PDA

View Full Version : Bench question.

covpride
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
The last time i tested my 1RM i got a 10lb PR, which is good for sure, still progress. I'm just curious if there is anything in particular that would help with the sticking point around 4 inches off of my chest? I realize that a 20lb PR may just be shooting too high, but I had 275 moving and then it just stopped about 4 inches or so off of my chest.

Thanks,
DJ

robchris
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Do you do any kind of speed work? That will help get you thru any sticking point...

covpride
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, been doing speed work, bench raw also in case anybody is wondering. I train by myself and have only been powerlifting since March. I got tons to learn, I do assistance exercises (rolling db extensions, floor press), bench against bands, speed work with bands, and use bands on ME bench days. I'm just making sure there isn't something I'm missing. I've read a lot on here and think I'm doing what i need too for the most part.

ScottYard
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Floor press and 2 Board will help

Learning2Lift
08-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Occasionally when we do our speed work, on top of the normal doubled minis or doubled monsters Travis will add a choked purple or something like that. It really kicks in at the top half of the bench and hammers the tri's. It has really helped with my lock out and pushing all the way through a rep.

covpride
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the help/tips everybody, I'll be incorporating those in soon as I can.

Jake Impastato
08-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Getting stuck at that point is also a sign of week shoulders. Getting your shoulders stronger will definitely help you through that point. Try barbell front presses with the mini bands attached. This will get your bench up nice!

mastermonster
08-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Floor press and 2 Board will help

I agree strongly with the 2 boards if your sticking point is about 4 ". Gets you just under it to start. Since you are by yourself, you might try stuffing the boards under your T shirt or belt to hold them in place. Also, be careful by yourself brother!

douglasoh5
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
The way it sounds your still young/a beginner so I wouldnt really worry to much about little sticking points quite yet. you hit a 10 lb pr. be happy with it and keep up what your doing.

vdizenzo
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Many good suggestions here. You could also try rack presses from just below your sticking point.