PDA

View Full Version : help! Is putting on weight around chest and stomach area normal for a beginner?

I_Esta_5
08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm a beginner weight lifter doing SS for a couple of months now I'm 5'11 185lb and BMI is 25 but I'm starting to notice I'm gaining weight mostly around my stomach & chest area. I'm concerned that i'm getting husky. Is this normal for beginners to weight training?

tom183
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Are you counting calories? If you're gaining more fat around your midsection that you'd like you're proabably eating too many calories.

I_Esta_5
08-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Are you counting calories? If you're gaining more fat around your midsection that you'd like you're proabably eating too many calories.

No. believe it or not, I'm not taking in as much calories as i should. i take only about 1800-2100 calories daily and about 150-200 g of protein unfortunately becuz i am unable to purchase food at the moment.

i try to maintain this intake but getting this amount is a struggle everyday, i get it mostly from protein shakes but im not sure how long i can keep that up. not really food. unless my parents cook dinner, that is.

HomelessTrainer
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
No. believe it or not, I'm not taking in as much calories as i should. i take only about 1800-2100 calories daily and about 150-200 g of protein unfortunately becuz i am unable to purchase food at the moment.

i try to maintain this intake but getting this amount is a struggle everyday, i get it mostly from protein shakes but im not sure how long i can keep that up. not really food. unless my parents cook dinner, that is.

Why is there no food available for you, this seems very odd that protein shakes are the only source of intake.

Joe Black
08-06-2010, 02:29 AM
For a start are you ACTUALLY eating 1800-2000? How are you counting those calories? Most people tend to estimate their calorie content and are massively suprised when they count them for real (use something like fitday.com)

Most guys put on fat in the chest and belly area, so don;t worry about the specific regions of it. If you are putting on fat too quickly, you ARE eating too much which is why I am sceptical you are eating 1800 calories.

What is your carbohydrate intake like?

I_Esta_5
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
For a start are you ACTUALLY eating 1800-2000? How are you counting those calories? Most people tend to estimate their calorie content and are massively suprised when they count them for real (use something like fitday.com)

Most guys put on fat in the chest and belly area, so don;t worry about the specific regions of it. If you are putting on fat too quickly, you ARE eating too much which is why I am sceptical you are eating 1800 calories.

What is your carbohydrate intake like?

i have protein powder with water/milk during the day 50g of protein 710 calories and 96 g of carbs. i take this 3 times a day since this is my only source of good high protein and calories. its not that i don't have food period. it's just that i'm trying to eat protein proportionate to my weight, since i weigh 185 im trying to take in that much. I still have a slim looking build but i have a little pouch in the belly area.

my famly and relatives thinks im gaining too much weight. i think its becase they're used to seeing me being very skinny at 155.

Raleighwood
08-07-2010, 09:04 AM
You need to eat real food. Not protein shakes all day.

KoSh
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
How can you get protein shakes but not food? You can get a crap load of chicken at a Sam's Club type place for cheap...

You need the real deal. Protein is a supplement... It's meant to aide your diet, not be your diet.

Off Road
08-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Not all protein supplements are created equal either. Some are loaded with calories. Try Nitrean from AtLargeNutrition (http://www.atlargenutrition.com). And eat some real food to go with it.