PDA

View Full Version : Shall I buy this bar?

NordicMan
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I learned of an Uddeholm Olympic weight lifting bar that is available for sale, second hand. It was owned by a powerlifter/Olympic lifter, who competed. He says that he never dropped it on concrete. he had a lifting platform in the home gym that he and his partner used, made basically of two layers of 3/4" plywood. He never said tha† it was never dropped, which is possible enough to happen when you are going for a heavy lift. It does not collars. The Uddeholm bar and plates were made by a Swedish company, which was purchased by Eleiko. It seems to be considered to be of the same quality as the Eleiko bar.

This fellow, who is not lifting much any more, wants to sell his bar. He is asking 350$ for it, which I should think would be a very good buy, as the regular Eleiko bar would be around three times that. There is an Eleiko training bar that sells for 799$ on sale now.

Well, I am abou† to go ahead and purchase. I would like to be able to see something before I buy it, but he is at least 1000 miles away. He acknowledged that one wo uld like to see a piece of equipment. H e said the bar had 'no wow, no flutter, and no ellipticism'.

So what do you folks think? Am I wasting t ime? I have bills to pay of many kinds, business is tough. B ut, I have wanted a good Olympic type of bar, and it should give many years of fine service, if it is in the fine s hape it is said to be.

I am about ready to buy it. This is for a springy high quality steel bar. The Iron Grip Olympic bar, which is really a training bar, like for squats and the basic good compound exercises, goes for 420$. It is n't the springy IWF approved Iron Grip bar, that is more liike 650$ . So this bar would be less, and for a real Olympic bar.

The bar was purchased in the late 1980s, so it is a little over twenty years old.

It would cost me 90$ shipping, so the final cost of the bar would be 440 $ delivered. I think it is a very good deal, if the guy is reliable. He was an Olympic lifter, his stats are available for meets he lifted in.

Well, thnaks for any opinions.

gmen5681
08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
seems like it is legit but at the same time do you need it or want it? sounds like cash is not in abundance at the moment like the rest of us. you have to put of pros and cons just like any other purchase. and if the pros are heavier then do it up.

Learning2Lift
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Check out rogues fitness. They sell new and used bars for a decent price. Also York and cap barbell make a nice bar. I just bought a cap power bar that is 2000 lb test for 200 brand new. I know its not your big name bar but gets the job done.

NordicMan
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I have an ez curl bar, that is made for standard plates, and a Peary Rader standard barbell. For Olympic plates I got a thick bar. I would like to have a standard size bar, and the Uddeholm bar was a good bar. The seller does seem quite legit, his stats for some contests can be found by looking. I would like to see the bar and see how it works, of course.

Yes, it is a good amount of dinero, but it isn't more than say a Texas squat bar, or lots of others bars. I haven't looked at Rogues Fitness, I will have to take a look see at them.

The thing that is attractive is that Uddeholm was of the same quality as Eleiko, which those bars seem to stand up to decades of use, so this is quite appealing. How can it not be.

I always liked York equipment, esp when it was made in America, which some of it is once again being made in North America.

One can find Uddeholm collars on the market, but there aren't a lot of them just hanging around.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

mastermonster
08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Are you buying it for Olympic lifting or powerlifting? If powerlifting, you can great new bars for about that price and less. I know very little about Olympic lifting equipment though.

NordicMan
08-04-2010, 01:30 AM
I wo uld use it for all kind of exercise, so a training bar can work fine. The owner who competed used it for his training in the competitive lifts(Olympic but at times powerlifts), as well as assistance exercises for Olympic lifts, front squats, back squats, all the moves, high pulls,etc. I would be using it probably more for power cleans, as I have not done Olympic lifting, to have decent training in those lifts, except I do cleans and jerks or presses, which the way I have done them are not with any competitive style, but more power cleans and jerks or presses.

I just came across this after having read about Uddeholm bars. I was considering what kind of an Olympic type bar to use(whether an Olympic type of powerlift training bar, or Olympic lift bar), and a powerlifter directed my attention to a discussion t hat featured this bar. It seemed like a fine quality bar for a relatively less expensive price.

NordicMan
08-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Are you buying it for Olympic lifting or powerlifting? If powerlifting, you can great new bars for about that price and less. I know very little about Olympic lifting equipment though.

Being as you have mentioned this, tell me what are some bars that you would consider here at this price range new as you say.

I know that about this price range there are the Texas squat bar, which is quite strong, long, and more stiff, whereas I think the Texas deadlift bar has more spring, as powerlifters seem to like a bit more spring for the deadlift. I think there is another Texas bar too.

Then there are those Iron Grip bars that I mentioned. I like them because they are made in the USA, not in china. I read that Pendlay was making a competive Olympic type bar, which I think is meant for the Olympic training market, t hat would be more money like that IWF Iron Grip bar. That is more money. Made in America pleases me, although equipment made in Sweden or Finnland is of high quality, and costs correspondingly. I am of nordic background, so the thought of one of these Swedish bars(Uddeholm or Eleiko) was all right to me.

York used to be made in America, so I liked that.

