

Kiaran
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Jed: Lol, I will definitely have to start a fire right outside the garage and get my caveman on for lifting in the winter! Thanks for the words, bro. Means a lot. I am working on getting my triceps way up. Definitely a weakness.

Nick: Thanks a lot bro! The Taurus on my right shoulder was my first tattoo. The Bear on my left shoulder is my favorite tat though.

Terry: No doubt, bro! Hit a couple PRs tonight. The first of many I hope. Thanks for your unwaivered support, man.

John O: Thanks a lot bro. I gotta get by your journal this weekend and see what you've been up to. Thanks for the words!

John: Yeah, I am hoping the garage here doesn't get disgustingly cold. I will probably throw a space heater in there and crank that thing for a bit before I lift. Should help for about 10 degrees or so. It will be interesting, lol! Thanks for the support, bro!

Matt: Thanks, bro. Just doing my thing, lol! Strength is definitely coming back.

Keith: It's alright, man. The house is just a physical thing. I wish I could sell the memories in my head and be done with those too, lol! Thanks for the words and support, bro. No doubt a rack anywhere in the world would eventually become a sacred church to me. Seriously, these gyms I build are my holy ground. Blood, sweat and tears into that ****. I usually keep my bars in the house in the winter time. Even with a heated garage, only the air is warm when you heat it up, the iron and steel stays ice cold. So in the house it goes. If it's too terrible, I'll hit up 24-Hour Fitness for some lolage. Lunges are brussel sprouts for squats, dude. I love those things but I hate them at the same time. Do them and do them heavy!

Mchicia: Thanks bro!

Brian: Thanks bro, I really appreciate that. I'm workin hard and tryin to put some weight back on. Up about 8 lbs right now. Got another 15 to go. Wanna compete int he 165s, hovering around 166.

Chip: What is up bro! Lol, I just figured you disowned my ass from the community. Thanks for the words, man. We will definitely SFW sometime soon. Although I gotta get a couple more plates for your strong ass. Only have 4pps right now...and I saw you were talking about doin 6, so I better save up.

Kiaran
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 - ME Bench

H-Rolls
10s x 15
10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
5s x 20
5s x 20

Incline Bench Press
45 x 5 (w)
95 x 5 (w)
115 x 3 (62%)
135 x 3 (73%)
155 x 3 (83%)
170 x 3 (92%) (PR +2r)
170 x 3 (92%)

Bent Rows
45 x 10 (w)
135 x 10
160 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 4
135 x 10

Dips
BW x 10
+45 x 8
+90 x 5 (PR +1r)
BW x 10
BW x 10

Seated DB Cleans
20s x 10
25s x 10
25s x 10

Awesome session tonight. Felt strong! I have not incline pressed in about 4 years. It used to be a huge weakness of mine but I felt pretty good tonight. Definitely a great movement to rotate on my ME days. Rows felt solid and the form was solid Pendlay style with Rippetoe hip drive goin on. Dips felt incredible and I was totally out of gas by the time I did the third set of DB cleans so I called it. Probably get a short workout in tomorrow evening or I may wait to Saturday. Overall, this was a great week for training. Strength is starting to surprise me again. Sitting at about 150 right now. I hope the gains continue and it was nice to hit my first couple PRs since being back!

Also, all the tricep work I'm doing is already paying off. Noticing some new thickness in my elbows and bench is feeling quicker in the usual stick point. Was able to grind through some tough spots on dips and push even when it got extremely tough on the last two reps of 5 with +90.

_cYhmXHiDzY

Dips w/ +90 (left) and Seated DB Cleans w/ 25s (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Dips-w90-09022010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SeatedCleans-25s-09022010.jpg

jed
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
A very fine workout my man! I can't believe some of the sh** you pull. Not inclining in 4 years and not lifting in however many months and you snag a 2 rep PR on inclines? Fantastic. That's a solid ass workout bro, I love the numbers on the incline @ your bodyweight, and the rows are stellar as usual. Nice to hear you are seeing some noticeable difference in your tricep strength and size - always a great thing to see. Good week for sure bro!

-JM-
09-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Missed a couple sessions in here K. Looking solid.

How often are you rotating your ME exercises? Interesting choice with the GMs and inclines. I have never used either of those. Not to say I wont.

Glad you are killing K. Truly was a great week of training. Whats the BW at now. 158-60?

NickAus
09-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Nice PR's!!

I found when my incline max went up so did my close grip bench and shoulder press......bet its the same for you!!

Cmanuel
09-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I would never disown a brother in iron!!! Im gonna send you a PM here in a bit. We will organize something soon.

Keith
09-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Awesome work, dude! After 4 years of not doing any inclines, that's definitely decent weight at your body weight. I forgot about H-rolls! I should add them in before bench or as an accessory exercise. Solid rows, too! Great to hear the weight is climbing steadily and noticing some thickness in your triceps which will definitely help with your bench. Your dips disgust me. I don't think anyone on here has you on those. Out of curiosity, do you ever plan to compete? And do you ever plan to dip into some gear?

john o
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
That had to be a surprising PR. Great job!

Coke
09-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Way to resume those inclines after so much time, workouts are on point K.

nickp8
09-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Strong pr on the inclines man.

Kiaran
09-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Jed: Thanks bro! Yeah, defnitely lovin the incline press. Just attacking everything I can think of around the bench press to get it to move forward. I think the PRs were a little inflated cause I really have not done parallel bar dips or inclines in forever. Bound to have some residual strength carryover to those lifts from what I used to train. Appreciate the props as alway, broseph!

Flynn: Thanks for the great words, bro. I'm rotating ME movements every two weeks right now. What I'm doing is week 1 with two sets of 3 reps at 90%, and week 2 take it up to a 1RM, then rotate lifts. Plan to deload every 3rd or 5th week depending on how I feel. Bodyweight is at 149 right now, lol!

Nick A Thanks bro! Awesome, yeah I like the inclines so it will be cool to see what the carryover is like.

Chip: Lol, I know you wouldn't bro. Just givin ya ****. We can definitely get together soon and lift. I seriously need to get some more plates though. Appreciate the words man, awesome to have such great friends in this community. I'll respond to your PM a little later.

Keith: Thanks bro, yeah the inclines felt pretty good. I was surprised! I remember them being very difficult and always kicking my ass. I think they were not bad because I always do Military Press now...something I used to never do. Hell yeah, H-Rolls rule! Get those in there. Lol, my dips feel good! Your Kroc Rows disgust me. I do actually plan to compete. I may enter in something as early as November just to get my feet wet. Looking forward to it! Got about 15 lbs to fill out though.

John O: Definitely! Thanks a lot for the encouragment, bro!

Terry: Thanks bro! I think the inclines were better than they used to be due to the amount my Military Pressing went up. Definitely has carryover.

Nick 8: Thanks a lot bro!

Kiaran
09-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 - DE Squat

TKEs
LT x 20
LT x 20

Hip Abduction
LT x 15
LT x 15

Speed 12" Box Squat
45 x 3 (w)
135 x 2 (w)
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2
185 x 2

Walkouts
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
405 x 1

Speed Deadlift
45 x 5 (w)
135 x 3 (w)
225 x 2 (w)
315 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1

SL Situps
BW x 15
BW x 15

Was in a bit of a rush on this session. Overall it went pretty well. Did some walkouts, which I haven't done in ages. 405 felt like a ****in truck on my back. I'd like to see that change in the next month. Deads felt pretty smooth. 315 was a little slow but not too bad. I switched back to my leather belt this session to see if I could tell a difference between my spud-inc nylon belt. I would have to say "yes". I noticed quite a difference when I threw on the nylon belt for the last set of deads. The leather belt definitely gives me a better wall to push against...so I will be using it from now on I think. The Sud-Inc was nice while it lasted :hello:

Speed 12" Box Squats w/ 185
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Speed11InchBoxSquats-185-09032010.jpg

Walkouts w/ 405
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Walkouts-405-09032010.jpg

Speed Deadlifts w/ 315 (left) and SL Situps (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SpeedDeadlifts-315-09032010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/SLSitups-09032010.jpg

Keith
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Great to hear you plan on competing. Would you do it raw or do you plan on trying out some gear? Speaking of, do you own a pair of briefs or cheap ones like I have for support (Inzer Power Pants)? I was reading the Westside book and Louie highly recommends ALWAYS wearing them when doing speed work, otherwise your hips take too much of a beating. What does LT stand for? 315 for speed deadlift?! Deaaam, lol. Do you think they were too heavy to be trained for speed? 405 would feel like a truck on my back, too, lol. I just picked up a new belt, finally a proper one, and it sure does make a difference! I'm glad I made that purchase, should have made it sooner.

-JM-
09-05-2010, 04:11 PM
K, thats a tidy session. I will remind you of this post when you squat that 405. Soon enough my friend.

I know you said you were ''149, lol'' but you have a great coefficient. Over double BW deads for speed. Not many folks would be at that. I hope you do compete this November.

john o
09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice speed work Kirian!

Coke
09-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Heavy walkouts can indeed be killer at times...good speed work with the box squats and deads.

NickAus
09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Love the speed work Kiaran!!

Brian C
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Great speed squats K! Great to hear your going to compete too!

jed
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Love that speedy workout, bro. Those speed deadlifts at 315 lbs is crazy dude. Like Flynner said, being 150 and pulling 315 for speed is ridiculous. You would be a fool not to compete, IMO!! Agreed with the belt deal. I have never found a more solid belt than a nicely worn in leather one. Lol @ the 405 feeling like a truck, that's gotta be some heavy weight on your back. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the guts to put that much on right now and i'm 30 lbs over you! Solid session as always man.

nickp8
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
That's a badass DE day. Really solid deads.

NickAus
09-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Kiaran,

What are some things you think have helped your deads most?

Kiaran
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Keith: Thanks broseph! I would compete raw of course. No gear for this guy. I'm old school and just like to see what I can do with chalk and a belt. I have actually never used any gear at all. I read that once about Louie. Probably a good idea...but I am not squatting below parallel so my hips stay pretty healthy to be honest. LT Stands for Light Band. I need to just spell it out on my future posts cause I'm even confusing myself, lol! Yeah, the 315 felt pretty good. The first rep was a little slow but reps 2-5 were pretty good for me. Awesome you got a new belt! I'm thinking of getting a new one but I ****in hate breaking them in. I love my red belt but I'm out growing it. Might get next size up in red. Did you take advantage of the huge band sale on EFS last week? I meant to and forgot. Was like half price for that ****!

Flynn: Lol, please do remind me of that session. Thanks for the props bro. Very encouraging and I appreciate those words. I do plan to compete very soon, no worries.

John O: Thanks bro! I love speed days.

Terry: Thanks bro, yeah the walkouts always jump start my system for some reason. Tells it to get ready for what's coming. And it usually works.

Brian: Thanks bro! Yeah I think it would do me some good to get my feet wet and compete. Looking forward to it.

Jed: Lol, thanks a lot bro! I appreciate those words. More and more people are telling me that it's a waste for me to not compete...and I'm starting to listen. So yeah, I'd like to do something in the near future. Get my feet wet and then start making goals and move from there. Ugh, 405 did feel pretty heavy. Like my spine was gonna snap. I'd like to be able to carry 500+ up there. So probably do another set of walkouts in four weeks or so. Just keep shocking my system.

Nickp8: Thanks a lot bro! I love Deadlifts.

Nick A: Thanks a lot for the kind words, bro. Here is sorta a list of things I came up with after thinking about your question. Enjoy:

What Helps My Deadlift?
I wasn't always a natural puller. I used to be stuck at a 95 lb bent row and couldn't pull 275 lbs to save my life. I weighed as much as I do today too. I put a lot of time into the lift and discovered that I actually had a pretty good pull when I trained the right things. Here are the things that helped the most with my Deadlift. Take it or leave it, this is what worked for me:

1) Form. Starting with hips higher and perfect setup every pull. I look down and make sure my feet are exactly relative to the bar for where my leverage is strongest. They are in the exact same spot every pull. I use a pretty narrow stance, making sure my feet are directly in line with my knees, which are directly in line with my hips when I look down. I think of making perfectly perpendicular lines to the ground through my feet to my hips. My grip is just about shoulder width and it seems this works best for my body. When I pull, I know when the weight has broken my form in my lower back. Depending on how badly it has been broken, I will let go or hold on and pull through. I know the danger here but it's a judgement call you make on a heavy pull. I have never failed a lockout, so I know if I get passed my knees, I got it. Personally, I think strong lats and a good grip are key to a big lockout.

2) Breathing. I take a huge breath before I reach down for the bar. I used to get down and set my hands and all that and waste a bunch of strength. Now I prepare mentally while I'm standing. When I'm ready, I breath all my air out until it almost hurts. Then I take a huge breath in, as big as possible, hold it and go. Don't waste time down at the bar. Squeeze the bar hard and pull.

3) Video yourself. Learning your own form and where your leverages suck is key. The same form does not fit all. You need to find where your optimal leverages are. I think the same goes for all lifts actually. For some, it is natural, others need to find where it is. It is easy to get caught up with what everyone tells you on form and ignore what your body does naturally. I found watching myself through a lense helped understand what was really going on. The other thing this helped me understand is my energy output. Sometimes the weight feels heavy but when you watch the replay, it was pretty fast. This tells you that you got a lot more in the tank. I watch so many guys pull and they say it was their 1RM, but it looked easy or like they didn't give it their all. The point here I guess is let it all out. Make some ****ing noise, turn red, the form will break a little but don't let go and pull through it if you can. That's a 1RM.

I found these lifts to help most with my Deadlift:

4) Heavy pullups. Really heavy. Like +90-115 for reps. I really think this helped my lockout and stabilization on the lift.

5) Low-Bar Squats. This helps me get the bar off the floor more than anything. I get no carryover from squats if I use a highbar. Low-Bar changed everything for me.

6) Heavy Bent Rows (Pendlay style). This really helped me with stabilization and being able to handle heavier loads. It's just a great back movement, IMO.

7) Heavy Ab Pulldowns. Core is key to heavy weight. If your core is weak, your form will break and you'll never pull the lift out of a nose dive.

8) Heavy lunges. Heavy and low reps. Don't puss out on these, they work. Really these help my squat and if my squat goes up, my deadlift goes up. Sorta a no brainer.

9) GHR. I miss my GHR. These helped my Deadlift imensely. I worked up to sets of 10 with an average band around my neck. GHR helps everything grow. Everything.

jed
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
What an excellent write-up on what has helped you deadlift. That's not just for Nick, that's for all! Could you post a vid sometime of some heavy ab pulldowns? I am unsure if i'm doing mine correctly. They feel nice but I have the cable machine maxed when I do it and I can do it really easy, so that tells me I might be cheating. Thanks broseph!

Kiaran
09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 - DE Bench

H-Rolls
10s x 15
10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
5s x 20
5s x 20

Speed Bench
45 x 3 (w)
45 x 3 (w)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
145 x 3 (67%)
175 x 12 (81%)

Military Press
45 x 5 (w)
105 x 5
120 x 5
135 x 4
150 x 1 (fried)

Ring Chins
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Skulls
40 x 15 (w)
60 x 10
80 x 8
90 x 6

Panoras
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 12 (toast)

Great session here. Triceps are really coming along. Excited to see how the next 6 weeks go. Last week I barely finished 165 for 12 reps on bench and this week I nailed 175 for 12. And I this was after a heavier load for speed session stoo. Speed felt pretty good as well with the 145. I didn't have a whole lot left in the tank for Milies on this one, but I'm not gonna complain. Letting my lats heal a bit here and just did bodyweight chins.

Something should be said about the skullcrushers. So I used to have terrible pain in my elbows while doing these. There is somthing important to mention here that I noticed. My left wrist is much weaker than my right. And I noticed I would let my wrist lay backwards on these. I noticed I did it on all my pressing movements. This is the culprit of my elbow pain. What happens is the wrist lays back and then the the weight pushes it even further. This in turn stretches that tendon through my elbow with a terrible leverage against it. So I started doing my skulls with my wrists curled forward as much as possible (when it's heavy they wind up being about parallel to my wrists). And guess what? It's hard! Which means it's a weakness, which means problem solved. And no elbow pain. I know this is gonna solve my bench elbow problems too because my elbows used to be sore to the touch always. And right now? They feel perfect! Keep those wrists forward and do your extensions.

K_kdgRyzBFU

Military Press w/ 150 (left) and Ring Chins (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/MilitaryPress-150-09052010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/RingChins-09052010.jpg

Skulls w/ 90
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Skulls-90-09052010.jpg

jed
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Loving that workout, bro. Good scientific observation with the wrists linking to elbow pain. I noticed that long ago when I used to have serious elbow pain, I tried benching with my wrists as straight as I could and keeping my wrists strong, which I'm pretty sure was a factor in helping them heal. How do your elbows feel on Panoras? Mine haven't hurt for a while, but yesterday I did cable pushdowns (I think about the same thing as panoras) and my right elbow really flared up. Anyways, this is great news that you have no pain now in your elbows! Such a simple fix, eh? Definitely looking forward to see where your triceps take you in the pressing department. Things are shaping up for you, man!!

Kiaran
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 - ME Squat

TKEs
AvgBand x 20
AvgBand x 20

Hip Abduction
LightBand x 15
LightBand x 15

Goodmorning
45 x 6 (w)
45 x 3 (w)
135 x 3 (w)
155 x 3 (63%)
185 x 3 (75%)
205 x 3 (83%)
225 x 1 (92%)
235 x 1 (96%)
245 x 1 (100%)
261 x 1 (106%) (PR +16w)

BB Lunge
45 x 5 (w)
135 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5

DKBs
StrongBand x 15
StrongBand x 15

Band Ab Pulldown
AvgBand x 25
AvgBand x 25

Sorry about the double post again. I was ****ing lazy and didn't post the other day. Anyway, this was a great session tonight. I was in a huge ass hurry because I had an appointment to go to at 7pm. I was very pleased with my GMs tonight. My right Hip Flexor is a little pulled so I could feel it nagging a little bit when pressure would build up and I was controlling the bottom of the GM. 261 was hard but an all time PR on the movement. The angle of the camera sucks but the bar actually will roll forward if I don't lock it in tight at the bottom. This is more of a power GM, and I get great carryover from these to my Squat and Deadlift. Had the lucky blue half-pound plates on there and they came through once again. I really think I could have scored 275 tonight.

Sped through lunges and increased resistance on the DKBs. The DKBs done fast for 15 reps with a strong band got the pukey in my stirring and my quads lit up like fire crackers. ME Bench tomorrow with inclines. Should be interesting. Hoping for 185 for one rep.

HVUHByJmCTY

Lunges w/ 165 (left) and DKBs w/ Strong Band (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Lunges-165-09072010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/DKBs-StrongBand-09072010.jpg

Kiaran
09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
What an excellent write-up on what has helped you deadlift. That's not just for Nick, that's for all! Could you post a vid sometime of some heavy ab pulldowns? I am unsure if i'm doing mine correctly. They feel nice but I have the cable machine maxed when I do it and I can do it really easy, so that tells me I might be cheating. Thanks broseph!

Loving that workout, bro. Good scientific observation with the wrists linking to elbow pain. I noticed that long ago when I used to have serious elbow pain, I tried benching with my wrists as straight as I could and keeping my wrists strong, which I'm pretty sure was a factor in helping them heal. How do your elbows feel on Panoras? Mine haven't hurt for a while, but yesterday I did cable pushdowns (I think about the same thing as panoras) and my right elbow really flared up. Anyways, this is great news that you have no pain now in your elbows! Such a simple fix, eh? Definitely looking forward to see where your triceps take you in the pressing department. Things are shaping up for you, man!!

Thanks a lot for the those words, bro. I'll post a vid up of pulldowns next week. You're probably doin them just fine. If you feel it in your abs...you're doing it right. Yeah, the wrist thing has plagued me for years. Glad I figured it out. I'm excited to see where benching goes with new triceps and elbows and wrists too. Definitely a simple fix. My elbows feel fine after panoras. Again, it depends on how I place my wrists. Try some different angles on the lift.

StLRPh
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Congrats on the PR, you're coming along very quickly!

ThomasG
09-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Strong good mornings! Careful with the hip, have you heard of joe defrancescos agile 8?

nickp8
09-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice pr on the goodmornings.

john o
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Good job with the good morning PR and bench improvements!

-JM-
09-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Great speed on the bench K!

I have been rolling on a PVC pipe every evening and I have found that it really helps the hips especially. Not sure if you have ever used PVC pipe but is way easier to roll on (although more painful) than foam.

NickAus
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Great speed bench and OHP bro!!

Thanks for the deadlift help.........I have taken note.

Keep up the great work!!

Keith
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Ah, stop being lazy and posting double workouts. Now I have to respond to so much more at one time!

Yeah, I get why you're not getting into gear. Once I get into mine, I really hope for a great carryover. You're right though, if you're not squatting or pulling wide, there's no point in briefs for joint health. You'll be fine, conventional seems to treat you damn well. I didn't take advantage of the band sale, although it was a good one, I already have minis, monster minis, lights and now averages, lol. And I really don't want to order anything from there unless I have to. If you're a Canadian, you get raped up the *** with shipping and brokerage fees. Ridiculous amount. I like to do it with multiple people so we can at least split it.

Great good morning! Yay for a PR! Looks like you have 275 in you, too! They do have a great carryover to the main lifts. I think I'll do them mainly as an accessory exercise instead of an ME movement. Since I'm already cycling between both deadlifts and two different kinds of squats, throwing it in as an ME exercise is just too much cycling. What are your thoughts? Maybe a ME(ish) movement after squatting from time-to-time?

Great write up, man. I was waiting to see where you quoted that from, thinking it'd be from a 800 lb+ puller. I agree with all points, especially recording yourself. During a ME, I've recently been watching my final sets to judge the speed, then think of what weight I'll add instead of thinking about how difficult it was. It's a big difference for me!

You do realize benching 175x12 @ 150 is DAMN impressive, right?? I don't even know if I can do that and I've got 30 lbs on you! And overhead pressing your body weight is sick, too! Very impressive stuff, dude. Looks like you went for an ME attempt on that, eh? lol. I wish I could get away with doing skull crushers your way without elbow pain. Damn you!

Coke
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Looking outstanding all around, the way you illustrated your efforts with pics/vids can't be beat.

borracho
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Great writeup on the DL accessory movements. Thats one of the things I value most on WBB forums..being able to learn/get ideas from other people. Its not necessarily going to help you, but it definitely adds other movements to your personal arsenal to choose from.