SEOINAGE
08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Can you get pictures of hte bar to see if is straight and such, and do you know if hte ends spin? I think you would have more pride in this bar and appreciate it more if you got it. It could be something you cherish even if its roughly the same price as something else that will also do the job. You do take a risk because it is used. Although it could have a positive impact on your training simply because of psychological reasons.

mastermonster
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
The Texas power bar (the one most PL meet promoters use on the bench press) is a great all around bar if you only have one bar in a gym. It's around 240-250ish. It's the bar Buddy Capp makes. At the APF National level meets that's the bars you'll see (The texas squat, deadlift, and power bar). I love those bars and traditionally the strongest lifters in the U.S. lift APF. 1200+ squats, 1000+ benches, and 1000+ deadlifts with no damage to the bars.

The only reason I'd possibly go with an Olympic lift bar in your situation is for the power cleans. If you are a guy who drops the bar from chest high like a lot of guys do with cleans, I'd go with the Oly. lift designed bar. It will still work for your other lifts and it is designed to survive being dropped hard. Powerlifting bars are not designed with that in mind. When I trained at Gold's (before Monster Barbell) I walked in on an idiot cross fit trainer showing a client how to drop his power cleans with our Oakie Dealift Bar. I went off on him, took our bar and handed him a York bar and told him to leave our **** alone. Next day when we were DLing the whole sleeve slid off the bar. Thankfully Oakie repaired it for just shipping cost (great service). By the way. That York bar I handed the trainer was one of several York bars that were bought used from the local YMCA that I'd used in the late 70's. They are still being used at that Gold's today. Tough bars! Hope this helps your decision! Good luck!

NordicMan
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks master monster, for your thoughts. Good thoughts. I dropped the standad bar I had one time, when I got stuck in a squat. I didin't have a rack or even stands, and I could not get the bar jerked back over my head, and so I dropped it. I was careful after that. I don't like to drop a bar. I bring it to shoulders, and then to a hang, but I have had times when I was trying to let it down, but I had tired myself, and the bar went to the ground fast, although I mostly absorbed the shock of the drop.

But, at times it can happen.

Yes, I would like to find a good older York Olympic bar.

From the pictures, the bar does look straight , and he said that it revolves freely and smoothly.

I will make up my mind soon, the main thing that holds me back is that I have had experience with people in business who sound good and all, and then you ©et nothing but taken advantage of. I am not saying this fellow seems that way, I would not say that, but when you have had people take advantage of your trust for a lot more money than t his, it gets you to be wary.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cmanuel
08-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Rogue fitness sells a badass bar for about 300 that york makes for them. I think its called the rippetoe and burgener bar. Its probably one of the best all purpose bars out there that can cater to both the basic strength movements and also the quick lifts. Its strong as hell too, I think westside has one that they use for rack pulls and its just fine. If you think you will be doing a lot of cleans in your training the extra whip will certainly go a long way

Tom Mutaffis
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Here is a good Olympic bar with a lifetime warranty for $350 + shipping.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/pehdne20olba.html

The bar that you are looking at may be a better bar, but if it is 20 years old and you are unsure of the condition (no pictures, etc.) then it might not be worth the risk. I would request pictures from the seller to verify the type of bar and condition before sending him hundreds of dollars; especially if he lives that far away from you.

NordicMan
08-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Here is a good Olympic bar with a lifetime warranty for $350 + shipping.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/pehdne20olba.html

The bar that you are looking at may be a better bar, but if it is 20 years old and you are unsure of the condition (no pictures, etc.) then it might not be worth the risk. I would request pictures from the seller to verify the type of bar and condition before sending him hundreds of dollars; especially if he lives that far away from you.

That is a good caution. There are pictures of the bar I have seen, it looks straight. It is hard to really see detail. The lifter who has the bar acknowledges that you cannot see the name of the bar, I don't know if it has that. He said the only way to verify this would be to tear the bar down, but that his partner, who also was an Olympic lfter, bought it for him straight from Uddeholm. Uddeholm was later purchased by Eleiko. So that is what I know about it, other than the fact that it looks straight, and the fellow was a competitive Olympic lifter, his stats can be seen for some state contests.

I could request some closer up photos, that could be helpful.

Well, it doesn't have collars, the Uddeholm collars, which were quality collars, so far as I can see, can still be found. Buying the collars would bring the cost of the bar to 540$.

I juist looked at the link Mr. Mutaffis sent. That is the good Pendlay bar now isn't it? I will take more look at this, thanks.

I have to budget again now, so it will be a wait again. I get impatient, but you have to keep up with your bills.

Cmanuel
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I juist looked at the link Mr. Mutaffis sent. That is the good Pendlay bar now isn't it? I will take more look at this, thanks.

I have to budget again now, so it will be a wait again. I get impatient, but you have to keep up with your bills.

The pendlay bars are pretty sweet. My crossfit buddy's gym has a couple of those for the quick lifts and he absolutely loves them (though i dont know if its that particular model of barbell). They do have a good bit of whip though so keep that in mind in case you are considering purchasing one for dual purpose use (quick/oly lifts and basic barbell movements).

Here is the bar I mentioned in my post above http://www.roguefitness.com/store/BR_bar.php Just figured I'd throw out some more options to you in case you do not purchase the used barbell. Good luck!