And I am super impressed you've already cruised up to a BW+ military press...thats effin awesome. Very solid training!!

brihead301
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Dude, WTF???? You leave for like 6 months, and now you come back SMOKIN IT!!! 150 press (isn't that heavier then you weigh? haha, j/k), and a damn 260+ lb. GM!!!! Beast!!!

I knew it wouldn't take long brotha!

mchicia1
09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Takes some serious balls to do a good morning with that weight. Nice work.

mchicia1
09-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Dude, WTF???? You leave for like 6 months, and now you come back SMOKIN IT!!! 150 press (isn't that heavier then you weigh? haha, j/k), and a damn 260+ lb. GM!!!! Beast!!!

I knew it wouldn't take long brotha!

I know, doesn't it make you sick sometimes? I wish I had those genetics.

Keith
09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I know, doesn't it make you sick sometimes? I wish I had those genetics.

That ain't genetics, that's some hard ass work!

jed
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
+1 for what Keith said!

That GM was f***ing sick dude. I watched that vid and was amazed, that is some damn fine work my man. The most i've ever had on a GM is like 155 and it scared the hell out of me, you must have a couple of big bronze balls if you don't mind me being blunt. What exactly is the purpose of deep knee bends? They look fun and challenging. Love that workout anyhow man, hope incline pressing went well. It's been a few days - I sense another double workout post. How did you injure your hip flexor? Lunges?

Kiaran
09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Matt, Nickp8, John O, NickA, Terry, Mchicia: Thanks for those kind words, bros! Always appreciate the support!

Thomas: Thanks bro, yeah I am definitely letting it recover a little bit. I looked up the agile 8 and no I have not ever heard of it. I like what he had to say though and I'll definitely start doing some of those stretches. Thanks for the words and help, bro!

Flynn: Thanks bro! Yeah, speed felt real good on that last session. PVC pipe to roll on? You must like pain, lol! I use a foam roll from EFS. I like it quite a bit but yeah it still hurts.

Keith: Wow man, thanks a lot for those words. Really appreciate the support and all bro. I do need to stop being lazy and post more of my workouts. I will do better next week, I promise. My divorce is actually final next Saturday and I have a contract on my home so things have been crazy lately. That sucks you guys get charged out the ass for where you live to order from the States. I wouldn't mind picking up some of the short bands to see what they are like. You are probably right about cycling too many movements by throwing in GMs for your routine. Do what works for you, bro. LOL at the 800 lb puller quote. I just said what I think when I deadlift. Figure it might help some and be worthless to others. I actually did not go for an ME attempt on the military press...I was hoping to pick up an easy double with 150. It didn't turn out that way and instead I barely locked out 150 for one rep, lol! Sometimes that's the way it goes. Thanks again, bro!

John: Thanks a lot, bro! Yeah, I agree with you about WBB. I am like a sponge and absorb lots of knowledge from everyone. I always think it's badass that we can post along side pros of our sport. Sorta surreal actually.

Jed: Thanks bro! The GM was tough but not terrible. The DKBs really only served to get more blood flushed through my quads and make them feel worked. Just a little extra volume through the tissue minus the weight on my back is all. Nothing special. They are actually fun when you got a band over your shoulders. Who knows where I pulled my hip. Just happens, lol!

Kiaran
09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Thoughts

Pretty good night. Went out with some friends and all so I didn't actually workout. Did ME Bench on Wednesday night and things sucked. Failed 190 twice for a single rep. No big deal as what I realized is that I was pretty damn tired. Lots going on lately as my divorce is legally final seven days from Saturday (tomorrow) and my ex tried to pull some more incredible **** right here at the end to screw me over. Anyhow, the house finally has a contract on it and hopefully all goes well and the inspection goes well, etc. so it can finally be sold and off my financial plate. Gonna go help my buddy with yardwork tomorrow morning and then relax the rest of the day.

Other thoughts have been floating around my head. Re-read Wendler's 5-3-1 book, I love that thing. Now that a lot of my strength is coming back I sorta wanna step back into 5-3-1 for a couple cycles and see how it goes. I was thinking Boring But Big. Just want lots of complex lifts, lots of volume and it looks perfect. Something I have realized about my training for the past years is that I over do things on my assistance work. I am always trying to one-up the last workout, lifting heavier instead of smarter. I noticed on nearly all the Westside templates and a lot of the 5-3-1 templates that they prescribe real high reps for the assistance work. High reps and lighter weight. Like the weight almost isn't as important as flushing the blood through the muscles. I noticed that I get great results from the couple higher rep movements I've been doing. So again, BBB may just be right up my alley for a bit. Not gonna commit to 5-3-1 on this run, but I'd like to run it for 2 months and see where it goes. If things don't pan out, I'll probably float on back to Westside. I've learned so much from everything now that it's hard to choose. I just keep doing my thing and I like that. I'd still like to do a competition in November if everything feels good. Possibly do the NASA Push/Pull.

For now, It's gonna be 5-3-1 Military Press BBB on Sunday. Wish me luck (I still love Westside...just cheating on it for a little while).

Keith
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Nooooooooo! Ah, too many things I could talk about we've probably had the same convo in a PM at some point, lol. The thing that comes to mind, is if you want to compete, especially in the near future, why wouldn't you do Westside? 5/3/1, as you know, is incredibly slow progress. You'll be much better prepared for a comp. physically and mentally if you did Westside.

Sorry to hear about what's keeping you busy these days. I can imagine the stress you're going through and how you'd probably rather be doing a million other things with your time. Don't you wish with the snap of a finger everything could be sorted out so you can move on and put that all behind you?

Cmanuel
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Holy GM's batman!!! Sick stuff dude.

They are both good programs for sure, and you can't go wrong with either. You know which one I would rather do though :)

Kiaran
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah, definitely gonna run the 5-3-1 for a couple cycles on the BBB template. Really excited for it actually. I'm not worried about "slow" progress. I pulled my best deadlift last October after running 2 full cycles of 5-3-1. I pulled 495 at 160 lbs bodyweight and I had not worked with anything over 400 lbs up until I pulled that day. So I know 5-3-1 works very well. I think I have just really sabotaged my progress and CNS with the amount of intensity I put into the assistance work on any program I do. I need to get my volume up and intensity down a bit on my assistance. I generally hit assistance work in the 4-6 rep range and go as heavy as I can handle. I think I would be better off hitting in the 10-15 rep range with 50-60%. Worth a try...all I got is time right now :)

In other news, so I just got back from Jason's Deli for an afternoon lunch. I went alone and as I was ringing up I start getting questions from the guys behind the counter. I strike up a conversation with one as he discovers I powerlift. The guy wants to first know what I can bench. I don't tell the guy immediately as I want to see what he's all about. I then tell him my best bench and he's like "oh yeah, that's pretty good. My best is like...umm...355 just last week." I was all "oh wow, that's really good! So do you use a shirt?" He was all "uhh....yeah..." So that seemed cool and then he goes on to tell me a little more. He then says "yeah...my squat is really good though, it's like, uh....I think like uh...950." I was all "950? 9-5-0?! You go past parallel with that? Three white lights?" He says "yeah, um well I don't compete but I plan to. My squat isn't too bad." Then he goes on to tell me his friend can squat "like 1200 lbs." At this point I'm sick of his **** and call him out. I say "wow, so you guys are in highschool and you got the world records beaten for your age and sizes?" This guy was in highschool, maybe 5'8" and 215 lbs. No way he was squatting 950, with or without a suit. I just politely told him "sorry bro, that's a big number and I don't believe it. I'd have to see it to buy it. Sorry." He was all "yeah, no I'm serious! He's a really big guy, my friend is...blah blah blah." What the **** is wrong with people? I am pretty sure this guy leg pressed some stupid ass amount of weight and converted that to some magical squat figure. If you are gonna piss on me, don't ****ing tell me it's raining. ****ing douchebag posers.

Cmanuel
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
If you are gonna piss on me, don't ****ing tell me it's raining. ****ing douchebag posers.

HAHAHAH. I wish I was there, I'm sooooo glad you called them out. I can't stand the curl jockeys and bench jockeys that polute our cities. Its so annoying. So glad you called him out dude, he deserves a 45 lb plate smack to the teeth.

Kiaran
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
HAHAHAH. I wish I was there, I'm sooooo glad you called them out. I can't stand the curl jockeys and bench jockeys that polute our cities. Its so annoying. So glad you called him out dude, he deserves a 45 lb plate smack to the teeth.

Seriously. Next time I'm not even gonna be polite. I'm so tired of this ****. I put a lot of hard work in to get the numbers I do. Stupid bitch ass kid needs to respect that and not boil it down to nothing more than words and think I'm gonna believe it. The more I think about it the more irritated I get. "What's your bench?" Let's go to the gym and find out Dick-Mitten. Now I'm gonna go SFW.

NickAus
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah peeves me of too, Everytime someone asks me my best bench and I tell them I have done such and such but while wearing a bench shirt they always have a friend who does the same raw lol.
The raw record here is like 120lb less lol.

StLRPh
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
good luck with 5/3/1; gotta some the leg press to squat conversion formula :clown:

Kiaran
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 - MP 5-5-5

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Military Press
45 x 10 (w)
70 x 5 (w)
90 x 5 (65%)
105 x 5 (75%)
115 x 12 (85%)

Military Press (BBB)
70 x 10 (50%)
70 x 10 (50%)
70 x 10 (50%)
70 x 10 (50%)
70 x 10 (50%)

Ring Chins
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

First day with the Boring But Big template on 5-3-1. Went pretty well. I purposely left about 2-3 reps in the tank on the top set of my Milies. I was satisfied with 12 and set her down. Felt good and fast. 70 lbs felt stupid light on the 5 sets of 10. But I plan to cycle these sets over 3 weeks. 50% this week, 55% next week and 60% on week 3. So it was supposed to be easy. My shoulders and arms felt jacked after though, lol. Stupid pumps. I kept the rest down to about 30-60 seconds between all my assistance lift sets which made a difference on my chins. I was sorta wondering why my chins don't seem to be improving that much over the last 5 weeks. I am still barely finishing sets 4 and 5 of 10 reps. Then I realized I have gained 12 lbs...so in a way, they have improved. Overall, this was a good session. Not boring at all to me. I feel good.

Squats tomorrow. Get the puke-bucket ready for the 5x10 BBB sets.

b-0XI1pVFF0

Ring Chins
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/RingChins-09122010.jpg

StLRPh
09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Congrats on the weight gain, pressing is looking very strong as well

Coke
09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Damn dude, new avatar is totally beast!!

Brian C
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I think BBB will be really good for you bro. Ive been hitting higher rep stuff lately too and I feel it helping alot. I eventually plan on hitting 531 for a few cycles myself once I start to stall a bit.

mchicia1
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
BBB is a really good, simple template. I love it. I have seen really nice mass gains with it. Try upping the percentages by 5% each week and see how that goes for you. I love cranking out 60 to 65% of my max for 50 reps on the last week before a deload.

Cards
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
O.K so some how over the course of 2 months I've missed this journal?? Welcome back bro...I did read over the whole journal, we're all here for you, but I'm sure you already knew that ;)

That being said, I still hate you..you're just getting back into the swing of things and still are deadlifting more than me..one of these days! Anyways, the training looks awesome and the pictures and videos are sick as usual .

Keep it up bro, use the recent events in your life to push you further than you've been, I'm routing for ya! I'll be stopping around here now that I know YOU HAVE THIS JOURNAL.

borracho
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Looks like I missed a lot on my leave of absence! GL on the new 531 adventure. I am hearing you on the accessory efforts...I sometimes wonder if I am overdoing it on those movements and thats where my injuries are coming from. Its been a solid 2.5 weeks since I last did any pressing and my shoulder is finally starting to feel better again...and I thnk it was due to all the extra accessory stuff I'd throw in after pressing sets. Anyway, lookin good dude!

nickp8
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice military presses. That's a great story about the deli, ya gotta love those people. They used to piss me off, now it makes me smile because they will never have the satisfaction of knowing how it feels to work your ass off and achieve something.

john o
09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
You've been busy. Well put regarding the assistance exercises and wanting to do a little extra each workout. I've done that to myself as well. Deli boy sounds like a treat. The guys that want to arm wrestle are always fun as well. Looking good man!

Kiaran
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Matt: Thanks bro! Goal is to reach 166 BW and hover.

Terry: Thanks a lot bro! Just made the avi last night; I like how it came out too.

Brian: Thanks for the input bro. Yeah, I think you're right about that. I'm looking forward to progress!

Mchicia: That's awesome to hear, bro! I will definitely try upping percentages as I go like you said. Thanks for the thoughts.

Cards: Lol, what's up bro! Thanks for the words man, means a lot to me. This place is always ****ing bad ass. I'm gonna definitely just keep moving forward with everything. Only way to go for me now!

John: Glad you're back around, bro! Thanks for the props too. I hear ya on the injuries and all that. The more I peek into the training of the best around here, the more I realize the assistance isn't done at maximum intensity and is higher reps. Gonna give it a go.

Nickp8: Thanks bro! Yeah, I hear ya. People are just dumb sometimes.

John O: Lol, thanks bro! Yeah, I think assistance work can be a total killer if you turn every lift into a competition. Got to learn when to let off the gas pedal.

Kiaran
09-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Monday, September 13th, 2010 - SQ 5-5-5

TKEs
AverageBand x 20
AverageBand x 20

Squats
45 x 3 (w)
135 x 5 (w)
185 x 5 (65%)
205 x 5 (75%)
230 x 5 (85%)

Squats (BBB)
135 x 10 (50%)
135 x 10 (50%)
135 x 10 (50%)

Band Pullthroughs
MonsterMini x 10
MonsterMini x 10
MonsterMini x 10

Squats. My optimal leverage on Squats is done with a high bar and ass to the ground with a narrow stance. Unfortunately, this showed me all my weaknesses with the lift and humbled my own ass. Checked my ego at the garage door and did it anyway. I have not dropped my dumb ass below parallel in about 9 months. And boy did I pay tonight. I definitely dig the high bar and feel very comfortable up there and my elbows appreciate it too. My core felt much more stable because I could stay at a more upright angle too. I know this is a sacrifice to strength in the lift but honestly, it is a gain on my leverage by keeping me more upright, so the trade off is worth it. The weakness is definitely in my leg strength and now I can clearly feel and see it. I left a couple reps in the tank with 230 because I really didn't feel like puking everywhere and I knew I had the BBB sets to come. I made it through only three sets of the BBB and was thoroughly ruined. Weaksauce? Maybe. But I'll take my punishment now because I know in 6 months I'll be ****in this lift up in a good way, just the way I want it. Form needs a little work but not too bad really. Sometimes you have to take steps back to make strides forward. Jumping in now.

The thought of lunges after all that was laughable. So now I need to get a GHR back in here. That is key to my deadlift and to substitute tonight, I just did some pullthroughs. My legs are still stomped and it has been 3 hours. They usually don't feel this way...so now I am very optimistic about great gains.

Also, I'll be stopping by journals tomorrow night. I'm on four hours sleep right now. Goin to bed. You guys all rock for your support. Thank you.

_8-fdLA75bU

Squats w/ 135 (left) and Band Pullthroughs w/ MonsterMini (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Squats-135-09132010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Pullthroughs-MonsterMini-09132010.jpg

brihead301
09-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Holy ATG skwattage!!!!

I'm glad to see that you are full squatting again. I remember before you left, you were talking about that new squat form, that wasn't below parallel. I was kind of upset about that. Glad to see that you're not doing that though! Man, I really love the 5/3/1 routine. I've been running it for about 14 months now non-stop, and it's treated me very nicely! I'd like to see everyone do the same, so I can see how well it works for everyone else (basically I'm hinting that I'd like to see you stick with this for a good 2+ years).

Cmanuel
09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Nice squats man! Glad to see your going below parallel now (and waaaaaaaaaaay below parallel too)

I want to see pictures of those tats man, curious to see what new ink you have these days

Coke
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Excellent Keph, textbook shot for the squats right there, went way below parallel.

nickp8
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Nice work with the squats. Good choice on the 5/3/1 and using BBB.

StLRPh
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
christ those are deep!

Brian C
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
christ those are deep!

x2 bro, great effort!

Keith
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Great overhead pressing, bud! You made those look light and fast! Yeah, you definitely are improving on the chins if you're gaining weight. BBB is terribly boring, lol. I like my assistance work to be interesting and fun, that way I put more intensity into it. But, like you said you don't want to take the assistant work to or near failure.

Keith
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Deepest...squats...ever! If there was someone doing a true olympic squat on this board, it's you. Odd that you went from doing high(ish) box squats to olympic squats. Why the change of heart? I completely agree with you and in terms of overall growth, olympic squats are the way to go. I'm sure you'll be VERY sore in a couple of days. Unfortunately, my ego does get in the way and the numbers I'd use would be embarrassing, lol. I want to have fun these days and use a lot of weight any way that I can. Great work though, bud. I admire your work ethic and thought that goes into training. Awesome new avatar, BTW! It's badass and suits "you" well.

Kiaran
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Why the change of heart? I completely agree with you and in terms of overall growth, olympic squats are the way to go.

So I've spent the last 4 years learning "correct form" in all my lifts. I've learned all the "do's" and "don'ts" that are out there and played around with many different forms on my Squat, Bench and Deadlift. I am in no way an expert on the subject but I have learned a few valuable things. It really all starts with my Deadlift. I can pull but I can't squat for ****. Why? When it comes to deadlifts, two years ago I tried applying some of the "advised" technical methods to improve one's deadlift. The result was less than desirable. I actually got weaker and things sucked and hurt. At that point, I decided **** what everyone says, I'm gonna deadlift how I deadlift because it feels natural and I am getting the weight from point A to point B. What I did not realize is that I was already setting myself up in a manner that was suited just for me to pull. It came naturally to me so to speak. I made a few minor modifications to the lift and my Deadlift was just the way I wanted it. I'm happy with it and I know exactly why it works for me and nothing anyone says will derail MY form. Why am I saying all this? Because of Squats. I've played around with about 6 different forms. All different depths, different bar heights, different foot positions, knees forward, vertical butt way back, blah blah blah blah. There is about 400 things that can go wrong with a squat. So complicated just to move some stupid weight up and down while it's on your shoulders right? I would always try to do everything right with the lift. But for some damn reason it just never felt right when my hips got down to parallel. Everything fell apart. The leverage felt WAY off. Open hips helped, but I don't use gear...and found myself with chronic hip flexor and groin pulls. Now what? I started reading articles and really studying how we are built to squat down. If I asked you to squat down and talk with me for awhile, no sitting allowed, I doubt you would do it in a powerlifting stance. You'd work yourself down into a squat with your feet about shoulder width, toes naturally out, and probably be quite comfortable...for a little bit. Now if I asked you to stand up, you might adjust your feet a bit and then quite easily come up. That's just how we work. It's how we were designed. It's functional. Is it for everyone? Hell no. Some people simply cannot get into that position without falling over. Others' knees would pop off or their back would blow out. This is why I am a huge proponent of "one form does not fit all." And you have to find your own leverages. The biggest red flag that your form and your leverage probably sucks, IMO, is that you are not getting stronger at what you are trying to do. When I dropped the bar low, I was taking advantage of my very strong lower back. This is fantastic! Except I'm training raw, and my hips get trashed going sub parallel. Not to mention my lower back takes a beating, my core has to stabilize more and my elbows get pissed buy carrying the bar lower. I don't want to use gear. And I'm tired of doing 1/2 squats to a box. So I changed the leverages. Traded out back strength for leg strength, unquestionable competition depth (nobody is gonna argue with where my depth is at in those photos), improved leverage and overall a far superior functional lift for my body shape. I know it because my legs felt smoked. No pain anywhere. And I felt like I could exert the lift with my muscles rather than getting beaten by compromised lever arms. This is identical to what I found in my deadlift. Now my weakness comes out of it's ugly little closet: leg strength. I have known this for a long time and always tried to keep it under the rug. Time to fix it and grow. So that's the conclusion on why I am switching over I guess :) Definitely not for everyone...but if one is having difficulty with a lift, I think it's a good idea to branch out and find the flavor that feels best, the one you would use to save your own life if the weight was going to kill you...not necessarily the one you are "strongest" with right now. Hope that makes sense. Here's a pretty good article too: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/olympic_vs_powerlifting_squats

Keith
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
You should be an author. I highly enjoy anything you write.

Liftersize
09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
nice squatting atg squats are badass!

NickAus
09-15-2010, 03:54 AM
ATG squats bro!!

borracho
09-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Very good write up, as always K! I am glad to hear you're switching things up...I bet it will motivate a lot of people to evaluate what they're doing and do a little self-analysis to find ways of improving their game..I know its motivating me!

brihead301
09-15-2010, 07:46 AM
I may actually give this style squat a go for a little while. They are bada**!!! Ass to calves just looks cool as hell, and it just seems that it would have a killer effect on overall leg growth as well.

mchicia1
09-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Can I ask how you got so flexible that allows you to go ATG with a perfectly straight back? Flexibility is something I have always been lacking. Is stretching a normal part of your routine?

MPB
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey. I've been following your journal for years now and this actually is my first comment. Life can throw some curve balls at you, and I've been in many situation that people would never want to be in. Not many people can motivate themselves and stand back up on their own, so just know that you're definitely on the right track. Sometimes you just have to go through unpleasant phases, but I hope you come out of this as a much stronger person. You have my support.

As for high bar squats, I definitely feel you on that one. I strained my back pretty badly some time ago while I was on a deadlift program, and I couldn't really do any type of pulling for about a year. I've always thought that my body was built for sumo because of my short arms/legs, and extremely long torso. But it was just putting too much strain on my hips and lower back. It made me feel strong pulling sumo but I also felt like crap all the time. So during that time when I got hurt, I've experimented with many different styles and came up with a solution that conventional style would suit me the best. This made a lot of sense to me seeing how I always back squat/front squat deep below parallel, so why not deadlift with a narrow stance? With sumo deadlift, most of the load is put on the lower back and hips. But with conventional, I can put most of the load on my quads and pull it off the ground much faster. With that being said, I dropped my ego by working myself up with conventional and now I'm pulling just as much. Interestingly, my pull is a lot lower with a belt on but I just put it on anyway because my back feels so much better with it. I just feel like getting stronger isn't really worth it to me if I can't stay healthy all the time.

I know this is a long read but I hope this helps you a little.
Good luck with your training man.

-JM-
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Cant argue wth your decision K. You have a great mind. Ever tried oly shoes for squatting in that style? You are certainly getting some great rebound out of the hole.

One thing (and it may just be the angle) but it looks like you are favouring one side on the way up. Your butt swings to the left slightly on each ascent. Not entirely sure though. It might honestly just be the angle. Just saying because you mentioned injuries with your hip and groin. It could all be a result of an imbalance/weakness/ tightness on one side over the other. This may have been happening no matter what stance you were using. To varying degrees of course. I am no expert. Just something I noticed and I know you would want me to say!

john o
09-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Sick squats Kirian!

Brian C
09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Your right bro, what works best for you is always the right decision. Best of luck with your decision and I look forward to watching you progress. Great squats there too bro!

Kiaran
09-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Bri: Lol, ATG FTMW! Thanks for the props bro. I'm glad to be squatting properly again too. Yeah, the squat is my nemesis. I will put 405 up before I die. I can definitely see that 5-3-1 works well for you. I'd like to see me stick with it for a couple years too. I will try my best, bro. Definitely give the ATG squats a shot if you like. Might take a little getting used to. They are my natural form so I don't mind it and feel comfortable there. Definitely lights your legs up!

Chip: Lol, yeah those should get me three whites if I compete with that form. Thanks for the words, bro. I'll get some photos up in here after I get my next tat. It'll be sometime before the end of the year.

Terry: Thanks a lot, bro! The squatage felt great and it's always nice to hear everyone have no contest on the depth of your squat, you know? ATG always clinches the depth question, lol!

Nickp8 Thanks bro! Yeah, I think BBB will definitely help things along.

Matt: That would be ATG Squats. Doesn't get any lower. They feel good though. Thanks for the comment, bro!

Brian: lol, thanks a lot bro! Definitely looking for the leverages that work best for me. Always adjusting things until I find the form that works. Deadlifts haven't changed in awhile...which is awesome!

Keith: Appreciate the words bro. I just write stuff the same way I would say it to someone if I were talking to them in person. Saw you were sick in your journal. Hope you feel better soon and I'll be stoppin by for some journalage later. Use the sinus rinse bottle with double salt packets. Swear to ****ing god that **** is magic for colds and infections.

Liftersize: Thanks bro!

John: Thanks a lot, bro. I'm glad I'm doing real squats again too. Cool I motivated you a bit there. I always think about crap like that. Leverage is the name of the game when you wanna move more weight. Just got to experiment and take some steps back sometimes.

Mchicia: You're gonna hate me, bro. That is my natural form and I didn't have to do anything to get that flexible. Like I said in my writup...it's not for everybody and I can naturally squat to that position with a straight back. Everyone gets a little hip-tuck (butt-wink) at a full squat, so no, my back is not perfectly straight. But it doesn't bother me. I could defintely use a little more work on my form. It's always a work in progress. Checkout my writeup a couple posts back; there is a link at the bottom of the post that will take you to a good article on getting more flexible for the full squat. Thanks for the words, bro.

MPB: Hey bro, thanks a lot for stopping by and taking the time to write! Very cool you've been watchin my moves. You look like a strong dude. I should take some notes. I apprecaite the support and kind thoughts, bro. Very cool you agree with the High Bar Squat. Definitely not for everyone but yeah, I have terrible knees and with the full squats...they don't hurt even a little. It is stopping mid path or using wide stance that kills my knees actually. I have always pulled conventional. It is my strongest lift and I never have trouble with leverage on the lift. Just strength holds me back. Thanks again, bro!

Flynn: Thanks a lot, bro. I haven't ever tried oly shoes. I may look into them. I hear squatting olympic style is easier with shoes that have a little bit of a heel to them. Makes sense. Yeah, you finally noticed my twist did ya? Lol, I appreciate it bro and I'm happy to have good friends call me on my form. My right leg is weaker than my left and it favors very often. Something I need to be more mindful of and work out that wrinkle. Thanks for the support and advice broseph! And don't sell yourself short, you know your **** so don't be afraid to give advice.

John O: Thanks bro!

Kiaran
09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 - BP 5-5-5

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Bench Press
45 x 6 (w)
45 x 6 (w)
45 x 6 (w)
135 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 10

Bench Press (BBB)
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10

Skulls
40 x 15 (w)
60 x 10
60 x 10
60 x 10
60 x 10

T-Bars
+90 x 10 (w)
+135 x 10
+155 x 10
+160 x 10

Watched all the "So You Think You Can Bench" videos by Dave Tate. Learned a lot. I don't like the way they setup at Westside though. So I modify the setup to how I feel comfortable and can get up on my traps and feel good. I can't get my feet where I want them though because they slip on my flooring when I go to drive. Not sure what to do about this. I might try laying some carpet down to grab my feet. I noticed they had carpet on the floor in the videos. Makes sense really. The key thing I fixed on this session was flaring my elbows. Dave talked about finding the elbow position that works for you. I have been tucking my elbows in for so long that I didn't know that I was really putting the bar behind my elbows and overloading my tries. I opened them up a little and started flaring them more on this session and holy ****...it was like a new lift. Took vids to get my wrist and elbow in line and it looks pretty good now. I noted a lot of raw lifters touch a little higher and flare more. This made me have to widen my grip to where I like it better too. I may go one more finger out. Anyway, I finally felt like my muscles got tired on the 185 instead of the leverage breaking down on me. It's a weird feeling when leverage gets you versus just running out of muscle contraction energy. Can't explain it. But I know it when I feel it. This form feels good finally. Still needs some tweaking.

Ordered some new wrist wraps earlier this week. Mine are ripped and falling apart from pulling them too tight. Haven't even used them much...pieces of ****.

tjZdwdNtOs8

Bench Press (BBB) w/ 115 (easy-peasy)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Benchpress-115-09162010.jpg

Skulls w/ 60 (left) and TBars w/ +160 (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Skulls-60-09162010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/TBars-160-09162010.jpg

Kiaran
09-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Friday, September 17th, 2010 - DL 5-5-5

Deadlift
45 x 5 (w)
45 x 5 (w)
135 x 5 (w)
225 x 5 (w)
275 x 5
315 x 5
355 x 10

Deadlift (BBB)
210 x 10
210 x 10
210 x 10 (god...no more)

Curls
20 x 15 (w)
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10

Deadlifts always destroy me. I thought I was gonna throw up after the top set. 210 felt stupid light after that for the BBB sets but even still, my lower back and quads were so fried after the third set. All sets were full reset which I feel is both safer and better training. Not gonna elaborate on this right now. No way I could pickup 5 sets of BBB Deadlifts. I am happy with 3. Going to stick to my rule and will only deadlift heavy on the 5-5-5 and 5-3-1 weeks. So no deadlifting heavy next week. Curls were fun. Haven't touched those in forever.

In other news, I am legally divorced tonight at midnight. It's bittersweet. Was a really tough week for me both physically and emotionally. Just gotta close the deal on my house now and I'm done with it all. People talk about their last day as a bachelor...what about your last night as a married man? Woman broke my heart. Time to pick up the pieces and move on now. I am proud to say I was faithful to her this entire time...even during the last 6 months we have been apart. And I had several opportunities not to be. Proud of myself for that. Gonna rest up and start my 3-3-3 week on Sunday.

HaEMmnZ-MMc

Deadlift (BBB) w/ 210 (left) and Curls w/ 80 (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Deadlift-210-09172010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Curls-80-09172010.jpg

john o
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Constantly looking for form improvements is a good way to go about this stuff. Bravo on the the deads Kirian. Heavy sets of 10 are grueling. There is honor in keeping your vow and you should be proud. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You are doing very well with trying circumstances.

StLRPh
09-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Huge deadlifting Kiaran. Sounds like things have gotten a little simpler, not necessarily better or worse, but more straightforward. It's really impressive to me that you're working so hard to wrap your head around everything and to learn something for this experience.

Keep strong

Liftersize
09-18-2010, 11:51 AM
355x10 is impressive nice work

Brian C
09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
2 very nice sessions bro. Glad you found your form on the bench. And best of luck wife free.

Coke
09-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Super updates Keph...good deal on getting benching tips via Dave Tate's videos.

-JM-
09-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Great sessions K. DLs are your lift man. No doubt about it. That last rep on the 335 was damn near the same as the first.

If there is anything you can take from this, it is that you are a man of integrity and honour. You have been truly tested. Wish you good times ahead mate.

Cmanuel
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I am thinking of dropping the sets of DLs and SQs to 5x5 for assistance, and just up the weight to maybe 65-70%. What do you think man?

With that weight, you might burn yourself out pretty quick after a couple of cycles. I actually dont do BBB for DLs...it's just too taxing and my DL has always progressed just nicely without all the volume.

I actually switch up things a little bit on my BBB sets. For example, I do front squats for 5x10, close grip bench for 5x10, etc. Wendler said these are all ok and many people have had success doing this. If your squat sets of BBB feel like they are too taxing, maybe drop the weight and do front squats?

Keith
09-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Damn dude, solid benching! 185x10 is just sick at your weight. I bet the 115x10 felt stupid light afterward. I was going to say I noticed your elbows a lot more flared. But yeah, you gotta find what works best for you. I bet it does feel like a whole new lift. Mine are a lot more tucked and touch lower these days and I really enjoy it. Not sure which style is more powerful since I haven't tested it, but I'm sure I will one of these days. I've noticed too raw lifters tuck less and touch higher.

Your deadlifting is ridiculously strong, bro!! Your pulling always impresses me. When you say you won't be going heavy on the 3-3-3 week, what weight would you do then? And why not go heavy during that week? Will you be deloading every cycle? Most guys probably don't think about their last night as a married man. Probably because it's nothing to note or be excited about. Time to start a new chapter in your life and I'm sure from here on out, it will be positive for you because you seem like you deserve it.

Kiaran
09-19-2010, 01:51 PM
John O: Thanks for those words, bro. Heavy sets of 10 are grueling for sure. Worse than running sprints at times.

Matt: Thanks bro. Things are defnitely getting simpler in my life now. Just a few loose ends to tie up and I can close that chapter on my life. Appreciate the support!

Liftersize: Thanks bro!

Brian: Thanks a lot, bro! Yeah, the elbows flared seems to have felt a little more natural. Gonna need some luck without my wife around anymore. Appreciate the words!

Terry: No doubt, thanks bro! Those videos are good ****.

Flynn: Thanks bro! Deadlifts are always where I can open full throttle. The last rep was definitely hard. I was feeling everything start to break up. I felt like I could have gotten 1-2 more reps, at the most. So I would put it at an RPE of 9. I appreciate those encouraging words, bro. Thanks a lot!

Chip: Yeah I sorta ran some numbers out in the garage after asking you about that. 70% for 5x5 looked brutal on paper. I think I'm gonna just stick to three sets 10 with 50,55,60% over three weeks for DLs and Squats. I'll see how it goes. I may take your advice on switching up movements now and then for the BBB. Just gonna run it straight for a bit though. Thanks for the help, bro!

Keith: Thanks a lot bro! The 115x10 did feel pretty easy on bench. I definitely like flaring my elbows more. I actually have sorta long arms and a narrow frame, so for whatever reason, I get better leverage with my elbows flared. When I tuck, I have to touch like almost on my upper abs...which feels really awkward...like I'm doing a front raise or something. For the Deadlifting, yeah I always do my best DLs when I go one week on and one week off, or one heavy, one light. So I like lifting DLs on the 5-5-5 and 5-3-1 week and just skipping them on my 3-3-3 and deload weeks. If you look at what I'm lifting, I just pulled like 2.3 times my BW for 10 reps raw. My CNS fries to **** if I do that week after week...even with a deload week in there. So I will most likely just hit my three sets of 10 for the BBB sets with 230 or something next week. Not sure though, going to see how I feel. I might just pull the 90% for prescribed 3 reps and call it good on the 3-3-3 week (as opposed to pulling 90% for as many reps as possible). Thanks for the support, bro!

Kiaran
09-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Update

So I'm ****ing pumped! Elite FTS FINALLY had their equipment sale. I've been waiting for this **** since I lost all my equipment in the divorce. I just picked up a Delux GHR for about $100 off. Can't ****ing wait! That is the single best Deadlift builder I have ever used. Hell yes! So in about 6 weeks it should be here. Gonna be a good winter for training. Now I need to figure out where the **** I'm gonna put in my little garage, lol! Got a red frame and black pad this time. Really excited!

Keith
09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Yay for GHR!!! I always get excited when I'm adding a new piece to my gym, whatever it may be. I saw that sale posted, I was tempted to get something for the hell of it, but no money. Maybe in another 12 months down the road...

Kiaran
09-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Yay for GHR!!! I always get excited when I'm adding a new piece to my gym, whatever it may be. I saw that sale posted, I was tempted to get something for the hell of it, but no money. Maybe in another 12 months down the road...

I hear that, bro. I'm gonna have to do a little rearranging of my gym though to make room. Got the perfect plan. It will probably take me an entire weekend to move everything around though. Suck.

Kiaran
09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Monday, September 20th, 2010 - MP 3-3-3

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Military Press
45 x 10 (w)
75 x 3 (w)
105 x 3
120 x 3
135 x 8

Military Press (BBB)
85 x 10
85 x 10
85 x 10
85 x 10
85 x 10

Ring Chins
BW x 10
+25 x 10
+45 x 8
+75 x 4
BW x 10
BW x 8

So far the volume seems to be paying off. 135 hasn't felt this good in six months. My best ever with 135 is 10 reps. I think I will be knocking on the door of that very soon. I jumped the weight up a little this week. Prescribed reps was supposed to be 125x3. Last week's reps were pretty stupid easy so I went ahead and increased a little this week. Looks like it was a good call too cause I dusted the prescribed reps even still. Happy about this one. Pullups are gettin better each week as well. Still not where I want them but getting there. Hopefully in another 8 weeks they will be right back where I was.

Did a lot of reading on squats this last week. Read some really old posts of mine from my old journal and some newer posts. Also watched a bunch of vids around the way and reread some old Rippetoe articles. I needed to refresh my memory and mind of what I'm trying to do with that lift. Gonna put the ATGs on the back burner for right now. My knees are still hurtin from last week's session anyway. I can see what people are talkin about with the torque ATGs put on them. No doubt they look awesome though. I have a plan with the PL style squat that I never had the chance to finish proving back earlier this year. I bet it works so I'm gonna give it a run and take that plan through to completion before embarking further with the ATGs. I need to finish what I started there back in February, or I will always wonder.

Diet has been utter ****ing trash lately. Just have not been motivated to cook anything. Eating out like every day and night. Not enough fresh vegetables and fruits either. I could do with cleaning that up a lot. Could do with more water too. So I'd like to start focusing on that more. Also need to try and get a little more sleep. Depression has been whippin my ass these last two weeks and it makes it hard for me to focus on goals and give a ****. I also hate cooking for just myself. Got to stop being lazy and suck it up though. Feel pretty good weight wise. Sitting at about 152-153. That's roughly 11-12 lbs up from when I started back. Got about 15 more lbs to gain and then I want to just maintain weight there. Got to step it up diet wise or I'm gonna get sloppy.

I3kVWqjAt5Y

Ring Chins w/ +75
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/RingPullups-w75-09202010.jpg

jed
09-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Jesus f***ing H Christ i've missed a lot of fine workouts. Really glad to see BBB is workout out for you dude. I never had the patience to try it, it seemed like it would literally be so goddamned boring. It seems to me though, that it would be just too many reps? If he explains it more in his book i'll have to go back to that section and read it. I pulled the e-book out myself again today to read over it the next few days. Great news about the incoming GHR dudely, glad to see you found one for cheap! Deads will be shooting up even more than usual now i'm sure. Really sucks that you're still feeling a bit emotionally off, but you'll be good dude; you got all of us here for ya that's for sure! You got any pets? Man, I love pets. I'd take my cat over any woman any day. I love the decision to start working with OLY squats man, those things are awesome, especially when you know how to do 'em with proper form. Your leg strength will skyrocket doing those and your usual brutal lunges. Also very nice to see an 11-12 lb gain since you started!! Great stuff in here dude and as always, very motivating to me. Keep it up my brother.

StLRPh
09-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Huge Pressing Kiaran and awesome early X-mas present

brihead301
09-22-2010, 06:43 AM
I missed a bunch of sessions too. I've been having trouble keeping up with everyone's journals lately because of work being busy as s***. Anyway, I wanted to point out that I definately love the way you do your own thing regarding form. That's good though, you gotta find what works for you....I'm still trying to find my groove with benching. I still can't figure out all that leg drive stuff, and how to actually use it. Kick ass lifts throughout.....I guarantee you'll smoke that 405 within the next year or two with the squats....hell, you're almost there already!

Anyway, good to hear your back on your feet from the divorce. Good that you were always faithful, and karma will hook you up in better ways because of that! Keep on liftin brotha!

Cmanuel
09-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Nice solid lifting in here man. Bet you cant wait for that GHR to arrive, ha. That Piece of equpiment is legit!

borracho
09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Dude, your power:weight is effing crazy. Looks like the pulls and OHP are moving along quite nicely..you'll be repping 405 in no time at all and I am sure you'll be working out with your BW on OHP in the next few months, too. Glad to hear the divorce is finalized...there've been a slew of them in my group at work. Two of them went fast and smooth, but the other one dragged on for months and months and months. Cheers to the next chapter in your life man, looks like you're in a good mindset to start fresh now.

Keith
09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
How is your strength back SO quickly? 135x10 is your best and your only 2 reps behind?? That's nuts, dude. I was thinking about your old journal, why did you create a new one and leave that one in the dust? I wish you just changed the title of the journal and kept going through. It's still the same journey, with the same goals and same hardcoreness, right? I like to go back in time and check out old pages of people's journals. All your top lifts and videos are in there.

A goal of 170 is great at your height. I know you'll do well. And for powerlifting comps. I'm sure you'd want to compete in the 165s? Or just whatever you happen to weigh? You could probably run for a state raw deadlift record though in the 165s. Do you know your state's records? Look 'em up and report back to us... it'll also give you some new goals to have if that's your interest. Your chins are awesome, bro. The layout of them is just like mine most of the time. Looking forward to what you decide to do with squats. Take a look in my journal and look at the link of Chad Aichs squat video. He talks and shows exactly how you should squat without any stress on the knee joint. Can you explain what you'll be doing now or just wait until you do it then talk about it? ****ty to hear about your diet, but at least you're still getting in your calories, right? That's all that matters. For health reasons though, it'll be great to get back to fresh fruits & veggies.

Depression has been getting to you? Do you have any close friends you can hang with when you're alone/not doing anything? You probably already know this, but just keep busy and keep your mind occupied and avoid being alone with nothing to do. Keep at it, big guy! We're all here for you.

Coke
09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Keep hanging tough and stay focused, we look forward to seeing you raise up on all levels.

Really proud you are moving onward and upward man.

mchicia1
09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Can't believe you are pressing what I press and I am a good 80 pounds heavier than you. God damn man, you have some serious strength-weight ratio. You should make a push to like 220 pounds one day just to see how strong you can really be.

nickp8
09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I missed a bunch of sessions in here. Great lifting all round, and I'm sure you will be hitting your previous numbers at a lower bodyweight then before. That's great news about the GHR. I really wish I had one where I train. They have one about 45 minutes away from me, but it is a really ****ty old one by some off brand.

john o
09-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Just keep working hard man. No need to overreach. You are already on an incredible pace. Things look just fine lifting wise. I wish the same for you outside of the gym.

Kiaran
09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 - SQ 3-3-3

TKEs
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 20

Leg Swings
Mini x 15
Mini x 15

16" Box Squats
45 x 5 (w)
45 x 5 (w)
135 x 3 (w)
185 x 3 (w)
215 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 12

16" Box Squats (BBB)
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10

SL Situps
BW x 20
BW x 20

Good session. I was short on time and had to hurry through this one. Squats felt pretty strong. Just kept going with 275, grinding out rep after rep. I wanted to get lunges in but didn't have time so I just did a couple sets of stiff leg situps. I managed to tweak something in my hand somewhere along the workout and it was shooting pain through the edge of my wrist, hand and pinky through the last couple sets of squats. I may alter my grip a bit next time. Working my squat at a different angle. The plan is to work up to 405 on the 16" box and then start slowly dropping the box 1" per cycle. Then raise it back up to 16" and progress further hopefully.

That's my neighbor in the video workin out with me. He's a cool guy and about my same size. Comes over sometimes and watched me kill myself. Good times.

I'll post responses to everyone tomorrow and hit up journals. Very tired tonight and going to bed. You guys rock and I appreciate the feedback more than you know.

GUh405nOBTM

StLRPh
09-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Good lord that's a lot of squatting. Sure it will pay off as well.

jed
09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Wow dude. You totally smashed that set. Your strength is insane. Neighbor looks like a cool dude... Is he into lifting seriously or just kinda a one workout per week type of dude? And what ever happened to that huge guy that you used to work out with and used to have post on here?

brihead301
09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
In response to Keith....it's muscle memory dude. Once you hit a certain point in training, you can take a 6 month layoff, and come back to where you left off at in just a month or so. Kiaran is also a genetic freak too though, don't forget....haha!

Man 275 x 12....That's a lot of squattage right there brotha!!!

My medium term goal is 315 x 20.....First I have to get to 315....then I have to get higher then that....then I have to take the plunge and go for a 20 rep set. You up for a race to see who can hit that first?

Keith
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
In response to Keith....it's muscle memory dude. Once you hit a certain point in training, you can take a 6 month layoff, and come back to where you left off at in just a month or so. Kiaran is also a genetic freak too though, don't forget....haha!

LOL, I know the science behind it, I was just saying that to blow smoke up his ass.

My medium term goal is 315 x 20.....First I have to get to 315....then I have to get higher then that....then I have to take the plunge and go for a 20 rep set. You up for a race to see who can hit that first?

I'm down! I'm sure it'll be a while before any of us will get there, but I'd love to squat 3 PPS for 20 reps! That would look badass!

Keith
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I'll try and keep my response short and to-the-point since I always write novels in here. Don't know why, I just feel like there's always a lot to talk about in here, lol. I was going to say, who's the dude in the background wearing gloves, doing abs and not watching you and supporting you through your final set of squats?! Is he a potential training partner? If I had to guess, I'm going to go with no just from what I saw, haha. Hopefully there's someone in your area that'll have the same interest. Or do you prefer to train alone?

Solid squatting, though, bro! 275x12 is awesome! You definitely grinded through that set. Just an observation that I noticed but it looks like you could sit back even more. The reason I'm saying this is because your knees slightly travels forward during most reps. It's not much, but you could minimize the stress on the knee joint and increase your squat number by sitting back more I think. That's a great angle, though. I want to record my squat from that same angle and see how much I'm sitting back. I could be doing the same thing, actually, without even knowing it, lol. Sounds like a great plan for your squat and I look forward to seeing all the craziness up to that goal.

-JM-
09-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Rock solid set of squats K! Call me Ishmael, but you look A LOT more comfortable and steady using that form. Low bar, widers stance etc.

Thats a great approach, lowering the box per cycle. No different than working down boards over several weeks on the bench. Should work well for you.

john o
09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I like the squat plan Kirian. Good session!

Brian C
09-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I agree with Flynny, you look pretty dam solid with that form. AWESOME set there bro. You killed that. Great job. Tell your neighbor to stop trying to steal your thunder by doing leg raises behind you LOL. jk

Coke
09-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Big day with the box squats. that is some serious training going on right there.

Kiaran
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Jed: Yeah I'm enjying the BBB so far actually. I don't find it boring at all. I sorta like the volume sets at the end of the standard sets. The weight always feels really light and I can work on my form, speed and I get a ton of blood running through me which feels great. That is definitely a good book, and always worth reading again. Lol, the GHR was definitely not cheap. It was $100 off the original price. Cost me about a grand even still. Elite FTS doesn't mess around. Appreciat the words, bro. Nah, no pets for me. I wanna get a kitten next year. I love cats and grew up with them. The weight gain seems to be steady, so I'm just gonna keep on doing my thing bro! Lol about my neighber. He's a cool guy. I will eventually turn him into a powerlifter. My next mission will be to get him to not use gloves. He comes over about once a week to train. He likes to do his own thing and I really don't care what he does. My old buddy that used to post here doesn't workout anymore. Maybe some day he'll get back into it. Dude is huge!

Matt: Thanks bro! Hell yeah, the GHR is definitely an early X-Mas gift to myself, lol! Yeah the squatting was brutal. My knees were a little sore the other day.

Bri: I hear ya on keeping up with journals, bro. I haven't posted in all your journals in awhile. I need to catch up this weekend. Thanks for the words, man. Means a lot to me. Leg drive on the bench is sorta a conscious thing. Find the position with your feet that you can basically push yourself back off the bench. Then you arch up and instead of going back, you go down. Lol at me being a genetic freak. I wish I was, bro. Thanks for those words though! Sure, I'll race ya to 315 for 20 reps. But it's not really fair cause I'm usin a box and going high on depth. But I'll race ya anyway using my silly form. I got 315x10 earlier this year so I hope to get back there soon.

Chip: Thanks bro! Hell yeah, the GHR rules and I cannot wait!

John: Lol, thanks a lot, bro! I am definitely getting on my feet and moving forward now. Divorce is a terrible thing.

Keith: Thanks bro, lol! My old journal eh? I closed it along with that entire chapter of my life. That journal had photos of my old setup, old house, and I talked very lovingly about my ex wife in there. I felt it was time for a fresh start, so this journal was born. I may link to my old journal on my tag sometime. I plan to make new top lifts and new videos and leave the old me in the dust along with that journal :) I definitely wanna try and stay in the 165s for competitions. Not sure what the state record is. I saw the national raw deadlift record for USAPL 165s was 530. I think I stand a chance. I was definitely checking out that Chad Aichs squat vid in your journal. I liked it! Depression has had me down the last few weeks. I am doing a little better this week though. After my house closes I will really start moving forward. Divorce sucks, bro! Thanks for all the awesome words and support. The dude in the vid is my neighbor. He comes over to train sometimes. Definitely not a regular. I love training with a partner if they are as motivated and consistant as I am. I really don't mind training with anyone. I hear ya on my squats. Appreciate the advice, I will try and get back a little more next time.

Terry: Thanks a lot bro. I am just moving forward and not looking back.

Mchicia: Thanks bro! I appreciate those words. Lol, I would look like a cupcake at 220. I have a pretty thin frame, I might go for 180s if I feel good at 165. One thing at a time though right?

Nickp8: Thanks bro! Hell yeah, the GHR is the greatest thing I ever used next to a power rack. Worth every penny.

John O: Thanks a lot bro! Yeah things are moving quickly lately. Your support has been awesome. Really appreciate it!

Flynn: Thanks bro! Yeah I am definitely more comfortable using that form. Never thought about it like working down in boards with my box squat plan. But yeah, you are right! I think it will work out very well in the end.

Brian: Thanks a lot bro! Yeah definitely more comfy with that form. LOL at my neighbor. Poor guy. I knew he was gonna get flamed for wearin his gloves and doing his abs in the background. Oh well.

Cmanuel
09-25-2010, 04:51 PM
USAPL CO State Championships - Dec 4th, Aurora CO

Are you in??

jed
09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Keith: Thanks bro, lol! My old journal eh? I closed it along with that entire chapter of my life. That journal had photos of my old setup, old house, and I talked very lovingly about my ex wife in there. I felt it was time for a fresh start, so this journal was born. I may link to my old journal on my tag sometime. I plan to make new top lifts and new videos and leave the old me in the dust along with that journal :)

I like the way you think. Linking that journal however could be a help, there was tons and tons of good videos, posts, write-ups, links, etc.

Also, I lol'd at your reply to me. I accidentally read the cat part as "I wanna get a kitten next year. I love cats and grew up with them. I will eventually turn him into a powerlifter." Hahahaha.

Kiaran
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Friday, September 24th, 2010 - BP 3-3-3

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Bench Press
45x10(w)
135x3(w)
135x3(w)
155x3
175x3
195x10

Bench Press (BBB)
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x11

Skulls
20x10(w)
40x10(w)
70x10
70x10
70x10

T-Bars
+90 x 10 (w)
+135 x10
+180 x10
+180 x10
+180 x10

Had an incredible workout here. Bench just keep getting stronger with my new form. Flared elbows FTMFW for me. Seriously, it feels excellent! Still need to get my feet in better position to drive more. ****ing slippery rubber flooring. I also moved my grip out to ring finger on ring. This felt perfect. Skulls were killer and TBars are getting MUCH better now.

In other news, I had an outstanding weekend. Met up with this really cool gal I met about three months ago. Had a great time together the other night. Feelin good ;)

llTJPwgkea4

Bench Press (BBB) w/ 135
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BenchPress-135-09242010.jpg

Skulls w/ 70 (left) and TBars w/ +180 (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Skulls-70-09242010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/TBars-w180-09242010.jpg

StLRPh
09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
coming along very quickly, you'll be back in the 250's in no time

-JM-
09-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Glad you had a good weekend with your lady friend K!

Solid benching. Chuck some chalk on the floor and your feet wont slip. Soooo, youre gonna be right back where you left off by when............ next week? Ha ha. Awesome work.

Coke
09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Looking beasty in the benching vid, nice pics as well, dig those tats.

john o
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Strong pressing Kirian! Good to see the positivity bro.

nickp8
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Nice benching Kiaran. You will be blowing past those old numbers in no time at all.

Brian C
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Great day Bro! Bench is looking very strong

borracho
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I can't get my feet where I want them though because they slip on my flooring when I go to drive. Not sure what to do about this. I might try laying some carpet down to grab my

If the carpet doesnt work for maintaining your feet position you could try laying out some of that rubber matting they put in desks drawers and tool boxes/chests to keep stuff from sliding around when you open/close drawers. Someone from johno's journal suggested that for the bench to keep from sliding on your back which I was having issues with so I tried that and it helped quite a bit...could be worth a shot if you have a roll of that stuff laying around at home/work.

Workouts are all looking awesome man..cant wait to see where you're at in a few months and I am sure you have a shot at that 530 pull.

Liftersize
09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
glad things are looking up, nice benching!

Kiaran
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Matt: Thank bro. I hope I'll be back into the 250s sometime down the road! Would be awesome.

Flynn: Thanks bro! I'll try the chalk thing next time I bench. Lol, I hope to be PASSING where I left off next week :D

Terry: Thanks bro. I got about 10 more tats lined up, lol!

John O: Appreciate that, bro. Yeah I'm feeling good this week!

Nickp8: Thanks a lot bro! I hope you're right.

Brian: Thanks bro, it's definitely feeling pretty solid. I usually don't feel stronger ever week on bench. So the form is definitely on target right now.

John: That's not a bad idea man, thanks! I was looking through the records on USAPL's website. Looks like the national deadlift record for 165s is 605 lbs. But I don't think it was a raw lift. Looks like the raw record is 530...so I am a little confused. My ultimate goal is a quad-BW pull. If I ever do that, I'll just climb into my casket right there and die a happy man, lol!

Liftersize: Thanks bro! Definitely feelin good.

Kiaran
09-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Monday, September 27th, 2010 - MP 5-3-1

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Military Press
45 x 10 (w)
75 x 3 (w)
95 x 3 (w)
110 x 5
125 x 3
140 x 8 (PR +1r)

Military Press (BBB)
95 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 11

Pullups
BW x 10
BW x 10
+45 x 9
+10 x 10
BW x 12

BBB template rules. That's all there is to it. I am not bored at all and I am getting bigger and stronger every workout. I have never put up 95 lbs for 5 straight sets of 10 reps like it was nothing. So the volume is doing something for sure. I am feeling like I have a lot more speed and energy output on the top sets of the main lifts. Like I am not failing lifts because I am tired, or getting beat by leverage, but rather just strength holding me back. This is excellent and what I've been searching for!

Last weekend really turned my head around and was just what I needed. Feel like a million bucks this week. I wanna kick the doors off my Squats tomorrow and smash some mother****in weight. We shall see.

LUP15_nepCo

Military Press (BBB) w/ 95 (left) and Pullups w/ +45 (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/MilitaryPress-95-09272010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Pullups-w45-09272010.jpg

john o
09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Looks like you found the key to the lock big man. Excellent training!

jed
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
What do the tatt's on your serratus and triceps say? Great to hear you figured out a way to bench that feels awesome and strong. Stick with it! 195x10 is damn solid at your BW dude... Was 10 your ME or do you think you had 2 or 3 left in you? I couldn't tell from the vid. And gosh damn dude those are some strong mili's. I'm really glad to hear that BBB is working awesomely for you. Super excited to see what it'll do to your strength and physique both. What is your rest period in between the 'back-off' sets or whatever? The 5 sets of 10 of the core movement. Awesome to hear about the lady, dude. Seriously. It's a big relief to hear that you're feeling like a million bucks and all that jazz. You deserve to feel that way, bro. Rock on.

Mark!
09-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Hey man, I don't know why I haven't stopped in here before now, but at least I'm here now right? I'm glad you're on the right path now bro, I've never been hit that hard, but I've been damn close numerous times. You're one helluva strong lad to be bouncing back. Great set up, great work in here. Will keep in touch, things are looking really great here bro.

Keith
09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Ah, I replied to your bench workout but I guess it never went through?? Bull. You and jed benching 190+ for tons of reps. Bastards! Your pressing strength sure is coming along!! You really like the flared elbows, eh? Last night I was benching and in the middle of my set I remember you saying you loved it so I tried a rep with flared elbows and I instantly tucked them back like they were scared little kittens once they see a huge dog. Strange, I know. But I guess they're so used to being tucked it's really difficult to make that big adjustment immediately. Great to hear you went out with a chick. Nothing like a good date to raise the spirit.

That's some awesome pressing. The BBB will definitely get you big and strong if you enjoy it. I expect to see some really good gains in strength and size from you by the end of the year. What's the tat say on your serratus? Get at that squat!!! I know you'll SFW!! Awesome to see you on such a high note! You deserve that, bud.

brihead301
09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Man...I just don't know about the BBB template. I've tried it before, but not for longterm though. I'll do it every once in a while if I don't feel like doing my regular assistance work with all the supersetting and s***, but it just doesn't feel like enough. 5 x 10 is good volume...but with only 50% it just doesn't feel like enough. Who the hell am I though? Wendler and everyone else swears by it, so I guess I'm gonna have to give it a legitamate shot one of these days.

Are you doing BBB for all the main 4 lifts? And will you be sticking with it for a while too?

Also, you're a maniac with those pullups!

Cmanuel
09-28-2010, 01:49 PM
come on K... do it
http://www.rmlccolorado.com/entrys/State%20Meet%202010.doc
:-D

borracho
09-28-2010, 02:49 PM
4x BW pull would definitely put an exclimation mark at the end of ones life, thats for sure.

And dude, those OHPs are effin rediculous. Thats about what I could do before I ****ed my shoulder up @ 80lbs heavier :D Awesome strength man.

Kiaran
09-28-2010, 10:46 PM
John O: For sure. I like the way that sounds, bro. Appreciate it.

Jed: The ink on my serratus is a quote from my favorite Type O Negative song. You can check it out on my facebook photos. The song is "Love You To Death." The ink wrapped around my left arm is five words with the rune stone "Jera" between each word. It says "Companionship", "Compassion", "Humility", "Consideration" and "Chivalry." That one is a long story I will tell ya later on sometime. Thanks for the encouragement bro! Very kind words there. I think 10 reps with 195 was my ME, but maybe I had one more in the tank. Learning how to push that lift like deadlifts. Rest period on the BBB sets is normal. Sometimes I will hustle it to a minute, and other times I'll take 2-3 minutes. However I feel that day.

Mark: Hey bro, thanks for stopping by! I will have to check your journal out too. Yeh, a woman can mess a man up good when he gets attached. I'm just finally getting into some acceptence stages of my grieving. It feels really good to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Appreciate the words!

Keith: WBB ate your post huh? That **** always happens to me, lol! Yeah dude, the flared elbows is great for me. I know how you feel about being cautious. I was tucking for so long I almost forgot how to flare. But I knew as soon as I did it that it was the way I need to do it. It is just where my leverage is on the lift. Tat on my serratus is a quote from my favorite Type O Negative song, "Love You To Death." I will post up pictures of some of my ink soon. Thanks for the words, bro!

Bri: Lol, BBB rules dude! I don't necessarily do 50% for my BBB sets. I step it up to 60% if I'm feeling good. Really whatever is a challenge is alright. Probably depends more on how "light" you are making your top sets. I'm doing BBB for all lifts, yes. And I do plan to stick to it, lol!

Chip: I will think about it, lol! I probably will do it though.

John: Lol, I hear that bro! Thanks for the words, hope your shoulder feels better and heals up.

Kiaran
09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 - SQ 5-3-1

TKEs
LightBand x 20
LightBand x 20

Leg Swings
Mini x 15
Mini x 15

14" Box Squats
45 x 5 (w)
135 x 3 (w)
225 x 3 (w)
250 x 5
285 x 3
315 x 4 (PR +3r)

16" Box Squats (BBB)
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10

Band Ab Pulldowns
AverageBand x 20
StrongBand x 20
StrongBand x 20

So I dropped the box 2 inches tonight since I figured it was my one-repper week and time to crush it. I realized I have never done any sort of rep-work with 315 on a box lower than 16 inches. So this was sorta a PR by default. I am sure it is something I could have achieved in the past, but it isn't a PR until you do it. So I'll take it. Took me a moment too while I was out there to realize that this was a double BW squat. Not bad! I did the BBB sets on the 16" box. Felt really good and fast but I was getting pukey by the last two sets. I really wanted to do lunges but my legs were cramping by the time I finished squats. So I did some core work.

Goin out tomorrow night and then Bench on Thursday.

Akn6fE4mcnA

16" Box Squats w/ 185 (left) and Band Ab Pulldowns w/ Strong Band (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/16InchBoxSquat-185-09282010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/BandAbPulldowns-StrongBand-09282010.jpg

john o
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
We'll certainly give you a pass on the lunges with that workout! Looking good K.

borracho
09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Awesome squat session K!! Double BW box squats FTMFW!

nickp8
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Thats badass that you hit 2 pr's this week. The military press is really impressive, I know that's one of the harder movements to improve.

StLRPh
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
on a roll with PRs!

Coke
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Looking very nice for both days, especially digging the 3pps box squats.

jed
09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Certainly interested in hearing that story whenever you feel like telling it! Really some great ink dude. I'm itchin' for some more, just haven't had the money as of late. Loving the intensity shown in that set of squats, bro. That is some solid ass weight that you just lifted. A double bodyweight low box squat for 4 reps is something to be proud of, even you don't consider it a great PR. Keep on inspiring brotha.

Kiaran
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the props you guys. Always appreciate the support. I'll be posting in journals this weekend. I totally slacked this week and while I am constantly reading your journals, I didn't have time to write feedback.

Kiaran
10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 - BP 5-3-1

H-Rolls
15s x 15
15s x 15

Shoulder Horns
5s x 20
5s x 20

Bench Press
45x10(w)
45x10(w)
95x3(w)
135x3(w)
165x5
185x3
205x8

Bench Press (BBB)
140x10
140x10
140x10
140x10
140x11

And that's it. Didn't have a lot of time cause I had therapy at 6pm. Had to hustle my ass to get there in time. Overall it was a good session. I haven't moved 205 like that in awhile. I wish it was 2pps but I am getting stronger. Making great progress and I will be bumping weight 5 lbs next cycle.

Almost forgot to mention that my new Inzer belt and wraps showed up right as I was warming up. I popped out of my garage and scared the UPS lady and had to apologize. The new wrist wraps are ****ing excellent! They have a little bit of stretch to them and so they hug my wrists nice and tight. The belt is incredible. I didn't know Inzer belts were so supple and nice. It's a 10mm leather belt but I am used to Elite FTS' prime cut belts. To be honest, EFS belts suck...sorry guys. They are stiff as boards and leave gaps everywhere when you wrap up. The Inzer is ****ing perfect. Single prong is way to go to. Screw double prong belts, lol. Definitely love it.

SoX6Mt2Phv8

Bench Press w/ 140
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Bench-140-09302010.jpg

Kiaran
10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Friday, October 1st, 2010 - DL 5-3-1

Deadlift
45 x 5(w)
135 x 5(w)
225 x 3(w)
275 x 2(w)
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 8 (PR +2r)

Curls
45 x 10
65 x 10
85 x 8
100 x 3
70 x 10

Ab Wheel
Knees x 10
Knees x 10
Knees x 10

****ing crazy session. Got home early from work and hit it. My neighbor came over for this one and he has barely ever deadlifted before. I was puttin my shoes on when he tells me "I figure we could start out with 25s and work up...maybe take it to like 225 or so?" I looked at him and smiled. Told him that would be my warmup and he needs to deadlift with me more often. He laughed. Cool guy, I like my neighbor. A little awkward though cause sometimes he lets his 8 year old daughter come on over and watch us lift or pretend to train along. It's cute, and she's a cool kid but I can't unleash the intensity when she's around cause to be honest I don't wanna scare the kid. Plus I don't wanna turn on my death metal and freak everyone out so I guess it's good practice for a competition, lol. Have to stay focused. Anyway, I did this set with both of them watching in horror as I owned the **** out of 4pps. I don't even remember seeing them. I set it down and honestly I had 1-2 more in the tank. Perfect. Training is coming along incredibly well and deadlifting once every other week is proving itself like I knew it would. My new belt felt outstanding again too. Love that thing. This was possibly one of my strongest lifts of all time. It definitely takes the cake on reps with 405.

Helped my neighbor work on his deadlift. He took it up to 175 for a double and had a great time. I like that. Got him to take his gloves off and use some chalk too. I will slowly convert him into a powerlifter, lol! I really enjoy helping people lift correctly and do things they have never done in the weight room. Maybe I am weird, I just want them to find that inner strength and see their potential shine. I don't care what they lift, I like seeing the rewarding look on their faces. Makes me happy I could help them accomplish something.

So this completes my 5-3-1 cycle. Deload next week and start another. I'm excited to see what lays ahead in my next cycle. Feeling strong and capable.

6WC8wmGzBm4

Curls w/ 85 (left) and Ab Wheel from knees (right)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/Curls-85-10012010.jpg http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/kephman/AbWheel-Knees-10012010.jpg

Mark!
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Solid workout man. I wish I had a neighbor that was interested in working out, but...the little Asians next door just fish and garden, doctor on my other side, race car driver behind me, and jack ass cady corner behind me so yeah, no luck, haha. Awesome dl's and great squats too, sorry I missed that session here. And for the record, I hate the ab roller.

Cmanuel
10-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Good stuff man. You are really kililng it this cycle. Have you thought about taking up your DLs and maybe other lifts up more than the prescribed 5 or 10 lbs for the next cycle?

borracho
10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Dude...don't even know wtf to say to that DL session...that was crazy. Enough said. Also some solid pressing..definitely has me chomping at the bit and I can't ****ing wait to get back into pressing again. You def killed this cycle and should be proud bud!

StLRPh
10-02-2010, 11:01 AM
congrats on the DL PR, very impressive. Glad you're enjoying all your new toys

Keith
10-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry I've missed the passed few workouts, I've been super busy lately. First off, awesome job with the squats!!! 315x4 is crazy at your weight! Really nice grinder there and LOTS of red face and veinage in the neck which is the only way to do it! Like you said, it's double BW and you nailed it for 4 reps! You're really coming along with those, eh? That height is right around parallel for you. Do you know exactly what parallel is for you? 13" is for me and I'm 5'9".

Great job with your benching, too. Everything's moving nicely these days eh? 205 is solid and I'm assuming you still like the flared elbows? Is the therapy just to help get over the divorce? Do you feel it's helping? Interesting about the belt. I just recently picked one up from a store and it's stiff as hell but so far I really like it. Next time I pick up a belt, I'll take your word for it and go with Inzer. EFS usually makes decent stuff but I guess not everything. I need new wraps because mine are falling apart already and I just recently bought them from a store. Next time, I'm going high end, screw it. You pay for quality but you get quality, right?

Awesome deadlifting, too, bud!! Good to hear about your neighbour. Was he impressed to see your 405? Repping that **** is just an awesome sight to see for anyone. Your speed off the floor seemed great, too! Definitely had a few more in the tank. That's funny to hear about his daughter. It would be awkward because you guys are close now so you can't just tell him to tell her to screw off, lol. And yeah, unleashing all hell infront of her would be difficult to do. So he deadlifted 175x2?! I taught Lauren how to do a conventional deadlift one day and she worked up to 200 lbs! LOL. Tell him to man it up if chicks are pulling more than him on their first day lol j/k. It is a great feeling teaching something like that. It's very rewarding and so long as they're open minded, I really enjoy talking to people about it.

Just a side note, right now our 3 big lifts are right on par with each other except you're ahead of me by 1-3 reps on each lift. I just recently benched 205x6, pulled 405x5 a few weeks back and box squatted 315x3 to 13". Just thought it's strange because I've never seen anyone with similar lifts since my deadlift is so much higher than my squat and bench. You're 30 lbs lighter than me and I know your strength will continue to climb at a great rate but right now, I'm excited to compete against you once you start your next cycle. Bring it on!!!